PDA

View Full Version : Mario wins fan voting for the Pro Bowl

hobie
12-11-2008, 03:59 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-85/Final-fan-voting-for-Pro-Bowl.html

Final fan voting for Pro Bowl

DEFENSIVE END (3): 1) Mario Williams; 2) Dwight Freeney; 3) Kyle Vanden Bosch; 4) Jevon Kearse; 5) Aaron Smith.

Justice served !! And Congrats to AJ as well !! NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 11-12. So lets hope their peers don't screw them out of Hawaii

GP
12-11-2008, 04:00 PM

DEFENSIVE END (3): 1) Mario Williams; 2) Dwight Freeney; 3) Kyle Vanden Bosch; 4) Jevon Kearse; 5) Aaron Smith.

Justice served !!

HELL YEAH! Thanks, hobie.

Congrats to Mario Williams. If you read the boards, "GOOD JOB, BIG FELLA!"

Brando
12-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Congrats to Mario!:kingkong:

TheCD
12-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Congrats to Mario!:kingkong:

Boggles my mind how AJ's behind Randy Moss. I can MAYBE understand Brandon Marshall...but have either of them REALLY outperformed AJ this year?

valleytexfan
12-11-2008, 04:04 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! :d:

nero THE zero
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I feel bad for Kris Brown and Leach; they were both very deserving. Congrats to Mario and AJ nonetheless.

superdave532
12-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Justice served !! And Congrats to AJ as well !! NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 11-12. So lets hope their peers don't screw them out of Hawaii

What does that say for Brown's learning curve that 4 of the top 5 DE's are in our division, and he gets to practice against one every day?

Hope this is enough to make everyone give him a little bit of slack

nero THE zero
12-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Boggles my mind how AJ's behind Randy Moss. I can MAYBE understand Brandon Marshall...but have either of them REALLY outperformed AJ this year?

No.

Andre Johnson HOU WR 92 1,201 5
Brandon Marshall DEN WR 83 1,033 6
Randy Moss NE WR 61 841 8

hobie
12-11-2008, 04:11 PM
My guess is the players and coaches will solidify AJ as the 3rd pick, if not move him higher, since they have 2/3 of the votes. His peers know how great he is, and with them, I think its more of a respect thing than a popularity thing.

76Texan
12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
What does that say for Brown's learning curve that 4 of the top 5 DE's are in our division, and he gets to practice against one every day?

Hope this is enough to make everyone give him a little bit of slack

Right on! Congrats to Mario and AJ!

76Texan
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
My guess is the players and coaches will solidify AJ as the 3rd pick, if not move him higher, since they have 2/3 of the votes. His peers know how great he is, and with them, I think its more of a respect thing than a popularity thing.
You mean TO won't get the respect? http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Spike
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't help back to Mario's first season and all of the threads that proclaimed that the Mario pick would be a bust if he was not selected to the Pro-Bowl.

We all knew half way through last season that Mario was special. He got shafted last year - and really solidified himself this year as one of the league's best.

Congrats Mario. Congrats Texas front office. Congrats to all of the fans who defended the pick when it wasn't a popular choice.

SheTexan
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I hate this kind of voting! BUT, my congrats to Mario and AJ. KB got screwed, and that ticks me off. Best kicker in the league IMHO!!

infantrycak
12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Fan voting sucks. Bob Sanders is on the list with 5 games played on the season. Frankly, I think this should be like the "close doors" button on elevators. Its there to make the hamsters feel good but it isn't hooked up to anything.

Specnatz
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I feel bad for Kris Brown and Leach; they were both very deserving. Congrats to Mario and AJ nonetheless.

I hate this kind of voting! BUT, my congrats to Mario and AJ. KB got screwed, and that ticks me off. Best kicker in the league IMHO!!

That is why in the NFL, unlike baseball, peers and coaches have 2/3 of the vote. Those are the guys who make sure guys like Leach go to Hawaii.

gtexan02
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Fan voting sucks. Bob Sanders is on the list with 5 games played on the season. Frankly, I think this should be like the "close doors" button on elevators. Its there to make the hamsters feel good but it isn't hooked up to anything.

That button has saved me from riding with some questionably smelling individuals at least once!

infantrycak
12-11-2008, 04:40 PM
That button has saved me from riding with some questionably smelling individuals at least once!

Other than hospitals, it isn't hooked up in 99% of buildings. It's the placebo button.

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Fan voting sucks. LT has done squat this year. Slaton is having a much better year than him.

hobie
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Exactly !!

Thorn
12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
There are some questionable folks going to the pro bowl, that's for sure. In any case, congrats to Mario and AJ. Glad to see AJ going again, and Mario finally getting his due.

that is if they make it past the final vote counting. I'm pretty sure they will.

powerfuldragon
12-11-2008, 04:50 PM
he deserves it... i hope it fires him up this sunday.

TexansSeminole
12-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Congrats.

How is it that Chris Johnson is the leading vote getter for running backs??? He shouldn't even be going to the pro bowl in the first place. Well maybe I shouldn't go that far but leading vote getter for runningbacks???

infantrycak
12-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I changed the thread title. Folks seem to be confused. This is ONLY the result of the fan voting. The coaches and players still have to vote.

rockabilly
12-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Doesnt Owen Daniels also top TE's in yards and TD's?

texasguy346
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Way to crush this hamster's spirits. All this time I've patted myself on the back for showing restraint those few times I didn't push the "close doors" button on some asshat.

Goatcheese
12-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice to see D'brickawall finally stop making me look stupid for hyping him #1 in 2006.

Where is Slaton?
What is Jevon Curse doing on the list with his 2.5 sacks?
How is Favre the best AFC QB?
Where is Philip Rivers? Highest QB rating, and most TDs.
Why is Asomugha not the #1 corner?
Why is Bob Sanders and his 5 starts on here?
How is Dan Carpenter's 19/22 better than Kris Brown's 23/26?

b0ng
12-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice to see D'brickawall finally stop making me look stupid for hyping him #1 in 2006.

Where is Slaton? Fan voting sucks
What is Jevon Curse doing on the list with his 2.5 sacks? Fan voting sucks
How is Favre the best AFC QB? Fan voting sucks
Where is Philip Rivers? Highest QB rating, and most TDs. Fan voting sucks
Why is Asomugha not the #1 corner? Fan voting sucks
Why is Bob Sanders and his 5 starts on here? Fan voting sucks
How is Dan Carpenter's 19/22 better than Kris Brown's 23/26? Fan voting sucks

And now you have answers!

El Tejano
12-12-2008, 12:49 PM

This could be a blessing. He will be even more focused now and if we need him he will come through.

Silver Oak
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Congrats to all of the fans who defended the pick when it wasn't a popular choice.

Hooray for me!

I screwed the pooch in defending Carr waaaaay too long, but I redeemed myself with liking Mario from the start.

beerlover
12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
overdue :fireball:

nunusguy
12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
The fan vote is a joke. But I've also read that there's a lot of problems amoung voting for the players, who reportedly often treat it as a popularity contest just like the fans.
I dunno how popular Mario is among his peers but suspect that AJ carries major cred with other players ? Leach & Brown, & OD are all worthy as is DeMeco even though his stats are off of last years numbers. When the texans finally start winning, they will get more exposure including that all important national TV coverage and should find more of there players in the Pro Bowl.
If you really want to know who the best players are in a given year you will need to watch for the announcement of the NFLs annual "All Pros" which are decided by voting by the media, the AP I believe. Its not perfect, but far
more credible than this travesty.

kastofsna
12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
to be fair to Carpenter, his season stands out a bit more since he's an undrafted rookie and just tied a rookie record for most consecutive field goals made

with Joey Porter and Jake Long leading the voting as well as Carpenter, i'm feelin' good about things

Wolf
12-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Well deserved young man, well deserved

http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/fanzone/DEN-Mario-hula-800.jpg

http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/2007gamewallpapers.asp

Texan_Bill
12-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Well deserved young man, well deserved

http://assets.houstontexans.com/assets/fanzone/DEN-Mario-hula-800.jpg

http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/2007gamewallpapers.asp

Looks like Chris Myers got beat there, too.

BSofA04
12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Is it weird that I can tell you what game Mario is playing in simply by looking at his sack dance?

Texans34Life
12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Is it weird that I can tell you what game Mario is playing in simply by looking at his sack dance?

If you're a Texans hardcore fan, you would definitely know what that game is... :fans:

powerfuldragon
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
If you're a Texans hardcore fan, you would definitely know what that game is... :fans:

especially considering you can see a broncos helmet in that...

TheIronDuke
12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
especially considering you can see a broncos helmet in that...

+battle red

False Start
12-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Congrats to Mario and AJ! The fan voting in any sport is a popularity contest. I have to admit Ive done my fair share of ballot stuffing for the MLB All-Star game for Roy O and Lance. Hell, I do it for the Texans too. :texflag:

TEXANS84
12-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Nice pickup there. I never would have noticed that until you said something.

TexansFanatic
12-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Hilarious!

Maddict5
12-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Where is Slaton?

umm not to rain on your parade, but like you imply- its fan voting

i think you should be asking why the hell d'brick is one of the top voted OT's?

ObsiWan
12-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Where is Slaton?

this is American Idol, the NFL version.
talent may have very little to do with whether you make it or not.

What I'd like to know is who picks the names on the ballots? The fans can only vote for the choices presented; I mean, after missing most of the season, how does Bob Sanders even get on the ballot??

rush2112mn
12-13-2008, 10:37 PM
I know he is going to be very happy ......congrats...the hard work is paying off.........