PDA

View Full Version : Some SI love for Brown and Slaton ..

Honoring Earl 34
12-11-2008, 11:11 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/12/10/re-do-draft-2008/index.html?eref=T1

stingray
12-11-2008, 11:13 AM
That's awesome. Texans got two of the first 12 picks..

beerlover
12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
thought the Texans traded back to get Slaton? looks like they traded up into the top 10 (#9) then traded back up again for another high 1st to grab Duane "Franchise" Brown (#12).

oh never mind I see the Texans used that 18th pick (via Baltimore, via St. Louis) to get the #2 overall pick Joe Flacco :specnatz:

stingray
12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I see that both Ellis and Dorsey dropped to the end of the first round. DT might be the hardest position to hit on...

beerlover
12-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I see that both Ellis and Dorsey dropped to the end of the first round. DT might be the hardest position to hit on...

tell us about it :jogger:

BigBull17
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Im glad this didnt happen. Would hate to trade Slaton and Brown for Kenny.

gtexan02
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Poor NO. They are slated to use another top 10 pick on a running back in this thing

beerlover
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
funny side note is that Carloina got it right Stewart #13 & Otah #19 but paid full price :money: while Texans wound up with two higher achieving postional players. never had Steve Slaton rated higher than Jonathan Stewart (although higher than most) or Duane "Franchise" Brown the more complete LT but the results, so far, don't lie. props to Rick Smith from a guy who spends countless hours on draft stuff :)

Ole Miss Texan
12-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Baltimore traded up for Joe Flacco, he's gone so the trade is null. We'd be at 18, but it doesn't change the fact I'd pick the same person that was available at 26... BRANDEN ALBERT!!

nunusguy
12-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Veeeery interesting.
Bus as big of a Texan fan as I am, still not sure if I'd give that high of a rating
to Slaton & Brown ? But its very flattering to have one's team get such high marks from such a reasonably well regarded NFL source.

JCTexan
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Slaton and Brown. Two great players. Hopefully they continue to play great.

valleytexfan
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Another solid Texans draft... :fans:

False Start
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Thats great to see our draft picks finally getting some love. :jam:

beerlover: nice av ;)

76Texan
12-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey, Duane Brown was listed at #12 in the redo draft!

Big Lou
12-11-2008, 03:24 PM
The thing that I'm most thankful for with the new staff is the drafting.

I know Rick didn't get here until like 2007. But man 2006 was an amazing draft for this orginization. 2008 could end up bieng almost as good as 2006. If every other year this crew hits gold especially in the mid rounds this team could become and stay a powerhouse for a long time. (Not quite there yet!)

1 Duane Brown Virginia Tech
3 Antwaun Molden Eastern Kentucky
3 Steve Slaton West Virginia
4 Xavier Adibi Virginia Tech
5 Frank Okam Texas
6 Dominique Barber Minnesota
7 Alex Brink

1 Mario Williams North Carolina State
2 DeMeco Ryans Alabama
3 *Charles Spencer Pittsburgh
3 Eric Winston Miami (FL)
4 Owen Daniels Wisconsin
6 Wali Lundy Virginia
7 David Anderson Colorado State

*Just think if he wouldn't have been injured, we could have picked up a Top Tier Safety!!!!

Although Caserly is a bad word in Houston, we did get AJ, and Dunta. Even if we only had one pick in 2003 and 2004 those guys were worth it.

In my prayers every night I thank the Lord for having the Lions take Charles Rogers, instead of AJ. I work with a Lions fan, and I remind him of that every Monday.

Also thank goodness for Mario instead of Bush. I had to listed to months of crap from all the Saints refugees at my job about what a mess up that was. Now they avoid any kind of footbal talk with me! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Goatcheese
12-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Slaton deserves to be that high, but Brown most certainly does not. They have him going before Otah because he "excelled in run blocking". Otah is a beast of a run blocker, has been good in pass pro, and is more than athletic enough for any scheme. They also have him going before Branden Albert, srsly?

kastofsna
12-12-2008, 06:55 AM
man i don't even know who i'd take between Matt Ryan and Jake Long. both have been awesome

Ole Miss Texan
12-12-2008, 10:09 AM
The thing that I'm most thankful for with the new staff is the drafting.

I know Rick didn't get here until like 2007. But man 2006 was an amazing draft for this orginization. 2008 could end up bieng almost as good as 2006. If every other year this crew hits gold especially in the mid rounds this team could become and stay a powerhouse for a long time. (Not quite there yet!)

1 Duane Brown Virginia Tech
3 Antwaun Molden Eastern Kentucky
3 Steve Slaton West Virginia
4 Xavier Adibi Virginia Tech
5 Frank Okam Texas
6 Dominique Barber Minnesota
7 Alex Brink

1 Mario Williams North Carolina State
2 DeMeco Ryans Alabama
3 *Charles Spencer Pittsburgh
3 Eric Winston Miami (FL)
4 Owen Daniels Wisconsin
6 Wali Lundy Virginia
7 David Anderson Colorado State

I'm right there with you, I have been so happy with how our drafts have turned out. I'm becoming a big David Anderson fan too. I think for getting such a hard worker and great attitude in the 7th round, he's playing really well. Even Lundy wasn't that bad for a 6th round pick... In '08, Molden has been a terrific ST players and is in on every single tackle that I can tell. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop over the next couple years. Okam, if nothing else I hope fits in the rotation at DT, If he's not a starter, I think he'll be a good guy to plug in there when our big NT we draft needs a rest. I love the draft so much and I guess it's easy to when your a Texans fan!

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm right there with you, I have been so happy with how our drafts have turned out. I'm becoming a big David Anderson fan too. I think for getting such a hard worker and great attitude in the 7th round, he's playing really well. Even Lundy wasn't that bad for a 6th round pick... In '08, Molden has been a terrific ST players and is in on every single tackle that I can tell. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop over the next couple years. Okam, if nothing else I hope fits in the rotation at DT, If he's not a starter, I think he'll be a good guy to plug in there when our big NT we draft needs a rest. I love the draft so much and I guess it's easy to when your a Texans fan!

I was going to say that but you saved me the trouble . A Steve Tasker type player or close to it , is worth a 3rd round pick .

beerlover
12-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Molden has excellent speed which translates well to gunner. Hoke is working with him thats for sure. Look @ Reeves transformation from the beginning to end of season. think the transition from small school to backfied in NFL has to be a huge factor to be extra cautious which they can afford now with Duntas return. I have every confidence Antwaun Molden will become a quality starting CB in the league & thats plus pick anytime out of the draft.

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Molden has excellent speed which translates well to gunner. Hoke is working with him thats for sure. Look @ Reeves transformation from the beginning to end of season. think the transition from small school to backfied in NFL has to be a huge factor to be extra cautious which they can afford now with Duntas return. I have every confidence Antwaun Molden will become a quality starting CB in the league & thats plus pick anytime out of the draft.

Molden also had 23 reps on the bench at the combine . That would seem to help on special teams where it's pretty much a dogfight .

YoungTexanFan
12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Duane Brown does not deserve to be #12 overall in a re-do. I wouldn't even touch him in the first round in a re-do. What a joke.