PDA

View Full Version : AFC South Most Influential Division in the NFL?

barrett
12-11-2008, 10:31 AM
With the addition of Rick Smith to the NFL's competition committee (the committee that oversees all things NFL from rules to play, conduct and general "product") 3 of the 8 seats on that committee are now filled by members of the AFC South.

Jeff Fisher is the Co Chairman, BIll Polian of the Colts and Rick.

The competition committee is EXTREMELY influential in the decisions made in this league. With 3 of the 8 members coming from our division You have to think we're going to be tapped into the pulse of the decision making in this league for some time to come. It also means that Rick "good" Smith can be expected to be around for a long time.

Go Texans.

mexican_texan
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
It's all a conspiracy to move the Jaguars someplace where we would have shorter plane rides. Maybe Oklahoma needs a team.

Thorn
12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
They'd probably sell out their games in Oklahoma.

ZX758
12-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Oklahoma has a team, it's called the cowboys, they should give it to San Antonio.

RMB_Titan
12-11-2008, 12:12 PM
It's all a conspiracy to move the Jaguars someplace where we would have shorter plane rides. Maybe Oklahoma needs a team.
If Jax goes anywhere, it will most likely be to Los Angeles. Then they'd most likely move them to the NFC West and move St. Louis into the AFC South.
Haha...if that happened, at least you guys would no longer consistently be in 4th place.

DiehardChris
12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
If Jax goes anywhere, it will most likely be to Los Angeles. Then they'd most likely move them to the NFC West and move St. Louis into the AFC South.
Haha...if that happened, at least you guys would no longer consistently be in 4th place.

Several months ago, I came up with a dream realignment plan for if Jax moved to LA.

I say this knowing it would never ever happen, but here goes:

Jax to the NFC West
St. Louis to the NFC South
New Orleans to the AFC South

I think that would be great - it would instantly create two great rivalries - Ten vs. NO, and Houston vs. NO.

It makes sense geographically, too... I mean, if Indy is in the AFC South, I see no reason why St. Louis can't be in the NFC south.

Anyway, it will never happen, but it would be nice.

Brandon420tx
12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Pretty sure the saints fans already hate their division rivals to an unhealthy degree and would hate not playing them anymore

RMB_Titan
12-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Several months ago, I came up with a dream realignment plan for if Jax moved to LA.

I say this knowing it would never ever happen, but here goes:

Jax to the NFC West
St. Louis to the NFC South
New Orleans to the AFC South

I think that would be great - it would instantly create two great rivalries - Ten vs. NO, and Houston vs. NO.

It makes sense geographically, too... I mean, if Indy is in the AFC South, I see no reason why St. Louis can't be in the NFC south.

Anyway, it will never happen, but it would be nice.
Yeah. That's a good scenario as well. But I think we'd have a bigger rivalry with St. Louis...which would stem from the '99 Super Bowl. They denied us so I'm sure we would be happy to take them into our division then proceed to make them our new whipping post.

WesmanTexanfan
12-11-2008, 12:36 PM

San Antonio!

barrett
12-12-2008, 01:48 PM
please rename this thread "NFL realignment is more interesting to talk about than the mighty competition committee".

Fair enough. I don't know that I see them re arranging the divisions again. If they did, We might be one of the teams they moved and I'd hate to be in the NFC South. It's the thug Division. I love our division. I love the class of the colts, the "mean" of jax and the delinquent tax. and the um... "character" of houston. ok, ok, the nice guys of the NFL! Go Texans out nice them! but you know, when you look at those four teams we have alot more in common with the Colts organization than we do with those other two troublemakers. I'm OK with that. That is one of the most respected organizations in the league. No question. If we build a consistent winner here I see no reason that we won't be seen in that light as well. We already are very respected from a character standpoint. And I'm talking about front office and coaches more than players even.

To try and pull this thread back around, Thats why I think it's pretty cool that Smith is on the committee. These are all very respected minds in the NFL.

V Man
12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Oklahoma has a team, it's called the cowboys, they should give it to San Antonio.

Never happen, SA is called Dallas South. There are actually more cowboy fans in SA than there are in Dallas.

barrett
12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
If i'm not mistaken Dallas' fan base hast three major areas, Oklahoma, Dallas and San Antonio.

Oh, and Austin in between Longhorn drivel.

spurstexanstros
12-12-2008, 01:59 PM

I dont know if i want the Jaguars..chargers are better option

Plus I know the year we do get a team is going to be the year the Texans win a super bowl.

powerfuldragon
12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
if the competition committee's so important, how come i never heard a thing about it until rick smith was made a part of it?

barrett
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
hmmmmm how often do you hear about the NSA?

DiehardChris
12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry - didn't mean to derail your thread, Barrett.

The Competition Committee is a big deal. You hear about it every offseason when rule changes are discussed. I think it's pretty awesome that Smith is on there - plus it will add a little balance considering Jeff Fisher is the Co-Chair of the thing.

I wonder what Rick might bring up after this season? Maybe rules about how games are re-scheduled (in response to the Ike disaster). I don't know - but I like that he's on the committee... especially if it means that we'll get some more articles about it, how it works, and the ins and outs of it... that stuff is interesting to me.

barrett
12-12-2008, 02:29 PM
No need to apologize I was very much kidding....

I agree it's exciting and we couldn't be any closer to the critical decisions. Much like Fisher does with his team I'm sure Rick with look at the Texans first and say "what about the league effected this team negatively and how do we correct it?" I just think it's super cool that Polian, Fisher and Smith are all there! It bodes well for our Division in the long term.

Plus, it's like the line play of the management side of things. It doesn't get all the press but it's the most important part of the team.

oh, and honestly I thought the league handled the hurricane very well. no away "home" games and we still got to watch our team at reliant.

ChrisG
12-12-2008, 02:36 PM
i would like to keep the Jags in our division - i always love watching our games against them. Move indy

DiehardChris
12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
RE: Ike - Yeah, I really have no idea how they could have handled it differently.

I wonder if Smith is any more likely to bring up overtime reform because of how we lost to Jacksonville. I tend to think not, because as always, it can go either way.

One thing Smith might bring up - Jared Allen. He pays a measly 50K (as the freaking highest-paid defensive player in the league!!) and misses no games while Schaub misses FOUR games and our playoff hopes disappeared.

I mean - the league fined him, meaning they agreed the hits were of a malicious intent... and if they agree the hits were of malicious intent - how the HELL does he not get at LEAST a one game suspension?? What if he would have thrown a punch at Schaub's face? He probably would have been suspended - yet it wouldn't have put Matt out of four games.

So, I think that needs some reform for sure.

barrett
12-12-2008, 02:42 PM
i'd like to see them assess the "hitting" issue. i think they have to find a way to let the players play physical football with big hits without it becoming too dangerous. I completely understand their concern for the well being of the players. The game is played with so much more power and speed than even 10 years ago, The risk of serious injury is much higher. I emphasize serious because I think the league accepts that broken bones and major joint injuries are part of pro football but paralysis is a major concern for the league's overall image and just on a basic human level.

but i'm getting tired of penalties for late hits and roughing. i'd like to see them focus on the "defensless receiver" thing maybe and lay off the late hits and roughing a bit. if a guy gets shoved down so what, it's football. if a guy gets slammed to the turf, so what, it's football. all though i love to see the blindsided hits (ward etc) i think that's the kind of plays where the speed and power of the game could really cause serious injury. getting penalized for hitting a guy a half yard out of bounds after running full spead at him because he might cut back inside is ridiculous.

rick if you're reading this, drop me a line buddy!

eriadoc
12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I think they should re-write the penalty assessment rules to be x% of salary or a set amount, whichever is larger. So in Allen's case, he would have paid a higher number based on his salary, whereas a minimum fine would deter the no-name players from pulling the same stunt.

The $50K fine to Allen was the equivalent of a $200 fine to someone making $50K/yr. Annoying, but far from an actual deterrent.

powerfuldragon
12-12-2008, 05:34 PM
hmmmmm how often do you hear about the NSA?

it's like that?

Norg
12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Well the league deff want to move JAxs to a bigger city

and also get the colts out of the AFC south

barrett
12-13-2008, 01:20 AM
they do? what are you basing the colts thing on? geography? or actual information?

Dan B.
12-13-2008, 05:05 AM
I suspect that the NFL won't move to LA, and they definitely won't do so unless LA publicly funds a stadium. I say this for a few reasons.

1) Football fans in LA already watch football.

They just watch other teams. The viewership rates are unlikely to go up that much unless LA has a winning team, of which there is no guarantee.

2) Football is less reliant upon a major market than any other sport.

Due to only playing 8 games a year, fans come from a much larger radius and are able to support teams in markets that are not large enough for other sports -- like OKC, Charlotte, or New Orleans. Yeah I know they have NBA teams, but I see a lot more Memphis in them than I do Portland or Salt Lake, and I'm not sold on the long term viability of any of these basketball teams in today's economic climate. I also think it is self evident that the NFL is the only sport that could succeed in a market like Green Bay.

3) LA is too good of a bargaining chip.

Think about it:
How many teams are there in the NFL? (32)
What is the average lifespan of an NFL stadium? (around 30 years)
What is the average number of stadiums that open each year? (1 to 2)

It is too easy to simply use LA as a threat against a different team every year until they all agree to pay tax money for a stadium (and throw in a Super Bowl with vague hints of another). Remember three or four years ago when everyone was convinced Indy would move? They built a stadium and stayed, and now it's the Jags' turn. 25 years from now it will be Houston's.

-----

I think Oklahoma or San Antonio would be very successful markets for an NFL team if they agree to pay the required bribe to the right people. If not, I think cities like Portland, Las Vegas, or Birmingham would be good markets for an NFL team as well.

I also think there is a good chance that the Bills move before the Jags do, although it wouldn't require realignment to go the 60 miles or whatever from Buffalo to Toronto. The current economic climate and Buffalo's economic hardships especially are not a good match I fear.

And I think Rick Smith's post indicates that the NFL is as impressed with him as McNair.