PDA

View Full Version : "Slaton getting stronger"

TEXANS84
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Nine running backs were selected ahead of Texans running back Steve Slaton in April's NFL Draft.

Four of them -- Carolina's Jonathan Stewart, Baltimore's Ray Rice, Detroit's Kevin Smith and Kansas City's Jamaal Charles -- are sharing carries with other prominent and more experienced running backs.

Houston Texans rookie running back Steve Slaton was the 10th running back drafted in April's NFL Draft. Through 14 weeks, the 5-foot-9, 203-pound running back out of West Virginia has outperformed all but two of the nine backs taken ahead of him.

Three of them -- Dallas' Felix Jones, Pittsburgh's Rashard Mendenhall and Oakland's Darren McFadden -- have had promising rookie campaigns either ended or slowed by injuries.

Only two -- rookie of the year candidates Chris Johnson and Matt Forte -- have had the impact on their respective teams that Slaton has had on the Texans this season.

continued story.... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d3163e&template=with-video&confirm=true)

gtexan02
12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Wow. If you think about the rookie class of RBs this year, you almost couldn't have gone wrong with any of them. Really impressive group

ATXtexanfan
12-10-2008, 04:55 PM
It's so nice to have a gamebreaker that you can just hand the ball to

Carr Bombed
12-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Oakland's Darren McFadden -- have had promising rookie campaigns either ended or slowed by injuries.

What?......this was the first rookie I drafted on my fantasy team, even when healthy there has been nothing "promising" about his rookie campaign

Ole Miss Texan
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow. If you think about the rookie class of RBs this year, you almost couldn't have gone wrong with any of them. Really impressive group

So true, this has been a really impressive class.

Big Lou
12-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Obviousley he split carries early in the season, but its great that he hasn't hit the infamous "Rookie Wall".

I was worried about his size, but unless the Defense gets penetration he gets positive yards even after contact. For 203 lbs its impressive that he can move the pile at times. He also pulls that Domanick Davis (Williams) "where did he come from?" pop up out of the pile and keep on trucking trick.

I would like to see his numbers if he would have been the starter from the get go. Of course easing him in was probably best over the long term for his confidence and the speed of the game factor.

DocBar
12-10-2008, 08:17 PM
What?......this was the first rookie I drafted on my fantasy team, even when healthy there has been nothing "promising" about his rookie campaign
McFadden had a few good games, but he's had injuries and played for a HORRIBLE offense. I still think he can be an outstanding NFL RB. What, exactly, is that a picture of in your avatar? Looks like a turkey playing ostrich.

valleytexfan
12-11-2008, 12:52 AM
We always wished for that home-run threat...and now we've got him. I loved the Slaton pick from the beginning. Didn't think he'd have this kind of impact right away, but I'm very impressed with him and glad we have him on our side.

Ckw
12-11-2008, 12:57 AM
We always wished for that home-run threat...and now we've got him. I loved the Slaton pick from the beginning. Didn't think he'd have this kind of impact right away, but I'm very impressed with him and glad we have him on our side.

Same here. I was pumped when we drafted him, but I never expected he would be this good this fast. :fans:

BigBull17
12-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Same here. I was pumped when we drafted him, but I never expected he would be this good this fast. :fans:

I knew he would be good for us, I just didnt expect him to carry such a load. To have 1000+ yards with 3 games left is very good. ALso, who has the only 100 yard game against the Titans? It isnt Thomas Jones.