PDA

View Full Version : Do we need another Slaton?

badboy
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
My post on another thread just got me to thinking. Many of us have discussed the need for a power back to take load off Slaton as he really does not need 20 + attempts. I still think having a power back to get us a TD in red zone or that 3rd and short is a must. What if we selected a Slaton type back like Ian Johnson 5'11" 199 lbs 4.47 who is projected 5th - 6th round? Kubes insists the team focus is on run. Slaton 15 carries, Johnson the same and a Rashad Jennings 6'1" 232 4.46 (small college) or from Iowa Shonn Green 5'11" 235 4.54 & described as "an absolute beast"? in 3rd or 4th?

Imagine two Slatons getting 30 to 40 carries a game.

1st William Moore FS 6'1" 220 4.45 and can play either safety 7 INTs
2nd round Brandon Graham DE 6'3" 270 4.72 & may be faster at combine
3rd Shonn Green RB (as above) here is our power guy
4th London Fryar CB 5'11" 192 lbs Western Michigan. I don't think FA will help and I would be okay if Smithiak chooses not to get another CB.
5th Ian Johnson as above.

gtexan02
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
My post on another thread just got me to thinking. Many of us have discussed the need for a power back to take load off Slaton as he really does not need 20 + attempts. I still think having a power back to get us a TD in red zone or that 3rd and short is a must. What if we selected a Slaton type back like Ian Johnson 5'11" 199 lbs 4.47 who is projected 5th - 6th round? Kubes insists the team focus is on run. Slaton 15 carries, Johnson the same and a Rashad Jennings 6'1" 232 4.46 (small college) or from Iowa Shonn Green 5'11" 235 4.54 & described as "an absolute beast"? in 3rd or 4th?

4th London Fryar CB 5'11" 192 lbs Western Michigan. I don't think FA will help and I would be okay if Smithiak chooses not to get another CB.

The nice thing about having guys with differnet running abilities is that they hurt the defense in different ways. I'd love to be like the Giants, with 3 legitimate starters all receiving 5-15 carries a game

While it would be nice to have 2 more talented runners to go along with what we've got now, I think we have more pressing needs. I doubt you'll find a guy in the 5th or 6th round thats guaranteed to be as good as Steve. He's running like a top 10 pick.

Texanmike02
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd entertain the idea AFTER we get a Haynesworth type. That move will make a bigger difference to this team than any other. in my humble opinion of course.

Mike

Goldensilence
12-09-2008, 01:37 PM

I don't see this team going Safety in the first and I would rather see LB or a G for our first pick. IF we go CB will be dependent on what we do with Dunta.Do love us picking up Shonn Green and if there isn't anyone better around in the 5th Ian would give us a stable of backs to work with.

gtexan02
12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't see this team going Safety in the first and I would rather see LB or a G for our first pick. IF we go CB will be dependent on what we do with Dunta.Do love us picking up Shonn Green and if there isn't anyone better around in the 5th Ian would give us a stable of backs to work with.

I don't think we need a LB with the first as much as I used to. Diles was great, Ryans is dominant, and I've been plenty happy with Abidi so far. Since he joined hte lineup, our team has drastically improved on defense

Ole Miss Texan
12-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I have actually been thinking about this for a while too. Why not have two like him!? But I kind of came to the conclusion that having a bigger RB would be better for a couple reasons (as opposed to a very similar RB). I think in short yardage situations, a stronger back would be more effective. Also, if for some reason the Defense gameplanned really well and was able to neutrilize Slaton from kicking it out and making the big gains... the same would happen to the new guy and our running game would be rendered useless. Having a power back that fits the system would give us a different option and could keep the running game effective.

I like the idea of having a power back w/ Slaton and then a 3rd string that's like Slaton. Slaton could start and wear them out then the bruiser could run right over them b/c they're tired. Sometimes a bruiser may get more looks early and tire them out that way, and the Slaton's fresh legs could run right by them. Just some thoughts.

Having all Slatons may be like putting all your eggs in one basket. Like with WR's you want a homerun deep threat and then also a good posession wideout.

Jackie Chiles
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Does anyone really believe that Kubiak is going to be the kind of coach that will consistently run the ball 30-40 times a game? Yes we need a compliment to Steve but as long as we have success through the air we are going to be a balanced team offensively. I certainly could see a game here or there where we are milking a lead but until we get a nice defense I think getting another RB to compliment Slaton is on the list of things to do just not as high as some might think.

imatexan
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Umm no..

Thorn
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Don't need another Slaton, need a big brusing pounding back to compliment Slaton.

76Texan
12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Walker and Dorsett didn't leave up to the hype.

So, no. I think we'll be better off with a bruiser back.
Especially when we start getting better and better, it would be nice to spring out to a lead, and then have that guy who can pound it for 4 yd per down.

We may see 30 plus carries then.

Oh yeah, the Broncos had two years running when they were winning with Elway and they had more running plays then passing. They actually had 3 consecutive winning years (96-98) with a very balance attack.

They won the SB the last two years, riding the running game all the way through with Terrell Davis. (They ran even more during the play-offs.)

But by using him too much to carry the load (he was about 206 lbs), they only got 4 productive years out of that horse.

Ole Miss Texan
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I have similar worries about Demeco as I do Slaton when it comes to wear and tear.

EDIT: please disregard, don't want to derail this thread!

RipTraxx
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Doesnt 1 cut/zone blocking lend itself to smaller quicker backs? Could be wrong....

Ole Miss Texan
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Doesnt 1 cut/zone blocking lend itself to smaller quicker backs? Could be wrong....

Lends itself to backs with good patience, vision, and burst through their cut. Got to get through that hole quickly. Typically, smaller backs are faster/quicker. Just gotta find the right RB regardless of size. All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares sort of thing.

76Texan
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Not necessarily!
The Broncos had their years of using one or two big backs.
The Packers (also ZBS) this yr have a couple of big backs (Grant and Jackson.)

RipTraxx
12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Very true...thanks fellas.

How many other teams use ZBS?

DocBar
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I have actually been thinking about this for a while too. Why not have two like him!? But I kind of came to the conclusion that having a bigger RB would be better for a couple reasons (as opposed to a very similar RB). I think in short yardage situations, a stronger back would be more effective. Also, if for some reason the Defense gameplanned really well and was able to neutrilize Slaton from kicking it out and making the big gains... the same would happen to the new guy and our running game would be rendered useless. Having a power back that fits the system would give us a different option and could keep the running game effective.

I like the idea of having a power back w/ Slaton and then a 3rd string that's like Slaton. Slaton could start and wear them out then the bruiser could run right over them b/c they're tired. Sometimes a bruiser may get more looks early and tire them out that way, and the Slaton's fresh legs could run right by them. Just some thoughts.

Having all Slatons may be like putting all your eggs in one basket. Like with WR's you want a homerun deep threat and then also a good posession wideout. I would like to see a bigger back that is still versatile enough to keep oppossing D's from narrowing down the play selection by the O personnel we have in, as happened with Mark Bruener and Billy Miller at TE.

ObsiWan
12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Does anyone really believe that Kubiak is going to be the kind of coach that will consistently run the ball 30-40 times a game? Yes we need a compliment to Steve but as long as we have success through the air we are going to be a balanced team offensively. I certainly could see a game here or there where we are milking a lead but until we get a nice defense I think getting another RB to compliment Slaton is on the list of things to do just not as high as some might think.

perhaps...

We ran the ball 31 times against the Pack on Sunday. Okay, Turk's little panic scamper doesn't count. But that's still 30 carries. If we had a second RB that wouldn't tip our hand - i.e., when he comes in everyone KNOWS we're about to run - I could see 30-35 carries/game. Especially if we're eating clock to play keep away to high-powered offenses and preserve a lead.

steelbtexan
12-09-2008, 10:08 PM
I would like to see us take Goodson in the 5th rd.

I believe he will be available.

mexican_texan
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Minnesotta and Rich Rodriguez' West Virginia are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Norg
12-09-2008, 10:46 PM
With all the INT we have been having i dont think Kubes likes to go to the air even tho thats one of our strong points so he has no choice to throw it

b0ng
12-09-2008, 11:03 PM

When it's 3rd and goal on the 1 all that ZBS finesse stuff goes out the window. We should draft (In a low round on day 2) a guy who can push a pile for a yard.

SteveSlaton20
12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
um no...

mexican_texan
12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
um no...
Bit of a bias there, Steve?

Big Lou
12-09-2008, 11:11 PM
When it's 3rd and goal on the 1 all that ZBS finesse stuff goes out the window. We should draft (In a low round on day 2) a guy who can push a pile for a yard.

I couldn't agree more. I was trying to explain that to someone the other day. Some people just don't understand that in the Redzone things change drastically.

Besides short yardage and goal line, just think what a big bruiser could do to wear a defense down. Put Slaton in after a couple of hard runs by a big guy and he'll peel off even more 20+ yard carries.

SteveSlaton20
12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Bit of a bias there, Steve?

lol

but i think we need to work on our defense before we get another steve.

b0ng
12-09-2008, 11:12 PM
um no...

Sweet first post whoever you are.

Anyways, I want a big back who can pick up tough yards, and can punish some LB's.

Those guys can be had later on in the draft I'm just sayin. . .

Big Lou
12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
lol

but i think we need to work on our defense before we get another steve.

I absolutely agree.

1. Big Time Safety
2. Defensive Line (Again!)
3. RB (The Thunder)
4. Project QB or whatever
5-7. Center

SteveSlaton20
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I absolutely agree.

1. Big Time Safety
2. Defensive Line (Again!)
3. RB (The Thunder)
4. Project QB or whatever
5-7. Center

I was think about Brian Orakpo to be our first draft pick.

We really really need to work on our QB,

Sage and Matt both have 20+ INTs.

I know Matt had a great game against the packers, but their defense sucks.
Let hope he does good rest of the season.

b0ng
12-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I know Matt had a great game against the packers, but their defense sucks.
Let hope he does good rest of the season.

Give him some credit. He was still playing against Al Harris and Charles Woodson. It's not like the Texans used the passing game sparingly even against what is arguably the best (even if it's highly injured) secondary in the NFC.

DexmanC
12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Does anyone really believe that Kubiak is going to be the kind of coach that will consistently run the ball 30-40 times a game?

Kubiak's scheme is to run the ball WELL ENOUGH to get LINEBACKERS to
BITE on PLAYACTION. That's quite obvious.

Mr. White
12-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Seems like Vonta could get some more carries in the meantime.

Hardcore Texan
12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't need another Slaton, need a big brusing pounding back to compliment Slaton.

I agree. I would like us to go CB, LB, or DE in the first round. Where's Coffee projected to go?

HOU-TEX
12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree. I would like us to go CB, LB, DT or DE in the first 4 rounds. Where's Coffee projected to go?

I made a little adjustment to your post, HT. Hope ya didn't mind. :winky:

Vinny
12-10-2008, 09:26 AM

I'd point to the Giants, Ratbirds and Titans as the ideal RB tandems (or trios)....each team has a guy who can play well vs different defensive fronts and strengths. I think I'd rather stock a RB stable that is more diverse than a one dimensional style rb corps.

BigBull17
12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Sweet first post whoever you are.

Anyways, I want a big back who can pick up tough yards, and can punish some LB's.

Those guys can be had later on in the draft I'm just sayin. . .

And can make intresting match up problems, if they are both in the game at the same time. Slaton is versitle enough for that.

Mr teX
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
No...we need a stephen davis type punishing back....

swtbound07
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
If we don't draft a safety in the first this year we deserve what we get....which is more 80+ yard touchdown passes. It won't matter who is running the ball.....we will lose games badly.

mussop
12-10-2008, 04:55 PM
I would love to see us draft Donald Brown of uconn 3rd or later.

mussop
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
If we don't draft a safety in the first this year we deserve what we get....which is more 80+ yard touchdown passes. It won't matter who is running the ball.....we will lose games badly.

Sorry first round is reserved for positions that make plays around the line of scrimage.:brando:

mattieuk
12-10-2008, 05:52 PM
We do need a Thunder, not a carbon copy of Slaton, for reasons already mentioned in this thread. The last thing we want is Stevie going in constantly looking for the yard in 3rd and 1 situations and getting himself all knocked up, and missing games.

Firstly we need to see if this is an option for our power back:

Texans short yardage solution (http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/NoFatClips/MrT.jpg)

If not, perhaps a few extra burgers, and a tube of superglue could be sent the way of the now-450lb ex-Texans wrecking ball who endeared himself to many during the past few seasons...

I don't really see anyone coming into FA that would fit the bill (assuming the likes of Jacobs doesn't fancy the less glamourous tidings of Houston), so I guess we'll be looking toward the later section of the draft for the solution here (perhaps someone along the lines of Rodney Ferguson out of New Mexico, who will be availible well into the second day) although as the ground game has fared well this year, I don't think we're looking to any big comittment towards this position this offseason, especially with a couple of other gaps.

ObsiWan
12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd point to the Giants, Ratbirds and Titans as the ideal RB tandems (or trios)....each team has a guy who can play well vs different defensive fronts and strengths. I think I'd rather stock a RB stable that is more diverse than a one dimensional style rb corps.

And as much as I dislike admitting the Cowpatties did something right, pairing Felix Jones with Marion the Barbarian was a good move.

leebigeztx
12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not really into the bruiser type back compliment stuff. Who was LT or Faulks bruier? If the line gets movement, rb's can run. I think Sapp wil be that short yardage type. If they want another guy to share carries, they can ge Davenport who fits the bill,plus he can handle 3rd down and special teams. He's big,strong and fast. Also a guy like Bush from oakland via trade 4th rd , or a guy like ward.

DocBar
12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
After thinking about it for a bit, I just want another good ZBS running back regardless of size. If he can run in the ZBS, he fits our system. If we need to get cute for short yardage, give the rock to Leach and put a DT or OL as FB and let him HAMMER his way to the end zone. People getting caught up in body types is what has allowed several good RB's to fall to the late rounds or get "type cast" to a particular set of plays. Just find another good RB and it'll help keep defenses guessing. That's what the ZBS is predicated upon. Are they gonna run or throw? Look at the Wildcat offense. After a few weeks, DC's started game planning it and it's not as successful now. I also see Slaton putting on a few pounds in the offseason and doing more conditioning to be able to handle more of the load.

infantrycak
12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not really into the bruiser type back compliment stuff. Who was LT or Faulks bruier? If the line gets movement, rb's can run. I think Sapp wil be that short yardage type. If they want another guy to share carries, they can ge Davenport who fits the bill,plus he can handle 3rd down and special teams. He's big,strong and fast. Also a guy like Bush from oakland via trade 4th rd , or a guy like ward.

Big bruiser back is fine to me so long as he wins it on proven nose for short yardage rather than size. Personally, I think some of the best short yardage backs of all time have been ordinary sized RBs with great vision, balance and leg drive--Payton, Smith, Holmes, etc. Ahman Green was great in this regard at his prime without being a big RB. Maurice Jones Drew is a great short yardage guy. Not that we will ever get him but he would be a perfect pairing with SS regardless of lack of size.

DocBar
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Big bruiser back is fine to me so long as he wins it on proven nose for short yardage rather than size. Personally, I think some of the best short yardage backs of all time have been ordinary sized RBs with great vision, balance and leg drive--Payton, Smith, Holmes, etc. Ahman Green was great in this regard at his prime without being a big RB. Maurice Jones Drew is a great short yardage guy. Not that we will ever get him but he would be a perfect pairing with SS regardless of lack of size. I agree. It's hard to measure heart and "try".

Tailgate
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Exactly. Simply put, we need someone who can specialize in getting the short yards and is a major threat when we get inside the 5... whomever or whatever sized back he is. The advantage of a bit of a larger back would be the ability to take the pounding in a crowded trench imo.

DocBar
12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Exactly. Simply put, we need someone who can specialize in getting the short yards and is a major threat when we get inside the 5... whomever or whatever sized back he is. The advantage of a bit of a larger back would be the ability to take the pounding in a crowded trench imo.
A larger back might not have the ability to make a player miss in close quarters. Better to miss the pounding altoether than take most of it. I say just get a good athelete and he'll make his own yardage as Slaton has done much of the year.

ChampionTexan
12-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Big bruiser back is fine to me so long as he wins it on proven nose for short yardage rather than size. Personally, I think some of the best short yardage backs of all time have been ordinary sized RBs with great vision, balance and leg drive--Payton, Smith, Holmes, etc. Ahman Green was great in this regard at his prime without being a big RB. Maurice Jones Drew is a great short yardage guy. Not that we will ever get him but he would be a perfect pairing with SS regardless of lack of size.

You're right - some guys just know how to get to paydirt. Marcus Allen was another one of those guy who wasn't a bruiser, but knew how to get home.

leebigeztx
12-11-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't care how big the back is, if the line gets blown up and pushed in the backfield, it doesn't matter. Inside the 5 is a perfect time to do anything, but he team has to execute. Whether it be a boot option route or a dive. Brett Favre has the most td's inside the 5 in the history. Why? He can squeeze the ball in tight spots plus he uses the back of the end zone good. With Daniels,Walter, Johnson and slaton, this team shouldn't have red zone problems, but the smallish center and to prone qb's have problems. I just like the idea of another good back that can help carry the load.

threetoedpete
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM

I'm on this band wagon.

My flavors of the off season are Harvey Unga of BYU in the fourth, a Larry Moriority type with soft hands like Dav Anderson....and Chase Daniels in the 6th....a slasher QB/PR type. See if Daniels can make the tranistion to RB and be the third/emergency QB. Cheap.

Hit the holes on defense early and hard.

Knee jerk ? We just hit gold drafting Tony Dorsett (SP?) in the third. You build a platoon of guys around that. Guys who can keep him fresh and healthy. You don't take fifty % of his touches away.

dump Green. dump Criss Taylor....give Moats and Cecile Sapp a fair shot in the off season. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

76Texan
12-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm on this band wagon.

My flavors of the off season are Harvey Unga of BYU in the fourth, a Larry Moriority type with soft hands like Dav Anderson....and Chase Daniels in the 6th....a slasher QB/PR type. See if Daniels can make the tranistion to RB and be the third/emergency QB. Cheap.

Hit the holes on defense early and hard.

Knee jerk ? We just hit gold drafting Tony Dorsett (SP?) in the third. You build a platoon of guys around that. Guys who can keep him fresh and healthy. You don't take fifty % of his touches away.

dump Green. dump Criss Taylor....give Moats and Cecile Sapp a fair shot in the off season. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.Moats is a decent back, except I'm still concerned about his fumbling problem.

I don't think we'll be drafting a RB high, anywhere between the third and the fifth is fine. We need between 8 to 10 carries from other backs besides Slaton, and I don't see the Texans spending a fortune on this position.

76Texan
12-11-2008, 03:45 PM

I've read that most, if not all the NFL teams have incorporated some ZBS into their offense here and there.

The Falcons were using it quite a bit while they had Gibbs, dunno whether they are still sticking to it heavily or not.
The Raiders were switching to it a couple of years ago, not sure if it's still their main scheme.
The Panthers have been running it quite a bit.

I've seen other teams running some thing similar or off the ZBS like the Bucs, the Colts, and others that I can't recall.

Quite a few college teams are running some version of it.
Even the HS teams are getting into it now.

The Pencil Neck
12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
I've read that most, if not all the NFL teams have incorporated some ZBS into their offense here and there.

The Falcons were using it quite a bit while they had Gibbs, dunno whether they are still sticking to it heavily or not.
The Raiders were switching to it a couple of years ago, not sure if it's still their main scheme.
The Panthers have been running it quite a bit.

I've seen other teams running some thing similar or off the ZBS like the Bucs, the Colts, and others that I can't recall.

Quite a few college teams are running some version of it.
Even the HS teams are getting into it now.

Don't forget the Packers, they're a ZBS team as well.

The1ApplePie
12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping Maroney gets cut from the Pats

Maroney + Steve would be a great combo

badboy
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't see this team going Safety in the first and I would rather see LB or a G for our first pick. IF we go CB will be dependent on what we do with Dunta.Do love us picking up Shonn Green and if there isn't anyone better around in the 5th Ian would give us a stable of backs to work with.If you use 1st round for LB, you are either saying you think the rookiew will beat out either Diles, Ryans or Adibi. Or you are using the first selection on an back up LB? I think coaches feel we are set with our starters at this position. Also, team's stated position is not to go Oline in 1st. We saw a divergeance with Duane Brown because they thought he was much better than anyone in 3rd as we did not have a 2nd.

badboy
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Having all Slatons may be like putting all your eggs in one basket. Like with WR's you want a homerun deep threat and then also a good posession wideout.We are on same page OMT. My suggestion was bringing in a power back pair with Slaton and then to have an Ian Johnson type back with similar skills to Slaton to give Super Slick more down time. My approach would be like yours, run SS 5-6 plays alternating when appropriate with the bigger back; then run Johnson 3-4 plays. We would have a speedster more fresh (if that is correct English) in 4th quarter. You guys should research Ian Johnson @ Boise State. Many besides me were hoping he would come out last draft.

beerlover
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
its running back by committee, surely any knucklehead with half a brain can figure out the Texans are razor thin @ RB :mcnugget:

badboy
12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Does anyone really believe that Kubiak is going to be the kind of coach that will consistently run the ball 30-40 times a game? Yes we need a compliment to Steve but as long as we have success through the air we are going to be a balanced team offensively. I certainly could see a game here or there where we are milking a lead but until we get a nice defense I think getting another RB to compliment Slaton is on the list of things to do just not as high as some might think.Depending on the team playing, I think that would be exactly what he would do. Kubes has repeatedly said he want to be a running team to control clock. If defense continues to get better, Texans will have even more offensive sets allowing more running plays. Hard to argue when Slaton is avg 5.0 a carry. 30- 40 running plays spread among Slaton, Shonn Green 230+ lbs and Ian Johnson? I can hear Kubes going "hell, yeah!". With more offensive sets, the passing game would not sugger too much. Some of you might remember a U. of Texas coach named Darryll Royal "three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad."

badboy
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Doesnt 1 cut/zone blocking lend itself to smaller quicker backs? Could be wrong....and how has that been working out for us in the red zone?

badboy
12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
lol

but i think we need to work on our defense before we get another steve.Read my thread again entirely. FS, a position long called for to be addressed was my first round selection. DE was my 2nd round selection.4th round is a corner. That is taking care of defense. A power back in 3rd and another Slaton type in Ian Johnson 5'11" 199 and 4.47 speed. :splits:

badboy
12-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey, everyone, thanks for the comment. I appreciate the feed back. We will beat the Titans!

Seņor Stan
12-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey, everyone, thanks for the comment. I appreciate the feed back. We will beat the Titans!

If we got another Slaton we could use him to power the newly christened "2BADBOY."

It would basically be a rowboat with Steve Slayton hanging off of the back end and kicking. It would go almost as fast and save some gas money.

Thorn
12-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Speaking of Slaton, the all time single season rushing record for the Texans is 1188 by Domick Davis. Slaton needs 165 yards to beat that. I'm pretty sure Slaton will be the Texans single season rushing champ by the end of this season.

Spike
12-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Speaking of Slaton, the all time single season rushing record for the Texans is 1188 by Domick Davis. Slaton needs 165 yards to beat that. I'm pretty sure Slaton will be the Texans single season rushing champ by the end of this season.

With the last 12 yard run, Slaton had another 100 yards today...not to mention a very headsy, un-selfish kneel when he saw he got the first down.

I am so impressed with this player. AJ is our all-star, Schaub is playing smarter, Kevin Walker and Owen Daniels have been nails all year...but I think Slaton has to be considered as this team's MVP. Kubes system doesn't work unless you have someone back there that can get yards on a regular basis.

We need another back to spell Slaton and keep him fresh next season, but he is looking like a special player.

Thorn
12-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Slayton needs 65 yards next week to become the Texans all time single season rushing leader. Since we are playing Oakland, I think he'll get it.

Ckw
12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
With the last 12 yard run, Slaton had another 100 yards today...not to mention a very headsy, un-selfish kneel when he saw he got the first down.

I am so impressed with this player. AJ is our all-star, Schaub is playing smarter, Kevin Walker and Owen Daniels have been nails all year...but I think Slaton has to be considered as this team's MVP. Kubes system doesn't work unless you have someone back there that can get yards on a regular basis.

We need another back to spell Slaton and keep him fresh next season, but he is looking like a special player.

No doubt he is a special player. In my opinion, he was the best pick of the entire draft (taking into account draft position combined with his production).

Jackie Chiles
12-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I wonder what happens to him in the ROTY race if we manage to win our last two games. I don't see anyone beating out Matt Ryan but Slaton as been every bit as productive as Forte and as electric as Chris Johnson. 100 yard games in 4 of the last 5, unreal.

RipTraxx
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Which RBs in the upcoming draft use the ZBS/One cut method in college.

DocBar
12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
We need to use Slaton a little more like Philly uses Westbrook. That dude is a STUD. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302144