PDA

View Full Version : My NFL BCS Stupid Little Rankings Thing

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 11:54 AM
i haven't done this in a while, and i'm bored at work, so i threw together a rankings for the NFL, BCS-style, with lots of stats and spreadsheet action.

the factors that go into the rankings are the play on the field and strength of schedule. the actual record of the teams are completely left out, just so i could see how accurate the rankings were. again, wins and losses play NO part in this.

1 - NY Giants: 89.52
2 - Baltimore: 86.62
3 - Philadelphia: 83.78
4 - Tennessee: 82.32
5 - Pittsburgh: 79.78
6 - Arizona: 71.36
7 - New Orleans: 62.73
8 - Tampa Bay: 57.54
9 - Dallas: 55.48
10 - Washington: 49.66
11 - Miami: 47.65
12 - New England: 36.11
13 - Minnesota: 34.91
14 - Carolina: 28.75
15 - Houston: 27.43
16 - Atlanta: 25.91
17 - Indianapolis: 16.70
18 - NY Jets: 15.96
19 - Denver: 9.82
20 - Green Bay: 9.62
21 - Jacksonville: -5.70
22 - Chicago: -7.24
23 - Buffalo: -8.92
24 - San Diego: -11.90
25 - San Francisco: -40.77
26 - Cleveland: -86.16
27 - Kansas City: -97.36
28 - Oakland: -105.33
29 - Seattle: -132.18
30 - Cincinnati: -138.23
31 - St. Louis: -139.06
32 - Detroit: -147.66

looks pretty good to me. a few oddities, but that's expected.

for the record, the actual stats that factor into the game stats are offensive and defensive yardage divided by the plays from scrimmage, points scored and allowed, and turnovers. pretty simple.

Carr Bombed
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Didnt the Giants just lose to the Eagles?

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
yup they sure did. they also beat them earlier in the season

Carr Bombed
12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
yup they sure did. they also beat them earlier in the season

I remember a certain team that beat another certain team earlier in the season and they still got passed up. :) Remember the BCS is all about the here and now. j/k

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I remember a certain team that beat another certain team earlier in the season and they still got passed up. :) Remember the BCS is all about the here and now. j/k

well maybe if they played twice in a season in college it'd be different. but on paper, the Giants and Eagles split the season series. besides, these rankings don't actually include wins or losses, so there's no tiebreakers or anything, just straight up performance

Hookem Horns
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Baltimore blew out the Eagles, the Eagles beat the Giants late in the season. How is Baltimore below the Giants? Sure I know the Giants beat Baltimore head to head however that was several weeks ago and it shouldn't matter now. You have to look at how the Ravens destroyed the Eagles and earned style points.

If you are trying to duplicate the BCS you are not doing a good job of it.

TexanSam
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Baltimore blew out the Eagles, the Eagles beat the Giants late in the season. How is Baltimore below the Giants? Sure I know the Giants beat Baltimore head to head however that was several weeks ago and it shouldn't matter now. You have to look at how the Ravens destroyed the Eagles and earned style points.

If you are trying to duplicate the BCS you are not doing a good job of it.

Sure he is. The BCS always has some screwed up rankings. It always has teams left out that are deserving. So do these rankings. IMO, it's spot on using that criteria.

bah007
12-09-2008, 12:58 PM
It really is embarassing to see some of my fellow UT fans still crying about this. It happened. We can't do anything about it but beat the tar out of Ohio St and prove why we should have been there.

If we don't beat Ohio St, all this whining would have been for nothing.

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Longhorn fans only like it when it goes in their favor. like when Mama Mack Brown whines for a week to get voters to drop Cal 4 or 5 spots in the polls so he can go to a BCS game

Texan_Bill
12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
It really is embarassing to see some of my fellow UT fans still crying about this. It happened. We can't do anything about it but beat the tar out of Ohio St and prove why we should have been there.

Y'all will beat OSU. Question is: by how much? :thisbig:

bah007
12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
ALL fans only like it when it goes in their favor. like when Mama Mack Brown whines for a week to get voters to drop Cal 4 or 5 spots in the polls so he can go to a BCS game

Fixed that for you.

I don't remember Mack whining for the Rose Bowl. I remember him asking people to move us up. They did. We proved we belonged there. Cal proved why they didn't.

Hookem Horns
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM

What are you embarrassed about? How is that analogy off? It's the same exact thing. Believe me I was whining after 2005 believe it or not. Texas was no real champion in 2005, how could they be? They only beat one team that didn't earn anything either. The system is a complete joke whether it works in UT's favor or not. There is no true champion in college football and that has always been what I have been whining about for years.

Texan_Bill
12-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Longhorn fans only like it when it goes in their favor. like when Mama Mack Brown whines for a week to get voters to drop Cal 4 or 5 spots in the polls so he can go to a BCS game

Q: What college coach doesn't politic?

Hookem Horns
12-09-2008, 01:20 PM

I don't know about that. If you are a player how do you get up for an exhibition game? If they beat OSU they are not advancing anywhere. Sure they might be motivated to prove people wrong however even if they beat OSU by 40 points it doesn't prove anything except they are better than the #10 team in the country. Actually it might not even prove that in some people's minds.

bah007
12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't know about that. If you are a player how do you get up for an exhibition game? If they beat OSU they are not advancing anywhere. Sure they might be motivated to prove people wrong however even if they beat OSU by 40 points it doesn't prove anything except they are better than the #10 team in the country. Actually it might not even prove that in some people's minds.

Mack might be able to convince the kids that a big victory could earn them an AP national title.

That would give them something to play for, especially seniors like Orakpo, Miller, Cosby, etc...

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Q: What college coach doesn't politic?
the point is whining about the system only when it goes against you is silly.
I don't remember Mack whining for the Rose Bowl. I remember him asking people to move us up. They did. We proved we belonged there. Cal proved why they didn't.
you can call it what you want

and those are two totally different situations. Cal was coasting to a BCS game, then they get slighted by a ridiculous sytem and coach and stupid voters, so suddenly their interest in the Holiday Bowl drops a bit. happens every year across the bowl landscape. that's why i've never put much interest in chest-bumping in non-BCS bowls

besides, the reason Cal didn't go to a BCS game wasn't because they didn't deserve to go, and that Texas deserved it more. and you know that

Hookem Horns
12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
the point is whining about the system only when it goes against you is silly.

you can call it what you want

and those are two totally different situations. Cal was coasting to a BCS game, then they get slighted by a ridiculous sytem and coach and stupid voters, so suddenly their interest in the Holiday Bowl drops a bit. happens every year across the bowl landscape. that's why i've never put much interest in chest-bumping in non-BCS bowls

besides, the reason Cal didn't go to a BCS game wasn't because they didn't deserve to go, and that Texas deserved it more. and you know that

The whole frustrating part from a fan's perspective is whining, politicing, and running up scores (unsportsmanship) is part of the "game". Mack obviously did what he had to do to get his team where it needed to go, that is his job unfortunately. Is it right? No, but it's not his fault it is the fault of the morons that won't put in a legitimate playoff system.

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
no, i'd say begging for votes is pretty unsportsmanlike

bah007
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM

I would rather my coach beg for extra votes and look like a sissy than run up the score ruthlessly and look like an asshole.

Yankee_In_TX
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Neg. Rep. (kidding)

Texan_Bill
12-09-2008, 02:03 PM
The whole frustrating part from a fan's perspective is whining, politicing, and running up scores (unsportsmanship) is part of the "game". Mack obviously did what he had to do to get his team where it needed to go, that is his job unfortunately. Is it right? No, but it's not his fault it is the fault of the morons that won't put in a legitimate playoff system.

As painfull as it is for me to admit, maybe Mack should have hung a 60+ spot on A&M. I guess that 49-9 is not convincing enough for some.

Mr teX
12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I would rather my coach beg for extra votes and look like a sissy than run up the score ruthlessly and look like an asshole.

This isn't little league. If u can't stop your opponent then u have no one to blame but yourself b/c u suck. If your opponent gets mad b/c they're letting u score at will, they can go practice harder or go kick rocks & pout about it. Running up the score is part of college football & i sure as hell don't hear anybody crying about lopsided scores when they're hammering some div. 18 school. It's only when the banner programs get done that way.

That's not to say you're crying or anything....

bah007
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
This isn't little league. If u can't stop your opponent then u have no one to blame but yourself b/c u suck.

I agree with that to a point.

But at least put in your back-ups. There is no point in having your starters scoring points late in the 4th quarter of a blowout unless you are intentionally trying to rub it in.

It's called having class. It's not in the rule book. It's a respect thing.

Mr teX
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree with that to a point.

But at least put in your back-ups. There is no point in having your starters scoring points late in the 4th quarter of a blowout unless you are intentionally trying to rub it in.

It's called having class. It's not in the rule book. It's a respect thing.

yeah, that's unacceptable but sometimes the talent level is so lopsided that even when u have 2nd stringers in it's still not enough.

gg no re
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
yeah, that's unacceptable but sometimes the talent level is so lopsided that even when u have 2nd stringers in it's still not enough.

or in the case of the OU-A&M massacre a few years ago the 5th stringers weren't enough

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 02:18 PM
at least the latter is something you do on the field. filling inboxes with tear-soaked emails is pathetic. i'd rather my coach go unsportsmanlike with the pads on, and i don't mean the kneepads, which is Mack Brown's preferred method

bah007
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
...the reason Cal didn't go to a BCS game wasn't because they didn't deserve to go, and that Texas deserved it more. and you know that

Texas was 4-1 against top 25 teams with the loss coming against #2.

Cal was 1-1 with the loss coming against #1.

Texas had a better resume than Cal and that is why they got into the game.

If you wanna hate Texas and Mack Brown because he pleaded for votes then go right on ahead. You have that right. But Texas was the better team that year and the overall season of work proved it.

gg no re
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Didn't Cal get destroyed by Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl that season or was I thinking of another year?

bah007
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Didn't Cal get destroyed by Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl that season or was I thinking of another year?

They did.

But Kastofsna would have you believe that they lost because they were sad that they didn't make it to the Rose Bowl.

kastofsna
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
lol

Carr Bombed
12-09-2008, 07:26 PM

Umm.....who around the top of the BCS rankings doesn't "beg for votes". In year's past Mack has done it before, Stoops has done it before, Meyer has done it before, Carrol has done it before.......everybody begs for votes. It's just another reason why the BCS needs to be done with....it's just a pageant contest and way too political. Don't blame the coaches (and the same goes with running up the score), blame the system that forces them to do what they do.

kastofsna
12-10-2008, 08:22 AM
hmm, no, they really haven't begged for votes, certainly not to the pathetic level of Mack Brown. not even close.

but regardless, this thread has become defunct

ATX
12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
All I know is Oklahoma has looked pathetic the last couple BCS games they played whether it was the embarrassing loss to Boise State or the butt kicking USC gave them a few years back. Florida will destroy OU this year and alot of those voters will have to question why exactly they ranked OU so high, when Texas-Florida would have been a better game.

Texan_Bill
12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
To add to ATX's post:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/02/sports/fiesta.1.600.jpg

and BTW Sooner fan..... Boomer Sooner is the worst song ever. And do you really need to play it after every first down, timeout, water boy break, commercial break, etc???

kastofsna
12-10-2008, 12:20 PM
i always go to the NFL section of this forum for college football discussion!

Mr teX
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
All I know is Oklahoma has looked pathetic the last couple BCS games they played whether it was the embarrassing loss to Boise State or the butt kicking USC gave them a few years back. Florida will destroy OU this year and alot of those voters will have to question why exactly they ranked OU so high, when Texas-Florida would have been a better game.

yeah, b/c we all know past bowl performances predict what's gonna happen in future bowls. Thank god no one told Tom Osbourne that around 1990. He would've never won a NC & we never would've got to see 2 of the best college football teams ever assembled.....

kastofsna
12-10-2008, 03:52 PM
yeah, Oklahoma kinda has a national title under their belt in the BCS system. clearly they're more than capable of winning a BCS game

Dan B.
12-10-2008, 04:39 PM
To add to ATX's post:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/02/sports/fiesta.1.600.jpg

and BTW Sooner fan..... Boomer Sooner is the worst song ever. And do you really need to play it after every first down, timeout, water boy break, commercial break, etc???

No offense intended, and I am a UT grad who pulls for the Horns every game, but our school song might just be the worst in college football. "I've been workin' on the railroad?" Come on, Texas.

kastofsna
12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
anyway, tweaked the rankings a bit, this time included the team's record to show where they would stand in a BCS power rankings thing:

1. Tennessee: 154.42
2. Pittsburgh: 136.39
3. NY Giants: 127.57
4. Carolina: 121.15
5. Baltimore: 120.96
6. Tampa Bay: 109.86
7. Indianapolis: 102.94
8. Philadelphia: 99.05
9. Miami: 89.14
10. Chicago: 85.73
11. Arizona: 74.57
12. NY Jets: 67.80
13. Atlanta: 62.70
14. Minnesota: 61.20
15. New England: 55.89
16. Dallas: 55.23
17. San Diego: 53.94
18. Green Bay: 51.39
19. New Orleans: 44.12
20. Washington: 29.63
21. Cleveland: 19.62
22. Houston: 0.23
23. Buffalo: -1.86
24. Jacksonville: -5.41
25. Denver: -8.14
26. Kansas City: -23.22
27. San Francisco: -42.65
28. Seattle: -52.17
29. Oakland: -56.04
30. Cincinnati: -85.19
31. St. Louis: -118.69
32. Detroit: -126.00

before i factored in record, as well as turnovers and SOS, the Eagles were ranked the best. so just being good on paper can only take you so far