PDA

View Full Version : So next year is our chance!!

marv800
12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
With next year's schedule being the NFC West, and our own division faltering, next looks promising.

We face Seattle and SanFran at home and face Arizona and Seattle on the road. Based on this years teams, we can easily win three out of those four with a strong chance against Arizona.

Assuming we win twice against Jax and our home games against Indy and Tennessee, thats already 7 or 8 wins in the bag!

If we can just split the remaining 6 games, we are looking at a season of a minimum of 10 games!

Playoffs baby!!!

Maybe it will be time for us to take book tickets to Miami in February 2010?

eriadoc
12-09-2008, 09:36 AM
With Jax disintegrating and the Colts having a down year early, this was our year. The Pats lost Brady, the Chargers are tanking worse than us, and the Browns are not the darlings everyone thought they'd be.

This was our year. I guess every year we can say next year is our year.

Joe Texan
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
This is our Team, enough said

marv800
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
As it turns out, this year certainly was a good chance for us to excel, but think about when the schedule first came out. Everyone was whining about how we got hosed.

Look, everyone complains about our defense, but in reality, we are only 1 or 2 players away from being an elite defense. Add one badass free safety and another DE to free up Mario, and we'll have a defensive squad that would make the Steelers shudder in fear.

Our OL is vastly improved and Duane Brown is proving to be quite a LT. No one can point fingers at our receiving players, and with Slaton turning out Rookie of the Year type numbers, we look awesome...

If we address those issues alone, then our team will be so awesome that it won't matter that our coach is horrible!

gtexan02
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
As it turns out, this year certainly was a good chance for us to excel, but think about when the schedule first came out. Everyone was whining about how we got hosed.

Look, everyone complains about our defense, but in reality, we are only 1 or 2 players away from being an elite defense. Add one badass free safety and another DE to free up Mario, and we'll have a defensive squad that would make the Steelers shudder in fear.

Our OL is vastly improved and Duane Brown is proving to be quite a LT. No one can point fingers at our receiving players, and with Slaton turning out Rookie of the Year type numbers, we look awesome...

If we address those issues alone, then our team will be so awesome that it won't matter that our coach is horrible!

Reliant needs to take a page out of Joe's Crabshack and put up a big banner that says "Playoffs next year"

I feel like thats been our battle cry for the last two or three years

SheTexan
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
That's what everyone was saying this time last year, and throughout most of the off season. THIS was suppose to be our year, well HUMMMM, didn't work out that way. NO ONE thought the Titans would be as strong as they are, and NO ONE thought the Jags would be so weak. Until we do some tweaking in our coaching ranks we will never beat the Colts or the Titans for the AFC-south championship. Kubiak even admits that he has been out coached. That's got to stop or next year we will be right where we are right now, looking forward to the next year. JMO!

TEXANS84
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Don't forget we play the tough AFC East.

Thorn
12-09-2008, 10:23 AM
That's what everyone was saying this time last year, and throughout most of the off season. THIS was suppose to be our year, well HUMMMM, didn't work out that way. NO ONE thought the Titans would be as strong as they are, and NO ONE thought the Jags would be so weak. Until we do some tweaking in our coaching ranks we will never beat the Colts or the Titans for the AFC-south championship. Kubiak even admits that he has been out coached. That's got to stop or next year we will be right where we are right now, looking forward to the next year. JMO!

Exactly. Every year is a new year, and who says the weak teams this year are still going to be weak next year? No matter which free agents we pick up during the off season and no matter who we draft, if the coaching staff doesn't get their act togeather and manage this team correctly, it's gonna be the same old thing.

Or, we could go to the playoffs. Or we could get a bunch of injuries and go 5-11. Or...if...when....BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Just win some damn games and get to the playoffs and get this crappy "bad to mediocre" label off our backs please!

Double Barrel
12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
NEXT YEAR!

I think this is the Texans unofficial motto. :texflag: I'll be there!

Ryan
12-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't forget we play the tough AFC East.

Does anyone know which games against the AFC East we have at home? If i remember correctly, we should be playing the Pats in their place cause we played them at ours a few years back.

TexanSam
12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Next years seems so far away :(

TEXANS84
12-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know which games against the AFC East we have at home? If i remember correctly, we should be playing the Pats in their place cause we played them at ours a few years back.

Brett Favre and the J-E-T-S

Also, Seahawks and 49ers at home.

eriadoc
12-09-2008, 10:31 AM

We should play the Pats in Boston and the Bills in Buff ... err ... Toronto.

TEXANS84
12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
We should play the Pats in Boston and the Bills in Buff ... err ... Toronto.

Patriots are here in Houston next year. Buffalo and Miami away, thank god.

mexican_texan
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
No, you've probably repressed this, but they kicked our asses royally in Foxboro. To the tune of 40-3 or so.

Thorn
12-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Besides our normal division games, next years schedule:

Home games
New England
San Francisco
Seattle
New York Jets
AFC West team to be announced

Away
Miami
Buffalo or Toronto
St. Louis
Arizona
AFC North team to be announced

gtexan02
12-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Patriots are here in Houston next year. Buffalo and Miami away, thank god.

At home:
Jags
Colts
Tacks
Pats
Jets
49ers
Seahawks
~Raiders

Away:
Jags
Colts
Tacks
Bills
Phins
Cards
Rams
~Browns

Ideal Schedule:
Raiders (Start off with an easy game, since we usually start slow)
Pats (Get them early so Brady isn't back yet)
@Rams (Keep it rolling)
Colts
@Jags
Seahawks
@Bills
Bye
@Browns
Jags (Battle Red)
@Titans
49ers
@Colts
Titans
@Phins
Jets

Projected Finish - 16-0

TexanSam
12-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Besides our normal division games, next years schedule:

Home games
New England
San Francisco
Seattle
New York Jets
AFC West team to be announced

Away
Miami
Buffalo or Toronto
St. Louis
Arizona
AFC North team to be announced

Since we'll finish in 3rd place in the division, the AFC West team will be either Oakland or Kansas City while the AFC North team is going to be Cleveland. At least that's how I think it works.

marv800
12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
At home:
Jags
Colts
Tacks
Pats
Jets
49ers
Seahawks
~Raiders

Away:
Jags
Colts
Tacks
Bills
Phins
Cards
Rams
~Browns

Ideal Schedule:
Raiders (Start off with an easy game, since we usually start slow)
Pats (Get them early so Brady isn't back yet)
@Rams (Keep it rolling)
Colts
@Jags
Seahawks
@Bills
Bye
@Browns
Jags (Battle Red)
@Titans
49ers
@Colts
Titans
@Phins
Jets

Projected Finish - 16-0

Hehe, how about we start printing the "16-0" Texans t-shirts to sell?

badboy
12-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I am concentrating on how the team develops the rest of this year. We have ?s with Dunta R. will he show enough to get a contract that will keep him in Houston. Has Schaub shown that he will be able to remain on field? Does Sage remain in our future or do we need to begin tutelage of another? Will Turk get Turked? Do we let Salaam go and if yes, who mentors Brown? Are we set with Diles and Adibi and just make sure we have BPA backing them up? Have any of the kajillion safeties proven to be our starters of the future? Will Reeves continue to improve and quieten the huddled masses?

Tennessee should answer a lot of concerns for me unless the Titans decide not to "bring it on."

BigBull17
12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
With next year's schedule being the NFC West, and our own division faltering, next looks promising.

We face Seattle and SanFran at home and face Arizona and Seattle on the road. Based on this years teams, we can easily win three out of those four with a strong chance against Arizona.

Assuming we win twice against Jax and our home games against Indy and Tennessee, thats already 7 or 8 wins in the bag!

If we can just split the remaining 6 games, we are looking at a season of a minimum of 10 games!

Playoffs baby!!!

Maybe it will be time for us to take book tickets to Miami in February 2010?

Wow, we dont even get the Rams, just the Seahawks twice.

Ryan
12-09-2008, 11:14 AM
No, you've probably repressed this, but they kicked our asses royally in Foxboro. To the tune of 40-3 or so.

Yeah i must have blanked that one out of my memory. I could've sworn the Pats beat us in the closing minute or so once at home, but it must've been a dream. I was probably thinking of the Tacks.

BigBull17
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM

No shit. I almost forgot about that game. Wow...

mexican_texan
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah i must have blanked that one out of my memory. I could've sworn the Pats beat us in the closing minute or so once at home, but it must've been a dream. I was probably thinking of the Tacks.
That was five years ago, we took them to overtime and beat the Panthers. Logically, we were on par with the 2 teams that made the Super Bowl that year.

Texan_Bill
12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
2003 Pats last trip here, they won in overtime: 23-20. MT was close, the final was 40-7 at New England.

Jackie Chiles
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Making the playoffs next year is going to be tough. San Diego could bounce back big as well as New England. I can't see a scenario where Pittsburgh and Baltimore aren't in the playoffs so that's 1 WC spot right there. Tennessee probably won't have another ridiculous year like this but they are damn good and the Colts won't be going away anytime too soon. Miami will build on their success in all likelihood, Cutler will have Denver in the picture. The Jets could fall off but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Playing the NFC West helps but the 49ers are going to be better next year I believe. Arizona, if they hold on to Warner, is a very tough game at their house.

If our defense can make the jump to top 10 unit I like our chances a lot but that is going to be a daunting task. If it does happen though we are going to be a very formidable team.

TEXANS84
12-09-2008, 12:39 PM
2003 Pats last trip here, they won in overtime: 23-20. MT was close, the final was 40-7 at New England.

We took them to overtime because Tony Banks was qb, not the debacle score of 40-7 courtesy of David Carr.

Line_Producer
12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
We have ?s with Dunta R. will he show enough to get a contract that will keep him in Houston? Our coverage has been amazing since he's gotten back. He has two interceptions already, I believe? The guy obviously rehabbed the hell out of his knee. He's not going to get a Clement's style offer, but he will get a multi year big one.

Has Schaub shown that he will be able to remain on field? When d linemen aren't rolling into his knees, he's fine. ;). He's shown that when he is one the field he is throwing some amazing numbers. With the development of Brown, we should be great here.

Does Sage remain in our future or do we need to begin tutelage of another? He's a free agent at the end of this year. After receiving a nickname like 'rosencopter', I don't think that we are going to match a large offer from a different team.

Will Turk get Turked? No. Not just No. Hell no. Is this a joke. Turk > Stanley. (Who is God) ;)

Do we let Salaam go and if yes, who mentors Brown? There is absolutely no reason, either cap wise or talent wise to get rid of Salaam. He's cheap, capable, and uninjured.

Are we set with Diles and Adibi and just make sure we have BPA backing them up? Diles was playing amazing football before he got injured. Adibi has stepped up admirably, though I'd love to see him pack on a little weight. Grab BPA in the draft in one of the middle/late rounds.

Have any of the kajillion safeties proven to be our starters of the future? I actually like watching Wilson. We need another safety who understand that when the ball is in the air, you actually have to look for it. Perhaps we could send them some geometry text books so they understand what angle they're supposed to take when they are covering 'over the top'.

Will Reeves continue to improve and quieten the huddled masses? Yes. It's the old paradox. The pass rush or the cb? Which is the issue. I think that Reeves will be fine, especially with Bennett right on his heels. Dunta, Reeves, and Freddie are fine by me.

And that my friends, is my 2 cents. ;)

HOU-TEX
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
We took them to overtime because Tony Banks was qb, not the debacle score of 40-7 courtesy of David Carr.

Our Oline was atrocious that year........:backsout:

marv800
12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Our Oline was atrocious that year........:backsout:

We had an offensive line that year?

infantrycak
12-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Does Sage remain in our future or do we need to begin tutelage of another? [/I]He's a free agent at the end of this year. After receiving a nickname like 'rosencopter', I don't think that we are going to match a large offer from a different team.

Sage is a free agent after 2009.

Hervoyel
12-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Does Sage remain in our future or do we need to begin tutelage of another? [/i]He's a free agent at the end of this year. After receiving a nickname like 'rosencopter', I don't think that we are going to match a large offer from a different team.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about hearing "rosencopter" and "large offer" in the same sentence anytime soon. We should have traded the guy when he had value. Instead we kept him and got rosencoptered.

Brando
12-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Hehe, how about we start printing the "16-0" Texans t-shirts to sell?

In that case, in some parts of the world, they will think the Texans are the best team ever.:specnatz:

utahmark
12-09-2008, 07:11 PM

i dont remember that at all. kinda like that car wreck i got into.

ObsiWan
12-09-2008, 10:56 PM

No. I recall that horror quite well.
That was a David Carr game. He threw FOUR INTs and fumbled once, need i say more?

and it was 40-to-SEVEN, thank you.
:)

and some folks say we haven't turned a corner...

ObsiWan
12-09-2008, 11:25 PM
With Jax disintegrating and the Colts having a down year early, this was our year. The Pats lost Brady, the Chargers are tanking worse than us, and the Browns are not the darlings everyone thought they'd be.

This was our year. I guess every year we can say next year is our year.
I dunno....
I looked this up when we were all doing our optimistic predicts after training camp... But it seems that Del Rio's Jags are just plain schizo. This year they're on their way to 6-10 or worse. Last year they were 11-5. In 2006 they were 8-8. That followed a 2005 season when they were 12-4. I'm not sure Del Rio hasn't totally lost the locker room.

I just think that the old "powerhouses" are getting long in the tooth. I don't see the Chargers making a lot of noise as long as Norv Turner is running the show. Show me where he's won consistently as a head coach.

Brady may be back next year, but that defense is reeeeally old and their running game isn't all that any more.

As long as we don't Plaxico ourselves offensively and improve defensively I think we can beat the Colts.

Fisher's boys are the only one's that really worry me. Maybe Bud has one of his famous "I'm the King here" moments and demands that Vince be reinstated as the starting QB.:)

Marcus
12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Y'all are forgetting about injuries, and the effect it can have on W-L record.

Knocking on some wood here, but the offensive line has been relatively injury free this season, and that has had a tremendous impact on the success of the offense, both running and throwing the ball.

I don't look for us getting so lucky 2 years in a row.

Pantherstang84
12-10-2008, 06:45 AM
I dunno....
I looked this up when we were all doing our optimistic predicts after training camp... But it seems that Del Rio's Jags are just plain schizo. This year they're on their way to 6-10 or worse. Last year they were 11-5. In 2006 they were 8-8. That followed a 2005 season when they were 12-4. I'm not sure Del Rio hasn't totally lost the locker room.

I just think that the old "powerhouses" are getting long in the tooth. I don't see the Chargers making a lot of noise as long as Norv Turner is running the show. Show me where he's won consistently as a head coach.

Brady may be back next year, but that defense is reeeeally old and their running game isn't all that any more.

As long as we don't Plaxico ourselves offensively and improve defensively I think we can beat the Colts.

Fisher's boys are the only one's that really worry me. Maybe Bud has one of his famous "I'm the King here" moments and demands that Vince be reinstated as the starting QB.:)

Bud's "I'm The King Here" moments usually consist of him gutting his good teams. With that in mind, they will lose some free agents including Fat Albert this offseason.

ObsiWan
12-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Bud's "I'm The King Here" moments usually consist of him gutting his good teams. With that in mind, they will lose some free agents including Fat Albert this offseason.

That was total wishful thinking on my part.

The reality is that they're far doing too well this year for Uncle Bud to have another BudFart ...err BrainFart (same thing). Even if they don't take the title this year, I think His BudNess leaves well enough alone.

Besides, I'll bet Bud's still fairly embarrassed about his last "I'm the King Here" moment when he made them pick Vince over local boy Jay Cutler. That worked well didn't it Your BudNess...?