PDA

View Full Version : DC Gregg Williams becoming available?

Silver Oak
12-09-2008, 07:08 AM
one more name to throw into the hat if we do make a switch in the offseason. also, note the Moats blurb right after the Williams line.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/afcsouth120608.htm

nero THE zero
12-09-2008, 07:38 AM
though noting Moats needed to work on his pass protection.

Jeez, talk about understatement of the year. Moats' missed blocks stuck out like a sore thumb during the game. And it was his missed block that almost resulted in the blocked punt, though he did atone for it by making the block that sprung Turk

TexanSam
12-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Isn't this Gregg Williams first year as DC in Jacksonville?

That's surprising that they'd let him go so quickly (if the rumor is true). I guess after their pitiful year Del Rio is probably being forced to make changes to his staff.

TimeKiller
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd be surprised if Del Dio still has a job after this year.

TexanSam
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd be surprised if Del Dio still has a job after this year.

It would be pretty ridiculous to fire him after one bad season when he's led the team into the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years and has had a winning season 3 out of the last 4.

He would get another job pretty quick if he were fired.

HOU-TEX
12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
It would be pretty ridiculous to fire him after one bad season when he's led the team into the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years and has had a winning season 3 out of the last 4.

He would get another job pretty quick if he were fired.

I agree. Additionally, I think they just extended his deal recently too.

TexanSam
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Shoot if they do fire him though maybe he could become our DC.

HOU-TEX
12-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Shoot if they do fire him though maybe he could become our DC.

I don't think I'd be opposed to that.

Texan_Bill
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM

I think Mootini mentioned that the week we played the Jags.

*EDIT*
They did. It's here: Jags Reward Del Rio with Extension (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327218)

Jags reward coach Del Rio with extension
Associated Press

Updated: April 3, 2008, 5:57 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio signed a five-year contract extension Thursday, a reward for winning his first playoff game.

Del Rio's salary was not disclosed, but it was believed to be a significant jump from the original five-year, $6.5 million contract he signed in 2003.

HOU-TEX
12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I think Mootini mentioned that the week we played the Jags.

*EDIT*
They did. It's here: Jags Reward Del Rio with Extension (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3327218)

Yup, they're stuck with him. I'd assume there'd be a hefty buyout if they truly wanted to get rid of him.

painekiller
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
one more name to throw into the hat if we do make a switch in the offseason. also, note the Moats blurb right after the Williams line.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/afcsouth120608.htm

Greg Williams has a mythical name as a DC, but he has not been that successful in the recent past. The Redskins needed a player's tragic death to inspire them. Other then that year Williams has been missing from top DC for some time.

RipTraxx
12-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Greg Williams has a mythical name as a DC, but he has not been that successful in the recent past. The Redskins needed a player's tragic death to inspire them. Other then that year Williams has been missing from top DC for some time.

True, but at the end of the day, he is AGGRESSIVE. Im so sick of this vanila D we play. Williams blitzes as ALMOST as spagnolo does.

painekiller
12-09-2008, 05:12 PM
True, but at the end of the day, he is AGGRESSIVE. Im so sick of this vanila D we play. Williams blitzes as ALMOST as spagnolo does.

Difference one wins one doesn't.

Also Gregg Williams teams have given up when they seem to done. Not a good thing for the HC. Look at the Redskins before Taylor's death.

Second Honeymoon
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Gregg Williams would bring more experience, more success, and more aggression than Richard Smith brings. In other words it looks to be an upgrade. I just want the Texans to make a change. If they feel Williams is a good fit, great. If they want someone else, thats fine...as long as that someone else isn't Richard Smith.

What has Richard Smith done over the span of his tenure that inspires confidence moving forward? He has been a failure so its not like we owe him anything or haven't given him a fair shake. This Carebear philosophy hasn't worked yet...why continue?

Just about any experienced DC would be an upgrade over Richard Smith. If your not improving a position of weakness then your not improving at all. The guy should have been fired after Kubes' first year if you want to be honest. He was a last second hire because everyone worth a crap had already been snatched up. Why we haven't upgraded is beyond me. If he is brought back, we are doomed for another year of irrelevance and mediocrity....

The talent is there. You just have to be aggressive and not play scared all the time. Richard Smith doesn't have the testicular fortitude to get the job done.

painekiller
12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Some of you are to young to remember the lost season that brought the Oilers Buddy Ryan. A Super Bowl proven DC who's only reason for coming to Houston was to get another HC job. He was hoping for the Oiler job, but would take any HC job.

Well Buddy's play calling in the playoff game against the Chiefs lost the game and Houston last shot at a Super Bowl. He divided the team and left them flat. The only good thing he brought to Houston was Jeff Fisher.

Gregg Williams has been to two different cities since he was a HC and he has not been special at either one. I pass.

Talk to me about Mike Nolan, and I will listen.

Dan B.
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Some of you are to young to remember the lost season that brought the Oilers Buddy Ryan. A Super Bowl proven DC who's only reason for coming to Houston was to get another HC job. He was hoping for the Oiler job, but would take any HC job.

Well Buddy's play calling in the playoff game against the Chiefs lost the game and Houston last shot at a Super Bowl. He divided the team and left them flat. The only good thing he brought to Houston was Jeff Fisher.

Gregg Williams has been to two different cities since he was a HC and he has not been special at either one. I pass.

I've been wanting Nolan for a while now. I really liked the defense he was building in SF, and I think he could work out well here. He may need a lot of autonomy wrt draft picks and FA signings, but I would be willing to give him a shot.

RipTraxx
12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I've been wanting Nolan for a while now. I really liked the defense he was building in SF, and I think he could work out well here. He may need a lot of autonomy wrt draft picks and FA signings, but I would be willing to give him a shot.

Isnt he a 3-4 guy? We dont have that personell.

painekiller
12-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Isnt he a 3-4 guy? We dont have that personell.

He has coached both 4-3 and 3-4. He has seemed to follow the talent.

Maybe Singletary does not end up with the full time job and we can hire him.

ChildressTitanMan
12-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Williams doesn't seem to have been that great in recent years.

BattleRedToro
12-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Gregg Williams would bring more experience, more success, and more aggression than Richard Smith brings. In other words it looks to be an upgrade. I just want the Texans to make a change. If they feel Williams is a good fit, great. If they want someone else, thats fine...as long as that someone else isn't Richard Smith.

What has Richard Smith done over the span of his tenure that inspires confidence moving forward? He has been a failure so its not like we owe him anything or haven't given him a fair shake. This Carebear philosophy hasn't worked yet...why continue?

Just about any experienced DC would be an upgrade over Richard Smith. If your not improving a position of weakness then your not improving at all. The guy should have been fired after Kubes' first year if you want to be honest. He was a last second hire because everyone worth a crap had already been snatched up. Why we haven't upgraded is beyond me. If he is brought back, we are doomed for another year of irrelevance and mediocrity....

The talent is there. You just have to be aggressive and not play scared all the time. Richard Smith doesn't have the testicular fortitude to get the job done.

There was atleast one very capable, experienced DC available that first year, and his name is Jim Bates. For whatever reason, I never heard his name mentioned in the paper or on the news as even being considered for the job. He didn't sign on with any team until 2007, with the Broncos, and then stepped down in January of 2008, s that means he is available again.

I really think we should start another thread with a list of Defensive Coordinators. I'm going to do just that.

TexanSam
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
There was atleast one very capable, experienced DC available that first year, and his name is Jim Bates. For whatever reason, I never heard his name mentioned in the paper or on the news as even being considered for the job. He didn't sign on with any team until 2007, with the Broncos, and then stepped down in January of 2008, s that means he is available again.

I really think we should start another thread with a list of Defensive Coordinators. I'm going to do just that.

Bates didn't get the job because he wanted to be able to hire all the assistants on the defensive side which Kubiak was against.

El Tejano
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
A source close to the club notes Titans No. 3 QB Chris Simms has shown improvement throughout his tenure in Tennessee, with his arm strength noticeably picking up as the season has gone on.

Man, sounds like Tenn is getting ready for Chris Simms to be Collins' successor leaving VY out. He He He!! Just saying!!

But really, I don't know about that Williams. Yes, he's had good years with Tenn and Buffalo. He hasn't been all that good right now though. However, did everyone forget about Jerry Gray? Isn't he available somewhere?

painekiller
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Bates didn't get the job because he wanted to be able to hire all the assistants on the defensive side which Kubiak was against.

Correction: McNair was against, he wanted to keep Jon Hoke.

Bates also was a huge flop in Denver, so I doubt Shanahan gives him a ringing endorsement.

Earl34
12-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Whatever happened to Jerry Gray? I thought at one point he was in the running? He learned defensive schemes under Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams

Vinny
12-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Greg Williams has a mythical name as a DC, but he has not been that successful in the recent past. The Redskins needed a player's tragic death to inspire them. Other then that year Williams has been missing from top DC for some time. I know you know this but I'll add that Williams is from Jeff Fishers coaching tree and his defenses were great with Fisher but haven't been able to be as consistent as Fishers defenses are. Williams likes Fishers unconventional use of the S but he takes more chances than Fisher does and gets burned more often than Coach Fishers defenses do....a reason why he isn't nearly as successful as Coach Fisher.

Talk to me about Mike Nolan, and I will listen. I'm not so hot on Nolan since I've been the admin over at 49ers.com official site mb for years and have watched his defenses and his pressers closer than I would have otherwise...for a defensive genius he sure has some awful defenses. They have been better on defense since he left the 49ers with the same coaches. He's a legacy name with a good coaching tree but once away from his mentors his defenses have been awful. At least Williams has has some success away from Fisher.

painekiller
12-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not so hot on Nolan since I've been the admin over at 49ers.com official site mb for years and have watched his defenses and his pressers closer than I would have otherwise...for a defensive genius he sure has some awful defenses. They have been better on defense since he left the 49ers with the same coaches. He's a legacy name with a good coaching tree but once away from his mentors his defenses have been awful. At least Williams has has some success away from Fisher.

I have been doing my own investigating also, and have come to a similar conclusion on Nolan. He seems to have come in on others coattails. 1st he took over the NY giants defense from Parcels clan, he was Dan Reeves DC. Then he takes over Lovie Smith's all world defense. In both cases, his defenses did not do as well with him running them as the prior guys.

Now Singletary is getting more from the 49ers defense than Nolan did, opened my eyes. Maybe Singletary is not retained and we can bring him in.

RipTraxx
12-24-2008, 02:56 AM
I did a similar thread with Jim Johnson from Philly, who looks like he's gonna stay since the eagles have somewhat rallied for a decent season.

But now we have Gregg Williams from Jax, whos contract is up at the end of this season (actually just the remaining years from Washington) and due to the lack of success they've had he's more then likely out.

Say what you will but i say we go for him b/c at the end of the day, HE'S AGGRESSIVE!

Any Takers?

Cause SMITH HAS TO GO!!

:d:

Silver Oak
12-24-2008, 05:56 AM
this will probably get moved as there is already a Gregg Williams thread, and a DC thread, but heck yeah...there's a lot of names that will be out there at the end of the season and if Richard Smith doesn't pass the litmus test at the end of our season, then I hope we'll be picking up someone with more creativity.

ChildressTitanMan
12-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Now Singletary is getting more from the 49ers defense than Nolan did, opened my eyes. Maybe Singletary is not retained and we can bring him in.

I'll be shocked if Singletary hasn't done enough to secure his HC job at the 49ers.

Singletary will be in high demand if he's available.

Texan JBZ
12-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I would like Williams as the new DC, but I would love Jerry Gray as the new DC. Either one for me though. Just as long as Richard Smith is fired on Monday. Bob McNice needs to become more proactive as an owner. If a move is inevitable, just make the damn move! Why does he feel the need to wait until the season is done to make moves, ala firing Dumb Capers? The organization could have given Frank Bush the job midseason to see if he could do a better job, but...

RipTraxx
12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I would like Williams as the new DC, but I would love Jerry Gray as the new DC. Either one for me though. Just as long as Richard Smith is fired on Monday. Bob McNice needs to become more proactive as an owner. If a move is inevitable, just make the damn move! Why does he feel the need to wait until the season is done to make moves, ala firing Dumb Capers? The organization could have given Frank Bush the job midseason to see if he could do a better job, but...

Bush was Kubiaks first choice but Arizona wouldnt let him go....He'll probably be the first interviewed for the job.

:texflag:

GP
12-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Almost makes you wonder if Kubiak let Richard Smith have one more crack at it this past Sunday.

THAT looked like the Richard Smith defense we all know and love so well. No blitzes, soft on the receivers, spreading the LBs and DBs out all over the field, and allowing a lot of points.

"OK, Richard...you're calling the shots. You wanted a chance. Here's a team ripe for the picking. Do a good job today, and you've won immunity at the next tribal council."

Double Barrel
12-24-2008, 10:10 AM

We probably wouldn't have been in that playoff game against the Chiefs if it wasn't for Buddy Ryans' 46 defense and the 11 game winning streak that resulted (we started that season off at 1-4).