PDA

View Full Version : An apology to the board regarding Brandon Harrison!

dalemurphy
12-08-2008, 08:56 AM
After the first Indy game and Miami game, I argued that Brandon Harrison looked like he could develop into a good safety for us. I was actually pretty excited about the guy.

Man, that was a colossal mistake! Once again, I think my optimism got the better of me.

Hervoyel
12-08-2008, 08:58 AM
No apology needed. Some guys take longer than others. He's going to take another year. He ain't done yet.

Silver Oak
12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
he looks pretty slow out there. big, and hits hard, but sloooooow.

dalemurphy
12-08-2008, 09:01 AM
No apology needed. Some guys take longer than others. He's going to take another year. He ain't done yet.

Maybe. But I argued with Vinnie who said he was not physical enough and may have mentioned that his instincts aren't good. That's not a good combination for a safety!

bigbrewster2000
12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
he looks pretty slow out there. big, and hits hard, but sloooooow.

Yeah he is not reacting to plays very well and that really makes him look slow. In a perfect world, the more he plays the more comfortable he will get in the defense and then the quicker he reacts. That being said, Im not so sure about him being our next great SS.

I do however think he has a place on this team as depth. More experience needed either way. I say by end of next season we will know what he has as a player. And I dont mean by starting him in all of those games either. I really hope that doesnt happen. He really looks like he has to be brought on slowly.

TimeKiller
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
They need to spend about a 2nd or 3rd to get a safety this next draft. Harrison doesn't play too well, Barber is a special teams guy at best, Ferguson is one step ahead of Demps, Wilson is our only worthy-of-his-spot safety we have on the roster now. Hopefully C.c. Brown is okay but I don't want to see him on the field ever again. Definitely needs to be addressed.

Tailgate
12-08-2008, 09:10 AM
There is still a long way to go for him. But anytime a player is taken 5th round or above...I think reserved optimism for the first few years is the best route imo.

beerlover
12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
you give up to easy. I saw him in press coverage, lacks ball skills but smart, has plus speed for a safety, fluid hips, change direction yet physical & still hits like a safety. finished 2nd on the team in tackles, playing for injured Nick Ferguson. He is a much bigger safety, still developing, the Texans coaching staff loves him so see him improving through the end of season & winning out a starting FS position in next fall camp (excluding a high draft pick @ FS). but remember its only his second year & he was drafted in the 5th rd. plenty to be hopeful about :tiphat:

Mr. White
12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm wondering what happened to Will Demps. He was a Pro-Bowl alternate last year and can't even get on the field this year.

I know that he's on the injury report this week, but he was on the inactive list last week. Seems to me that he might be in the doghouse now.

Marcus
12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
. . . . but remember its only his second year & he was drafted in the 5th rd. plenty to be hopeful about :tiphat:

Said it perfectly.

False Start
12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I really had high hopes for Harrison. I heard a lot of good things about him. Maybe he will get his shit together, hopefully should I say.

texanhead08
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Its never a good thing to be slow as a db at any level.

nunusguy
12-08-2008, 11:06 AM
but remember its only his second year & he was drafted in the 5th rd. plenty to be hopeful about :tiphat:
If memory serves, I think he was out most of his first year with injury and he came to camp very late because of finals and or a late graduation date, so for all practice purposes this is more like his rookie year in the NFL and not
second.
**PRO (through 2007 season): Spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve…looks to contribute to the secondary and on special teams.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=288

leebigeztx
12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Believe it or not, but safety is harder to play than corner as a young player. Route recognition is huge and takes alot of film study and great instincts. from what i saw of harrison, he cant get it done. His reaction is slow and i know its hard seeing all those routes develop infront of you, but the jennings play was uncalled for. You cant bite a teaser route and let a guy get behind you. Reeves as usual cant find the ball, but him being the last line of defense, he shouldve knocked the ball down or intercepted it. Wilson is a keeper and i would probably start training molden for back there. Harrison isnt going to get it done.

Second Honeymoon
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
he sucks. just because he wears a Texans uniform doesn't make him any good. slow to move, slow to react, and not an NFL-caliber safety. I didn't like the pick when we drafted him and I still don't.

Texanmike02
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah he is not reacting to plays very well and that really makes him look slow. In a perfect world, the more he plays the more comfortable he will get in the defense and then the quicker he reacts. That being said, Im not so sure about him being our next great SS.

I do however think he has a place on this team as depth. More experience needed either way. I say by end of next season we will know what he has as a player. And I dont mean by starting him in all of those games either. I really hope that doesnt happen. He really looks like he has to be brought on slowly.

Perhaps one of the reasons he's so slow to diagnose is that we seem to have changed our defensive philosophy for the second half of the season.

Mike