PDA

View Full Version : 20 things I learned from Green Bay game

Porky
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
1) I learned that the tundra isn't the only thing that is frozen. Kris Brown has ice water in his veins.
2) I learned that Al Harris can play corner for my team any time even if he is a crybaby.
3) I learned that Eugene Wilson is a capable SS. Brandon Harrison is not a capable FS.
4) I learned that The Refs eyes were glazed over with ice when the WR pushed off Harrison to make the TD catch
5) I learned that we have our current and future feature back on the roster. What we need is a thunder to match the lightening that is Slaton.
6) I learned that we have 4/5 of a good offensive line.
7) I learned that our head coach thinks Time outs grow on trees.
8) I learned that Andre Johnson is still a beast when it matters most.
9) I learned that the unsung hero of the game was Vonta Leach.
10) I learned that Richard Smith has been tied up and held captive in the broom closet in Bob McNairs' office for the past 3 weeks.
11) I learned that the next person who says Sage should start over Schaub should be immediately hit over the head with a cast iron frying pan.
12) I learned that Reeves had his best game as a Texan. With Dunta across from him and a pass rush, he suddenly looks like a competent second corner.
13) I learned that our biggest needs our a bruising RB, a center, a FS, and a complientary pass rusher. And a big run stuffer up the middle or impact LB would be a welcome bonus.
14) I learned that if this team ever stopped shooting itself in the foot, they could be a Super Bowl contender sooner rather than later.
15) I learned that Dunta Robinson is back.
16) I learned that if the Texans haven't turned the corner, they are at the intsection with their blinker light on. If they beat the Meatballs, the corner will have truely been turned.
17) I learned that you should never jump up to catch a punt. What is the matter with you Jacoby Jones?
18) I learned that anyone who says we should cut Jacoby Jones needs to be hit with the same frying pan as those in #11.
19) I learned that the word Green and Bay should never be used in conjunction with that Frozen Hell somewhere in Wisconson.
20) I learned that I love watching this team. Did I just say that?

Thorn
12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Good post Porky. The following just cracked me up, 'cause it's both funny and true.

7) I learned that our head coach thinks Time outs grow on trees.

Dread-Head
12-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I stick with my statements on Dewey being a better all around QB than Schlaub. Sitting on the bench watching Sage do his job made him work harder. My question is this, what's the deal with the jacket with "QB" embroidered on the front? Is it to remind Rosenfels that he's the starter, or is it so he can remember who he is?

Hagar
12-08-2008, 09:17 AM
6) I learned that we have 4/5 of a good offensive line.I'd say 3/5, I'm not sold on Mike Brisiel yet. We'll see how they do against one of the best DLine in the business this weekend.

8) I learned that Andre Johnson is still a beast when it matters most
9) I learned that the unsung hero of the game was Vonta Leach..Amen Brother .... Amen

17) I learned that you should never jump up to catch a punt. What is the matter with you Jacoby Jones?
18) I learned that anyone who says we should cut Jacoby Jones needs to be hit with the same frying pan as those in #11. If he keeps fumbling the ball like he has, I'd find another return man.

Tailgate
12-08-2008, 09:20 AM
9) I learned that the unsung hero of the game was Vonta Leach.

"THE HAMMER" brought it yet again. Love that guy.

ATX
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
One thing I've learned through the years is the Texans can play in cold weather.....now if we can just start winning cold weather games that matter.

HOU-TEX
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Nicely done, Porky. Although, Leach has been the unsung hero in many a game this season. To me, he's the only one that has been consistant this season. Consistantly whoopin the **** out of would be tacklers, that is. :winky:

See sig

ObsiWan
12-08-2008, 09:37 AM
you almost cost me a cup of coffee with this one...
:spit:

10) I learned that Richard Smith has been tied up and held captive :jail: in the broom closet in Bob McNairs' office for the past 3 weeks.
Rep your way
:perfect10:

Porky
12-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Nicely done, Porky. Although, Leach has been the unsung hero in many a game this season. To me, he's the only one that has been consistant this season. Consistantly whoopin the **** out of would be tacklers, that is. :winky:

See sig

I should have said I learned that if Vonta Leach isn't sent to the Pro Bowl there should be an investigation. :splits:

HOU-TEX
12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I should have said I learned that if Vonta Leach isn't sent to the Pro Bowl there should be an investigation. :splits:

AGREED!! I can't think of a FB in the AFC that has out-performed VL.

Kaiser Toro
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I am still thawing out from the game, took a lot out of me. Lambeau is an experience that every NFL fan should have in their lifetime.

That was a franchise win. We did something that does not necessarily define the franchise or the season, but we took another step in the maturation of a future playoff team.

Marcus
12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
1) 12) I learned that Reeves had his best game as a Texan. With Dunta across from him and a pass rush, he suddenly looks like a competent second corner.

Don't mean to thread hijack, but hey, you brought it up.

This is big pet peeve of mine. If you have a pass rush, your secondary is going to play well. If you don't have one, they are not. It wouldn't matter if you had 4 Dunta Robinsons back there.

I'm perfectly happy with the secondary, Reeves included, and have been happy with their play all season. It's the front seven that has been the problem.

Texan Asylum
12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I am still thawing out from the game, took a lot out of me. Lambeau is an experience that every NFL fan should have in their lifetime.

That was a franchise win. We did something that does not necessarily define the franchise or the season, but we took another step in the maturation of a future playoff team.

Yea bubba! Also, we're 6-0 in temps under 40 degrees!

beerlover
12-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Vonta Leach (6-0 253) seems in the same mold as Ravens FB Lorenzo Neal (5-11 255) who pounded a physical Skins team straight down their throats last night, that would be his competition.

SheTexan
12-08-2008, 09:56 AM
AGREED!! I can't think of a FB in the AFC that has out-performed VL.

I LOVE this guy!! He plays football the way I like to see it played. Knock the freaking hell out of them and dare them to get up!! lol LOVE IT!!

mike moffat
12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Excellent Porky. I was gonna give you a rep, but, I have to spread around the love before I can give you another one.

texanhead08
12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
The Harrison play might have been a push off but it was a piss poor effort by #31. I am sick of watching him chase wr's from behind everytime he gets in a game.

ObsiWan
12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Excellent Porky. I was gonna give you a rep, but, I have to spread around the love before I can give you another one.

Same here.
:(

Pantherstang84
12-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Vonta Leach (6-0 253) seems in the same mold as Ravens FB Lorenzo Neal (5-11 255) who pounded a physical Skins team straight down their throats last night, that would be his competition.

LOL. Did you hear what Schaub called Leach in the post-game presser? A Coke Machine. Go watch the clip on HT.com. Cracked me up.

Pantherstang84
12-08-2008, 11:05 AM

I got him for ya.

ObsiWan
12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I have learned that there's no quit in these guys. Say what you want that's anti-Kubiak, but one thing is for sure, he doesn't let them quit.

How many come from behind wins do we have this year? At least two - this one and Miami.

And even though we're out of the playoff hunt, no one, that I can see, is "mailing it in" like some of Del Rio's boys seem to be doing.

DocBar
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I see areas we need to improve in, but I also see us growing by leaps and bounds. This was a game they could've easily caved on, but they fought tooth and nail and pulled out a W on the road (Schaubs 1st road win) in a tough place. This weekends game against the Tacks will be a good measuring stick for us.

BigBull17
12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I stick with my statements on Dewey being a better all around QB than Schlaub. Sitting on the bench watching Sage do his job made him work harder. My question is this, what's the deal with the jacket with "QB" embroidered on the front? Is it to remind Rosenfels that he's the starter, or is it so he can remember who he is?

Dewey being Sage? No way is he a better QB. They have the same skill sets, but when the chips are down, one shines as the other fades. Guess who shines?

Texan Asylum
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Same here.
:(

Got him for ya also...:texflag:

ObsiWan
12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Got him for ya also...:texflag:
Thanks!

Big Lou
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
1)
4) I learned that The Refs eyes were glazed over with ice when the WR pushed off Harrison to make the TD catch

Did you hear the douche bags on CBS on this one?

"Interference won't be called when both guys are looking at the ball"

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I think they were wearing Packer Jerseys.

Porky
12-08-2008, 03:19 PM

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I think they were wearing Packer Jerseys.

Ya, lol.

I should have a 21st thing I learned. Steve Tasker is an *****.

Fox
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
The GB solidified my thoughts on Eugene Wilson, he makes our secondary much better IMO, and I want him back starting next season. He's got good speed, ball skills, he can tackle, he's a smart player, and IIRC he's still fairly young. He was a great pick-up by Rick Smith and I'm hoping we don't let him go like we did Marlon McRee.

Texan_Bill
12-08-2008, 04:38 PM

BTW D-bags, that's pretty much the definition of offensive pass interference. I know the refs will let it go sometimes when both guys are looking back and they get their legs tangled, but going Michael Irvin on the DB is a penalty.

They were happy in the pants whenever talking about Green Bay. It was pathetic, really.

Porky
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
The GB solidified my thoughts on Eugene Wilson, he makes our secondary much better IMO, and I want him back starting next season. He's got good speed, ball skills, he can tackle, he's a smart player, and IIRC he's still fairly young. He was a great pick-up by Rick Smith and I'm hoping we don't let him go like we did Marlon McRee.

Ditto for me. He's a keeper. He is "good enough". We need a real FS though. A guy with some speed who can cover and still hit.

axman40
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM

See sig
What about consistant Kris Brown?
:fans:

buddyboy
12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Yea bubba! Also, we're 6-0 in temps under 40 degrees!

Maybe we should think about turning the AC up in Reliant...

mussop
12-08-2008, 06:48 PM

IIRC he 28.

The unsung hero for the game was the player that made that awesome block on the botched punt. It looked like #21(moats). Turk doesnt make the first without that block and we dont score and we most likely dont win.

Thorn
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Maybe we should think about turning the AC up in Reliant...

Perhaps you meant down? :thinking:

sbalderrama
12-08-2008, 07:21 PM
The unsung hero for the game was the player that made that awesome block on the botched punt. It looked like #21(moats). Turk doesnt make the first without that block and we dont score and we most likely dont win.

According to Kub's on 610 tonight Moats owed Turk that block because it was Moats fault that Matt was forced to run in the first place.

TexanSam
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM

I don't know who the announcers are, but one of them was always overly excited about the Packers. Kinda annoying

Vinny
12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I learned the Packers pass defense in the middle of the field is awful...and that an old Favre is better than a young Rogers.

gtexan02
12-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Unfortunately, if you replace Eugene Wilson's name with Will Demps, it sounds a lot like last year :(

Jackie Chiles
12-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately, if you replace Eugene Wilson's name with Will Demps, it sounds a lot like last year :(

Wilson has quite a bit more range than Demps did IMO.

Fox
12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Wilson has quite a bit more range than Demps did IMO.

And ball skills instead of bricks for hands..... and he can cover...

Big Lou
12-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I have learned that there's no quit in these guys. Say what you want that's anti-Kubiak, but one thing is for sure, he doesn't let them quit.

How many come from behind wins do we have this year? At least two - this one and Miami.

And even though we're out of the playoff hunt, no one, that I can see, is "mailing it in" like some of Del Rio's boys seem to be doing.

One of the biggest changes I've seen is the fact that when a big call goes against the Texans now they don't give up.

We lost a lot of games under Capers when the momentum started to shift and then a bad call came along. The team would just crumble regardless of the level of play prior to the bad call.

mexican_texan
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't know who the announcers are, but one of them was always overly excited about the Packers. Kinda annoying
CBS announcers always seemed to be biased towards the other team, save for Rich Gannon. The other teams always get excited calls while we get "Slaton, up the middle...gone, touchdown" whereas "RODGERS THROWS DEEP! JENNINGS!!!!"

Porky
12-10-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know guys. Gus Johnson I thought had a good call of the game, and equal for both sides. I think some of y'all have a major complex of some sort.

Maddict5
12-10-2008, 08:45 AM
johnson and tasker will be announcing v the titans aswell

mexican_texan
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know guys. Gus Johnson I thought had a good call of the game, and equal for both sides. I think some of y'all have a major complex of some sort.
I listen to the 610 broadcast as I watch the game. The only time I hear Gus Johnson is when he's really excited, and it's rarely for us. Just go look at highlights, Jacoby's punt return is the only one with emotion.

disaacks3
12-10-2008, 12:49 PM
One of the biggest changes I've seen is the fact that when a big call goes against the Texans now they don't give up.

We lost a lot of games under Capers when the momentum started to shift and then a bad call came along. The team would just crumble regardless of the level of play prior to the bad call. That road game against Denver a few years ago was the biggest example of that I've EVER seen.

johnson and tasker will be announcing v the titans aswell Woo-friggin-hoo... Glad I'll be AT the game and not having to listen to those boneheads at home.

toronto
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I listen to the 610 broadcast as I watch the game. The only time I hear Gus Johnson is when he's really excited, and it's rarely for us. Just go look at highlights, Jacoby's punt return is the only one with emotion.

I am a Broadcast Associate for a sports network up here, and one of the joys of my job is cutting highlite packs of NFL games every Sunday/Monday.

Lemme tell you - if Gus Johnson did every NFL game, we would be better for it. He is a fantastic play by play man, who hypes the games and big plays properly - and never (at least from what I have seen) shown any bias. I can't say the same for many bigger NFL broadcast teams - Joe Buck practically blows any Dallas players privates, they always over-praise the Steelers, and if any team is playing a NFC North team and it's got Gumbel/Dierdorf, you might as well put it on mute if you're a fan of the the opposing team.

Dan B.
12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I am a Broadcast Associate for a sports network up here, and one of the joys of my job is cutting highlite packs of NFL games every Sunday/Monday.

Lemme tell you - if Gus Johnson did every NFL game, we would be better for it. He is a fantastic play by play man, who hypes the games and big plays properly - and never (at least from what I have seen) shown any bias. I can't say the same for many bigger NFL broadcast teams - Joe Buck practically blows any Dallas players privates, they always over-praise the Steelers, and if any team is playing a NFC North team and it's got Gumbel/Dierdorf, you might as well put it on mute if you're a fan of the the opposing team.

I agree. Gus Johnson is more than happy to blow a gasket when the Texans do something exciting. The problem is that they do it so infrequently.

I honestly prefer him to most of the "top tier" pairings.

Austrian
12-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I see areas we need to improve in, but I also see us growing by leaps and bounds. This was a game they could've easily caved on, but they fought tooth and nail and pulled out a W on the road (Schaubs 1st road win) in a tough place. This weekends game against the Tacks will be a good measuring stick for us.

No it was his first road win this year and second overall. Last year he won the Panthers game.

Arky
12-10-2008, 05:30 PM
No it was his first road win this year and second overall. Last year he won the Panthers game.

Very good. I had forgotten about that game. One of the media outlets (might've been the Chronic) was incorrectly saying he was winless on the road (0-9, I believe).

SteveSlaton20
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
One thing i learned from the Green Bay game

1)Green Bay sucks.:texflag:

DocBar
12-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I learned that we CAN go on the road, play in a hostile environment and kick some serious ass. Reminds me of Moon and Jeffries connecting for 523 yds in KC and Moon getting the 2nd most passing yds in a game because the refs made a bad call on Jeffries catch. This team is learning to win and will definitely make the Tacks know they played a man sized team come Sunday. Win or lose, I want to see us take it to them blow for blow. Make Collins look scared in the pocket, the receivers flinch at going over the middle and the RBs tiptoe up to the line. Slobberknocker those f$%^&%s and make them feel pain.

brakos82
12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
1) We set a new record for most yards given up by the Packers at Lambeau... and 3 short of all-time. (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/35677649.html)

"The only game where we outright got whupped was the Saints," Blackmon said. "They ran up and down the field. Other than that, just missed opportunities."

New Orleans put up 51 points on the Packers two weeks ago but the Saints' output of 416 yards wasn't an avalanche. On the other hand, Houston's 549 yards were the most against Green Bay since the Washington Redskins gained 552 on Oct. 17, 1983, in what remains the highest-scoring Monday night game, a 48-47 Packers victory.