PDA

View Full Version : Will Steve Slaton finish strong?

TheRealJoker
12-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Or will his "dead legs" finally catch up to him? ;)

This week we have a road game against the 27th ranked GB run defense which has gone downhill since Nick Barnett was lost for the season. They might not be quite this bad however, it could be that teams have such a hard time passing against the 5th ranked pass D of GB that they elect to run it instead.

Methinks Slaton does well, but you never know on the road with this team.

Then we finish with the Tacks 12th ranked run D, Oakland 29th ranked, and Chicago's 6th ranked run D in the season finale.

Will Slaton finish strong against this schedule? If he runs well we have a much better chance of winning. If he wins the rookie rushing title, that could mean the difference between 5-11 and 9-7.

ObsiWan
12-04-2008, 12:06 PM
He needs some help to keep him fresh....
Where's Darius Walker?

TheRealJoker
12-04-2008, 12:11 PM
This is the biggest game for Slaton this season. We need him to come through more than any other game thus far. Going to the frozen tundra, our QB is coming off a layoff and facing a top 5 pass D. We need to keep the ball on the ground, keep control of the clock, and keep the high powered Packers offense off the field.

If Steve Slaton doesn't have a big game on Sunday we've got no chance of winning this game. We need the running game to come through in a big way!!!

Goldensilence
12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Steve got the bulk of the carries this last game and we really need SOMEONE to come in and spell him if we want a shot at winning this game.

We need to LBs to keep the running game with Grant in front of them and hopefully whomever is calling the D that day will be dialing up run blitzes. Jennings is the matchup that worries me.

Good day for both teams to use playaction in the passing game. Our line has looked better the past few games...but man this would be a good game to have an interior lineman that can blow people up off the snap.

El Tejano
12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Once again, Kubiak needs to have this team prepared. It's time to get past the great MNF game. We all had fun but it's back to business and we still need to try and make our road record look better than the one win we have this season.

Vinny
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I haven't seen a single game as evidence of "dead legs".

HOU-TEX
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
This is the biggest game for Slaton this season. We need him to come through more than any other game thus far. Going to the frozen tundra, our QB is coming off a layoff and facing a top 5 pass D. We need to keep the ball on the ground, keep control of the clock, and keep the high powered Packers offense off the field.

If Steve Slaton doesn't have a big game on Sunday we've got no chance of winning this game. We need the running game to come through in a big way!!!

I agree with this 100%. If we can't run the ball effectively.....we lose.

Vinny
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with this 100%. If we can't run the ball effectively.....we lose. I think it has to do more with blocking well and good play calling than it has to do with if Slaton can perform. Slaton can get through a hole and he can make guys miss in short space but he can't do that with Oscar Myers shoved 5 yards into the backfield on a regular basis. People complain about the 3 running attempts on the goal line but if you watch the film you will see Myers getting blown off the ball. No back can get it done with a DT in the backfield on a regular basis.

HOU-TEX
12-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I think it has to do more with blocking well and good play calling than it has to do with if Slaton can perform. Slaton can get through a hole and he can make guys miss in short space but he can't do that with Oscar Myers shoved 5 yards into the backfield on a regular basis. People complain about the 3 running attempts on the goal line but if you watch the film you will see Myers getting blown off the ball. No back can get it done with a DT in the backfield on a regular basis.

True. Myers has never struck me as a short yardage/goaline type Olineman. I thinks he's better (disclaimer: I'm not saying he's good by any means) moving side to side where he doesn't have to face many 1 on 1 battles with the Nose. When he does face a direct rush from the Nose, he'll get blown out every time.

Does that make sense? My mind is bamboozled right now. :)

Hervoyel
12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
I think it has to do more with blocking well and good play calling than it has to do with if Slaton can perform. Slaton can get through a hole and he can make guys miss in short space but he can't do that with Oscar Myers shoved 5 yards into the backfield on a regular basis. People complain about the 3 running attempts on the goal line but if you watch the film you will see Myers getting blown off the ball. No back can get it done with a DT in the backfield on a regular basis.

Give me your opinion on this please because I'm really trying to understand what we can do to fix this. Myers isn't "too small" if he's really 6'4" and 293. Denver is starting a guy whose 2 inches shorter and listed at 285. Can Myers get stronger in the offseason or is he being pushed around because he's failing on a technical level? Is this going to be something that's fixable in the weight room or is it something he needs to learn (or unlearn) and can correct?

Vinny
12-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Give me your opinion on this please because I'm really trying to understand what we can do to fix this. Myers isn't "too small" if he's really 6'4" and 293. Denver is starting a guy whose 2 inches shorter and listed at 285. Can Myers get stronger in the offseason or is he being pushed around because he's failing on a technical level? Is this going to be something that's fixable in the weight room or is it something he needs to learn (or unlearn) and can correct?
My opinion is that I don't think it is fixable and that is why the Broncos were ok with parting with him after he was on tape for enough games. We need to upgrade this position with a guy who has more lower body strength. Myers has adequate upper body strength and plenty of foot speed to make those finesse blocks that are required, but he gets manhandled way too much by stronger guys. I'd actually be in favor of sending in a short yardage Center instead of a short yardage RB...at least the back won't have to dodge DT's before he gets out of the backfield.

Speedy
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
They might not be quite this bad however, it could be that teams have such a hard time passing against the 5th ranked pass D of GB that they elect to run it instead.

Maybe they're ranked that high in the passing game because teams run against them, because they can, and don't need to pass as much. That's the thing I don't like about those stats when you seperate them like that (run rank - pass rank). They don't tell the whole story.

EX- Brees put a 323 on them and completed 77% of his passes. The Saints ran the ball fine with Thomas, almost 6 yards a carry on 15 touches, they're just more of a passing team. I know, Sage or Schaub ain't no Brees. Just making a point about how the stats can be skewed.

So don't let the #5 ranking fool you. Now I think the Texans should run more in this game, with the weather being what it is and all, and to give less opportunities for whoever the QB is from turning it over, especially on the road, but I see no reason why they can't get it going through the air with the receivers they have.

The GB defense overall is middle of the pack so I see no reason why the Texans can't move the ball, other than them shooting themselves in the foot.

Hervoyel
12-04-2008, 01:21 PM
My opinion is that I don't think it is fixable and that is why the Broncos were ok with parting with him after he was on tape for enough games. We need to upgrade this position with a guy who has more lower body strength. Myers has adequate upper body strength and plenty of foot speed to make those finesse blocks that are required, but he gets manhandled way too much by stronger guys. I'd actually be in favor of sending in a short yardage Center instead of a short yardage RB...at least the back won't have to dodge DT's before he gets out of the backfield.

So we got a backup center for a backup price basically. Not the steal many of us hoped he'd be. Would you keep him around as the backup or do you think he's basically a short timer here?

Vinny
12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
So we got a backup center for a backup price basically. Not the steal many of us hoped he'd be. Would you keep him around as the backup or do you think he's basically a short timer here? He's pretty good in space so I'd keep him....I'm hoping we find another center and we replace him - fingers crossed. He's just not a good person to have in the middle of your line if you only need a couple of yards when the field shrinks. Just watch that Slaton sequence from Monday...he gets destroyed.

Goatcheese
12-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Exactly. Slaton has actually shown pretty go power for his size. He was grabbed in the backfield on one of those runs and gained almost 2 yards. In the first Titans game he ran through the safety for a TD.

Still, a battering ram to wear down defenses would be a nice addition to the offense. Tire them out chasing Slaton, then beat their face in.

Thorn
12-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Exactly. Slaton has actually shown pretty go power for his size. He was grabbed in the backfield on one of those runs and gained almost 2 yards. In the first Titans game he ran through the safety for a TD.

Still, a battering ram to wear down defenses would be a nice addition to the offense. Tire them out chasing Slaton, then beat their face in.

I totally agree with this.

SheTexan
12-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Once again, Kubiak needs to have this team prepared. It's time to get past the great MNF game. We all had fun but it's back to business and we still need to try and make our road record look better than the one win we have this season.

That's the problem. Our team never appears prepared. Kubiak has been out coached every game this year. JMO!! If he gets out coached by a baby cheesehead, then we REALLY are in serious trouble with our HC. McCarthy is going on his second year as HC and Kubes his third. Hopefully that one extra year, PLUS 20+ yrs working with Daddy Shanny, will pay off this coming Sunday. I'm not putting my hard earned money on it though.

phantom17
12-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I haven't seen a single game as evidence of "dead legs".

Me too!

Signed- Tracey McGrady

gary
12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I changed my avatar hoping to bring him luck on Sunday.

Ckw
12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Is this even a question? Of course Slaton is going to finish strong. Reggie who?

Runner
12-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Is this even a question? Of course Slaton is going to finish strong. Reggie who?

Reggie who? Be serious. He is mentioned in any discussion of Texans running backs, defensive lineman, punt returners, or (less frequently) quarterbacks.

Reggie is the face of the Texans franchise.

mexican_texan
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM
On his show, Eric Winston said Slaton missed a cut/read on one of those plays. The other two, though, were on the linemen.

Polo
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Haven't really watched myers, but I have noticed him getting pushed around fairly easy...

On another note...It'd be nice to have Darius Walker just to offer a spell every 50 plays...

The Pencil Neck
12-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Haven't really watched myers, but I have noticed him getting pushed around fairly easy...

On another note...It'd be nice to have Darius Walker just to offer a spell every 50 plays...

I think Moats has looked fine in the limited work he's had so far.

TexanSam
12-04-2008, 09:30 PM

I think Kubiak would love to have that guy who can gain those extra yards in short yardage situations, but he knows that that guy isn't on the roster. Walker and Moats aren't complementary backs to Slaton. They're just there to back him up. Ahman Green was that guy before he got hurt, but now that he is injured Slaton is there by himself.

We need that "thunder and lightning" combo but neither Moats or Walker is "thunder"

Sal Rosenberg
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Does Slaton look like Reggie Bush?I keep getting freaked out:offtopic

Is it just me ?

Polo
12-04-2008, 09:42 PM

I think Darius would have been 'safer'...as far as protecting the ball and pass protection and knowing his assignments...I think he may be able to spell Slaton a little more often...But who knows...

infantrycak
12-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Vinny--I went back and looked at that series. The first two plays it looked like Slaton was designed to go so far right Meyers was almost irrelevant. Do you think Slaton was supposed to go inside and bounced out? The 3rd play was all on Meyers and he got obliterated straight back into Slaton--aaack.

mexican_texan
12-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Vinny--I went back and looked at that series. The first two plays it looked like Slaton was designed to go so far right Meyers was almost irrelevant. Do you think Slaton was supposed to go inside and bounced out? The 3rd play was all on Meyers and he got obliterated straight back into Slaton--aaack.
On the second play, yes, according to Winston.

76Texan
12-05-2008, 04:12 PM
True, Myers was bad on that play. But there's plenty to blame in that 3-play sequence. There was no hole. I'm not sure I can see what Winston was referring to. Unless a play was supposed to go somewhere else. Still, I don't see any clear route that Slaton could take, so he followed the lead blocker.

It's "a split of a second" decision for the RB... but yeah, it might have been different with Dayne in these situations.
It's very likely that Dayne could get back to the LOS on the 1st play; and therefore, would have scored on the second play.
But then again, we don't know if Dayne can get there fast enough! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Vinny
12-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Vinny--I went back and looked at that series. The first two plays it looked like Slaton was designed to go so far right Meyers was almost irrelevant. Do you think Slaton was supposed to go inside and bounced out? The 3rd play was all on Meyers and he got obliterated straight back into Slaton--aaack. Myers gets pushed back into the backfield quite a bit in short yardage and around the goal line. I just noticed this post so I'll have to take another peek, but the play I remembered the most out of that trio was the play that 3rd play you mention.

badboy
12-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Is this O line capable of pushing a defense back 4-5 yards consistently or is it just designed for non-straight ahead plays?

Spike
12-05-2008, 05:21 PM
I think Darius would have been 'safer'...as far as protecting the ball and pass protection and knowing his assignments...I think he may be able to spell Slaton a little more often...But who knows...

I agree. Hindsite is 20/20, but of all of the poor decisions made by the front office - the decisions made at RB were horrible. If Slaton hadn't exceeded expectations in the manner that he has, it would have been disasterous.

The coaching staffed gambled on the second RB (Slaton as the 3rd rounder was never in doubt) and completely lost. I am not sure what about Ron Daynes performance in 2007 prevented him from getting a look this year. Darius played well in limited action. Instead, we choose three players - all with recent injuries to fill this roll - and none of them are in the picture now.