PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby Jones.. Wildcat?

Texans_Fan59
12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
i Know it only happened once, but how many of you all were freaked out..

spurstexanstros
12-02-2008, 03:32 PM

Yeah..throw that play away and throw it away now.

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 03:48 PM

I was coming unglued over that stupid, ill-advised attempt at getting cute. Sometimes I just wonder what in the hell these people are thinking. The players trying to execute that play looked like they had no idea what was supposed to happen.

BuffaloglennTX
12-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I was coming unglued over that stupid, ill-advised attempt at getting cute. Sometimes I just wonder what in the hell these people are thinking. The players trying to execute that play looked like they had no idea what was supposed to happen.

I can see using Jacoby on a reverse or something but taking the snap did not look natural, for anyone on the field at that time. Maybe McNair stepped in and said "everyone else is doing it". LOL

JWarren14
12-02-2008, 04:13 PM
At least they only tried it once and threw it away. Nothing too terrible happened so it's not as bad as it could of been. I like trying it once, see if you could get a big play, but thats the end of the "wild bull"

Vinny
12-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I was cursing the formation as soon as I saw we lined up in it...I mean, we were runnnig fine at the time. Why get so friggin' cute? Why try to be the smartest guy in the room all the time? Snap the ball to Jacoby and turn this into a punt return? Come on. I thought it was kinda weak that we only ran this formation on MNF....to me it looks like the OC wanted to appear innovative, up to date and trendy. I kinda thought the opposite.

dtran04
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
That was probably the first trick play of the Kubiak era. He NEVER does anything like that. I bet it was a Kyle Shanahan move. LOL

Norg
12-02-2008, 04:32 PM
yea we tried it once i didnt work so we didnt try it no more can knock them for one tricky play

but the two quick step back throw to aj on the side plays where dumb IMO one was a reverse pass i think and u cant do that

ok we got slaton we had moats why i didnt see no hand offs or dumps and dinks to them whould have been much smarter

heck i know we Never do this but let slaton block and leech run down hill thats a more positive tricky play IMO

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Meh... Just the "Play D'jour".

Try it once. It sucked. Scrap it...

mexican_texan
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
It's better than all those fake reverses we ran with Walter early in the season.

Se˝or Stan
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I was cursing the formation as soon as I saw we lined up in it...I mean, we were runnnig fine at the time. Why get so friggin' cute? Why try to be the smartest guy in the room all the time? Snap the ball to Jacoby and turn this into a punt return? Come on.

And his mamma was in the wrong friggin' end zone to boot. That play had zero chance.

Polo
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm cool with it...Only had one real back in Slaton...Try to get other playmakers involved...que sera sera...

buddyboy
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
True...I'd rather have us try it when we're dominating the game and then scrap it than try it during a close game and find out that it's crap.

TexanSam
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Does it even count as a trick play anymore with every other team in the NFL using it?

False Start
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
That was the Wild Bull, and I hope we never see it again. FAIL!

Ckw
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
That was the Wild Bull, and I hope we never see it again. FAIL!

Only way I would want to see it is if Slaton is running it. Supposedly he did it some at WV.

maddogmrb
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Only way I would want to see it is if Slaton is running it. Supposedly he did it some at WV.

IMO, we want some more creativity out of this team. So, it didn't work that time, the first play Mario played in probably didn't go so well either, should we have scrapped him? Perhaps they had the wrong personnel - how about running it with Owen Daniel our secret QB?

Second Honeymoon
12-02-2008, 06:04 PM
whatever it was, daddy please make it stop. the nfl has always been a copycat league, but this whole Wildcat trend is off the charts-stupid.

Bubbajwp
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
IMO, we want some more creativity out of this team. So, it didn't work that time, the first play Mario played in probably didn't go so well either, should we have scrapped him? Perhaps they had the wrong personnel - how about running it with Owen Daniel our secret QB?

Bingo!

LZ
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I guess I'm in total disagreement. I, for one, am a proponent of getting creating and thinking outside the box. The direct snap has worked for many teams around the league and in college football. Just because J-Ville snuffed it out the one time it was run you want the Texans to throw it away? I don't. I want Kubiak to be willing to take some chances from time to time. I hope the play getting stuffed wasn't too much of a deterrent because, as a punt returner, Jacoby should be able to make some things happen out of that formation.

Bubbajwp
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
I guess I'm in total disagreement. I, for one, am a proponent of getting creating and thinking outside the box. The direct snap has worked for many teams around the league and in college football. Just because J-Ville snuffed it out the one time it was run you want the Texans to throw it away? I don't. I want Kubiak to be willing to take some chances from time to time. I hope the play getting stuffed wasn't too much of a deterrent because, as a punt returner, Jacoby should be able to make some things happen out of that formation.

I dont think they should scrap it. But they definetly looked like they should have practiced it more before using it in a game.

TexansSeminole
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM

I thought Kubiak chose a good time to get creative. It wouldn't have been a different story had it been in desperatio. The offense last night was moving the ball pretty well so there is no harm in trying your luck with a little misdirection.

However I am not sure we have the players to pull that off right now. Jacoby is a bit of a dancer, and taht's not really what you want from the guy who takes the snap in the Wildcat. Ronnie runs it well because he gets right down field after the fake.

If we had another running back like a Moreno or CJ Spiller we could probably pull it off. Slaton is the perfect weapon to have playing the Felix Jones/Ricky Williams role because he is very quick.

The Pencil Neck
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
If we show the Wildcat in a couple of different variations, then other teams have to spend a little time preparing for the possibility of the play.

It looked like we hadn't practiced it much, though.

HJam72
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Let's just do a bunch of odd-ball crap Sunday against the Packers, so the Titans will have to prepare for it, lol.

dtran04
12-02-2008, 09:34 PM
This team under Kubiak has been pretty vanilla. No special team tricks such as surprise onside kicks or fake punt/field goals. I still remember the option play that Stanley and Kris Brown ran. It was great hearing all of the Jags complain about it.

Since this season is over with pretty much, I wouldn't mind a little razzle dazzle. Hell, Baltimore has reverse WR passes and Troy Smith is throwing long bombs to Joe Flacco, both which have resulted in long TDs.

I would love to see the Texans draft Pat White in the 6th/7th as a developmental athlete and throw in West Virginia zone read plays time to time. It would force teams to prepare a little more.

HJam72
12-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'd just like to see us temporarily scrap the ZBS once in a while and pull the guards to block for Slaton on a sweep. A called run to the outside using ZBS will have Slaton cutting upfield every time, not that that hasn't been working quite well.

Norg
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
i like to see more dumps dinks slants and screens to OD hes been quite lately

TexanSam
12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I would love to see the Texans draft Pat White in the 6th/7th as a developmental athlete and throw in West Virginia zone read plays time to time. It would force teams to prepare a little more.

Slaton and White back on the same team! :doot:

TimeKiller
12-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm probably minority but I liked it. I think they should've switched Jacoby and Slaton but it was on national t.v. so everyone saw it...everyone has to waste time in practice going over it now.

Personally, I think we've got the personnel to do some damage on trick plays. Owen being an extra arm, 2 speedy playmakers in Jacoby and Slaton, the threat of threats Andre....Call it a trend if you will but if it gets us points I'll bet everybody loves it.

LZ
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
This may sound like hindsight, but my guess is that everyone on Jacksonville was keyed on Jacoby. I think handing it off would have actually been the smart play there. The timing was way off on the handoff so obviously they need more work. I agree with Seminole that maybe a RB would be a better option as the player for the direct snap, but that guy isn't on the roster right now.

HOU-TEX
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
This may sound like hindsight, but my guess is that everyone on Jacksonville was keyed on Jacoby. I think handing it off would have actually been the smart play there. The timing was way off on the handoff so obviously they need more work. I agree with Seminole that maybe a RB would be a better option as the player for the direct snap, but that guy isn't on the roster right now.

Not meaning to sound like a jackass, but I think everyone in the Nation was keying on JJ. I know he's the first thing I noticed when the formation was set.

I don't have a problem with the play itself. I have a problem with the way it was executed. I've yet to re-watch my DVR, but seeing it live made me wonder what the hell happened to the blockers on that side? Were there any? LOL!

Texan_Bill
12-03-2008, 09:47 AM
*wonders what LZ's dad thinks about the wildcat*

spurstexanstros
12-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Because Jacoby can barely hold onto the ball during punt returns much less with a blitz and d-lineman bearing down on him thats why.

Ole Miss Texan
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
A "gimmic/trick" play doesn't work the majority of the time. As soon as I saw the formation I was like... Oh boy here we go- this aint good. But heck, it's worth a try in that situation. Just because it didn't work that time doesn't mean we should scrap it, but it's obviously not going to be a key play in our offense anytime soon.

I too would have preferred to see Slaton back there. You've got to find ways to get the ball in your playmakers' hands and Slaton and Jacoby are definitely those guys from time to time.

As mentioned I think Daniels could be a really cool option to have. Have Jacoby lined up initially, OD at TE and then motion him back there, swing Jacoby outside and run a fake slant or something, CB's creep up and bite and then hit AJ, JJ, SL, or KW on a fade or something. Could work if we get just inside the red zone and try a quick score. Have Daniels practice that and prepare to throw it in the deep corner of the endzone. If it goes too far- it's outa bounds and there's no turnover. AJ could uses his leaping ability to snag it, land two feet in and then *duh-nah duh* Sportcenter time!:whip:

Blake
12-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I was disappointed to see that formation come onto the field. Our strength is our WR, not running backs, and to run the wildcat IMO you need good running backs.

Texan_Bill
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Not meaning to sound like a jackass, ..........

LZ comes around here often enough to know about you being a jackass and about your asshattery... ;)

HOU-TEX
12-03-2008, 11:41 AM
LZ comes around here often enough to know about you being a jackass and about your asshattery... ;)

:foottap:

El Tejano
12-03-2008, 12:26 PM
I was glad to see it for one reason only. Jville ran a version of it on us and that pretty much cost us that game. Our team decided to do the same to them. I was hoping we would try some kind of play that would make up for the play that beat us. I'm thinking that was the same reason we decided to run something like that on them.

Texans_Fan59
12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing it again, Maybe next time with a little more yardage though.. did jacoby ever play QB and can he even throw

Trail.Blazr
12-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I was glad to see it for one reason only. Jville ran a version of it on us and that pretty much cost us that game. Our team decided to do the same to them. I was hoping we would try some kind of play that would make up for the play that beat us. I'm thinking that was the same reason we decided to run something like that on them.

I agree. Using that same logic, I was hoping to see us suprise onside their arse sometime in the 2nd half. That would have been a sweet vindication for last years lapse where they caught us sleeping. I'm still chapped at that.. it was brilliant I guess.

TexansSeminole
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd rather us beat them normally without trick plays. That way if we are making a statement it's "You may beat us on a trick play, but the way we beat you can be repeated over and over and over..."

Vinny
12-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I guess I'm in total disagreement. I, for one, am a proponent of getting creating and thinking outside the box. The direct snap has worked for many teams around the league and in college football. Just because J-Ville snuffed it out the one time it was run you want the Texans to throw it away? I don't. I want Kubiak to be willing to take some chances from time to time. I hope the play getting stuffed wasn't too much of a deterrent because, as a punt returner, Jacoby should be able to make some things happen out of that formation.most of us just wonder why they got cute on National TV when they had all season to try this one time. Most of us agree with you but the timing of the play, especially since we weren't even calling many running plays in the first half makes some of us wonder who's ego was in charge of this call and why our Coaches have to always be the 'smartest guy in the room' when they should just line up and run the damn ball.

with thanks from feebleminded

Kaiser Toro
12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Jacoby Jones in wildcat formation? There is a time and place for that and it is college, practice or exhibition season.

I have looked and have not seen where Jacoby threw a pass in college, let alone in HS. That play was doomed to fail.

I would have rather seen a shovel pass executed than that BS.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
most of us just wonder why they got cute on National TV when they had all season to try this one time. Most of us agree with you but the timing of the play, especially since we weren't even calling many running plays in the first half makes some of us wonder who's ego was in charge of this call and why our Coaches have to always be the 'smartest guy in the room' when they should just line up and run the damn ball.

with thanks from feebleminded

"Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools that have not wit enough to be honest. "

Franšois de La Rochefoucauld

TEXANottoMAN
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I thought it was UGLY in its execution. If I remember, there was a run blitz comming from the right. There has to be a way to check out of that play.

stevn8r
12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought it was Awesome! I was lauging my arse off when I saw JJ behind center. I wished it would have worked but I had no idea what was about to happen and that was the great thing about it, neither did anyone else!
This is a game and that was fun to watch! I am sure there was laughter on the side lines after that one. I say keep it up, change it up. Direct snaps to Slaton, reverse to OD and a long bomb to KW or Anderson....OOOOooo, how bout a Statue of Liberty??? Now we're Talkin!!!!

TimeKiller
12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Because Jacoby can barely hold onto the ball during punt returns much less with a blitz and d-lineman bearing down on him thats why.

When was the last time he fumbled?

BigBull17
12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Jacoby Jones in wildcat formation? There is a time and place for that and it is college, practice or exhibition season.

I have looked and have not seen where Jacoby threw a pass in college, let alone in HS. That play was doomed to fail.

I would have rather seen a shovel pass executed than that BS.

Yep, if you were gonna run it, use Walter. He is more natural running with the ball. Also a better decision maker, I think.

Giant Tiger
12-05-2008, 09:19 PM

I thought the same thing. Daniels must have a better arm. They need to practice the play before using it in a game, though.

threetoedpete
12-07-2008, 04:54 AM
"Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools that have not wit enough to be honest. "

François de La Rochefoucauld

Well I went back and watched it again to be sure....Jacoby gives the ball off instead of keeping it, It's a big play. Line had every one engaged and there was a gaping hole. As fat as I am I could of picked up twelve yards. We have the extra tackle. Were down in ruining backs. Even if it didn't work it was worth a go. I'd like to see it again myself. This offense must, must mind you, have a rushing attack to make the passing attack go. If Salton goes down, they're dead.

Lucky
12-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I hear you. But, I also get why they tried the wildcat.

Almost every team has installed some version of this gimmick offense (no one ran it better than Kordell Stewart back in the '90s). So, the Texans had to run a scout team version so the defense could see it in practice. The wildcat probably looked so good in practice, that Teflonman & Lil Shanny decided to put it into the gameplan.

What they failed to take into consideration was that a lot of plays can look good against a Richard Smith scheme, and fail miserably against a real NFL defense.

Big Lou
12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I would like to run a new experimental punter Wildcat with Turk.

Are they gonna punt on second down?
NO.... It's the new P Wildcat, and Kris Brown is the lead blocker!!!!
What the hell just happened.

Can't stop the Turk.