PDA

View Full Version : "texans have something even better than bush"

nunusguy
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
When folks discuss the wise-in-hindsight decision of the Houston Texans to pass on running back Reggie Bush, the player whose name always gets mentioned is defensive end Marion Williams.

The more appropriate guy to invoke is Steve Slaton. Because he’s looking to be far better than Bush.

Two years ago, a scout told me after watching practice at West Virginia University that the then-sophomore Slaton likely will be at the next level a poor-man’s version of the then-Saints rookie Bush.

Last year, however, Slaton’s stock fell. I attended at least five WVU home games and watched the rest of them on television, and it appeared that Slaton had become tentative, possibly fearful that he’d suffer a Michael Bush-style injury and squander his NFL payday.

As a result of a so-so final season, Slaton slid to bottom of the third round. And the team that passed on Bush with the No. 1 overall pick in 2006 grabbed Slaton with selection No. 89 in 2008.

Already, Slaton has become the superior NFL running back.

In Week Thirteen, Bush had three carries for zero yards, five receptions for 32, and two punt returns for minus-16.

Slaton, on Monday night against the Jags, carried 21 times for 130 yards and two touchdowns. He also caught two passes for 52 yards, one of which nearly resulted in another score.

The reality? Bush and his 3-point-something yards-per-carry average will continue to be a glorified third-down back. Slaton is blossoming into the every-down option that no one every dreamed he’d be at this level.

Otherwise, he would have been picked a lot higher, even in a draft class full of good tailbacks.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Dread-Head
12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I knew that in that play off game when Reggie tried taking a pass over the middle...and took the mother of all hits. :user:

bah007
12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I knew that in that play off game when Reggie tried taking a pass over the middle...and took the mother of all hits. :user:

That was actually in the flats and the hit was by a cornerback.

I can't even imagine what a middle linebacker would have done to him.

Dread-Head
12-02-2008, 02:48 PM
That was actually in the flats and the hit was by a cornerback.

I can't even imagine what a middle linebacker would have done to him.

Ironic that it happened around Christmas, because when I saw it, all I could think as he was crawling around the Superdome was:

(To the tune of "Oh Holy Night")

"Fall.....on your knees......."

Vinny
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
eh, all the Bush talk in our forum makes me ill.....ugh. Frankly, we already have something better than Bush....Mario Williams. Slaton came later and played up to his pick just like Mario did.

bah007
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Ironic that it happened around Christmas, because when I saw it, all I could think as he was crawling around the Superdome was:

In the spirit of the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1BhQMkPEc

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
For comparison sake:

Rushes this year
Slaton - 180 for 940 (5 ypc)
Bush - 90 for 294 (3.3 ypc)

For his career, Bush has 1440 yards (3.6 ypc average) and 12 rushing TDs
Slaton already has 8 rushing TDs in his rookie season and is 2nd in ypc in the entire NFL

Slaton, in less than 1 season, has 10 runs of 20+ and 4 of 40+ yards.
Bush, in almost 3 seasons, has only 6 rushes of 20+ and 0 of 40+

Slaton has never lost a fumble.
Bush has averaged 4 fumbles a year.

Bush does have more receptions (47) than Slaton (34), but thats about the only advantage he has.

Yankee_In_TX
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
How about Slaton > Mendenhall is the more appropriate comment.

Especially Slaton + Brown >>> Mendenhall!!

GP
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
The title of this thread is funny, in a junior high locker room humor kinda' way.

GP
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM

I admit that I was definitely a fan of drafting Mendenhall.

bah007
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
eh, all the Bush talk in our forum makes me ill.....ugh. Frankly, we already have something better than Bush....Mario Williams. Slaton came later and played up to his pick just like Mario did.

I think there are some fans who aren't gonna let it go until the media apologizes to the Texans and their fans. Which isn't gonna happen.

There are others that think the media intentionally hypes Bush and minimizes Mario. That won't go away until we get out of the cellar and make the playoffs. Same thing for Slaton here.

I was bitter about the whole Bush & VY thing at first. But Mario has proved to me that he is a great player. I couldn't care less what the media thinks.

Yankee_In_TX
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
The title of this thread is funny, in a junior high locker room humor kinda' way.

So i'm not the only one....?

Drew_Smoke
12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I watched the tv broadcast this morning and they were saying how smart Casserly was for picking Mario...lol

nunusguy
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Good point. Trading our first round pick in xchange for those 2 was a great move !
As bad as Smith & Kubiak have performed in FA, they've performed as well to the other extreme in the college Draft.

Wolf
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Texan Bill hasn't seen the title yet :hides:

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I think there are some fans who aren't gonna let it go until the media apologizes to the Texans and their fans. Which isn't gonna happen.

There are others that think the media intentionally hypes Bush and minimizes Mario. That won't go away until we get out of the cellar and make the playoffs. Same thing for Slaton here.

I was bitter about the whole Bush & VY thing at first. But Mario has proved to me that he is a great player. I couldn't care less what the media thinks.

Seriously? I've read TONS of apologies all this past offseason and this year. Even Kornholio, the biggest Bush lover of them all, apologized last night and said he made a big mistake. We've gotten the apologies

Dread-Head
12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Texan Bill hasn't seen the title yet :hides:

He has...he's with his writers.

GP
12-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I watched the tv broadcast this morning and they were saying how smart Casserly was for picking Mario...lol

Dude. They ALL say that. Especially the CBS crew. Man, they looooove to bring that up when they can. "Hey, everybody! Our very own Casserly made that choice. Wisest man in all of football, and he's on CBS! We're smarter than those others stoopid broadcasting companies."

I mean, if they don't understand that there was no way McNair and crew were going to let a lame-duck, outgoing GM help them make a critical decision that affected a new HC...then, good gosh.

That'd be like an outgoing President being allowed to appoint people to an important position for the incoming President to be responsible for.

But there it is: The neat little footnote on Casserly's career. He is credited for the pick.

BigBull17
12-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Good point. Trading our first round pick in xchange for those 2 was a great move !
As bad as Smith & Kubiak have performed in FA, they've performed as well to the other extreme in the college Draft.

I give em alot of credit, but they have a few glaring blunders in the draft. The main one that kills me everytime I see a San Fran box score is Willis. I die a little inside when I think of what he would look like in the middle, with Demeco and Adibi on the outside.

HOU-TEX
12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I give em alot of credit, but they have a few glaring blunders in the draft. The main one that kills me everytime I see a San Fran box score is Willis. I die a little inside when I think of what he would look like in the middle, with Demeco and Adibi on the outside.

I'd like to see Adibi put on at least 10 lbs in the off-season. He'd be even more effective with a little more weight and learning how to keep blockers from getting inside. Heck, with his speed he just might end up on my Beast list. :)

Runner
12-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I think I'll know the Texans have arrived when the team's own fans stop defining the team by Reggie Bush.

Many teams get pilloried in the press for draft selections. It seems to be a battle cry around here for demands of respect from the media though. The national press will give the Texans respect when they prove it on the field and earn it. One "non-losing" season in seven years doesn't earn much.

Just my opinion though. I'm tired of the Mario draft rehash. I know I should just skip those threads, but they seem to pop up everywhere. I was a pick Mario guy, and I know I was in the minority back then. It seems to me that most of the board agreed with the national press at the time, so all this complaining seems disingenuous at best.

PapaL
12-03-2008, 10:16 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/zelly_15/ouchtime.gif

GP
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I think I'll know the Texans have arrived when the team's own fans stop defining the team by Reggie Bush.

Many teams get pilloried in the press for draft selections. It seems to be a battle cry around here for demands of respect from the media though. The national press will give Texans respect when they prove it on the field and earn it. One "non-losing" season in seven years doesn't earn much.

Just my opinion though. I'm tired of the Mario draft rehash. I know I should just skip those threads, but they seem to pop up everywhere. I was a pick Mario guy, and I know I was in the minority back then. It seems to me that most of the board agreed with the national press at the time, so all this complaining seems disingenuous at best.

Good post.

I think this team will have arrived when we beat teams that are better than us, and not just beating the teams equal-to or less-than us. But don't say that to the people who say "let us just enjoy THIS win!" because heaven knows that temporal success is the goal here. :brando:

False Start
12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm glad we have Marion Williams and not Regina Bush. :cool:

The subject has been beaten silly, but its always going to be talked about.

Brandon420tx
12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I mean, if they don't understand that there was no way McNair and crew were going to let a lame-duck, outgoing GM help them make a critical decision that affected a new HC...then, good gosh.

That'd be like an outgoing President being allowed to appoint people to an important position for the incoming President to be responsible for.

I'm pretty sure that happens and has happened for awhile.
But your point is valid in a football context.

TexansSeminole
12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I never thought Bush was going to be a great RB, that's the first post I ever made on this board. I was a pick Mario guy then and I am a pick Mario now guy, as Runner said.

Can't we get over this?

Thorn
12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Can't we get over this?

Never happen and you know it! LOL

Even if it settles down for a while, the very second Bush or Young have a good season all their fans will come out of the closet and start their BS again. This will probably not die down until after all three of the players are retired and doing infomercials.

Double Barrel
12-03-2008, 12:18 PM

yep. It wouldn't even be an issue anymore if this was a winning franchise.

El Tejano
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
The other thing to think about is:

Has there been a more dominant defensive lineman that came out of the draft over the last 3 years?

I honestly cannot recall any. However there have been dominant running backs that came out of the draft over the last 3 years. You can automatically point to Lendale White, Maurice Jones-Drew, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte (I called it), Chris Johnson, and our own Steve Slaton.

Mr teX
12-03-2008, 01:31 PM

I'll tell u what i thought when i saw it

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/adc/10101814A~Terence-Stamp-General-Zod-Posters.jpg

Brown/sheppard just completely owned him on that play.

RazorOye
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM

it's not a healthy obsession for Texans fans

Spled
12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
When Bush was basking in ESPN hype, Slaton was keeping busy in the weight room.

Texans_Chick
12-03-2008, 09:39 PM

It did happen. Here's examples from last year:

Mainstream Media Apologizes to Mario Williams for Irresponsible Reporting (http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/12/12/mainstream-media-apologizes-to-mario-williams-for-irresponsible/)

Entire Universe Apologizes to Mario Williams (http://www.fanhouse.com/2007/12/26/entire-universe-apologizes-to-mario-williams/)

My thoughts about the whole Mario-VY-Reggie thing is mostly in that first link.

nunusguy
12-04-2008, 08:11 AM
I open up with both barrels every chance I get with USC football and X-USC players in the NFL and most especially Bush. He's the poster boy for over hyped and overrated rated players in the league.
But what's worse of all is the clearly preferential treatment that that school and its players (past and present), get from the authorities that be like the NCAA. There's many examples of how USC has got a free-pass for its
infractions while other schools, in the Big 12 & SEC for example, have been held to a different standard.
And this situation with Bush, his family, and his agent over rent his family got from the agent while Bush was still in school is the most blatant example of what I'm talking about. And thats been been going on for literally years now.
Had this been a player in another school here in the Big 12 for instance, I suspect that he would have been stripped of his Heisman trophy and the school would be on some form of probation by now.
Call me paranoid if you want, but I'm convinced there's a link between
ESPN/ABC and its efforts to market USC and its players thru Walt Disney, Inc., which is headquartered in Southern California and is the parent corporate entity of ESPN/ABC. My theory (or paranoia if you wish), is based
on a desire by Disnesy to promote players like Bush because of geographical
allegiance and monetary reasons.

Dread-Head
12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Wow...still nothing from Bill? I'm amazed.

False Start
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow, there sure are some crazy people over at the Chron.com blogs. This quote is just an example of the "experts" that post there..... :crazy:

after three years, Mario hasn't quit on his team yet because he hasn't even begun yet. Check the trophy cases and the W/L column. At this moment, Vince is outplaying mario without even being on the field.

As is David Carr. :spit: