PDA

View Full Version : How is Duane Brown coming along

ToxicButt
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Some folks here have the time and expertise to evaluate Duane Brown's progress. I haven't seen a thread on this for some time and thought I'd tee one up. Thanks.

Lurker Dave

Jackie Chiles
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I think hes had a rough go of it lately. He can handle the non-elite rushers in the league but he has trouble with the good ones and we have faced a lot of good rushers. I pretty much figured he would have a solid night last night because Jacksonville really has no one that can come off the edge like a Freeney or Harrison etc. He also has to improve on the road. His run blocking is solid and he gets after it on screens. I believe his improvement going into next year is going to be the key to our team on offense and perhaps the key to our season next year(defensive improvement in general is possibly even more important). If he steps up and keeps the heat off Schaub good things will happen.

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 01:01 PM
He'll get better in another year. He's a rookie starting at LT and that's never pretty. We've done that two times in our teams history with Chester Pitts in 2002 and Seth Wand in 2004. My memory is a little hazy but I think Pitts allowed 12 sacks in that 76 sack monster 2002 season and then cut it to 2-3 the next year. Wand had a similarly rough rookie year and I think gave up double digits as well. He never got a chance to improve though because Joe Pendry decided he wasn't the LT for him and in his infininte wisdom brought that fat tub of lard Victor Riley into camp and gave him the starting LT spot.

Brown will get better. Very few guys ever pull a Joe Thomas and dominate from day one. He'll grow up and get stronger and learn the pro game.

badboy
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Good topic. I am very impressed with the rookie. Yes, he makes errors but so did Salaam last night. Comes with the territory. At least he does not look like a spinning top and to me at least has a good slide step to remain in front of the opposing player. I am more concerned with the play calling, sending Slaton up the middle at the goal line.

Goatcheese
12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Brown looked good on 90% of his plays for the first 5-6 weeks of the season, with an occasional bad play. It's been downhill since then. If he wasn't splitting time, I think he could have given up over 20 sacks by now.

To my eye, he just looks intimidated by good pashrushers; overreacting to every move, making it easy to set him up. They make a quick move to the outside and he just abandons any symblance of technique, and leaves the inside wide open.

In the running game, and on screen plays, he usually looks ok. Sometimes he'll really stand out on open field blocks, sealing the edge, and cut blocks to stop backside pursuit.

I saw him as a better guard than tackle before the draft, and I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind.

badboy
12-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Brown looked good on 90% of his plays for the first 5-6 weeks of the season, with an occasional bad play. It's been downhill since then. If he wasn't splitting time, I think he could have given up over 20 sacks by now.

To my eye, he just looks intimidated by good pashrushers; overreacting to every move, making it easy to set him up. They make a quick move to the outside and he just abandons any symblance of technique, and leaves the inside wide open.

In the running game, and on screen plays, he usually looks ok. Sometimes he'll really stand out on open field blocks, sealing the edge, and cut blocks to stop backside pursuit.

I saw him as a better guard than tackle before the draft, and I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind.Not to be picky, but he was drafted for this offense to be effective in the zone blocking scheme for our running game. Screen plays should and imo will be seen more in our future. You say he looks ok. Does that not say he is doing what he was drafted to do? I agree he has to get better when the OLB or DE tries to go around but he should get better with experience.

LZ
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't think he has been as terrible as some people think. His technique is still sloppy, but from a physical standpoint, he has shown that he can make it in the league as a pass protector. However, when he gets beat it is ususally because he gets off-balance which is due to his technique. Those things can be corrected.

As a run blocker, he is showing signs of improvement compared to early in the season and in the middle of the season when it looked like he was spinning his wheels. I am interested to see how he'll play against the run ifhe drops 10 pounds and becomes quicker.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think he has been as terrible as some people think. His technique is still sloppy, but from a physical standpoint, he has shown that he can make it in the league as a pass protector. However, when he gets beat it is ususally because he gets off-balance which is due to his technique. Those things can be corrected.

As a run blocker, he is showing signs of improvement compared to early in the season and in the middle of the season when it looked like he was spinning his wheels. I am interested to see how he'll play against the run ifhe drops 10 pounds and becomes quicker.Lance, one thing I've noticed is that he has better knee bend and hips than Winston does in the running game when it comes to getting underneath defenders (when he remembers to make the effort). He gets lower better than Winston does on his side...when Winston has to flow left and take the interior guy he often bounces off of him because he is too high and not quick enough to get his body on or under the defenders shoulder to deliver the proper blow...Winston has struggled with this all year. Brown can keep his pad level lower more naturally.

Hooston Texan
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Brown will get better. Very few guys ever pull a Joe Thomas and dominate from day one. He'll grow up and get stronger and learn the pro game.

Not even Joe Thomas is pulling that trick right now. You can ask Mario. Yes, he didn't get a sack in the game, but he was eating Thomas' lunch much of that afternoon.

Maddict5
12-02-2008, 03:26 PM
he looks like a promising rookie.. he gets beat by the elite pass rushers, makes mistakes and has poor technique at times but everything is there for him to develop into a very good OT: athleticism, enthusiasm, hes tough on himself (after a poor play you can see he gets upset) and most importantly, hes improved as hes gone along especially run wise

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 03:39 PM

As a run blocker, he is showing signs of improvement compared to early in the season and in the middle of the season when it looked like he was spinning his wheels. I am interested to see how he'll play against the run ifhe drops 10 pounds and becomes quicker.

And the pass for that matter. IMO, he tends to get beat by edge speed (Porter, Freeney, Harrison, etc.) like his buddy Salaam did. Although, Brown seems to have the athleticism that Salaam lacks. I would think losing a few lbs would help him immensely with speed rushers as well.

It'd be interesting to see what his playing weight is at now considering he was reportedly overweight at the beginning of the season.

mexican_texan
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought he blocked well the past 2 weeks, I'd say his biggest problem right now is conditioning/consistency. He'll be great one play and he'll look like a rookie the next. The line in general has been playing better, but it's probably just the fact that we played the Jaguars and Browns.

On that note, make sure to tune in to 610 to hear Winston's show. He's not afraid to tell it like it is and he'll often talk about the line.

dtran04
12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think there's TOO much shame in giving up sacks to Porter, Freeney, and Harrison. Nobody has stopped them all year so I don't expect a rookie to.

beerlover
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Duane looks justified being selected late in the 1st rd. his body type is less than ideal for a franchise LT but what he does have is the frame to play other positions, RT, LG or RG. that versatility is a hallmark for ZBS where its required for all positions to be mobile with stamina & athleticism to get down field into second level.

Its observant to note he does have natural knee bend & smooth hips in change of direction moves. I also like his temperment & competiveness two critical areas to become a great lineman. his lack of experience (being prepared & mentally alert for every down) has been the problem. he also has a shorter frame & needs to continue this offseason to add strength & power to his hand punch.

I would have been pretty upset if the Texans had used the 18th pick on him but they didn't they traded down & added Steve "SPEED" Slaton & Dominique "Marion little brother" Barber. I'd expect the Texans to add another linemen via the draft who is athletic, undervalued & fits along this finally coming together Gibbs coached OL.

LZ
12-02-2008, 09:25 PM
The thing that Winston has over Brown right now is that his feet are much more fluid and he can get to the second level which is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT THING in zone blocking.

If Brown comes in next year at 315, I think you'll see a much better player all the way around. That guy has had one of the most brutal week to week matchups that I have ever seen in pro football for a rookie left tackle or any left tackle for that matter.

TexansSeminole
12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
The thing that Winston has over Brown right now is that his feet are much more fluid and he can get to the second level which is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT THING in zone blocking.

If Brown comes in next year at 315, I think you'll see a much better player all the way around. That guy has had one of the most brutal week to week matchups that I have ever seen in pro football for a rookie left tackle or any left tackle for that matter.

Not to mention he practices against Mario. He should improve his game in time.

TimeKiller
12-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't think there's TOO much shame in giving up sacks to Porter, Freeney, and Harrison. Nobody has stopped them all year so I don't expect a rookie to.

For real, I mean I can't believe he can't hold back the elites of the game. :headhurts: "He looks like a rookie".....because....He IS a rookie.

He's fine. There are certainly worse players on this team AND on the line who aren't rookies.

nunusguy
12-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Duane looks justified being selected late in the 1st rd. his body type is less than ideal for a franchise LT but what he does have is the frame to play other positions, RT, LG or RG. that versatility is a hallmark for ZBS where its required for all positions to be mobile with stamina & athleticism to get down field into second level.

Its observant to note he does have natural knee bend & smooth hips in change of direction moves. I also like his temperment & competiveness two critical areas to become a great lineman. his lack of experience (being prepared & mentally alert for every down) has been the problem. he also has a shorter frame & needs to continue this offseason to add strength & power to his hand punch.

I would have been pretty upset if the Texans had used the 18th pick on him but they didn't they traded down & added Steve "SPEED" Slaton & Dominique "Marion little brother" Barber. I'd expect the Texans to add another linemen via the draft who is athletic, undervalued & fits along this finally coming together Gibbs coached OL.
Are you suggesting that while the Texans may like Duane in their ZB system at some position, they still may not see him as their long-term answer at LT ?

beerlover
12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Are you suggesting that while the Texans may like Duane in their ZB system at some position, they still may not see him as their long-term answer at LT ?

they like him very much. however, he could play other positions with fluidity, if needed or they luck into upgrade, his versatility adds value. Texans also don't have to pay him top 10 money @ LT, its hard to imagine the Texans going back to back in the 1st rd with another tackle prospect but you can never say never you just let the draft come to you, if it so happens to be bpa & there are no trade offers they like its possible, unlikely but possible. as Duane understands the pro game, develops his body as such he can be successful right where he's playing at.

he rates much higher for me straight up as the 26th pick over someone the Texans drafted with the 16th pick :thisbig:

HOU-TEX
12-03-2008, 09:22 AM

I was thinking closer to 300-310. I suppose it depends where he's at now.

Not to mention he practices against Mario. He should improve his game in time.

Nothing against Mario what so ever, but IMO, he doesn't have the edge speed some of the smaller DE/OLB's have. Mario rarely runs around his blocker....he's goes through their asses. :)

BigBull17
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I was thinking closer to 300-310. I suppose it depends where he's at now.

Nothing against Mario what so ever, but IMO, he doesn't have the edge speed some of the smaller DE/OLB's have. Mario rarely runs around his blocker....he's goes through their asses. :)

I really like his stiff arm move, where he uses his wingspan to gain control then blows past him. He isnt the pass rusher a Freeny is, but he is a complete DE. In addition, he is a one man show.

HOU-TEX
12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I really like his stiff arm move, where he uses his wingspan to gain control then blows past him. He isnt the pass rusher a Freeny is, but he is a complete DE. In addition, he is a one man show.

Hell yeah he is!

There was one play he didn't get a sack, but he blasted the LT into the backfield and used him as a battering ram on Garrard. That was sweet too. :)