PDA

View Full Version : How did we look on tv?

Silver Oak
12-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I forgot to set the DVR to record the game so I'm just curious...for those who had to watch the game from their sofa, how did the team, fans, city look from your television? there were times when we were loud, but I think I've heard us louder. the stands had quite a few seats empty (?), yet the parking lot was as full as I've ever seen it.

commentators positive about Houston? I suppose how we look and are portrayed goes long way towards when we get our next MNF game.

Runner
12-02-2008, 08:05 AM
The team look good and the commentators were positive. The red pants (in combination with the red jerseys) looked ridiculous, unless you are into playing football in pajamas.

Señor Stan
12-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I forgot to set the DVR to record the game so I'm just curious...for those who had to watch the game from their sofa, how did the team, fans, city look from your television? there were times when we were loud, but I think I've heard us louder. the stands had quite a few seats empty (?), yet the parking lot was as full as I've ever seen it.

commentators positive about Houston? I suppose how we look and are portrayed goes long way towards when we get our next MNF game.

The cameraman liked him some Joe Texan.

drewmar74
12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
The team look good and the commentators were positive. The red pants looked ridiculous, unless you are into playing football in pajamas.

Tony Kornhole said that the all red unis made the players look like "ketchup bottles." I tend to agree.

The cameraman liked him some Joe Texan.

I noticed that. JT was representin' very nicely.

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 08:55 AM
The team look good and the commentators were positive. The red pants looked ridiculous, unless you are into playing football in pajamas.

What he said.
They were really positive about how nice Houston was, how pretty our downtown area is, how big the city is, how great McNair was, and how awesome our fans were.

I had to check the listing to make sure I was still on ESPN

V Man
12-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Everything looked good, but one thing did bother me. WIth 5 to 10 minutes til Kickoff, it looked like 95% of the stadium was still empty. But it did fill up quickly once the game started.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Hmm, I actually kind of like the all red uniforms. :worm:

V Man
12-02-2008, 09:08 AM

They aren't that bad, but I like the Red Jersey's with the White pants better.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 09:10 AM

2-0 in those ketchup pants looks mighty fine to me.....

Runner
12-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I've watched enough Project Runway to know bad fashion when I see it, and I was seeing it! :)

Silver Oak
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Everything looked good, but one thing did bother me. WIth 5 to 10 minutes til Kickoff, it looked like 95% of the stadium was still empty. But it did fill up quickly once the game started.

We came in from 59 North, from The Woodlands, and traffic was beyond horrible. I thought we'd have an hour or so of tailgating, but as it turned out, it was two guzzled Bud Selects and on into the game just in time for kickoff. I would guess many folks were in that same traffic.

I actually like the all red unis, and I really like our record in them!

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I've watched enough Project Runway to know bad fashion when I see it, and I was seeing it! :)

LMAO! I guess you're married?

Eh, maybe that explains why I like them. If it weren't for the wife and kids I'd still be wearing cut-off jeans and tank-tops.

Runner
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Eh, maybe that explains why I like them. If it weren't for the wife and kids I'd still be wearing cut-off jeans and tank-tops.
I would describe my own style as "too casual", at least that is what my wife says whenever I finish dressing.

=====================

The PJs didn't win the game.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM

I would describe my own style as "too casual", at least that is what my wife says whenever I finish dressing.

=====================

The pants didn't win the game.

:backsout:

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:26 AM

=====================

The pants didn't win the game.

Agreed. IMO, the win came from the Jags shooting self in foot coupled with decent play from the Texans.

beerlover
12-02-2008, 09:26 AM
the Texans look great whenever they win :texflag:

the past three drafts have infused some foundation pieces to the point we look like a team on the cusp of developing a winning culture, at least a legitimate product NFL embraces. still the QB play scares nobody but its own fans, the commitment to running the ball between the tackles needs a banger, they always run away from Mario side :mario: & complaints about Reeves seem unwarrented or at least abating (good recovery speed & ability to hang on the hip of the receiver, developing ball skills).

otherwise the City looked very sharp & clean :tiphat:

Yankee_In_TX
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Did anyone hear "Houston....Texans!" chants during ESPN's post game show, right around 11 PM when Slaton came on?

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 09:50 AM
lol yeah, was that you guys?

Also, what were ya'll chanting during the post game wrap up with Emmitt and company?

Yankee_In_TX
12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
lol yeah, was that you guys?

Also, what were ya'll chanting during the post game wrap up with Emmitt and company?

Which time?

I (solo) was the "Houston" part :)

They chanted for Emmit, against the Cowboys, for Steve (Slaton, and Young started waving so we all booed, lol). I think Stuart even got a few chants.

False Start
12-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I re-watched the game when I got home last night and it looked pretty damn good to me. The noise level was what I expected and maybe a bit more. The stadium filled up quick! I went to smoke, and when I came back the place was packed. I loved it, and now I will be investing in some season tickets next year. My voice is shot and my back is throbbing, but I would do it all over again today if I could.

euro-Texan
12-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I did hear Jaws spit out a little praise for Reeves. He was using the same stats that Chron.com used in an article last week or so. From a TV standpoint Reliant looked like it was on fire when the game started. I think the Jags had at least 4 false starts and the Defense really seemed to be feeding off the crowd. I think the fans did a great job, but I wonder what the ratings for this game ended up looking like????

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Kinda off topic, but after watching the post game shows at the house I noticed Stuarts eyes were blood red. I wonder if he's ok.

Steve Young, Emmitt Smith and Tony K. are horrible. Young has trouble speaking without losing his though process. Smith can't say anything that is related to anything. After he makes his comment you get the "wtf was he talking about".

Dread-Head
12-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Joe Texan...and his hat...filled my screen. It almost made up for Dewey throwing an interception and Emmit Smith's "Mushmouth" impression.

"Heyba manb. Whyb da Texans can'tb..." that guy's a riot. You would almost think he was some uneducated bumpkin who'd be working in a feed store in rural Florida somewhere if he wasn't any good at football or something.

GP
12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
The post-game commentary by Stuart Scott, Emmitt Smith, and Steve Young was a bloody mess.

Those guys stumbled over every sentence they uttered, couldn't remember how to pronounce the names of our players, and just butchered the dialogue between themselves.

I sat there and was like, "WTH?" These guys looked like junior college students doing a project for a media class.

And Stuart Scott? Don't even get me started on that guy. He is definitely now the guy I dislike the most. He chose Jacksonville to start off with, then he bumbles his way through his commentary (post-game)...and, he completely screwed up the part about how we finally stopped them on 4th and 2. No we didn't. They gained THAT first down, you moron. It was 4th and goal that we stopped them on.

Kornhole was belittling us a lot, talking crap about the jerseys and about the odd stat of how there's a tower in Houston that's the tallest building that's not located in a downtown area. He's so smarmy and snarky, but I guess it's a role he plays up. The guy is a stain in the underwear of Howard Cossell as far as I am concerned. If he's trying to be like Howard, he's failing.

Tirico and Jaws were verrry good. They could handle the gig themselves and dump the Grumpy Old Man, IMO.

Seats looked empty a lot, IMO. Joe Texan was featured a lot, which was cool.

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but here goes: I don't know that the super fans that are shown on camera during a game, are really helping us solidify a "look" that people can identify us with. The two guys who wear the Mario brothers outfit are probably the best, followed by Joe Texan, and then there's a pretty steep drop-off after that...the whole mardi-gras look with the beads and crap dangling around the neck is not working for me. Neither is the guy in the flaming red mohawk nect to Joe Texan and neither are the two guys with the paper machete bullhorn hats and overalls...oh crap, I just KNOW that those guys are some of the guys who are on this board! Don't be mad at me, please. I just think our on-camera super fans need some professional handling in terms of their wardrobe and "look."

I think Joe Texan, Super Mario Brothers, and Texans Chick should be the ones that the cameras focus on the most.

My two cents on how we looked last night. I was OK with the battle red jerseys...it's a unique look that we trot out against divisional rivals.

mike moffat
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Last night made all of the pain and money spent on the 52" Sony Bravia and Directv worthwhile. It was a good game. Slaton ate their lunch.

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Gotta disagree with most of the above, except for the post game interview. They didn't even know the names of many of the players.

I thought Kornheiser was shockingly nice. He apologized for the Bush-a-palooza and he said how great Mario was and how Bush isn't a pro-bowl back.

He joked about the uniforms, which did look awful (awfully embarrassing) with those red pants. We did look like ketchup bottles. I mean, did you want him to ignore that?

He joked about the stat of "tallest building outside of a downtown area" which is also a little funny. Its like baseball stats "most strikeouts with 2 outs on wednesday day games"

He gave the city of houston a lot of respect, IMO. He said how pretty the town looked and how great the stadium, its fans, and its owner were. Nice stuff.

As for the fans, I thought they looked great. Dress up, paint your faces, wear beads, whatever it takes to look the part of ultimate fan. I want all the fans on tv, not just 3 pre-picked people. I thought the camera crew did a great job

GP
12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I did hear Jaws spit out a little praise for Reeves. He was using the same stats that Chron.com used in an article last week or so. From a TV standpoint Reliant looked like it was on fire when the game started. I think the Jags had at least 4 false starts and the Defense really seemed to be feeding off the crowd. I think the fans did a great job, but I wonder what the ratings for this game ended up looking like????

Tirico and Jaws did their homework.

They referenced things we talk about on the boards:

1. The play of Jacques Reeves

2. The job of our d-coordinator

I mean, I think they seriously scouted the boards for what the fans are talking about.

There's Tirico, Jaws, and then everyone else is far off in the distance after those two guys.

Stuart Scott does not need to be working in television. Period. I can't stop staring at his eyes, and he tries to be cool with all his little catch phrases as if he's trying to do SportsCenter...dude: Stop it, OK? Those days are over. Just commentate and try to remember the facts.

GP
12-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Gotta disagree with most of the above, except for the post game interview. They didn't even know the names of many of the players.

I thought Kornheiser was shockingly nice. He apologized for the Bush-a-palooza and he said how great Mario was and how Bush isn't a pro-bowl back.

He joked about the uniforms, which did look awful (awfully embarrassing) with those red pants. We did look like ketchup bottles. I mean, did you want him to ignore that?

He joked about the stat of "tallest building outside of a downtown area" which is also a little funny. Its like baseball stats "most strikeouts with 2 outs on wednesday day games"

He gave the city of houston a lot of respect, IMO. He said how pretty the town looked and how great the stadium, its fans, and its owner were. Nice stuff.

As for the fans, I thought they looked great. Dress up, paint your faces, wear beads, whatever it takes to look the part of ultimate fan. I want all the fans on tv, not just 3 pre-picked people. I thought the camera crew did a great job

I don't like Kornheiser's act, regardless of what teams are playing. He's trying to be the funny guy all the time, and it doesn't work. It just isn't working at all. And he wasn't being nice about the stat about the tallest building not located inside a downtown area. Here's what happened: Some Houston Chamber of Commerce rep, or some Texans Public Relations rep, met with them and gave them a brief rundown on noteworthy things to talk about during the game, to make them look smart. Tony took it and said "Ah, I can make fun of THIS one!" and that's what happened. He was totally snarky about that.

I am not syainf to only focus on three fans. I just think we need to have the majority of TV time (of fans in the stands) to be the ones I mentioned. I think they have the best Texans image. Not really a point to be haggled over, it's just that when I think of Denver...I think of Barrel Man, and when I think of the Jets...I think of the fireman guy on the shoulders and pumping up the crowd, and when I think of Cleveland...I think of the guys in the rubber dog masks. We need a super fan that a national TV crew pinpoints and that everyone remembers. To me, the Mario Brothers guys do the best job of looking like a Super Fan but not by going too weird with their outfit.

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't like Kornheiser's act, regardless of what teams are playing. He's trying to be the funny guy all the time, and it doesn't work. It just isn't working at all. And he wasn't being nice about the stat about the tallest building not located inside a downtown area. Here's what happened: Some Houston Chamber of Commerce rep, or some Texans Public Relations rep, met with them and gave them a brief rundown on noteworthy things to talk about during the game, to make them look smart. Tony took it and said "Ah, I can make fun of THIS one!" and that's what happened. He was totally snarky about that.

Just out of curiosity, did you find this insulting?

I mean, come on, it is a sort of silly stat. They showed the Williams tower, and highlighted its "fame" Then tony poked a little fun by saying "I can't believe they have a stat for tallest buildings outside of downtown areas"

I mean, I understand that people dno't like him because he's annoying, knows nothing about football, and is smarmy. But all in all, I was 100% surprised by how much better he was than I had been expecting

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
The post-game commentary by Stuart Scott, Emmitt Smith, and Steve Young was a bloody mess.

Those guys stumbled over every sentence they uttered, couldn't remember how to pronounce the names of our players, and just butchered the dialogue between themselves.

I sat there and was like, "WTH?" These guys looked like junior college students doing a project for a media class.

"And boom goes the dynamite"

GP
12-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, did you find this insulting?

I mean, come on, it is a sort of silly stat. They showed the Williams tower, and highlighted its "fame" Then tony poked a little fun by saying "I can't believe they have a stat for tallest buildings outside of downtown areas"

I mean, I understand that people dno't like him because he's annoying, knows nothing about football, and is smarmy. But all in all, I was 100% surprised by how much better he was than I had been expecting

I was pissed off about it, and I live 13 hours from Houston.

He tries to break into the flow of the conversation between Tirico and Jaws all the time, and usually ends up just half-heartedly mumbling and getting token chuckles from Tirico and Jaws who then move onto more dialogue about the game.

You're being overly generous in your opinion of Kornheiser. Or I'm being overly cynical. Whichever it is, I just can't stand the guy. Why MNF feels the need to prop up a funny man (first it was Dennis Miller) is beyond me. At least put a funny man (Golic?) on there who knows what the hell he's talking about and doesn't drift off into Seinfeld land all the time. Just my two cents.

Golic could be THE next coming of John Madden, IMO. He's big, boisterous, and loveable.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Someone summed up Kornholio (apologies because I don't remember who it was) perfectly last week. That is, that Kornholio is fine whenever he's doing a quasi-scripted show like PTI. As a color guy trying to inject *whatever* he is horrible.

I really enjoy listening to Jaws. Not all ex-players make good commentators, but Jaws studies the game and offers a lot of insight. He and Tirico have decent chemistry so I would rather listen to those two alone than have Kornholio interject anything at all.

HoustonFrog
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Here are things I saw on TV

1) Red look was a little much but Steve Young said they were the coolest unforms in the league besides the Charger throwbacks.

2) Jaws is a good commentator but you could tell their research was limited. He mentioned the talent on offense and then said something about looking at the D-line and how with Mario, Amobi and Travis..all high picks..that we had the young talent to come together....has he seen Travis J?Has he seem Amobi lately?

3) As I wrote in one thread, Keyshawn on ESPN said Andre was too good to be stuck here.

4) The ESPN crew were effusive in their praise for AJ and Slaton. They also seemed to like Schaub alot and thought Sage was playing for a contract on another team.

5) Honestly....don't throw things at me..I thought the crowd noise was really weak on TV. I've seen louder.

6) Stadium and city looked great.

GP
12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Here are things I saw on TV

1) Red look was a little much but Steve Young said they were the coolest informs in the league besides the Charger throwbacks.

2) Jaws is a good commentator but you could tell their research was limited. He mentioned the talent on offense and then said something about looking at the D-line and how with Mario, Amobi and Travis..all high picks..that we had the young talent to come together....has he seen Travis J?Has he seem Amobi lately?

3) As I wrote in one thread, Keyshawn on ESPN said Andre was too good to be stuck here.

4) The ESPN crew were effusive in their praise for AJ and Slaton. They also seemed to like Schaub alot and thought Sage was playing for a contract on another team.

5) Honestly....don't throw things at me..I thought the crowd noise was really weak on TV. I've seen louder.

6) Stadium and city looked great.

Yeah, the crowd noise was not what it should have been. Due to an open roof, maybe? That's a possibility. Or the crowd noise level was turned down by ESPN because, let's face it, there wasn't much on-the-field drama that would support it an dmake it look and feel right.

Keyshawn picked the Jags. Bad move, Key. You and Stuart Scott are not on my Christmas list this year.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm watching my DVR rerun via bits and pieces this morning and the blimp shots and the area shots on this crystal clear Houston night were stunning in HD....I almost had to ask myself what city this game was played in...it looked like a video game recreation.

I don't like the red on red High School uniforms...we are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too gimmicky when it comes to marketing. I wish the world could see us in the same uniform a few times before they go mixing in all these alternative uniforms...I bet most NFL fans outside of the AFC South have no clue which look/uniform is our home uniform. Everyone knows what the Cowboys, Steelers and Packers look like. I'd like us to have some consistency in our look and get rid of the HS color scheme.

b0ng
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't like the red on red High School uniforms...we are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too gimmicky when it comes to marketing. I wish the world could see us in the same uniform a few times before they go mixing in all these alternative uniforms...I bet most NFL fans outside of the AFC South have no clue which look/uniform is our home uniform. Everyone knows what the Cowboys, Steelers and Packers look like. I'd like us to have some consistency in our look and get rid of the HS color scheme.

Well if we got more than 1 prime time game a year, then we'd have a better shot at other fans knowing one iota of information about us, besides the fact that we did not draft Vince Young or Reggie Bush.

euro-Texan
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Did anyone remember which commentator mentioned at pregame that many Texans fans wouldn't make it because the temp was supposed to fall below 50 degrees during the game? I thought that made us seem pretty weak.

Above everything else, I was expecting the commentary to be much more harsh than it was. They did a pretty good job considering they too most likely don't follow the Texans base on our lack of ever finishing with a winning record, but I am most thankful that they didn't have any type of TO, Plaxico or Pacman off the field BS to talk about when mentioning the Texans. While they did mention Fred Taylor's comments about his team, we came out looking like a under achieving, but professional organization.

threetoedpete
12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, they gotta market the red jerseys. If nothing else..it's in the jaguars heads now. Anything that puts money in Mr. McNair's pocket and keeps us in players, i'm for it.

The guy with the painted star over his nose and mouth.....very metro sexual. Good idea....move the star. The total effect was one of a Montrose viagra party gone terribly worng. The colors were nice....move the star from being dead center over your mouth. Not good.

threetoedpete
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Did anyone remember which commentator mentioned at pregame that many Texans fans wouldn't make it because the temp was supposed to fall below 50 degrees during the game? I thought that made us seem pretty weak.

Above everything else, I was expecting the commentary to be much more harsh than it was. They did a pretty good job considering they too most likely don't follow the Texans base on our lack of ever finishing with a winning record, but I am most thankful that they didn't have any type of TO, Plaxico or Pacman off the field BS to talk about when mentioning the Texans. While they did mention Fred Taylor's comments about his team, we came out looking like a under achieving, but professional organization.

No but they did do a peice and graphic, long over due....on the 2006 draft. They have an article on that up at the web site. Too lazy to drag up the 2006 draft threads and link it. The "I was worng" by the corn hole was priceless.

Dump him ESPN. He doesn't work. Neither does the crack wagon master Irving. Your ratings. I ain't watching him. I want to see a low life I turn on the news at ten.

euro-Texan
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, they gotta market the red jerseys. If nothing else..it's in the jaguars heads now. Anything that puts money in Mr. McNair's pocket and keeps us in players, i'm for it.

The guy with the painted star over his nose and mouth.....very metro sexual. Good idea....move the star. The total effect was one of a Montrose viagra party gone terribly worng. The colors were nice....move the star from being dead center over your mouth. Not good.

HAHAHA LMAO Classic!

Yankee_In_TX
12-02-2008, 12:41 PM

LMAO. Wait, what's wrong with guys who paint stars on their faces??!

Actually, Lil_Red pointed out how many more people had their faces painted last night. Where have those fans been the last half a decade?

Runner
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Well if we got more than 1 prime time game a year, then we'd have a better shot at other fans knowing one iota of information about us, besides the fact that we did not draft Vince Young or Reggie Bush.
Why should the national fans get over Bush/Young? Local Texans fans can't. I also find it ironic that Young is always mentioned too. He was much more of a local debate than national. For the majority of fans across the nation, Bush was the number one choice. Most people didn't have Vince as the top QB, much less top pick.

Edited to add:

Note that the Steve Slaton thread that was started about the same time I posted this has already brought up Bush. It took eight posts. I think the earlier Slaton thread has a Bush section too. I think the national fans will forget about the Bush/Texans connection before Texans fans forget their hurt feelings.

GlassHalfFull
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I am so mad at myself for forgetting to DVR the game. I would love to watch it with all the commentary to see what was said for myself.

If anyone would be willing to make me a copy, I would be eternally grateful. (I would even pay costs too).

SheTexan
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I haven't watched the game on TV YET, but, I can say, it was fun being there!! The Bullpen was fantastic last night. It seemed that most of the fans were standing, yelling, and waving those silly pom pom's for most of the game. Marcie texted me the ketchup comment and I thought it was funny, simply because when I looked out on the field, I could see why they said that. Personally, I'm not opposed to the all red, but, I perfer the red jersey and white pants. Wish we had that for ALL our home games.

I'll watch the game tonight, since Dancing With the Stars is over and I don't have Warren Sapp to entertain me anymore!!:)

GlassHalfFull
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I haven't watched the game on TV YET, but, I can say, it was fun being there!! The Bullpen was fantastic last night. It seemed that most of the fans were standing, yelling, and waving those silly pom pom's for most of the game. Marcie texted me the ketchup comment and I thought it was funny, simply because when I looked out on the field, I could see why they said that. Personally, I'm not opposed to the all red, but, I perfer the red jersey and white pants. Wish we had that for ALL our home games.

I'll watch the game tonight, since Dancing With the Stars is over and I don't have Warren Sapp to entertain me anymore!!:)

Can I come over?

Silver Oak
12-02-2008, 01:52 PM

:spit:

BigWig
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM

You call Warren entertaining? C'mon GMA we need to get you some help, he he.

Brando
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM

I like them also. I also like the all white. I like both better than the white top with blue pants.

I don't know if anyone brought this up but wth with the end zone pylon out of place on AJ's 1stQ TD...that was embarassing. With it being our first MNF game it seems like we would have everything right.

Kornhieser did admit that he was in the draft Bush camp and he was wrong about the pick and the Texans made the right choice. So props to Tony for being a man and saying he was wrong.

infantrycak
12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't know if anyone brought this up but wth with the end zone pylon out of place on AJ's 1stQ TD...that was embarassing. With it being our first MNF game it seems like we would have everything right.

How is that embarrassing to us?--pretty sure the refs were responsible for them and clearly we don't own them.

Brando
12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
How is that embarrassing to us?--pretty sure the refs were responsible for them and clearly we don't own them.

Well excuse me I didn't know it was the refs fault. I feel better, my bad. :)

threetoedpete
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
LMAO. Wait, what's wrong with guys who paint stars on their faces??!

Actually, Lil_Red pointed out how many more people had their faces painted last night. Where have those fans been the last half a decade?

Well my first thought was this guy is looking for a bad scene from the movie Deliverance. The star was just out of position is all. It was a nice star in the wrong spot.

threetoedpete
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Better than leaving a drum band cart in the middle of the end zone. I'm sure it was knocked out of place earlier and someone moved it to the wrong spot out of conveyance. No harm no foul. The stadium and fans were pretty righteous last night.

Double Barrel
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm watching my DVR rerun via bits and pieces this morning and the blimp shots and the area shots on this crystal clear Houston night were stunning in HD....I almost had to ask myself what city this game was played in...it looked like a video game recreation.

I liked the shots of the stadium from above when the fireworks were going off and they made everything red. Pretty cool visual.

As far as our unis, we only have six different combinations for eight home games. I swear if they'd just try a little harder they could easily come up with eight different combos, so we get a different one every home game. Put the red shirts on blue pants and visa-versa, and bam, you've got the eight combos. Tradition is so over-rated when you're trying to sell merchandise! :cool:

Vinny
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I think the home team is supposed to inspect the field like a pilot does his pre-flight inspection. Not calling it our fault or anything...not that there is anything wrong with that.

bpe3
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know how we looked on TV, but I saw LOTS and LOTS of empty seats in the stadium. Here's how it looked from 631 at kickoff.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/3077475977_569e41ae59_b.jpg

The problem with Reliant Stadium is that it's a great place to do LOTS of things OTHER than watch a football game.

bpe3

Wolf
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Well the good news is the camera adds about 10 pounds and our offensive line looked bigger than normal..

Bad news is the 10 pounds rule also applied to the Henderson and the rest of the jags DL so it evened out and our Offensive line still looked small
*sigh*:smiliedance:

Brando
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I think the home team is supposed to inspect the field like a pilot does his pre-flight inspection. Not calling it our fault or anything...not that there is anything wrong with that.

That seems about right...Like AJ said he looked for the pylon and thought he was out of bounds....

"I was looking for the orange pylon, but it wasn’t there,” Johnson said. “When I reached out, I thought maybe I had gone out of bounds, but the official said I got it (the ball) in.”

chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6140753.html)

eh, he scored anyway and we won, no harm and no foul.

Wolf
12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I like them also. I also like the all white. I like both better than the white top with blue pants.

Kornhieser did admit that he was in the draft Bush camp and he was wrong about the pick and the Texans made the right choice. So props to Tony for being a man and saying he was wrong.

well we have come a long way,, if I recall in 2002 ..when the guys/gals ran out on the field with the T-E-X-A-N-S flags, someone told me the person running with the X and maybe A flags were mixed up and it spelled T-E-A-X-N-S

I didn't notice it and they might have been messing with me

imatexan
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM

And Stuart Scott? Don't even get me started on that guy. He is definitely now the guy I dislike the most. He chose Jacksonville to start off with, then he bumbles his way through his commentary (post-game)...and, he completely screwed up the part about how we finally stopped them on 4th and 2. No we didn't. They gained THAT first down, you moron. It was 4th and goal that we stopped them on.

Kornhole was belittling us a lot, talking crap about the jerseys and about the odd stat of how there's a tower in Houston that's the tallest building that's not located in a downtown area. He's so smarmy and snarky, but I guess it's a role he plays up. The guy is a stain in the underwear of Howard Cossell as far as I am concerned. If he's trying to be like Howard, he's failing.

Tirico and Jaws were verrry good. They could handle the gig themselves and dump the Grumpy Old Man, IMO.

Seats looked empty a lot, IMO. Joe Texan was featured a lot, which was cool.

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but here goes: I don't know that the super fans that are shown on camera during a game, are really helping us solidify a "look" that people can identify us with. The two guys who wear the Mario brothers outfit are probably the best, followed by Joe Texan, and then there's a pretty steep drop-off after that...the whole mardi-gras look with the beads and crap dangling around the neck is not working for me. Neither is the guy in the flaming red mohawk nect to Joe Texan and neither are the two guys with the paper machete bullhorn hats and overalls...oh crap, I just KNOW that those guys are some of the guys who are on this board! Don't be mad at me, please. I just think our on-camera super fans need some professional handling in terms of their wardrobe and "look."

I think Joe Texan, Super Mario Brothers, and Texans Chick should be the ones that the cameras focus on the most.

My two cents on how we looked last night. I was OK with the battle red jerseys...it's a unique look that we trot out against divisional rivals.

I disagree I think any of fan support like this is great. It is much more creative than dressing up in Mario Brother outfits(even though I do like them too). I think the fans they should focus on which they normally do is preston and joe texan.

Stadium filled up very fast and by pictures from bullpen photos it actually looked pretty crowded. I was dissoppointed where I sit as always with the fans being late to show up. I was yelling at people for the kickoff to stand up and saying they were lame(they were not old people who couldnt stand they were middle aged business men). It did get full for from about 5 min. into the first to about 10 left in the game and was very loud and looked great in red!

Wolf
12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Maybe he could take tips from Paul Stanley .. I think that would get Double Barrels seal of approval

http://www.backstagestore.com/images/photos/kiss_paul2.jpg

Mailman
12-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Not only was that missing pylon not embarrassing, it was damn hilarious.

GP
12-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Not only was that missing pylon not embarrassing, it was damn hilarious.

I was like, "What?!? Uh, where the hell is the pylon?"

I bet AJ was freaked out. Can you imagine? You have played your whole life, reaching that ball over the pylon, and you go to do it and....it's....way....the.....crap....over........ .....there.....somewhere. Did I just score?

BeerTastesLikeVictory
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM

To an extent this could be how the show was mixed (Audio). CBS's audio engineer may add more parabolic mic (those big dish shaped things used to pick up crown and player noise) than the ESPN engineer.

utahmark
12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
they commented more than once about how the crowd must not know this team is 4 and 7. it seems they were impressed by the crowd noise.

mentioned how our defense has been passive all year and we were just starting to be more aggresive.

they also stated how not many teams could look at one position as the reason for so many loses. they thought with better qb play we could of had a good season this year.

GlassHalfFull
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
All I know is my endzone (sometimes known as the dark side) gets credit for the 2 early false starts and at least partial credit for one later in the game. We were loud.

False Start
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
All I know is my endzone (sometimes known as the dark side) gets credit for the 2 early false starts and at least partial credit for one later in the game. We were loud.

Yes it was loud! I would be yelling to the top of my lungs and it seemed like I was whispering there was so much noise. I would stop every once and awhile and just listen it was awesome. :texflag:

Speedy
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
The Texans won!!! That's all I care about.

The Pencil Neck
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
All I know is that we won and my wife and I are hoarse today. To me, it didn't seem quite as loud as it was for last year's game against the Colts but it was damned loud.

HJam72
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
From my TV, the crowd noise seemed playoff-caliber. I got no complaints.

I didn't think the "catch-up" comment was necessary and it kind of irritated me, but I have to agree with it. Throw out the red pants. The white ones are fine. I don't even like red pants with white jerseys, like the Redskins, but that's probably just me.

There's too many people in the stands wearing steel-blue on Battle Red Day, but that wasn't commented on. I'd rather people wear cheap, red t-shirts on Battle Red Day than steel-blue, autographed whoever jerseys. Wear red. It's Battle RED Day. Duh.

SheTexan
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
They gave away red shirts also. Some of the off color was due to fans wearing jackets. Not every MAN can be forced to wear a red jacket!:)

I just got finished watching the game, and I was impressed with the entire production. Fans were great, looked good, and were pretty loud. Reliant looked like the grand stadium it is, and the announcers were fair. Our team appeared excited, ready to romp, and looked great in their red uni's. I don't know what the Nation thinks about Houston, but, I think we represented our team and city very well. IMHO it takes the entire stadium to produce enough noise to create a false start. The place got LOUD at times, but, nothing like in the past. If we pull off a win against GB next week, look for the place to roar when we play the Titans. It's time we take back OUR HOUSE!!!

HoustonFrog
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Sorry guys. My crowd comment was just what was coming through my screen. There were times at the beginning of the game where it seemed Laker crowd like. But that was just how it was braodcast to me compared to like the Cowboys games and other ones.

Showtime100
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Quotes on MNF from awfulannouncing.com (http://www.awfulannouncing.com/).....

"What has happened to the Jacksonville?” - The Mike Tirico in the pregame the introductions on the Monday Night Countdown

“Sage Rosenfels is the kind of guy who’s gonna be a late bloomer.” - Steve Young on the 30-year old Quarterback

“I’d like to take Pittsburgh, but since they aren’t playing, I’ll take Houston.” - Mike Ditka

"The roof is open because of the storm.” - Mike Tirico

“Houston’s QBs have combined to throw 17 interceptions in just 11 games. GACK!” - Tony Kornheiser

“Let me just say that these uniforms make the Texans look like Ketchup bottles.” - Tony Kornheiser

“Del Rio’s got a hot leather jacket on.” - Tony Kornheiser

“18 interceptions in 12 games, on pace for 600.” - Tony Kornheiser
“Who does your math?” - Ron Jaworski

"I love it when receivers catch the balls with their hands." - Ron Jaworski

"Mine was longer." - Ron Jaworski

"He could have gone for 30 yards there." - Tony Kornheiser on Sage Rosenfels not keeping the ball and instead throwing into traffic
"Really Tony? 30???"- Ron Jaworski
"Okay, 15."- Tony Kornheiser

“[David Garrard] has better hands than Jerry Porter.” - Ron Jaworski after the QB caught one of his deflected passes

Mike Tirico: “That’s the tallest building in the world not in a downtown area.”
Tony Kornheiser: “I didn’t know they kept stats on that.”

"Did you just hear that? Jacques Reeves runner-up in the Big Ten 200 meters? How did he know that?” - Tony Kornheiser on Mike Tirico

"Remember when the astronauts were brought into the Astrodome for a great barbeque" - Tony Kornheiser making no sense

"Always a good clue when you see a quarterback's arm go forward and forward and the hand empty, it's an incomplete pass." - Mike Tirico

"Talk about hitting the pillow and not having any regrets." - Mike Tirico

"Slaton untouched by a human hand." - Mike Tirico