PDA

View Full Version : Slaton @ Halftime - "I wanted to run the ball,"

Vinny
12-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Good thing he approached Kubiak I guess. I was wasn't happy early in the game when we ran the ball well, then we started chunking the ball and Sage almost throws a pick...then we put out our version of the Wildcat offense. I call it the Wildcrap offense where you put in a WR instead of a running back and watch him run around like a chicken with his head cut off on National TV. Slaton gets up to full speed faster than any back I've seen here. He may not be the fastest player on the field but he is running at top speed in a matter of a few steps.

"I didn't run the ball enough in the first half," Kubiak said. "We got out of whack a little, I did, play-call wise. The rookie came up to me at halftime. Here's a rookie, grabs me by the shirt and says, 'I'm OK, give me the ball.' Watching him get stronger at the end of the game was very impressive." http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4943

HOUSTON -- Steve Slaton wanted the ball more.

So the rookie marched up to Houston coach Gary Kubiak at halftime, grabbed him by the shirt and told him so. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281201034

Carr Bombed
12-02-2008, 12:32 AM
So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference? My geuss is Mr. Steve got tired of the media BJ given to Chris Johnson even when he had had better stats most of the year. Steve Slaton is legit.....just need to find that "bash" (to quote a Titan) player.

bah007
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference?

I thought we had all agreed on that two weeks ago?

TexansSeminole
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
It was a nice try I thought. It's not like we wasted a bunch of plays on offense to see if it would work. Just one of those things where you try to catch the defense sleeping. Didn't work.

Good players know how to communicate with the coach, and good coaches know how to respond. I thought we coached one of our best games of the season today.

The MNF viewers should be impressed with the Texans tonight.

mexican_texan
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
If we run the Wildcat, we should at least put OD back there.

Scooter
12-02-2008, 01:43 AM
drunk post. :)

Vinny
12-02-2008, 01:43 AM
short post game Slaton interview on espn
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3738369&categoryId=2378529

Slaton highlights from the .com
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4943

Carr Bombed
12-02-2008, 01:50 AM
short post game Slaton interview on espn
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3738369&categoryId=2378529

Like I said......he kinda gives the big F. U. to Chris Johnson, Slaton aint scared. LOL.

Scooter
12-02-2008, 02:01 AM

follow vonta friggin leach! even on the smash screen release or both going untouched to the endzone vonta's the spear head. likewise great blocking schemes by gibbs and kubiak. the first run is my favorite though because it showcases leach, scheme, and slaton is "slippery" is the best term - he's got incredible balance.

buddyboy
12-02-2008, 02:56 AM
So much for Mr. "dead legs" huh........can we all agree now that Kubiak was just blowing crap out of his behind during that press conference? My geuss is Mr. Steve got tired of the media BJ given to Chris Johnson even when he had had better stats most of the year. Steve Slaton is legit.....just need to find that "bash" (to quote a Titan) player.

I thought that Slaton had some bruised ribs or something a couple weeks back...I really don't see all the hate people are throwing at Kubiak. Kubiak thought Slaton needed a little time off, so he didn't play him heavily one game, then, the next two games Slaton plays exceptionally well. Can we at least attribute SOME credit to Slaton's good play to a little rest during the season? I mean, especially now where we have no legit backup, Slaton is going to be getting a lot of play calls his way, and I'd rather have a rested Slaton than one who might be running out of gas.

Malloy
12-02-2008, 03:18 AM
follow vonta friggin leach! even on the smash screen release or both going untouched to the endzone vonta's the spear head. likewise great blocking schemes by gibbs and kubiak. the first run is my favorite though because it showcases leach, scheme, and slaton is "slippery" is the best term - he's got incredible balance.

Leach is the man! :)

Vinny
12-02-2008, 09:32 AM
I thought that Slaton had some bruised ribs or something a couple weeks back...I really don't see all the hate people are throwing at Kubiak. Kubiak thought Slaton needed a little time off, so he didn't play him heavily one game, then, the next two games Slaton plays exceptionally well. Can we at least attribute SOME credit to Slaton's good play to a little rest during the season? I mean, especially now where we have no legit backup, Slaton is going to be getting a lot of play calls his way, and I'd rather have a rested Slaton than one who might be running out of gas.
I'm not gonna give Kubiak "credit" for Slaton being good because he stated he "rested" Slaton for the Colt game. The season was on the line when Kubiak stated he "rested" Slaton vs the Ratbirds...it's been a different season since we lost the Ratbird game and consequently lost all hope for the playoffs in that game. "A little rest during the season" during such a pivotal game was weak coachspeak in my eyes. A great move for a team that has a losing mentality. He had to go in and grab the coach by the shirt Monday night....give him the damn ball. What did we save him for anyway? Garbage time?

mexican_texan
12-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not gonna give Kubiak "credit" for Slaton being good because he stated he "rested" Slaton for the Colt game. The season was on the line when Kubiak stated he "rested" Slaton vs the Ratbirds...it's been a different season since we lost the Ratbird game and consequently lost all hope for the playoffs in that game. "A little rest during the season" during such a pivotal game was weak coachspeak in my eyes. A great move for a team that has a losing mentality. He had to go in and grab the coach by the shirt Monday night....give him the damn ball. What did we save him for anyway? Garbage time?
He's been injured and I don't think they ever said when exactly Slaton got the chest bruise

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Good thing he approached Kubiak I guess. I was wasn't happy early in the game when we ran the ball well, then we started chunking the ball and Sage almost throws a pick...then we put out our version of the Wildcat offense. I call it the Wildcrap offense where you put in a WR instead of a running back and watch him run around like a chicken with his head cut off on National TV. Slaton gets up to full speed faster than any back I've seen here. He may not be the fastest player on the field but he is running at top speed in a matter of a few steps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=281201034

So maybe our defense got better because Dunta or Mario walked up to Kubiak and told him we need to blitz more.

I was seeing and thinking the same thing when we suddenly just stopped trying to run on these guys after doing it fairly well for a quarter. It's like we got up by 10 and then suddenly Kubiak and Shanahan decided to start trying to get cute on national television. I was screaming at my TV and pulling my hair out watching them pull that junk out.

I think that this story could be cause for concern. Kubiak shouldn't need to have players come up to him and tell him what he's doing wrong in order to get the gameplan back on track. I hope this is nothing more than an amusing anecdote and not indicative of what's really driving our attack.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
He's been injured and I don't think they ever said when exactly Slaton got the chest bruiseHe had a 70 yard run called back in that same game.....I still call BS since all the players are hurt this time of year.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM
So maybe our defense got better because Dunta or Mario walked up to Kubiak and told him we need to blitz more.

I was seeing and thinking the same thing when we suddenly just stopped trying to run on these guys after doing it fairly well for a quarter. It's like we got up by 10 and then suddenly Kubiak and Shanahan decided to start trying to get cute on national television. I was screaming at my TV and pulling my hair out watching them pull that junk out.

I think that this story could be cause for concern. Kubiak shouldn't need to have players come up to him and tell him what he's doing wrong in order to get the gameplan back on track. I hope this is nothing more than an amusing anecdote and not indicative of what's really driving our attack.

It's not gonna shock you but Kubiak said....
"I didn't run the ball enough in the first half," Kubiak said. Where have we heard that before?

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't want to take anything away from Slaton, but he was completely untouched on his TD runs. There were holes large enough to drive my Chevy through without hitting the mirrors. Congrats to the Oline are in order as well if you ask me.

That said, I'm happy we finally have a RB with great speed and vision. I still want another RB to pair with him though.

:texflag:

Vinny
12-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't want to take anything away from Slaton, but he was completely untouched on his TD runs. There were holes large enough to drive my Chevy through without hitting the mirrors. Congrats to the Oline are in order as well if you ask me.

That said, I'm happy we finally have a RB with great speed and vision. I still want another RB to pair with him though.

:texflag: Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise...just takes a couple of steps and bam, hes running full speed...don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
He had a 70 yard run called back in that same game.....I still call BS since all the players are hurt this time of year.

True. If you can't be effective when you're dinged up you're damn near useless to an NFL team because everybody is going to play at least 6-8 games a year "dinged up" in the best of seasons.

I can't help but think that Slaton was fine and that Kubiak is overthinking this stuff a lot of the time and/or just throwing some bull out there to answer the questions which makes him look foolish once it's quoted and people get a chance to mull it over.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise....don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.

I agree, Vinny. It's speed we've never seen in the back field.

Please don't get me started on Dayne. He would've missed the holes anyways.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Ron Dayne would be a beast in this offense............ :whistle:

powerfuldragon
don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.
Ron Dayne gets that kindof yardage with those holes. and by that i mean, someone has a box of donut holes in the opponent's endzone.

beerlover
Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise...just takes a couple of steps and bam, hes running full speed...don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.

another thing I noticed last night was once in the hole, between tackles, he shades the lineman which creates illusion that he sort of disappears, by the time they can pick him back up its 5-10 yards latter in the 2nd level. great acceleration & does not fumble the ball, carries it high & tight.

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Slaton gets to full speed faster than any back I've seen here at this franchise...just takes a couple of steps and bam, hes running full speed...don't even try to tell me Ron Dayne gets that kind of yardage with those holes.

Never happen. Dayne couldn't get rolling fast enough to break those off. Ok, maybe the 7 yarder but never the 40 yard TD. Not gonna happen.

We need a big guy though to play the Ahman Green part next season. We're going to have to have somebody who can pound the rock down by the goal line and move some guys on his own. Those lighter athletic linemen aren't going to win too many of those and Slaton can't make his own holes. Not when it's that congested around the goal line.

GP
12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Never happen. Dayne couldn't get rolling fast enough to break those off. Ok, maybe the 7 yarder but never the 40 yard TD. Not gonna happen.

We need a big guy though to play the Ahman Green part next season. We're going to have to have somebody who can pound the rock down by the goal line and move some guys on his own. Those lighter athletic linemen aren't going to win too many of those and Slaton can't make his own holes. Not when it's that congested around the goal line.

That's something I mentioned in another thread also.

Slaton needs a Brandon Jacobs-type of partner to extend his career, and to help this team when the 2 or 3-yard runs are needed for a TD or a crucial first down.

Knowing Kubiak's style of drafting RBs, such a RB won't be taken before Round 3.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Ron Dayne would be a beast in this offense............ :whistle:

:dontknowa..................:stirpot:

beerlover
12-02-2008, 10:04 AM

GK/RS need to be decisive & cut Ahman loose :whip: the Texans should be in play for the next Michael Turner type services & draft another RB. not sure about next years free agent crop but you can't go into another season with Ahman Green, Chris Brown & Chris Taylor ahead of a rookie named Slaton.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
True. If you can't be effective when you're dinged up you're damn near useless to an NFL team because everybody is going to play at least 6-8 games a year "dinged up" in the best of seasons.

I can't help but think that Slaton was fine and that Kubiak is overthinking this stuff a lot of the time and/or just throwing some bull out there to answer the questions which makes him look foolish once it's quoted and people get a chance to mull it over.
I was just angry because that Ratbird game took us out of the playoff hunt. I thought it was more weak leadership on a soft team. Hell it doesn't make me feel much better when Kubiak says that Slaton had to grab his shirt to tell him to run the ball more....dude needs to start taking his own advice more often.

Outside of this nitpick I'm happy...not wanting to sound like we won the game but I can't be happy. I will say that playing great during a garbage time game doesn't make me feel all that happy. I'd rather something be on the line, but you can't play for anything when you bow out of the race so early every season.

Runner
12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
It's not gonna shock you but Kubiak said....
Where have we heard that before?
Kubiak said they got away from the running game during his interview right after halftime too. It must have been after Slaton talked to him. :)

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 10:37 AM
...Where have we heard that before?

I swear it's like he's not even in control of his own body and someone else has possession of him and is making him call nothing but pass plays. He's got this thing going where he spends most of every weeks press conference talking about how it's all on him and the buck stops here and all that other crap and then he almost weekly goes out and repeats the same stuff he said he didn't do right the week before.

It's scary sometimes. I'm thinking multiple personality disorder or something.

GP
12-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Good head coaches don't do the stuff that Kubiak does.

1. He has his hands all over the playcalling, sometimes causing the play to be delayed and we're rushing to get it snapped/call a timeout/etc.

2. He can't watch a game-deciding play.

3. He repeats the same mistakes every week, and yet is puzzled why the players do the same.

4. He hired Richard Smith, and has kept him THIS long. Kubiak, here's a pattern for you: Richard Smith is non-aggressive the first half of EVERY season and then in the last half of the year he decides to let the defense off the chain. Every freaking year it happens this way.

5. And now it appears that he needs a rookie running back to remind him that we can run the ball and move the chains. Doy! Sliding down in the 2008 draft to grab Duane Brown was a great move because it also nabbed Steve Slaton who is seemingly also splitting time as head coach around here.

It's amazing that we've even won 5 games. It really is.

Carr Bombed
12-02-2008, 11:06 AM

If you pull up my post history, before the season even started I said the same thing. I think I said "Chris Johnson may be faster, but Slaton is the quicker RB".........his first step is one of the fastest first steps in the league. All you have to do is watch his college highlights to see that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5I2HVWlkk&fmt=18

Chris Johnson has a extra gear no doubt (kid is fast as hell).......but even he can't "F" with Slaton's granny gear, Slaton is faster and quicker out of the blocks and I'd like to see those two players timed in a 20 yard dash.

DD was also quick as hell, too many people get wrapped up in 40 times.....football isn't played 40 yards down the field, it's played at the line of scrimmage and the players that can explode out of the box and off the line are the players that excel at this level (Slaton) the ones that don't, struggle (Bush, who also ran a fast 40)

BigBull17
12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
If we run the Wildcat, we should at least put OD back there.

Its not the Wildcat, we'll call it the Mad Cow. If it starts to work, Raging Bull. OD or Kevin Walter should be the guys back there.

bigbrewster2000
12-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Its not the Wildcat, we'll call it the Mad Cow. If it starts to work, Raging Bull. OD or Kevin Walter should be the guys back there.
LOL. Rep to you sir.

Jackie Chiles
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
That's something I mentioned in another thread also.

Slaton needs a Brandon Jacobs-type of partner to extend his career, and to help this team when the 2 or 3-yard runs are needed for a TD or a crucial first down.

Knowing Kubiak's style of drafting RBs, such a RB won't be taken before Round 3.

A Jacobs type back would be absolutely ideal but we won't get someone as talented, just the same body type. We just don't run the ball enough to get someone that talented and then have them split carries. Kubiak is using the run just enough to stay balanced. We have been a very efficient running team this year and I wish we would run more but there have been opportunities, including last night, where we just haven't run the ball enough. I don't know if this will change. I think what we will see is a big bruiser taken in the 4th or 5th round that pretty much would do what Ahman did this year minus the injury part.

mexican_texan
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Anyone notices Slaton hops, or starts his cut as soon as he gets the ball?

Vinny
12-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Its not the Wildcat, we'll call it the Mad Cow. If it starts to work, Raging Bull. OD or Kevin Walter should be the guys back there.looked like a Chinese fire drill to me but you win with Mad Cow formation...fits like a glove.

GlassHalfFull
12-02-2008, 01:15 PM

LOL. Perfect.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
That play looked more like Fried Steak.... It was FUGLY.

BigBull17
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
That play looked more like Fried Steak.... It was FUGLY.

I will say, at least we tried something new. I like that. Our O went a little stagnent, and we werent going to throw the ball with Sage, so we tried our Mad Cow. I have no problem with the attempt, or trying to get Jacoby into the offense.

Texans_Chick
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
FWIW, I heard a Eric Winston interview on NFL Sirius Radio.

He talked about the bruised ribs that Slaton had after the Vikings game. He described the injury as ugly, and talked about how tough Slaton is.

dtran04
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
FWIW, I heard a Eric Winston interview on NFL Sirius Radio.

He talked about the bruised ribs that Slaton had after the Vikings game. He described the injury as ugly, and talked about how tough Slaton is.

So you're saying maybe Kubiak knows what he is doing in giving Slaton time off? Heh.

Norg
12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
i like kubes decesion IMO dont kill slaton 100% this season save him for next

season this ones already off in terms of playoffs

and we only got one running back slaton and thats it

and why not pass when we got more passing weapons then running

Andre
Walter
OD
Anderson
Dressen

and prob a few others

TexansSeminole
12-02-2008, 11:02 PM

I think the point is that the season wasn't over at that point, and if you do consider it over at that point it's shows a loser mentality.

You fight to the finish with what you have IMO.

Norg
12-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the point is that the season wasn't over at that point, and if you do consider it over at that point it's shows a loser mentality.

You fight to the finish with what you have IMO.

at what point during the MNF yeh the season was over at the CLE game w or Loss the season was over maybe if we beat Indy a month ago we might have had a shot

yes u play to win

but u got to play the other factors in the game smart has well

ex like playing a video game online if one person knows a trick or glitch then it would be best if u knew it 2 just n case the other person uses on u

BigBull17
12-04-2008, 11:18 AM

season this ones already off in terms of playoffs

and we only got one running back slaton and thats it

and why not pass when we got more passing weapons then running

Andre
Walter
OD
Anderson
Dressen

and prob a few others

Cause Sage is all over the place. Thats why we have had to run more than pass.

El Tejano
12-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Was Green available against the Ravens?

Hervoyel
12-04-2008, 12:02 PM

I've been under the impression since Kubiak arrived that we would be doing more running than passing and that with the emergence of Slaton we're finally starting to become the team that Kubiak has been telling us he's trying to build. Now since we have no other backs to take the load off of him I can understand a little bit of caution. I think eventually however we'll be seeing the Texans run more than they pass on a regular basis.

Vinny
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
when have we been running more than passing?

The Pencil Neck
12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Was Green available against the Ravens?

Yes, he played but I think it was Moats that got the majority of the carries in that game.