PDA

View Full Version : So we're 5-7 now

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Sunday we go to Green Bay to play the 5-7 Packers at their house where they are 3-3 this season. They've lost 4 of their last 5 games. In short they're fading and this Sunday at Lambeau looks tough but not nearly as impossible as it did a few weeks ago.

IF we manage to slip out of Green Bay with a win we'll be sitting at 6-7 and coming home to play the most important game of the season (at this point). We'll be playing the Titans at our house to pull even at 7-7 on the year.

I'm getting interested again despite everything. This is when you know you have a "problem".

Basically every game until the end of the season is the next "most important game of the season".

If we can slip by GB it's home to play Tennessee.
If we can manage to beat Tennessee then it's back out on the road to try and keep dominating the Raiders.
If we don't get cocky and lose to the Raiders (a very real possibility if we roll two more weeks and go there with a 3 game winning streak under our belts) then we come home not just to try and finish the season on an up note or be "not losers".
If we can beat the Packers, Teets, and Raiders then we're playing for a 9-7 season against the Bears. That would in my opinion salvage the 2008 season. It wouldn't turn it into roses but at least it would no longer smell quite so much like manure.

Wolf
12-02-2008, 12:17 AM
true Herv
unfortunately I wonder if it will save RS job if they start doing better

powerfuldragon
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
true Herv
unfortunately I wonder if it will save RS job if they start doing better

i hope not?

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:20 AM
The defense didn't exactly play well tonight. I mean, stats aren't everything but they gave up 388 net yards to an average at best offense... and it wasn't SUCH a blowout that they came in garbage time.

Maddict5
12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
i think we'll be around .500 again but at least we're finally seeing progress defense-wise and some young guys maturing. pity it came a little too late to save this season

TexanSam
12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Even at 9-7, in my mind the Texans would not have accomplished much. It would be too little, too late. For a team that had playoff aspiration coming into this season, they failed miserably when they had a chance to actually be a factor in the playoff race.

Norg
12-02-2008, 12:22 AM
GB still has a chance at the playoffs so this hou vs GB game will be do or die for them its not going to be easy

anywayz to me tho playing GB in the snow hopefully is always a special game 2 me IMO

Maddict5
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
The defense didn't exactly play well tonight. I mean, stats aren't everything but they gave up 388 net yards to an average at best offense... and it wasn't SUCH a blowout that they came in garbage time.

umm yes it was.. they got alot of that when we started rushing 3 and sitting back. they scored 3 pts and struggled to move the ball when we played our 'new' type defence

tbh, IF the D continues to play like this, i dont see the big problem in keeping richard smith. he'll have learned from his mistakes and thats what coaching is about (even if it was slower than it should've been)

GuerillaBlack
12-02-2008, 12:24 AM

We were up by 20 with less than five minutes left. Garbage time? I think so...

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:26 AM
You're giving the D waaay too much credit. I know they're playing better now, but they played better in the second half last year too.

Let's not all start falling in love with Richard Smith, here. Sure, he has a right to improve and change things just like the players, but let's see how they do against tougher teams like GB and Tennessee.

TexanSam
Early forecast calls for partly cloudy skies and a high of 22 degrees.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWI0288?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Wolf
problem I see is that a RS defense seems to do better toward the end of the season .. well we need it a defense that does well at the beginning of the season too

just a mirage I guess.

Wolf
12-02-2008, 12:27 AM
You're giving the D waaay too much credit. I know they're playing better now, but they played better in the second half last year too.

Let's not all start falling in love with Richard Smith, here. Sure, he has a right to improve and change things just like the players, but let's see how they do against tougher teams like GB and Tennessee.

exactly

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I think the last TD was garbage time, but not the one before.

Anyway - it shouldn't matter. There's no reason to give up that much yardage to the Jags.

Great win tonight, though... and it could have been an even bigger win if Schaub was in there. Kubes had the boys ready to play.

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM

Did you watch the game?
We were up 23 - 3 with less than 5 minutes remaining. We went into prevent defense

THEN the Jags gained 73 yards and a TD
we scored again
THEN the Jags gained another 63 yards and a TD

So we gave up a total of 250 yards offense and 3 points in actual game time.

We gave up 136 yards and 2 TDs in prevent mode in the last 5 minutes.

Thats domination by the defense

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 12:29 AM

I don't totally agree with you on that. Based on the time left on the clock I'd chalk every yard they got once the lead hit 20 points to being pure garbage time. That's the last 5 minutes of the game roughly and the Jags chalked up 136 yards and two TD's against our wimpy ass prevent defense.

In my book we truly gave up around 250 yards tonight and basically 3 points. Sure the Jags shot themselves in the foot on a regular basis but nobody makes allowances for that when the Texans do it so I give our defense the benefit of the doubt tonight. I sure hope we play like this the rest of the way out and I hope that doesn't affect the Texans decision where Richard Smith is concerned. Even if he does suddenly now "get it" I still think that going this long playing defense the way the Texans have is ignorant enough an example to fire a coordinator.

Blu
12-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Nice Blitz'n :pirate: it works!

Maddict5
12-02-2008, 12:30 AM

and you're being hypercritical. last yr we 'simplified' things on D because of the injuries and got some decent results eventhough much of it was down to lucky ints etc

this yr we're just being aggressive so there is a difference. im starting to get confidence in our D that they can stop teams when it matters

but i agree, we're not going to crown them after 2 good games. however if the performances and results continue like these we have to be happy with that

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Did you watch the game?
We were up 23 - 3 with less than 5 minutes remaining. We went into prevent defense

THEN the Jags gained 73 yards and a TD
we scored again
THEN the Jags gained another 63 yards and a TD

So we gave up a total of 250 yards offense and 3 points in actual game time.

We gave up 136 yards and 2 TDs in prevent mode in the last 5 minutes.

Thats domination by the defense

Sorry, in the NFL to me a 20 point lead with 5 minutes left isn't garbage time. 2 minutes and a 20 point lead? Garbage time.

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 12:33 AM
The Jags first TD came with 2 minutes 11 seconds left.

Whether or not you want to admit it as garbage time is irrelevant. The Texans were in a prevent defense. That signifies a complete shift in style, and the stats are no longer nearly as valid

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
and you're being hypercritical. last yr we 'simplified' things on D because of the injuries and got some decent results eventhough much of it was down to lucky ints etc

this yr we're just being aggressive so there is a difference. im starting to get confidence in our D that they can stop teams when it matters

but i agree, we're not going to crown them after 2 good games. however if the performances and results continue like these we have to be happy with that

I'm always hypercritical, but I'm never unfair. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

But you're right - if this continues against GB and TEN, I'll be happy. We need to do some more of this on the road. So far, we've done it ONCE on the road - against two horrible Cleveland QBs. I don't think that's something to stand up and shout about.

Jackie Chiles
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Would have been nice to see the coaches man up and play the defense we had been playing the entire game to finish em off. Prevent for the loss.

Maddict5
12-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry, in the NFL to me a 20 point lead with 5 minutes left isn't garbage time. 2 minutes and a 20 point lead? Garbage time.

well i think you'll be pretty much on your own on that.. in that situation if you play prevent and make them take about 2 mins off the clock to score you'll need alot of luck to win.. like onside kicks, rosencopters etc.

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
The Jags first TD came with 2 minutes 11 seconds left.

Whether or not you want to admit it as garbage time is irrelevant. The Texans were in a prevent defense. That signifies a complete shift in style, and the stats are no longer nearly as valid

So what are you saying? Our defense is great because we shut down Cleveland and Jacksonville?

That's one road game against a horrible team, and one home game on MNF against a mediocre offense. I'm as happy as anyone else that we won, but they need to do it with consistency (especially on the road) before I start the Richard Smith Fan Club.

Wolf
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
And Jacksonville still doesn't have a pass play over 20 yards(tonight thanks to a penalty of facemasking on the TE)

If RS did something right, He knew that Jacksonville stinks at throwing deep and with a shortened field, I am glad our defense stood it's ground

Wolf
12-02-2008, 12:38 AM
well i think you'll be pretty much on your own on that.. in that situation if you play prevent and make them take about 2 mins off the clock to score you'll need alot of luck to win.. like onside kicks, rosencopters etc.

that was one of the funniest things I have ever seen, Jacksonville's onside kicks that basically didn't fool anyone.

two kickers one ball

imatexan
12-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Our D owned on MNF! Give them some credit my goodness!

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:40 AM
that was one of the funniest things I have ever seen, Jacksonville's onside kicks that basically didn't fool anyone.

two kickers one ball

Yeah, that was a dumb decision... and also I have no idea why they went for that TD on 4th down. They were only down what, 13 points at the time, plus they were starting to move the ball on offense.

We finally got a fourth down stop.

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Our D owned on MNF! Give them some credit my goodness!

I do give them credit! I'm just saying that now we need to put it together consistently! They were good tonight, and the secondary was pretty impressive.

Jackie Chiles
12-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that was a dumb decision... and also I have no idea why they went for that TD on 4th down. They were only down what, 13 points at the time, plus they were starting to move the ball on offense.

We finally got a fourth down stop.

On the fourth down before we finally got the stop there easily could have been some offensive PI called on Matt Jones imo for pushing off Reeves. Thank goodness we finally got a stop though, even if Garrard fell.

Runner
12-02-2008, 12:46 AM
These two wins came against better teams than the three game streak earlier this year. The Browns and Jaguars were "pre-season contenders" that have failed for their own reasons, but they both have some quality parts.

I still think 8-8 will be tough to reach, but the six wins I've been estimating will be easily reached and almost as easily passed. I think it will be a six or seven win season.

As a previous poster said though, too little too late. A late season run to average will certainly fuel the playoff projections for next year though. :)

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:46 AM
On the fourth down before we finally got the stop there easily could have been some offensive PI called on Matt Jones imo for pushing off Reeves. Thank goodness we finally got a stop though, even if Garrard fell.

Pretty impressive that he even got that pass off. Adibi was on him like Ron Dayne on a buffet.

Jackie Chiles
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Speaking of 4th down stops I know its a turnover but does that count towards the official TO count at the end of the game? If so we would have been up 4-1 in that department today, slowly working our way from the bottom of the basement in the differential.

DiehardChris
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
These two wins came against better teams than the three game streak earlier this year. The Browns and Jaguars were "pre-season contenders" that haved failed for their own reasons, but they both have some quality parts.

I still think 8-8 will be tough to reach, but the six wins I've been projecting will be easily reached and almost as easily passed. I think it will be a six or seven win season.

As a previous poster said though, too little too late. A late season run to average will certainly fuel the playoff projections for next year though. :)

Man, if we can just somehow steal one in GB.

They're definitely beatable... especially if the weather is bad. I mean really - if it turns into a ground game, I'll take Slaton and our line vs. Grant and their line.

GNTLEWOLF
12-02-2008, 02:08 AM

That is what I'm afraid of....that people will get happy about a defense that doesn't perform until it is too late to make the play-offs. I wonder....if the performance and results continue, do we also keep Richard Smith as DC next year and give him one more chance? I mean, let's suppose this team wins out and we go 9-7. WOW! that would be an improvement over last year! That would mean that R Smith and his defense showed progress. That might mean Mcnair, Rick Smith, and Kubiak re-think their disappointment over this season, and give them the talking points so they don't have to make any changes. I want the Texans to win out....but I want a team that doesn't wait until it is eliminated before it starts playing like it cares!

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Basically I see what you're saying BUT I have to point out that what you think is garbage time (and what I think is garbage time too for that matter) is meaningless. The Texans defense clearly changed into a prevent piece of garbage at that point and so they demonstrated that they considered the contest over with a 20 point lead and 5 minutes (give or take) to go.

It's kind of unsettling IMO because we've seen teams come back on us in less time so obviously I see what you're saying. I think it was a little early to do that and it gave me the creeps seeing Jacksonville start walking right through us with that much time left but it worked out. You can do that if your offense can sustain drives as well and ours did last night.

euro-Texan
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
So what are you saying? Our defense is great because we shut down Cleveland and Jacksonville?

That's one road game against a horrible team, and one home game on MNF against a mediocre offense. I'm as happy as anyone else that we won, but they need to do it with consistency (especially on the road) before I start the Richard Smith Fan Club.

I wouldn't call them great yet, but thay have been playing with some inspiration lately and how many times have you seen other teams (namely the colts) bolster their highlights on lowly teams like the 2005 Texans.

The D played damn good tonight and last week. Maybe this is a sign of things to come

nunusguy
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
After the huge success of last night and the emotional letdown which is sure
to follow, plus a short week, plus a roadgame "AT" Green Bay in who knows what kind of weather, anybody who thinks the Texans have a shot at winning Sunday is just flat dreaming. My hope is that they just show up and
just produce a real effort.

cowbellm00
12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Basically I see what you're saying BUT I have to point out that what you think is garbage time (and what I think is garbage time too for that matter) is meaningless. The Texans defense clearly changed into a prevent piece of garbage at that point and so they demonstrated that they considered the contest over with a 20 point lead and 5 minutes (give or take) to go.

It's kind of unsettling IMO because we've seen teams come back on us in less time so obviously I see what you're saying. I think it was a little early to do that and it gave me the creeps seeing Jacksonville start walking right through us with that much time left but it worked out. You can do that if your offense can sustain drives as well and ours did last night.

and that is exactily what RS had been countin on all season IMO, but the turnover, particularlly the INTs is what killed RS's scheme. For the most part, all good teams should be able to eat some clock on long drives to rest the D, but points not INTs wins games. It all falls back on the turnover battle. I give Rosencopter 2 thumbs up for only throwing 1 INT last night, though he tried to do worse, he didn't. Ataboy Sage :)

:fans:

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 10:19 AM
After the huge success of last night and the emotional letdown which is sure
to follow, plus a short week, plus a roadgame "AT" Green Bay in who knows what kind of weather, anybody who thinks the Texans have a shot at winning Sunday is just flat dreaming. My hope is that they just show up and
just produce a real effort.

We win........... Period.

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Kool-Aid.jpg

The1ApplePie
12-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Anyone else think the Jags were in "lose for draft picks" mode last night? We had some Jags fans by us chanting "Michael Crabtree"

HJam72
12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I would have to give Smith some real credit if he hadn't resorted to the prevent-our-team-from-winning defense at the end of the game, but he did. If he'd've stuck with something like a 4-2-5 D, and rushed 5 sometimes, their offense wouldn't have started looking good.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Anyone else think the Jags were in "lose for draft picks" mode last night? We had some Jags fans by us chanting "Michael Crabtree"

I wouldn't go that far, but after MW's sack/FF and Slaton's quick TD they were done.

Porky
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Oh come on now. Nobody had been harder on this D then me, but let's give some credit where credit is due, and let's not put on blinders because we have an agenda shall we?

The evidence is quite clear and convincing. The last two games the D has turned it up several notches on the aggressiveness scale. We also have Dunta back in, and Adibi is a clear upgrade over Greenwood.

Last night, the D only gave up 3 points when it mattered. Even if they had hit the chip shot FG that's still only 6 points. They also forced 3 turnovers.

In the last two games (sans garbage time) that's 8 turnovers, and 12 points by my cacluclations. 8 turnovers in 2 games - 9 the whole rest of the year. 6 points a game vs about 27 on average. Nah, no difference here. Nothing to see, move along.

Sure, neither team has a great offense, but let's look at some facts. This is the same Jax team that hung about 30 on us in Jax. The same team that we couldn't stop at all in the 2nd half of that game. The same D that allowed Garrard to run wild on us and score at will in the 2nd half. The same D that couldn't stop the Jags on 4th down to save their soul.

So, yes Jax and Cleveland isn't great, but we are comparing apples to apples here, and if you can't see a difference, you need an examination by a competent physician.

The real question I have is which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did Smith/Kubes suddenly feel that with an upgrade in talent they can now be more aggessive, or is the aggressivness bringing out the best in the talent that they have? I feel it's more the latter then the former. The question is why now, and who is spearheading this more agressive D? Is it Kubes forcing this upon RS? Is it RS himself? Is it another person ala Rick Smith or Bob McNair? Has Kubes usurped Smith's authority behind the scenes and maybe another coach is really calling the shots? Don't really know, but I would like to be a fly on the wall because this has been a deriliction of coaching up until now, and someone's head should roll - likely Smith.

If this D had been our D all year, we would have at least 7-8 wins imo - and that's even with the QB's playing giveaway all year. :gun:

Vinny
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
They had the same quit in their eyes that the Ohio teams had.

GP
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I am afraid we're going to win the rest of our games, or at least almost all of them. Be disgusted with me if you think I'm wrong for feeling this way, but I don't see the point in winning a bunch of games and somehow seeing Richard Smith pull his butt out of the fire because of it.

The guy has historically played soft schemes the first half of the year, and then let's them off the chains at the end of each of his three seasons here.

It's as if he thinks there is a league rule that bans aggressive defense for the first 8 games of the year.

I. Just. Don't. Understand. Him.

The whole team looks better when the defense is off the chains. And then we allow 30+ points when we play footsie with the opposing team's offense.

I think we come close to winning the remainder of games this year, which masks problems that are still there and will only come up again next year.

TheRealJoker
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Hope we can run the table the rest of this season, fire Richard Smith, and make the personnel upgrades everyone has already gone over 100x over in the offseason. If we do we'll be poised for playoffs in 09 when we get the creampuff NFC West along with an aging Jags/Colts in the division.

Porky
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Hope we can run the table the rest of this season, fire Richard Smith, and make the personnel upgrades everyone has already gone over 100x over in the offseason. If we do we'll be poised for playoffs in 09 when we get the creampuff NFC West along with an aging Jags/Colts in the division.

Bingo. I don't think the majority of the fan base will be fooled by a streak to end the year, and if we aren't do you think Bob McNair and Rick Smith will be? If they are, shame on them, but I would never ever root against the team to win so that a coach might be fired. If you guys want to, have at it.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Hope we can run the table the rest of this season, fire Richard Smith, and make the personnel upgrades everyone has already gone over 100x over in the offseason. If we do we'll be poised for playoffs in 09 when we get the creampuff NFC West along with an aging Jags/Colts in the division.Deal or no deal!
was this post made in 2004? 2005? 2006? 2007 2008 or all of the above?Bingo. I don't think the majority of the fan base will be fooled by a streak to end the year, and if we aren't do you think Bob McNair and Rick Smith will be? If they are, shame on them, but I would never ever root against the team to win so that a coach might be fired. If you guys want to, have at it. Hey, that's when we are at our best. We are the garbage time kings of the NFL.

GP
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Bingo. I don't think the majority of the fan base will be fooled by a streak to end the year, and if we aren't do you think Bob McNair and Rick Smith will be? If they are, shame on them, but I would never ever root against the team to win so that a coach might be fired. If you guys want to, have at it.

I won't root for us to lose.

But it won't feel good, to me, to win. Not if it means that problems are masked (again) and we're back in the same spot (again) next year.

If people want to sit here at about week three, every year, and act like they never saw this crap coming...then shame on them.

Same crap. Different year. Marginal moral victories to be championed as if they mean something. Count me out of that scene.

I won't be sad if we lose out. Hell, "winning out" doesn't accomplish anything either. Does it? Might as well lose out and increase our draft position, while ramping up the possibility of getting a new D-coordinator. I think in terms of overall long-term strategy, not just in short-term satisfaction.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

But it won't feel good, to me, to win.
soooo, as a fan you only like this team if you can ***** about them

nunusguy
12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
We win........... Period.

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Kool-Aid.jpg
How many times have you made that predicttion this year before we lost ?

Wolf
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
What was kinda nice is the seeing the smile on D-robs face in the 4th quarter after he just missed that INT .. sure matt Jones caught that ball(I think it was matt jones), but D-rob was just a half a second late on catching that ball and going for a pick-6

I thought that was good moment and to see him have fun and I wasn't even upset that Jacksonville gained some yards on that one.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 12:52 PM
What was kinda nice is the seeing the smile on D-robs face in the 4th quarter after he just missed that INT .. sure matt Jones caught that ball(I think it was matt jones), but D-rob was just a half a second late on catching that ball and going for a pick-6

I thought that was good moment and to see him have fun and I wasn't even upset that Jacksonville gained some yards on that one.

I agree, Wolf. Heck, I think he just swung and missed the ball, lol. In the end, I'm giddy as hell he's out there on the field again.

:fans:

Texan_Bill
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
How many times have you made that predicttion this year before we lost ?

*sigh*

How many games have we played?? :gun:

Porky
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM

But it won't feel good, to me, to win. Not if it means that problems are masked (again) and we're back in the same spot (again) next year.

If people want to sit here at about week three, every year, and act like they never saw this crap coming...then shame on them.

Same crap. Different year. Marginal moral victories to be championed as if they mean something. Count me out of that scene.

I won't be sad if we lose out. Hell, "winning out" doesn't accomplish anything either. Does it? Might as well lose out and increase our draft position, while ramping up the possibility of getting a new D-coordinator. I think in terms of overall long-term strategy, not just in short-term satisfaction.

Winning out doesn't accomplish anything Mr. Scrooge? Surely you jest.

How about installing a winning attitude and positive environment. How about being more attractive to potential FA's? How about the pure joy of a winning feeling?

Do I need to send the ghosts of Football seasons past, present and future for you to realize that losing is bad and winning is good? What kind of world do you live in where the opposite is true?

Bah Humbug huh?

Goldensilence
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I am afraid we're going to win the rest of our games, or at least almost all of them. Be disgusted with me if you think I'm wrong for feeling this way, but I don't see the point in winning a bunch of games and somehow seeing Richard Smith pull his butt out of the fire because of it.

The guy has historically played soft schemes the first half of the year, and then let's them off the chains at the end of each of his three seasons here.

It's as if he thinks there is a league rule that bans aggressive defense for the first 8 games of the year.

I. Just. Don't. Understand. Him.

The whole team looks better when the defense is off the chains. And then we allow 30+ points when we play footsie with the opposing team's offense.

I think we come close to winning the remainder of games this year, which masks problems that are still there and will only come up again next year.

Pretty much my thoughts as people are giving some props to the defense played the past two weeks.

It seems predictable.

Kubiak:"Well there went our chances at the playoffs.Ok Richard time to make the defense look good enough to keep your job"
Rs: "You got it boss!"

Ten games into the season and the Coordinator magically pulls his head out of his ass to realize what a blitz is and....maybe we should get some of these possibly more productive younger guys playing time.

I want us to play good as possible and win as many games as we can...but christ I hope that doesn't mean we have to deal with Richard Smith for another year.

Hervoyel
12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Nobody really has any facts or knowledge at this point because the Texans play things very close where personnel decisions are concerned but I genuinely believe that no amount of winning turns Richard Smith into our DC for 2009. As many of you have pointed out this pattern is three years old and unchanged. Based on comments McNair has made and the fact that we're in the third year of this I think he sees what's happening and that a change will be made following the season. Smith might not even be gone but he might move over to coaching linebackers or something like that. I don't know what he would be willing to do or to what length the Texans would go to make sure everybody saves face but I feel pretty good about the odds of our having no more than 4 more games of Richard Smith and his amazing aggressive bait-and-switch defense.

I could of course be wrong and if I am then I'm going into 2009 very displeased and expecting to see the blitzing aggressive defense we close out 2008 using. The moment be brings that passive BS out I exepct Reliant stadium to become wall of Boo's. I don't think it will happen though. I really think he's gone this time.

Hooston Texan
12-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Reading the tea-leaves, Smith is a goner no matter what happens. Yes, the Texans are tight-lipped about these things, but I think there are enough tea-leaves out there to begin reading. A sampling:

1. The anonymous quotes in Solomon's article about defenders shaking their heads coming out of defense meetings. The last time any Texan criticized a coach or fellow player (on or off the record), it was Dunta going after Carr. A few weeks later, Carr was gone.

2. Kubiak's acknowledgement that he has taken a more hands-on approach in recent weeks. The announcers talked about it last night, and it has been discussed in the Chronicle. Kubes is an offensive guy, but he saw the job was just not getting done. Firing a coordinator midseason is the type of high-wire drastic move I don't expect the Texans to ever make again after 2005, so Kubes' only other option was to become involved. The last two games show the results of that effort--in both strategy and results. And the anonymous sources mentioned above are now thrilled.

3. McNair's statement about accountability and performance review. That is about as ominous as a guy like McNair can get.

4. Kubes' dressing down of the defense after the second Indy game. I believe he mentioned coaching decisions/philosophy prominently in his tirade. That was the last game prior to Cleveland, by the way.

Bottom line: if Kubiak wants to become a full-time meddler in the defense, then maybe Smith stays if the D plays out the season like they did the past two weeks (and, yes, the final 141 yards the Jags gained were absolutely in garbage time). But more likely is the possibility that Kubes wants to just get through this season and then make his change permanent by bringing in someone else.

threetoedpete
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Even at 9-7, in my mind the Texans would not have accomplished much. It would be too little, too late. For a team that had playoff aspiration coming into this season, they failed miserably when they had a chance to actually be a factor in the playoff race.

The only ones at fault there Sam would be the folks who over valued the talent in preseason. And folks under estimating the difficult early five games. Not the team. Nor the coaches. Kubiak used the season to answer his personnel questions. And he is still doing it.

If he wins a couple of close ones...first Jacksonville game and Indy game...both winnable, they have their perfect season third season. Sitting 8-5 with three to play. The pressure on the team to respond to a difficult road game, winning two of three on the road. They didn't win the early games. Can they go into Green Bay and win one in the cold muck against a better team ?

They are blocking better down Field than any Texans team they have ever feilded....ever. The guards and tackles are blocking in combination better than they ever have...ever.

They busted out on every free agent move they made this season. Should that get them all run ? I dunno. But know this: there will be no Richard Smith firing. Smith goes Kubiak goes. And the first thing the new guy will do is tear down the Denver WCO and begin again with his own guys and scheme.

So the question here have they made enough progress to give this group of coaches the fourth year ?That's it. You say no and I say maybe they will get better at picking free agents in '09.

They are a top offense even with weak links at center and right guard. I don't think Mr. McNair will throw that away easily.

Jackie Chiles
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't think we run through the rest of our schedule with ease at all. The Raiders are the only team that we will probably be favored against. I believe any one of our next two games will tell us more about our team and where we are at than the last two games combined. If we win them both, pass the kool-aid, if we lay a couple eggs and go 0-2, that will make me fairly miserable. I honestly think going 1-1 over the next two games will be more impressive than our current two game streak.

GP
12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
soooo, as a fan you only like this team if you can ***** about them

No, I just can't find that place of joy that so many others have created for themselves to live in. I mean...seriously...is it really "bitching" about the team, or is it more like "being honest"?

If something isn't working, and you've tinkered with it for four years, and you can only see it in action for 16 days out of each year...shouldn't it be time to go to the store and see what else is out there? And shouldn't you look at the different things on the shelf and see one and go "Oh, no...don't need THAT one. I had one of those eight years ago and messed around with it for four years." And you shuffle down and spot another one to buy, but you go "Well, this one might work. Oh, wait a second...no, this is just like the one I spent the past four years tinkering with. Crap."

I am hoping Bob McNair will not make his shopping list the same way he has for the past eight years. Or at least he can go online and do an expanded Google search instead of going to a few routine places.

When I get to this point of a Houston Texans season, the point where we all try and find little bright spots on the grass to lie down and sun ourselves for a few hours, it just makes me grumpy. I'm giddy during draft season, training camp, and preseason. I have a little of the natural feelings of joy even after a few bad losses to start a season. But I get to this point of our seasons, and I have a hard time playing nice.

I'm looking at another long winter, and then basically four months before the draft occurs, and then another 3 months or so before you actually see what you have, and then 16 weeks of mediocrity and the same threads and the same comments in those threads.

What's the definition of insanity again? LOL. (Sigh)...............

Vinny
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
No, I just can't find that place of joy that so many others have created for themselves to live in. I mean...seriously...is it really "bitching" about the team, or is it more like "being honest"?
if you can't stand for this team to win...yeah, its bitching.

GP
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM

It's like someone said earlier in the season: I get NUMB to the wins now.

I used to be really "into" the games. Now? I just have a numbness because I am compensating for a past tendency of having my expectations crushed.

I've probably swerved to the other side of the ditch, "over-correcting," but that's just what it is. It's hard to be upbeat about a team that is just a soul-crusher at the end of the day. We beat up on bad teams. Yippee.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
It's like someone said earlier in the season: I get NUMB to the wins now.

I used to be really "into" the games. Now? I just have a numbness because I am compensating for a past tendency of having my expectations crushed.

I've probably swerved to the other side of the ditch, "over-correcting," but that's just what it is. It's hard to be upbeat about a team that is just a soul-crusher at the end of the day. We beat up on bad teams. Yippee.
get another hobby then....cause if you cant take the team winning games you are just pulling for everyone but us....thats not a fan. I mean, I'm down on Kubiak with his milquetoast leadership skills and I don't like our finess offense that can move the ball in between the 20's like the RnS but gets destroyed when the field shrinks but part of the fun of following a football team is pulling for it to win every week...I mean, what's the use watching the games if you can't do that? Perhaps basketweaving is in your future.

spurstexanstros
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
5-7 Operation .500 is back on again. I think we can win three of the last 4 games. After what the team and city have gone through this year .500 would be considered a good thing in my opinion. I would like to see the Texans go into last game with a chance to go 9-7. but I will take .500

Hooston Texan
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
This team is a coin-flip and an unprecedented one-player-meltdown away from being 7-5 and tied with the Colts for second in the division. That would put us a game out of the wildcard with only one opponent with a winning record left on the schedule. How fine would that be right now?

Of course, we are also one incomprehensible AJ catch away from being 4-8, but such is life in the NFL.

Blu
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Typical fairweather Houston fan.
Nothing is ever good enough .

I bet he tailgated, while his paid seat was cold.

At the Dynamo matches we call folks that don't chant ... pechos frios.
Now at Texan games I nickname tailgaters that let their tickets go unused Social Texans aka Nalgas Frias. :foottap:

GP
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
get another hobby then....cause if you cant take the team winning games you are just pulling for everyone but us....thats not a fan. I mean, I'm down on Kubiak with his milquetoast leadership skills and I don't like our finess offense that can move the ball in between the 20's like the RnS but gets destroyed when the field shrinks but part of the fun of following a football team is pulling for it to win every week...I mean, what's the use watching the games if you can't do that? Perhaps basketweaving is in your future.

I already watch that every Sunday. It's taught by Gary Kubiak.

Oh, I'm not going to shrink up and slither away from watching Texans football. It's bad, no doubt, but some day things will work out. It just won't be with Gary Kubiak at the controls.

The Kubiak tent is going to fold up a year from now, and someone else will move in and set up shop. I'll probably have fun when that happens, and hopefully it will be someone who doesn't need four years to post a winning record. 9-7 is when I throw a party.

GP
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Typical fairweather Houston fan.
Nothing is ever good enough .

I bet he tailgated, while his paid seat was cold.

At the Dynamo matches we call folks that don't chant ... pechos frios.
Now at Texan games I nickname tailgaters that let their tickets go unused Social Texans aka Nalgas Frias. :foottap:

LOL. Considering it would be a 13-hour drive to the stadium for me, your comments don't apply to me. I have watched Houston pro football since the late 1980s, and I also watch Astros and Rockets every year. I follow ONLY the Houston teams even though I don't live near Houston nor have any connections there. Just like the town, and I like the teams.

The Astros and the Rockets are two teams that I think do a good job of being competitive on almost a yearly basis, which pleases me even though the Rockets get stuck in the first round and the Astros have lost their edge recently. But this football team is killing me. It's gotta' do better than THIS.

disaacks3
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Did Smith/Kubes suddenly feel that with an upgrade in talent they can now be more aggessive, or is the aggressivness bringing out the best in the talent that they have? The question is why now, and who is spearheading this more agressive D? Is it Kubes forcing this upon RS? Is it RS himself? Is it another person ala Rick Smith or Bob McNair? Has Kubes usurped Smith's authority behind the scenes and maybe another coach is really calling the shots? Many inquiring minds (yours truly among them) would surely love the answers to these questions as well.

I don't see the point in winning a bunch of games and somehow seeing Richard Smith pull his butt out of the fire because of it.

I think I see the problem here GP - It's not that you really disapprove of the Texans winning, you just fear that it will lead to a "Status Quo" for the D-Coordinator position. This, in your mind, is actually a WORSE possible long-term outcome than losing out. If it makes you feel any better...don't look at it that way. I'm pretty sure that (outside of a literal voice from the heavens) the decision has ALREADY been made by the F.O. at this point.

This team is a coin-flip and an unprecedented one-player-meltdown away from being 7-5 and tied with the Colts for second in the division. That would put us a game out of the wildcard with only one opponent with a winning record left on the schedule. How fine would that be right now?

Of course, we are also one incomprehensible AJ catch away from being 4-8, but such is life in the NFL.
Yep, the Texans are the proverbial "coulda, woulda, shoulda" team of the NFL.

To add something at least semi-original to this pot brewing in here... Is it just me, or has Sage looked more "tentative" the last two games than in his entire history? He appears to have the "Must avoid big-time F'up" on his mind with every single pass these days. The problem with this is that the thing that made Sage "work" in this offense was 'some' of that willingness to try and perform like he's Brett Favre. He appears to have LOST that drive forever since the Colts game. We need (even an unhealthy) Schaub back there ASAP or we're going to get stomped by GB and the Titans.

infantrycak
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
To add something at least semi-original to this pot brewing in here... Is it just me, or has Sage looked more "tentative" the last two games than in his entire history? He appears to have the "Must avoid big-time F'up" on his mind with every single pass these days. The problem with this is that the thing that made Sage "work" in this offense was 'some' of that willingness to try and perform like he's Brett Favre. He appears to have LOST that drive forever since the Colts game. We need (even an unhealthy) Schaub back there ASAP or we're going to get stomped by GB and the Titans.

I think that is spot on. He isn't running his progressions well right now. It is from AJ to Slaton/dump and it appears he is scared to throw to the middle. OD was running around the middle of the field last night and Sage wasn't going to spot him if he had been naked with his hair on fire.

GP
12-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I think that is spot on. He isn't running his progressions well right now. It is from AJ to Slaton/dump and it appears he is scared to throw to the middle. OD was running around the middle of the field last night and Sage wasn't going to spot him if he had been naked with his hair on fire.

Agreed.

He was in "Safe Mode" and that's fine with me. It got us the win.

Things looked good the opening drive. After a field goal, and several spayed & neutered possessions by the Jaguars, I think either Kubiak told him to go into Safe Mode or he did it on his own, or a combination of both.

The Jaguars were not going to do anything unless we handed it to them. It was the best feeling in the world: The Jaguars Could Do Nothing Significant.

axman40
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

two kickers one ball
Next years fantasy football team name!
:specnatz: