PDA

View Full Version : Jacques Reeves

powerfuldragon
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
picked off garrard at a clutch moment... btu he's still Turrible.

Jackie Chiles
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM

I've been on him this entire year but that is the kind of play that can change my mind about him. Best play of the year for him, hopefully he can build on it. Please don't make me regret saying that Reeves.

dtran04
12-01-2008, 08:07 PM
He's gotta watch the double move now. At least that's what any competent O Coordinator would do.

mattieuk
12-01-2008, 08:11 PM
OOOOOOO fumbleeeeeeee....our ball!

Edit: Oh wait...this threads about Reeves....damn alcohol...

TexanSam
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Reeves is the Texans version of Rafer Alston

DocBar
12-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Doesn't Reeves lead the team in INT's? That's more of an indictmnent of the rest of the secondary than praise for Reeves. IMO our secondary will be vastly improved if/when we blitz more effectively. 3-4 seconds is too much time to give an NFL QB.

PapaL
12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Look - the dude stinks most times. He's been playing WAYYY better lately.

The better he keeps playing the less fans will rag on him.

He's been playing better. I hope he doesn't settle for better.

What else do you want?

Maddict5
12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I've been on him this entire year but that is the kind of play that can change my mind about him. Best play of the year for him, hopefully he can build on it. Please don't make me regret saying that Reeves.

for me it was his tipped ball v the colts (1st game)... surefire td to wayne knocked away because he turned his head and used his great speed to reach it

hot pickle
12-01-2008, 09:41 PM
ya ive been on him this year to.. but for the past couple weeks ive had nothing to really complain about looks good tonight from what ive watched

Hervoyel
12-01-2008, 10:50 PM

He had a good game tonight. If he can string more than a couple of those together you won't be able to call him "turrible" anymore.

Who knows, maybe he is more suited to man than zone. Maybe he did need a change of scenery.

bah007
12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
A funny thing happened in practice happened this week.

Yes, our coaches apparently saw a mistake in one of our players and worked to correct it!

Someone must have told Reeves that he is allowed to catch the ball.

powerfuldragon
12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
he's playing better than dunta.

/run

TexanSam
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM

/run

yup. Dunta has been less than impressive since his return.

Carr Bombed
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Even I will come in and eat some crow.....Reeves had a great game (maybe he reads the board)......hopefully he can now build off of it. As a Texan fan even when I'm hard on players, I don't root against them, because that would be dumb and counterproductive to the team. So here's to Reeves turning a corner (no pun) in his career and becoming a solid DB in this league.

gtexan02
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
He is and has been our best cornerback this year. There, I said it.

Like Tirico and Jaws said... Reeves has been targeted over 65 times, and he has allowed less than 50% completion. Plus he's got 4 INTs. Thats not nearly as bad as we get on him

Tonight he had the pick, he almost had another (broken up in the end zone), and he had 2 good break ups in the end zone (one he was backwards)

Carr Bombed
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM

/run

Like I said in the other thread........Dunta gets a pass this season, even if he bounces back fully from that knee injury it won't happen until next season.

powerfuldragon
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
He is and has been our best cornerback this year. There, I said it.

Like Tirico and Jaws said... Reeves has been targeted over 65 times, and he has allowed less than 50% completion. Plus he's got 4 INTs. Thats not nearly as bad as we get on him

Tonight he had the pick, he almost had another (broken up in the end zone), and he had 2 good break ups in the end zone (one he was backwards)

:shrug: :)

Jackie Chiles
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Reeves came through for us big time tonight and had a great game. Dunta had a couple nice plays in the run game and he racks up some good hidden yardage defense there. He almost made a play where he jumped the route, hopefully after an off-season he gets to that ball. This is the kind of game that all the people that say there is some talent on this defense. Not great but we can build on it if we get some more good talent (and coaches, too little too late Richard) this off-season. Next week will be a real test against a good offense on the road though and I'm still nervous about it.

mexican_texan
12-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Only one CB in the AFC has more picks. Wow.

mexican_texan
12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
:shrug: :)
You just like him because he reminds you of the Pink Panther.

eriadoc
12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
The guy has about everything you'd want in a CB except ball skills. Oh, and tackling. He got trucked a couple times tonight.

bah007
12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
The guy has about everything you'd want in a CB except ball skills. Oh, and tackling. He got trucked a couple times tonight.

Yeah he needs to do some more ball drills in practice.

I consider Reeves an upgrade over P Buc in the tackling department, but that is probably the only guy he is above on that list.

mexican_texan
12-01-2008, 11:39 PM
He need some tacklin' fuel

imatexan
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
He is number 3 in the AFC or league in INT, was suprised to hear that...

Not bad Reeves.

BigBull17
12-02-2008, 07:22 AM

He got trucked by MJD... So does Merriman.

FirstTexansFan
12-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Well as much as Reeves has been the whipping boy on these forums, I think most of it is just lashout and frustration with the entire season. He came here with a bad reputation from the Cowboys, and I think alot of folks have just excepted that as the truth. What I've seen is a guy with the speed necessary to play. He always seems to have tight coverage. Where I believe he fails is his ability to react to the ball. The receiver will slow, turn his head, and Jacques doesn't make the connection.

I don't know but it seems like something that could be corrected.

It's either a coaching issue or an IQ issue with Reeves, I'll leave that for others to decide.

Goatcheese
12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Reeves is Reeves. A solid NFL corner within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, and a waste of space beyond that.

That's why I've said he should be in the nickle, where he will usually be in that area, facing the QB, and the ball.

nunusguy
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I gotta get into the line of posters who are complimenting Reeves and say
"atta-boy" for his performance last night.

HOU-TEX
12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
He got trucked by MJD... So does Merriman.

D-Ryans got trucked worse than any one last night. That was a pretty brutal collision.

Reeves might get trucked every once in a while, but at least he ain't skeered to get trucked. If you know what I mean....P-Buch. :)

gtexan02
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I think Reeves is actually a pretty good tackler. I watched Demeco miss a few against MJD last night---he's a tough SOB to bring down.

Reeves is improving vastly every game he plays in. I'm excited about his potential next season

Malloy
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Everyone got trucked at some time or another last night against MJD, Even Ryans got run over and his tackle attempt looked pretty bad.

All in all I would say that Reeves had a VERY good game, and in terms of plays, hes our most effective (not neccesarily best) player in our secondary.

Imagine if the few mistakes he makes could be coached away... nasty :)

cdollaz
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
To a certain extent, DBs are only as good as the pass rush in front of them. Our DBs would definitely look better if our pass rush wasn't non-existant most of the time. Even the best are going to give up plays if the QB has too much time. Not saying ours are great, but it is a factor.

Thorn
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
The truth of the matter is Reeves started out this year absloutly horrible, just horrible. He is now much improved from his earlier season play. Let's all hope he keeps up this new found ability to play well.

And yeah, props where props are due. He played a good game last night.

Vinny
12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
The truth of the matter is Reeves started out this year absloutly horrible, just horrible. He is now much improved from his earlier season play. Let's all hope he keeps up this new found ability to play well.

And yeah, props where props are due. He played a good game last night.I'm assuming that RS has lost more and more responsibility as the defense continued to give up 30+ points a game....and I wonder how much of the Coaching has shifted to the hands of the other 325 assistant head coaches the Texans have? Reeves has improved as RS has lost responsibilities is my current theory.

eriadoc
12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Well as much as Reeves has been the whipping boy on these forums, I think most of it is just lashout and frustration with the entire season. He came here with a bad reputation from the Cowboys, and I think alot of folks have just excepted that as the truth. What I've seen is a guy with the speed necessary to play. He always seems to have tight coverage. Where I believe he fails is his ability to react to the ball. The receiver will slow, turn his head, and Jacques doesn't make the connection.

Well, I won't pretend to speak for anyone else, but that is precisely what frustrates me, and probably what frustrated the Dallas fans. We continue to see a guy that has the physical tools to be in position and stay with the WR, but then he doesn't make the play. Anytime his back is to the ball, he's not likely to locate the ball and make a play on it. Couple that with the fact that opposing OCs obviously see something that makes them target him as frequently as any corner in football, and you can see how the frustration comes about.

It's unlike the frustration I have for Faggins, whom I feel is playing out of postion and should not be a starter. He does not have the physical tools that Reeves has, so he fails to make plays. Reeves just lacks ball skills, which are kind of important for CBs.

eriadoc
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm assuming that RS has lost more and more responsibility as the defense continued to give up 30+ points a game....and I wonder how much of the Coaching has shifted to the hands of the other 325 assistant head coaches the Texans have? Reeves has improved as RS has lost responsibilities is my current theory.

He's definitely being put in better positions, it seems. The pick last night was beautiful.

Goldensilence
12-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm assuming that RS has lost more and more responsibility as the defense continued to give up 30+ points a game....and I wonder how much of the Coaching has shifted to the hands of the other 325 assistant head coaches the Texans have? Reeves has improved as RS has lost responsibilities is my current theory.

I think that is plausable.

cuppacoffee
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Even I will come in and eat some crow.....Reeves had a great game (maybe he reads the board)......hopefully he can now build off of it. As a Texan fan even when I'm hard on players, I don't root against them, because that would be dumb and counterproductive to the team. So here's to Reeves turning a corner (no pun) in his career and becoming a solid DB in this league.

Jaws has the rep. of being a good analyst that studies film of the games before commenting on them.

I don't have the recall to quote him but he gave a good review of Reeves by quoting the stats of the supposed "better" cb's in the league, such as times thrown against vs completions vs yards given up. In Jaws estimation Reeves compared favorably with them, saying that Reeves was getting a bad rap by the fans here.

idonno:

:coffee:

mexican_texan
12-02-2008, 01:06 PM
So has Amobi. He was in the backfield a lot yesterday. Come to think of it, so was Weaver.