PDA

View Full Version : suggested FA!

El Tejano
11-28-2008, 01:16 AM
I was checking out the Lions thanksgiving game and thought of a good possible FA. Ernie Simms. This guy is wasting there in Detroit, and he should be becoming a FA after next year or so because he was drafted at the time Mario and Demeco were.

He could definetly take over the middle and move Ryans to whatever side we need him to.

I may be wrong on him being a FA this year though. Just a thought.

mexican_texan
11-28-2008, 01:19 AM
They are not letting him go, and he did not sign a 3 year contract

Brandon420tx
11-28-2008, 01:43 AM
I had a dream we picked up Peppers in the offseason, not expecting it to happen, don't even know if he's resigned with carolina, it was just an interesting dream.

What would we do with Mario swapping sides if we got Peppers though.

(also dreamed we drafted a huge DT in the 3rd round to finish up the line, I actually hope that one comes true)

Maddict5
11-28-2008, 06:05 AM
peppers resigned before the season

ArlingtonTexan
11-28-2008, 09:02 AM

It was talked about, but he did not

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2008/top10.htm

nero THE zero
11-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Word is Carolina has vowed to franchise Peppers.

Sims isn't a free agent for 4 more years:
7/30/2006: Signed a five-year, $15.735 million contract. The deal includes $12.1 million in guarantees. 2008: $715,000, 2009: $850,000, 2010: $800,000, 2011: $635,000 (Voidable Year), 2012: Free Agent

Maddict5
11-28-2008, 09:35 AM
It was talked about, but he did not

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2008/top10.htm

really? i was sure he signed a deal before the season

mario and peppers :drool:

gary
11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I hope that this does come true.

Goldensilence
11-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Suggs.

El Tejano
11-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys. That's why I post. To get more info from those who will take the time to look up the info.

Honestly I woudn't mind getting the LB from USC if we can.

gary
11-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Suggs.
I wouldn't mind him either.

infantrycak
11-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I was checking out the Lions thanksgiving game and thought of a good possible FA. Ernie Simms. This guy is wasting there in Detroit, and he should be becoming a FA after next year or so because he was drafted at the time Mario and Demeco were.

Simms is signed through 2011 with the last year voidable so he is at least 2 seasons off from FA.

He could definetly take over the middle and move Ryans to whatever side we need him to.

Aaack--not happening (even if it should) so why does this keep getting brought up?

Second Honeymoon
11-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I think the right move would be to bring in Haynesworth and steal him from right under the Titan's nose. Sure, its gonna cost money but such is the price for great players. Mario and Haynesworth side by side and you would have the added benefit of taking him away from the Titans and having him hurt other team's QBs and stop hurting our own.

I also wouldn't have a problem bringing Ray Lewis in here to give this defense some heart and leadership. He still has 2 or 3 years left in the tank and I would like to see him join our coaching ranks once he retires. He has a great football mind and has great attention to detail. Something our defense has lacked for a long time. I think he will make a great coach, maybe even a great head coach someday. He brings credibility and passion to the table. It makes sense as long as we dont pay franchise LB money. Give him decent money and some incentives that trigger if we go to AFC Championship Game or win a playoff game. Get creative but get him in our fold. He has a great future ahead of him and I'd like to see him have success here.

infantrycak
11-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I think the right move would be to bring in Haynesworth and steal him from right under the Titan's nose. Sure, its gonna cost money but such is the price for great players. Mario and Haynesworth side by side and you would have the added benefit of taking him away from the Titans and having him hurt other team's QBs and stop hurting our own.

Wouldn't just free up Mario, he would unleash Okoye to his best role.

I also wouldn't have a problem bringing Ray Lewis in here to give this defense some heart and leadership. He still has 2 or 3 years left in the tank and I would like to see him join our coaching ranks once he retires. He has a great football mind and has great attention to detail. Something our defense has lacked for a long time. I think he will make a great coach, maybe even a great head coach someday.

Man, I need to watch those miked up segments more closely.

Second Honeymoon
11-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Man, I need to watch those miked up segments more closely.

he just exudes passion for the game and for winning and his leadership is renowned. his teammates basically fear his wrath if they make a bad play. he also does all the work in the film room and in preparation. he's practically an on the field DC.

gary
11-28-2008, 02:09 PM
First things first fire RS.

infantrycak
11-28-2008, 02:10 PM
he just exudes passion for the game and for winning and his leadership is renowned. his teammates basically fear his wrath if they make a bad play. he also does all the work in the film room and in preparation. he's practically an on the field DC.

I know he is dedicated and does extra film time with Ed Reed and he is a motivator but that doesn't always translate to coach.

Signed,

Mike Singletary

Specnatz
11-28-2008, 02:21 PM
LMFAO !!

I want Tom Brady at QB, LT at runningback and Jeff Saturday at Center. Opps, sorry, I thought this was where we mentioned players that would be available when they are way past there prime or when hell freezes over.

I would not mind looking at Colin Cole of GB or even Tank Johnson from Dallas if he signs a big personal conduct clause. RB Derrick Ward or as a big reserve Lamont Jordan NE (small contract only). DT Jovan Haye to replace TJ.

Yes I have not mentioned any huge FA because I do not see an OLB or safety that is going to become available that would not be just Madden type crap.

Pantherstang84
11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
As stated previously in this this thread...

Fat Albert Haynesworth.

Just get it done!

gary
11-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Gona be hard though.

Brandon420tx
11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I personally like Jabari Greer from the buffalo bills, maybe not starter quality, but a way better then some of our backups. Would be a nice no name signing.

Edit: Just found out he's been the starter there for awhile, I never noticed the few times I watched the Bills games haha

Other names I wouldn't mind:
Eric Barton
Kelvin Hayden
Karlos Dansby
Shaun Cody (Jethro Franklin needs to coach him up a lil)

mexican_texan
11-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Is Karlos Dansby a free agent? He'd definitely be a highly sought after guy.

Specnatz
11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Is Karlos Dansby a free agent? He'd definitely be a highly sought after guy.

Yes he is, did not even think about him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL+Zone/Team+Reports/default.htm?mode=nfcwest

El Tejano
11-28-2008, 08:41 PM

This is the Jerry Jones way so it is bound to work.

mexican_texan
11-28-2008, 08:55 PM
This is the Jerry Jones way so it is bound to work.
The Jerry Jones way is for us to trade Adibi and Diles for Chad Ocho Cinco and go after old, 35 year old players who used to be stars.

El Tejano
11-28-2008, 10:06 PM
The Jerry Jones way is for us to trade Adibi and Diles for Chad Ocho Cinco and go after old, 35 year old players who used to be stars.

You forgot having winning seasons and giving the fans some kind of hope for a championship. Matter of fact wouldn't suprise me one bit if Haynesworth got picked up by the Cowboys somehow.

edo783
11-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Aaack--not happening (even if it should) so why does this keep getting brought up?

I can't figure it out either. Take your best LB from the spot he is a probowler at and move him to one you HOPE he is as good or better at.......somehow, that doesn't seem all that smart and why some keep harping about it baffles me.

Hottoddie
11-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Guys, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the next time you start dreaming about signing a big name free agent in his prime like Haynesworth, Peppers, or Suggs, just think about what the Texan's front office will do when Mario becomes an UFA. (Hint: It'll never happen.)

It's a nice dream, but we need to focus on players that we truely have a chance to sign. As I & others have pointed out, I'd make a run at Michael Bush (RB) by offering a late round draft pick to Oakland in a trade.

Other than that, I would think we have a much better chance of signing a CB & safety in free agency & going after Dline help in the draft. Here's a couple of players that might help us.

Oshiomogho Atogwe (FS)
Sean Jones (SS)
James Butler (SS)

Bryant McFadden (CB)
Eric Green (CB)
Jabari Greer (CB)
Ronald Bartell (CB)

I would've liked to have made a run at Chris Gamble, but he just signed a 6 year extention with Carolina.

We might want to take a run at these players as well.

Chris Canty (DE) - Dallas probably won't let him walk, but you never know.
Victor Adeyanju (DE)
Leroy Hill (OLB)
Michael Boley (OLB) - He might be too pricey.
Richie Incognito (C/G)

steelbtexan
11-28-2008, 10:53 PM
HToddie

I guess it is to much to expect the owner of the 5th most profitable franchise to go out & spend the cash necessary to get the best FA's. We season ticket holders are the true suckers.

I like Gamble
Guys on your list I like are
McFadden, Jones, Hill

Dan B.
11-28-2008, 11:26 PM
HToddie

I guess it is to much to expect the owner of the 5th most profitable franchise to go out & spend the cash necessary to get the best FA's. We season ticket holders are the true suckers.

I like Gamble
McFadden, Jones, Hill

Doesn't matter how profitable the Texans are. There is a salary cap they must adhere to. Just get rid of the underperforming/overpaid money like Greenwood, Weaver, Reeves, and Green (although the last one won't help as much as one would think listening to local sports radio). That's the only way we can afford to get the best/most expensive FA's.

There's also the problem of if the player were able to get a lot of high profile endorsements etc. Which really only happens in the huge markets anyway.

PapaL
11-28-2008, 11:34 PM
You know...Tom might be avaliable at the end of the season. Either him or Cassel will be.

steelbtexan
11-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Doesn't matter how profitable the Texans are. There is a salary cap they must adhere to. Just get rid of the underperforming/overpaid money like Greenwood, Weaver, Reeves, and Green (although the last one won't help as much as one would think listening to local sports radio). That's the only way we can afford to get the best/most expensive FA's.

There's also the problem of if the player were able to get a lot of high profile endorsements etc. Which really only happens in the huge markets anyway.

We will be 30 mil. under the cap before we cut some of the guys you suggested.

That is more than enough to sign 3 high profile FA's

In last weeks PFW audibles seection one FO guy said teams like the Jets & Cowgirls know how to structure contracts to sign the players they want in spite of the cap.

Look @ the Jets they added Favre, Jenkins, Pace, Faneca, Woody, in addition to having to sign a top 6 pick Gholston.

If they can do it why cant we?

Specnatz
11-29-2008, 12:30 AM
We will be 30 mil. under the cap before we cut some of the guys you suggested.

That is more than enough to sign 3 high profile FA's

In last weeks PFW audibles seection one FO guy said teams like the Jets & Cowgirls know how to structure contracts to sign the players they want in spite of the cap.

Look @ the Jets they added Favre, Jenkins, Pace, Faneca, Woody, in addition to having to sign a top 6 pick Gholston.

If they can do it why cant we?

Your right it is so easy to do so especially when a team Franchises a player. Most of the players being mentioned most likely will be franchised or resigned before the end of the season. Gamble, Panthers (CB) has been reported as signing a contract extension and Ray Lewis has said publicly he wants to resign and finish his career in Baltimore.

Yes, a few very good players change teams every year, like CB Nate Clements, which he has done oh so well since joining the 49ers. You can spend all you want but if the rest of the team is not on the verge it is wasted money.

Favre was a trade not a FA acquisition.

We haven't in the past because of the dumbass moves Casserly made. New England did not make any huge trade or FA moves, while winning Super Bowls, until two years ago when they made deals for Moss, Welker, Stallworth and A. Thomas. They built the team through the draft. Which is why they are never in cap hell like we were the last two years.

One last bit of fact about tis so called $30 mil under cap BS. That is before resigning of Dunta Robinson and Owen Daniels, unless you think they are not worth resigning.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2009.html

steelbtexan
11-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Spec I wanted them to sign Gamble atleast we know what the market is for top end FA's. I hope we look at signing 2 less expensive FA CB's McFadden & McAlister

1. Good teams use a combination of the draft & FA
2.We got in cap h*** because of Greir's suggestion to Casserly on who to sign in FA.
New England didn't start winning SB until they fired Greir (Coincedence I think not)
3. Favre & Jenkins wre both trades. They were able to make these trades for these high salary players as well as sign several high dollar FA's through shrewed cap management.
4. They will still be 25-30 mil. under the cap if they sign (Dunta see if he's healthy first, a smart move IMO) & OD. They will be able to stay in this range by cutting Green Greenwood Weaver ETC. I hope Dunta plays well & we resign him.

With the 25-30 mil. we should be able to sign 2or 3 impact FA's

Mr. McNair needs to spend the money if he wants to keep his fan base intact.

You get insight into his beliefs when he says things like he is leery of signing big ticket FA's. Why would he feel this way? Could it be that it would cut into the bottom line?

But why would he spend the money when he knows season ticket holders(suckers like me) will keep renewing regardless of the product that is on the field. This is how the team has operated since its inception & they are the 5th most profitable franchise in the NFL.

Goatcheese
11-29-2008, 04:42 AM
The top FAs I'd be interested in:

Jordan Gross LT Panthers - Brown is terribad. If he wasn't splitting time he could give up 22+ sacks(more than the whole line last season)

Dunta Robinson CB Texans - Gotta keep your best players, and team leaders

Dawan Landry FS Ravens - Young athletic safety, and playmaker

They should have a boat load of money to spend. Cutting Greenwood would net them ~$4.8mil in cap space. Cutting Weaver will net $1 mil, or $3.5 after June 1st, with $2.5 on next years cap.

I would consider guys like Suggs, and Asomugha, but I don't think they have much chance of shaking loose.

ObsiWan
11-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Guys, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the next time you start dreaming about signing a big name free agent in his prime like Haynesworth, Peppers, or Suggs, just think about what the Texan's front office will do when Mario becomes an UFA. (Hint: It'll never happen.)

It's a nice dream, but we need to focus on players that we truely have a chance to sign. As I & others have pointed out, I'd make a run at Michael Bush (RB) by offering a late round draft pick to Oakland in a trade.

Other than that, I would think we have a much better chance of signing a CB & safety in free agency & going after Dline help in the draft. Here's a couple of players that might help us.

Oshiomogho Atogwe (FS)
Sean Jones (SS)
James Butler (SS)

Bryant McFadden (CB)
Eric Green (CB)
Jabari Greer (CB)
Ronald Bartell (CB)

I would've liked to have made a run at Chris Gamble, but he just signed a 6 year extention with Carolina.

We might want to take a run at these players as well.

Chris Canty (DE) - Dallas probably won't let him walk, but you never know.
Victor Adeyanju (DE)
Leroy Hill (OLB)
Michael Boley (OLB) - He might be too pricey.
Richie Incognito (C/G)

This path makes more sense to me than trying to make the big splashy Daniel Snyder-type signings. How did that work out for the 'Skins? ...or the Raiders.

Actually, what I'd like to see is us get a solid D-coordinator in here as soon as possible - like a minute after he becomes eligible - and give him time to watch our game vids and see who he wants to keep and who needs to hit the road based on the scheme he wants to introduce. Then he presents his list of needs to Rick Smith - I suspect they'll be the same ones we've been griping about for months - and McNair turns Rick loose to get those guys in house.

I'm not convinced that because a guy plays well for one team, he'll play well for ours. See A. Green, A.Weaver, M. Greenwood, J. Reeves, etc... ...and that's just on our team. The league is filled with guys that played well in one system and flopped after going outside it.
The new D-coordinator's job is to install his system (and maybe more than a little ATTITUDE) and make sure he puts in his order (F/A AND draft) for guys that can make it successful.

but I'm just a fan, what do I know

Second Honeymoon
11-30-2008, 12:42 AM
i dont know why everyone thinks we can't attract the big names to our team? its not like houston is a crap city or anything. they haven't attracted a big name yet, but that doesn't mean they can't...it just means they haven't tried hard enough.

and as for people saying signing Haynesworth is the 'Jerry Jones way' of doing things, that is just crazy. Haynesworth is in his prime and plays for a division rival. How is that a bad move in stealing him? People talk about the cap and forget its a soft cap and that signing bonuses can overcome any cap dilemma. I am not for spending top dollar on guys like Greenwood, Weaver, or Wade, but why not spend a little bit more and get a proven commodity at a position of need while handicapping a division rival.

Personally, I think he will stay in Tennessee due to the ties of playing his college and pro ball there since day one. Doesn't hurt to call him because he has been a nail in our sides for two years running and its getting old. Why not lure him away with the promise of huge money and the ability to stick it to Bud Adams for letting you become a Free Agent in the first place. Bud should have locked him up and they are making him play this year as franchise player and unprotected long-term. I say let him rub that in Bud's face for the next 8 years as a member of the Texans.

mussop
11-30-2008, 12:48 AM
This path makes more sense to me than trying to make the big splashy Daniel Snyder-type signings. How did that work out for the 'Skins? ...or the Raiders.

Actually, what I'd like to see is us get a solid D-coordinator in here as soon as possible - like a minute after he becomes eligible - and give him time to watch our game vids and see who he wants to keep and who needs to hit the road based on the scheme he wants to introduce. Then he presents his list of needs to Rick Smith - I suspect they'll be the same ones we've been griping about for months - and McNair turns Rick loose to get those guys in house.

I'm not convinced that because a guy plays well for one team, he'll play well for ours. See A. Green, A.Weaver, M. Greenwood, J. Reeves, etc... ...and that's just on our team. The league is filled with guys that played well in one system and flopped after going outside it.
The new D-coordinator's job is to install his system (and maybe more than a little ATTITUDE) and make sure he puts in his order (F/A AND draft) for guys that can make it successful.

but I'm just a fan, what do I know

Weaver is the only one on that list taht actually played well enough for his former team to justify a large contract. Green was not resigned for a reason.

As far as making a "big splash" in FA, it worked for the jets. Washington goes after over the hill FA 's and Oakland is Oakland, nothing else needs to be said there. If you spend the money on the right spots it will make you better. If we can get a young, proven player that fills a need, why not spend the money to do it? Im sick of our FO trying to be clever and sign these middle of the pack guys and hopeing they develop into top players. We obvioulsy dont have the right scout (Bobby Grier) for it. Im sick and tired of having a at best mediocre team that signs mediocre players. We need to build this team up in the trenches before the talent we do have wears down or leaves for greener pastures.

Earlier I mentioned the Jets. Their biggest FA aqusiton was Criss Jenkins. Big strong talented DT's are hard to come by and they are difference makers. We currently have NO DT's that are difference makers. This team will not improve until it begins to stop the run consistantly. The pros so outway the cons of signing Haynesworth. He is exactly what this team needs to turn this thing in the right direction. Offer him a huge contract that will make himn the highest paid DT if he reaches certain incentives. Then build this defense through the draft around him and Mario.

Hottoddie
11-30-2008, 04:13 AM
The pros so outway the cons of signing Haynesworth. He is exactly what this team needs to turn this thing in the right direction. Offer him a huge contract that will make himn the highest paid DT if he reaches certain incentives. Then build this defense through the draft around him and Mario.

Okay then, is Haynesworth worth two #1 picks & a mega salary to you? That's what it'll cost if he's franchised & he most certainly will be franchised by Tennessee.

We wouldn't let Mario just walk away, especially to a division rival, so why would they? Signing Haynesworth is just a pipe dream.

dsorc
11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Okay then, is Haynesworth worth two #1 picks & a mega salary to you? That's what it'll cost if he's franchised & he most certainly will be franchised by Tennessee.

We wouldn't let Mario just walk away, especially to a division rival, so why would they? Signing Haynesworth is just a pipe dream.
I believe I've read that Haynesworth has some incentives that will prevent Tenn from franchising him again. Even if he's not franchised, he's going to be the #1 FA target for a bunch of teams. At the very least, we'd have to outbid Tenn and Atlanta. We should at the very least spin the wheels on him though. If we can't get him, might as well see if we can make Tenn overpay for him and screw up their cap.

b0ng
11-30-2008, 11:08 AM

The problem is if Haynesworth goes to the ProBowl and Tennessee goes to the playoffs he can become a FA without having to worry about Tennessee franchising him again.

What's going to probably happen is Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, and Rick Smith are not going to go after him due to personality issues.

Brandon420tx
11-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I hope Haynesworth lands in detroit

Hottoddie
11-30-2008, 02:02 PM
The problem is if Haynesworth goes to the ProBowl and Tennessee goes to the playoffs he can become a FA without having to worry about Tennessee franchising him again.

Well, if this is true, then it looks like a shoe in that he'll be unrestricted. However, he'll probably get a record setting offer & there's just no way the Texans are going to spend that much money on one player. At least not until we are ready to contend for the Super Bowl. We've got too many question marks on this team.

Although, Haynesworth would immediately upgrade our secondary with the additional pressure on the QB & if Adibi continues to develop, our linebacking corp is taking shape. Hmmmm........, let's see, if we sign Haynesworth & draft Mays with our 1st round pick, hmmmm........ :D

What's going to probably happen is Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, and Rick Smith are not going to go after him due to personality issues.

It might be personality issues, but my thinking is it'll be the outrageous price tag it'll take to sign him. I could see us going after some lower tier players like Chris Canty (DE), Victor Adeyanju (DE), Bryant McFadden (CB), Ronald Bartell (CB), & Richie Incognito (C/G) just to name a few.

Pantherstang84
11-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Regarding signing Haynesworth...

There is one you can count on Bud Adams doing. That is being Bud Adams.

He has a history of dismantling all of the good teams he has had. The Titans may even make it to the SB this year. Bud will be Bud and gut his team. You can take it to the bank.

Farough
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't want Suggs, it just reminds me too much of the last time we signed a FA from Baltimore(Weaver) we all know how good thats going.

I want Atogwe, that would be sweet.

Farough
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
How about trading for players who haven't been used as much. Two names come to mind, DTs Gabe Watson and or Alan Branch from the Cardinals. Neither of these players have gotten much playing time but there big and strong and eat up blockers. Just a consideration...I know we have Frank Okam but it wouldn't heurt to have another sumo-size DT.

http://www.noramsports.com/news/BigTen/Football/Michigan/Photo/GWatson1.jpg

Michigan fan much?

mussop
11-30-2008, 03:28 PM
I could see us going after some lower tier players like Chris Canty (DE), Victor Adeyanju (DE), Bryant McFadden (CB), Ronald Bartell (CB), & Richie Incognito (C/G) just to name a few.

Im tired of these mediocre FA signings that never pan out. This is what we have been doing since our inception. Im sick of this. I want us to go after a difference maker. If we sign a great player and draft right we could turn this defense around fast. Look at waht the Jets did in one offseason to their D.

RasTaofarI
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
the niners just released this guy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmWob7wWmTdwtxXZVb9WB1KX2bYF?slug=txnine rsbrooks&prov=st&type=lgns

physically, he's a stud; but for some reason couldn't make it work in Charlottesville, Cincinnati, or San Fran

4.6 speed and big at 6'3" 260+

as good, or better than Bentley, Coley, Thompson probably Diles

mexican_texan
11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
the niners just released this guy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmWob7wWmTdwtxXZVb9WB1KX2bYF?slug=txnine rsbrooks&prov=st&type=lgns

physically, he's a stud; but for some reason couldn't make it work in Charlottesville, Cincinnati, or San Fran

4.6 speed and big at 6'3" 260+

as good, or better than Bentley, Coley, Thompson probably Diles
He is what is known in the business as a "turd." He's Pacman with a worse attitude.

steelbtexan
12-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Im tired of these mediocre FA signings that never pan out. This is what we have been doing since our inception. Im sick of this. I want us to go after a difference maker. If we sign a great player and draft right we could turn this defense around fast. Look at waht the Jets did in one offseason to their D.

Itotally agree

Spend the money BOB

ObsiWan
12-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Weaver is the only one on that list taht actually played well enough for his former team to justify a large contract. Green was not resigned for a reason.

As far as making a "big splash" in FA, it worked for the jets. Washington goes after over the hill FA 's and Oakland is Oakland, nothing else needs to be said there. If you spend the money on the right spots it will make you better. If we can get a young, proven player that fills a need, why not spend the money to do it? Im sick of our FO trying to be clever and sign these middle of the pack guys and hopeing they develop into top players. We obvioulsy dont have the right scout (Bobby Grier) for it. Im sick and tired of having a at best mediocre team that signs mediocre players. We need to build this team up in the trenches before the talent we do have wears down or leaves for greener pastures.
Given the salary cap hell we were in when Smithiak got here, we had no choice but to upgrade by increments. There are discussions on top of discussions from 06 and 07 on that subject. Perhaps now that we've given ourselves some wiggle room, you'll get your wish.

Earlier I mentioned the Jets. Their biggest FA aqusiton was Criss Jenkins. Big strong talented DT's are hard to come by and they are difference makers. We currently have NO DT's that are difference makers. This team will not improve until it begins to stop the run consistantly. The pros so outway the cons of signing Haynesworth. He is exactly what this team needs to turn this thing in the right direction. Offer him a huge contract that will make himn the highest paid DT if he reaches certain incentives. Then build this defense through the draft around him and Mario.
I don't disagree, philosophically, with what you say here. We haven't had a big defensive presence in the middle of our D-line since Gary Walker was here and healthy. I think the F/O learned a hard lesson this year (at least I hope so), that stopping the run is just as crucial, if not more so, than "pressuring Peyton Manning" (wasn't that the reason Bob McNair said he drafted Mario?) Well, guess what Mr.Bob, we only play Peyton twice a year. There are 14 OTHER games on the schedule and most of them like to run the ball. And OBTW, a big run stopper that eats up two, three blockers might just help the pass rush too.

ubecool454
12-01-2008, 08:07 AM

Why move Demeco anywhere when he is fine where he is. I say play Demeco where he is and go with Adibi and Diles and draft a future Ernie Simms in the later rounds. I don't think we are really hurting at Linebacker. Lets talk about getting another speed rushing bookend to go with Mario first and then a Young running back with fresh legs?

BigBull17
12-01-2008, 08:08 AM
LMFAO !!

I want Tom Brady at QB, LT at runningback and Jeff Saturday at Center. Opps, sorry, I thought this was where we mentioned players that would be available when they are way past there prime or when hell freezes over.

I would not mind looking at Colin Cole of GB or even Tank Johnson from Dallas if he signs a big personal conduct clause. RB Derrick Ward or as a big reserve Lamont Jordan NE (small contract only). DT Jovan Haye to replace TJ.

Yes I have not mentioned any huge FA because I do not see an OLB or safety that is going to become available that would not be just Madden type crap.

First of all, LT looks pretty bad right now. Second, none of these FA targets are all that far fetched. 2 of them will be Fa, barring franchise tag.

ubecool454
12-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I had a dream we picked up Peppers in the offseason, not expecting it to happen, don't even know if he's resigned with carolina, it was just an interesting dream.

What would we do with Mario swapping sides if we got Peppers though.

(also dreamed we drafted a huge DT in the 3rd round to finish up the line, I actually hope that one comes true)
Just dream on because if Carolina can't get a deal done for Peppers they will just tag him next year. We had our chance to get Peppers and we chose to go with you know who. We don't need Peppers but we can sure take a shot at Micheal Johnson DE from Ga Tech.

ubecool454
12-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Peppers hasn't signed anything...lol

ubecool454
12-01-2008, 08:27 AM
HToddie

I like Gamble
McFadden, Jones, Hill

Steel after years of the old regime throwing McNairs money down the drain we finally will have some money under the cap after this season. We can't just start expecting the Texans to automatically get Peppers, Suggs, etc knowing we have to resign Mario, maybe Dunta etc in the next few years. I expect the the Texans will be more active in free agency this year but no Peppers, suggs, etc. I have had tickets since day one and I refuse to be called a sucker for buying them. If you feel like a sucker sell your tickets and talk to the Lions fans and then ask yourself is it really that bad for us...lol
f

Vinny
12-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Simms has been miserable this season after his shoulder surgery and his other nitpicky ailments...have you even watched the Lions defense? Simms has been awful.

steelbtexan
12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
UB

I dont want to sell my tickets. I love going to the games & I am one of the biggest Texans fans that you will find. My football room is dedicated to Texans gear

I hope to see a return on my PSL's

We the fans have been very loyal & supportive. (I.E. Cash)

I know Mr.McNair got burned by the CC regime in FA but he has to give Smithiak the tools they need to suceed.

It's like when a girlfriend breaks up with you & takes all of your stuff. You dont quit dating you just start shopping around for another girl.

I wonder if we hadn't spent money on the Reeves, & Thompson type FA's & pooled our money together could we have gotten a Jenkins, Stroud, or Justin Smith type player in FA. I would rather have one impact FA than 4 or 5 middle of the road FA's

mattieuk
12-01-2008, 10:54 AM
i dont know why everyone thinks we can't attract the big names to our team? its not like houston is a crap city or anything. they haven't attracted a big name yet, but that doesn't mean they can't...it just means they haven't tried hard enough.

and as for people saying signing Haynesworth is the 'Jerry Jones way' of doing things, that is just crazy. Haynesworth is in his prime and plays for a division rival. How is that a bad move in stealing him? People talk about the cap and forget its a soft cap and that signing bonuses can overcome any cap dilemma. I am not for spending top dollar on guys like Greenwood, Weaver, or Wade, but why not spend a little bit more and get a proven commodity at a position of need while handicapping a division rival.

Personally, I think he will stay in Tennessee due to the ties of playing his college and pro ball there since day one. Doesn't hurt to call him because he has been a nail in our sides for two years running and its getting old. Why not lure him away with the promise of huge money and the ability to stick it to Bud Adams for letting you become a Free Agent in the first place. Bud should have locked him up and they are making him play this year as franchise player and unprotected long-term. I say let him rub that in Bud's face for the next 8 years as a member of the Texans.

On the issue of Haynesworth, I just don't wanna by playing him twice a season. Don't really mind if we don't go for him, if he's on the market, just so long as he goes somewhere we don't have to look at him 2 weeks out of 16.