PDA

View Full Version : College DCs For Richard Smith's Replacement?

Ali4Real
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Any chance we can bring in Dick Bumpas from TCU or Will Muschamp from Texas to be our DC?

:fans:

MeLoveTexans
11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Any chance we can bring in Dick Bumpas from TCU or Will Muschamp from Texas to be our DC?

Muschamp has already been named the next UT head coach when Mack steps down.

Pantherstang84
11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I think I saw an article the other day that Muschamp is the HC in waiting at UT.

Pantherstang84
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Muschamp has already been named the next UT head coach when Mack steps down.

Great minds think alike.

bah007
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Muschamp is off the market.

I vote Tom Bradley, Penn St.

YoungTexanFan
11-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm not a diehard OU fan, but I did like the late blitz scheme they ran against Tech.

bah007
11-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm not a diehard OU fan, but I did like the late blitz scheme they ran against Tech.

I think Venables will wind up as Clemson head coach...

SheTexan
11-25-2008, 03:22 PM
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please get SOMEONE with NFL experience!!!!

I don't usually yell, BUT, I think I might have to :gun: myself if we have to train someone else!!! Hell, I would rather them bring back Capers than hire a college coach!!

BuffaloglennTX
11-25-2008, 03:44 PM

I don't usually yell, BUT, I think I might have to :gun: myself if we have to train someone else!!! Hell, I would rather them bring back Capers than hire a college coach!!

X2 - NFL experience is a must. Although we hear coach Kubes use the word "kids" a lot when describing his players, they are not kids. We need a man, someone who's fourty. :chickendance:

bah007
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Most guys with NFL experience probably aren't very good or they would have a job.

Corrosion
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Most guys with NFL experience probably aren't very good or they would have a job.

There will be some good DC's available after this season is over .... Several orginizations will clean house leaving many out of work .... there is bound to be someone who could fix this mess.

On a side note , I (just a thought after watching the game Sunday) dont think Dick was calling the plays this week .... They were far too aggressive to have been called by Smith. I wonder ....

Texan_Bill
11-25-2008, 04:32 PM
X2 - NFL experience is a must. Although we hear coach Kubes use the word "kids" a lot when describing his players, they are not kids. We need a man, someone who's fourty. :chickendance:

On the one hand you disqualify, this guy and on the other hand you qualify him:

OSU Coach Mike Gundy: "I'M A MAN!! I'M FORTY!!"

:whip:

CloakNNNdagger
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
There will be some good DC's available after this season is over .... Several orginizations will clean house leaving many out of work .... there is bound to be someone who could fix this mess.

On a side note , I (just a thought after watching the game Sunday) dont think Dick was calling the plays this week .... They were far too aggressive to have been called by Smith. I wonder ....

I can't say for sure who was calling the defense, but the only really aggressive person on the D line was none other than Mario. He's the only one that I saw get close to the QB. The rest of the line was usually waltzing near the LOS with the partner of choice. And we were so much more aggressive that we saw 0 sacks. Our secondary seemed to play somewhat more aggressive, but that was due in large part to an illusion created by poor misdirected Browns passing and an unbelievable number of gimme dropped passes. If the Browns weren't trying to give the game away, it could have gotten very ugly very quickly.

awtysst
11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
I vote for Sean McDermott, the Philadelphia Eagles secondary Coach. He has been under Jim Johnson's tutelage for 10 years. Jim Johnson is known for strong defenses with creative blitzing. I think this is guy we should get.

Jackie Chiles
11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I vote for Sean McDermott, the Philadelphia Eagles secondary Coach. He has been under Jim Johnson's tutelage for 10 years. Jim Johnson is known for strong defenses with creative blitzing. I think this is guy we should get.

I like him as well, mostly based on the PFW article someone posted earlier and my gut. Spagnuolo came from there and that defense seems like the hot ticket item in the NFL right now.

Wolf6151
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM

This is the best idea I've heard yet regarding a new DC.

Corrosion
11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I can't say for sure who was calling the defense, but the only really aggressive person on the D line was none other than Mario. He's the only one that I saw get close to the QB. The rest of the line was usually waltzing near the LOS with the partner of choice. And we were so much more aggressive that we saw 0 sacks. Our secondary seemed to play somewhat more aggressive, but that was due in large part to an illusion created by poor misdirected Browns passing and an unbelievable number of gimme dropped passes. If the Browns weren't trying to give the game away, it could have gotten very ugly very quickly.

I saw Demeco blitz a handfull of times , as well as the safety blitz on the play that Weaver got his INT .... That was a pretty nice package although I know a lot here dont like to see DE's in coverage .... they brought the same amount of players but disguised where they were coming from and it threw a monkey wrench in the QB's read.
I'd like to see more creative packages like that one rather than the same old stale defense we have seen the past two seasons. You dont always have to bring more attackers than they supply blockers .... You can also disguise where the heat is coming from and confuse not only the QB in his reads but the OL in their blocking assignments.

ChampionTexan
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Is anybody else scared the the College guy they might consider as a new DC would be Greg Robinson late of Syracuse? He was the DC at Denver for both Super Bowl wins. He started as DC the same year Kubes started as OC, and with the exception of his final year, he had some pretty good defenses. And he's obviously got a tie to Texas that was established prior to going to Syracuse.

Not saying I want it to happen (in fact, I'm saying I don't want it to happen), but for some reason, it wouldn't shock me if it did.

Second Honeymoon
11-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Couldn't agree more. I never had a problem with Capers other than him never calling Carr out and demanding more dedication and professionalism as our QB. Even Kubiak did that and did it his first year here. DC just didn't respond to it and was subsequently shown the door.

Second Honeymoon
11-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Is anybody else scared the the College guy they might consider as a new DC would be Greg Robinson late of Syracuse? He was the DC at Denver for both Super Bowl wins. He started as DC the same year Kubes started as OC, and with the exception of his final year, he had some pretty good defenses. And he's obviously got a tie to Texas that was established prior to going to Syracuse.

Not saying I want it to happen (in fact, I'm saying I don't want it to happen), but for some reason, it wouldn't shock me if it did.

It's probably the most likely guy that Kubiak would hire. I believe he was on the short list during Kubiak's initial changes but the Broncos season lasted too long that year and Kubiak couldn't make any moves or phone calls until the Broncos had been eliminated. By then everyone was taken on the short list...then they had to go to the 'sh*t list' which rewarded us with 3 years of Richard Smith's emasculated defense.

Goatcheese
11-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't know who the Texans should be looking at for DC. They're in a strange position, with their keepers in the front 7 an ideal fit for Tampa 2, but their DBs best suited to man.

CloakNNNdagger
11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Dom Capers could be an entertaining pick for our DC. But as far as I can recollect, no fired head coach has ever returned to their same team as an offensive or defensive coordinator.

nero THE zero
11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I think Jon Tenuta (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=417) would be a nice pick:
Jon Tenuta is the current assistant head coach and linebacker coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

On January 31, 2008, Tenuta was named assistant head coach/defense at the University of Notre Dame succeeding Bill Lewis. Tenuta enters his first season with the Irish and will coach the linebackers in South Bend. He started at Notre Dame on Feb. 18 after having worked at Georgia Tech since 2002.[1]

Tenuta is the former associate head coach and defensive coordinator of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. In the wake of the November 26, 2007 firing of Georgia Tech head coach Chan Gailey, Tenuta was named Interim Head Coach, but was not retained by incoming head coach Paul Johnson. He also coached the Yellow Jackets' defensive backs[2] and was one of the highest paid coordinators in college football.
Now in his sixth season as Georgia Tech's defensive coordinator, Jon Tenuta has brought to the Rambling Wreck an aggressive, attacking scheme, forged in his 26 years of experience as a defensive coach. In 2006, Tenuta was promoted to Associate Head Coach. He also coaches the Yellow Jackets' defensive backs.

Over the last three seasons, the Yellow Jackets have ranked in the Top 30 nationally in total defense, scoring defense, rushing defense and pass efficiency defense each year., including 20th or higher against the run all three years.

Tenuta assembled another outstanding defense in 2006, despite losing six starters from the previous year. Last year's unit ranked ninth in the nation in pass efficiency defense, 20th in rushing defense, 27th in total defense and 27th in scoring defense. The Tech defense held eight opponents to one offensive touchdown or less.

From last year's Tech defense senior tackle Joe Anoai and junior safety Jamal Lewis were named first-team all-Atlantic Coast Conference, linebacker Philip Wheeler and defensive end Adamm Oliver, both juniors, made the all-ACC second team, and senior linebacker KaMichael Hall earned honorable mention recognition.

In Tenuta's first five seasons, 15 Yellow Jacket defenders have earned first or second-team all-ACC recognition, and 15 players from his first four units have either been drafted or signed NFL free agent contracts.
Tenuta came to Tech in 2002 after one season at North Carolina, which he guided to become the top-rated defense, statistically, in the ACC in 2001. Under Tenuta, the Tar Heels led the ACC in total defense and pass defense while ranking third in run defense and scoring defense. Two members of that defense were first-round picks in the 2002 NFL draft.

Tenuta previously served as a defensive coordinator at five other schools, including Marshall (1987), Kansas State (1988), SMU (1990-94), Ohio State (2000) and North Carolina (2001).

He helped develop several defensive backs into NFL players, including first-round draft picks Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield, Ahmed Plummer and Nate Clements from Ohio State. Springs was the 1996 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team all-America, while Winfield won the 1998 Jim Thorpe Award.

Ohio State's pass defense was consistently ranked among the nation's best during Tenuta's tenure.

HOU-TEX
11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
I reckon our future DC is already on the coaching staff. IF or WHEN SmithDC is whacked, Bush or Franklin will be annointed our new DC. Most likely it will be Bush considering when Kubiak came here it was made public that he wanted Bush.

Just my .02 :)

Porky
11-26-2008, 08:42 AM
I vote for anyone not named Richard Smith. If that means hiring Grandpa Jones from the PeeWee league, I'm for it. :bat:

CloakNNNdagger
11-26-2008, 08:47 AM
I vote for anyone not named Richard Smith. If that means hiring Grandpa Jones from the PeeWee league, I'm for it. :bat:

I believe he's already taken and busy screwing up the Cowgirls.:texflag:

HOU-TEX
11-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Agreed! Remember the ABC (Anybody but Carr) term? How about ABSDC (Anybody but SmithDC)?

The1ApplePie
11-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Kirby Smart of Alabama. Good with 4-3 and 3-4 and a Muschamp udnerstudy

noxiousdog
11-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I reckon our future DC is already on the coaching staff. IF or WHEN SmithDC is whacked, Bush or Franklin will be annointed our new DC. Most likely it will be Bush considering when Kubiak came here it was made public that he wanted Bush.

Just my .02 :)

I will be so angry when this happens, and I totally think it will.

If the plan is to promote one of them, then Smith should have been fired back in week 4 to see if Bush or Franklin would have an impact with the same players.

mussop
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I agree! If he is going to replacde Smith with a current staff member then he needs to do it now on an interim term to see if its workable. It wuld be foolish to wait until the season is over.

Hervoyel
11-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree! If he is going to replacde Smith with a current staff member then he needs to do it now on an interim term to see if its workable. It wuld be foolish to wait until the season is over.

Unfortunately "Foolish" is almost the Texans middle name. They're almost assured of doing it and as usual screwing themselves in the process while trying to maintain that high road character and stability that Bob McNair prizes over everything (including wins).

HOU-TEX
11-26-2008, 11:09 AM

I might agree with this if it were done on a bye week. Is 1 week enough time to install whatever scheme you'd like to run in order to solidify the job? Or enough time for the players to learn and buy into it? I don't think so.

If it was truly just an interim thing and not an actual tryout for the position, then sure, do it.

Either way, I think most will agree that darn near anybody would be more suitable to run this defense.

feebleminded
11-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Dom Capers could be an entertaining pick for our DC. But as far as I can recollect, no fired head coach has ever returned to their same team as an offensive or defensive coordinator.

Gunther Cunningham is the only one that I can think of. Although that situation was so much different than Capers situation with the Texans. It would be difficult to envision Capers coming back here under any circumstance.

Texans_Chick
11-26-2008, 12:31 PM

At least this Chief's fan isn't very high on Robinson. He makes the list of the worst coaches in Chief's history (http://www.georgeblowfish.com/chiefspage5.html) according to some fan:

Greg "Dr. Evil" Robinson

Here's another qualified candidate for the all-time worst assistant coach in Chiefs history. Mix in a spoonful of Bob Boone, a dash of Mike Martz, toss in two questionably-earned Super Bowl rings and dump in an extra big ol' serving of Austin Power's nemesis, shake well and you get....Greg Robinson! In 2001 when KC's defensive-minded head coach Gunther Cunningham's termination was announced over the internet (before Gun even knew it was a done deal), new head coach "Grandpa Dick" Vermeil admitted he was primarily an offensive-minded guy. Grandpa Dick wanted to turn the defensive reins over to one highly qualified man, delegate the defensive duties to that man and stay out of the way. His choice was Dr. Evil, who had been fired after the 2000 season by Denver's Mike Shanahan.

Dr. Evil flashed two Super Bowl rings courtesy of John Elway, and "The Scheme." Yep, "The Scheme." That's how the defensive players all described it, although none of them could ever explain exactly what "The Scheme" was. The general explanation was to call it a read and react defense based primarily on cover two or cover three protections with a variety of zone blitzes and coverage packages intermingled. The object was to confuse the enemy with complexity. In reality, the only confusion was created in the minds of Chiefs defenders. "The Scheme" was your basic Chinese fire drill.

Defensive players were shuttled on and off the field like chorus girls in a Broadway show. Players were often confused about who went where and why. Bizarre stunts were employed. Speed rushing defensive ends dropped back in pass coverage; and nobody ever seemed to know who was responsible for what gap. The result? In 2001 it was awful pass coverage by Toasty Warfied and Crispy Bartee resulting in a defense ranked 23rd in the NFL. In 2002, a horrendous "32 defense" was concocted that sucked like a hoover in all phases; giving up an average of 390 offensive yards per game.

Dr. Evil then convinced Grandpa Dick that the loss of Jerome Woods and Ryan Sims to injury was the main defensive problem. Getting Woods and Sims back healthy and plugging in a few defensive free agents would fix the mix. So after suffering with a defensive unit ranked dead last in the NFL, the 2003 Chiefs drafted a running back in the first round, pulled in free agents Vonnie Holiday, Dexter McCleon and Shawn Barber and retained the services of Dr. Evil to mastermind the defense for another season. The result? The Chiefs ranked 29th in the NFL in total defense and were 30th against the rush giving up 146 ground yards per game. Ugly regular season performances against Denver and Minnesota were only a preview of the disaster that was to come: the home playoff game against the Colts.

The Chiefs with a first round playoff bye had two weeks to prepare. The Colts had endured a hard hitting Wild Card game with Denver the week before. The KC weather was perfect for January, a cloudless sky and low 50's temperatures. More than 79-thousand rabid Chiefs fans provided a deafening roar and a sea of red, anxious to exorcise the demons of first round home playoff losses to Denver in 1997 and to these same Colts in 1995. The Colts won the toss. The Chiefs never stopped them. The Colts had eight possessions; scored on six. They never punted. Not once. They ran out the clock at the end of the first half and end of the game. The one time the Chiefs actually stopped Peyton Manning on third down, they were penalized for having 13 guys on the field. Manning was 22 of 30 for 304 yards, three TDs and no picks. The Chiefs forced no turnovers. In a game that became a wild offensive shootout, the Colts won 38-31 and moved on to New England for the AFC Championship game.

The loss set an NFL record as no team had ever before managed to lose three consecutive home playoff games following a bye week. No NFL team since 1975 had started the season 9-0 and lost their first playoff game. Dr. Evil had made history. He scurried off the field following the debacle shielded by five security guards, then hid from the press in the locker room until he was spotted by reporters trying to sneak out the back door. Three days later, in a tear-soaked hug fest press conference, Grandpa Dick accepted Dr. Evil's "resignation," which was totally unnecessary because Dr. Evil's three year contract had expired. He was technically no longer employed by the Chiefs.

Grandpa Dick wailed and gnashed teeth over the departure, and questioned the manhood of the local antagonistic reporters on hand for the press conference. He challenged the reporters to measure up to the shining example of dignity and grace exhibited that day by the esteemed Dr. Evil. Grandpa Dick said few people have the "balls" of Dr. Evil to resign in such a public forum. At least Grandpa Dick didn't have the "balls" to saddle Chiefs fans and players with another year of "The Scheme." Robinson took "The Scheme" to the University of Texas as their defensive coordinator in 2004, and in 2005 he was Head Coach at Syracuse!

Gee, it sounds a lot like the current Texans defense.

mussop
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I might agree with this if it were done on a bye week. Is 1 week enough time to install whatever scheme you'd like to run in order to solidify the job? Or enough time for the players to learn and buy into it? I don't think so.

If it was truly just an interim thing and not an actual tryout for the position, then sure, do it.

Either way, I think most will agree that darn near anybody would be more suitable to run this defense.

What are you tlaking about? There is 5 weeks left for a new DC to show something. This is exactly my point. If Kubiak is giong to do it he needs to do it now before its to late and the DC doesnt have a real chance. I know 5 weeks aint much but hey any real improvent would be a positive sign and a jump start on next year.

noxiousdog
11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
What are you tlaking about? There is 5 weeks left for a new DC to show something. This is exactly my point. If Kubiak is giong to do it he needs to do it now before its to late and the DC doesnt have a real chance. I know 5 weeks aint much but hey any real improvent would be a positive sign and a jump start on next year.

4. They certainly aren't changing before Sunday.

And of those last 4, who knows if the last two mean anything due to players of playoff teams resting.

Sal Rosenberg
11-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Is Kubiak friends with a DC who is a stud at play calling?Dom Capers maybe .AHH GOTCHA

ChampionTexan
11-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Or (he said hopefully) he's already decided Richard Smith is out, and the new DC will come from the outside. If that's the case, it would simply be putting Bush in a no-win situation without really needing to.

Specnatz
11-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I think Jon Tenuta (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=417) would be a nice pick:

A: He runs a 3-4, and I am not sure he likes 4-3 schemes.

B: He makes the Buddy Ryan seem like Richard smith when it comes to blitzes. He blitzes so much that is becomes a detriment more than it helps.