PDA

View Full Version : Ahman to likely go on IR: BRING DARIUS BACK!

valleytexfan
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6131833.html

Darius could help RIGHT NOW. He's not the savior, but he wasn't a handicap either.

rollinstone18
11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to that. Slaton isn't a workhorse. Dude needs a breather once in a while.

disaacks3
11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
The Texans are expected to place running back Ahman Green on injured reserve today, ending his season, and, in all probability, his career in Houston. Mr. Glass Link - chron story (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6131833.html)

disaacks3
11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
sorry mods...can you delete this one or merge?

Corrosion
11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Dunno why they dont just cut and run ....

Carr Bombed
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Well that's the last we'll see of Green......sucks that didn't work out, but it was kinda obvious after he left green bay he didn't have much heart.

So who are we drafting this year.....another mid round back (but a bruising back).

Grams
11-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Think Darius was picked up by the Rams.

Carr Bombed
11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but........I wonder what kinda shape Ron Dayne is keeping himself in these days. If I could do it all over again I would've cut Green and kept him, he wasn't a bad short yardage back (which is all we need)....hell that was the only thing Ron could do.

BuffaloglennTX
11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Well that's the last we'll see of Green......sucks that didn't work out, but it was kinda obvious after he left green bay he didn't have much heart.

So who are we drafting this year.....another mid round back (but a bruising back).

Green was a gamble for the Texans and they lost. Had he stayed healthy, we would all have #30 shirts to wear to the games. I don't think a lack of heart was his problem, just age and years of pounding taking their toll. If you saw the goal line run for a touchdown he had against Indy I think, it should let you know that his heart was not the problem.

So who do you like at RB in the '09 draft? We certainly need depth and someone that can pound it.

Carr Bombed
11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
We need a thumper.....somebody that will crack some skulls to complement Slaton's speedy style.

DiapHer
11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
You couldn't be further away from the truth about Green not playing with heart!!!! Ask any player on the team Ahman was one of the hardest working members on the team during practices...age has taken its toll on him PERIOD.

Arky
11-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Think Darius was picked up by the Rams.

Yep, he's on the Rams practice squad.

Edit: but I suppose they could still sign him

Porky
11-25-2008, 01:18 PM
That guy could break an ankle falling out of bed. Good luck, good bye, and good riddance.

Carr Bombed
11-25-2008, 01:24 PM
You couldn't be further away from the truth about Green not playing with heart!!!! Ask any player on the team Ahman was one of the hardest working members on the team during practices...age has taken its toll on him PERIOD.

Yeah, maybe I'm being too harsh on him....it's just during the time he was here, every single time he had any kind of knick he would shut it down. Kinda like the guy had to be absolutely 100% or he wouldn't take the field. I think that's one of the reasons why Smith got him to restructure his contract...(word on the street is he had to restructure his contract or he was going to be cut bait)....maybe they thought he'd try to play through more injuries.

cuppacoffee
11-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't believe I'm about to ask this, but........I wonder what kinda shape Ron Dayne is keeping himself in these days. If I could do it all over again I would've cut Green and kept him, he wasn't a bad short yardage back (which is all we need)....hell that was the only thing Ron could do.

And you would have made a wise move.

Ron Dayne

194 carries 773 yards for a 4.0 average, longest run was 39 yards.
17 receptions for 112 yards for a 6.6 average longest was 17 yards
Scored 6 touchdowns

Ahman Green

74 carries for 294 yards for a 4.0 average, longest run was 14 yards.
11 receptions for 32 yards for a 2.9 average longest was 8 yards.
Scored 3 touchdowns.

Stats from:

http://www.nfl.com/players/search?

Kubiak may be a 'qb guru' but, to be blunt, his 'rb guru-ness' is kind of 'sucky'.

:coffee:

Mr teX
11-25-2008, 02:01 PM
that's great news! So.............How much money did we save? Someone calculate that please.

Mr teX
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM

yes, they can. Practice squad players can be signed by any team at any time.

infantrycak
11-25-2008, 02:21 PM
that's great news! So.............How much money did we save? Someone calculate that please.

For now the only thing they will save are the $200k per game bonuses for being on the active roster. His base salary is guaranteed as a vet.

TEXANRED
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM
If Green was a horse he would have been taken out to the back forty and shot.

gtexan02
11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Yall can complain about Green all you want, but he did pretty well when he was in there. Im sure glad we had him for as long as we did. Slaton would have been run into the ground, otherwise

TheRealJoker
11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
The Redskins just released Shaun Alexander...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/25/redskins-release-alexander/

Sal Rosenberg
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
The Redskins just released Shaun Alexander...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/25/redskins-release-alexander/

I say pick him up QUICK

texanfan2002114
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Texans sign Darius Walker to practice squad..

"and the Texans signed running back Darius Walker to the practice squad Tuesday for additional depth."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4920

gtexan02
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
uhhhhh, thats not true at all. He plays for the Rams PS

Drew_Smoke
11-25-2008, 03:25 PM

They could but they would have to put him on the active roster, I believe.

Hardcore Texan
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Texans sign Darius Walker to practice squad..

"and the Texans signed running back Darius Walker to the practice squad Tuesday for additional depth."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4920

This is good news about Walker, he's reliable and serviceable and we are hurting at the position. Also listen to the video on the main site about the RB's and Kubes said Sapp will be the #3 this week. So it's Slaton, Moats, and Sapp. I wonder if and when Walker gets activated.

I really hope they are careful with Slaton and don't run him in the ground.

Hardcore Texan
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
uhhhhh, thats not true at all. He plays for the Rams PS

Maybe they released him.....either that or the article is wrong.

HOU-TEX
11-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe they released him.....either that or the article is wrong.

Here it is:

Darius Walker-RB - Texans Nov. 12 - 1:14 pm et

Rams released RB Darius Walker from their practice squad.
The team also had in Najeh Davenport and 2007 Bills fourth-round pick Dwayne Wright for free agent tryouts Tuesday, but neither signed. Walker's best bet for a "rebirth" would be in a zone-blocking or draw-friendly system.

Darius Walker-RB- Texans Nov. 25 - 4:15 pm et

Texans signed RB Darius Walker to their practice squad.

Released last week by the Rams, Walker is back on the Texans' depth chart thanks to Ahman Green landing on injured reserve. He could get a look backing up Steve Slaton, but for now he's behind Ryan Moats.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=4160

El Tejano
11-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm only saying this because I'm thinking of knowledge of the offense but why can't we bring in Chris Taylor?

Carr Bombed
11-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Does this mean "Wednesdays with Walker" is back on. :cool:

drewmar74
11-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Does this mean "Wednesdays with Walker" is back on. :cool:

I dunno.

I hated to see him go when he was cut. He was never flashy but his big ole forehead did a good job of getting enough yards and seemed to do well in the 'one-cut-and-go' scheme.

Glad to have our lil' klingon back.

Jottoz
11-25-2008, 05:31 PM
So here we go again with Walker

Thorn
11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
So here we go again with Walker

Yeah, Walker doesn't excite me that much. But we gotta have someone to help carry the load, 'cause we are gonna wear Slaton down to quickly if we don't. At this time of the year, we probably aren't going to do much better than Walker, and he knows the plays, so why not?

jaayteetx
11-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm only saying this because I'm thinking of knowledge of the offense but why can't we bring in Chris Taylor?

Hes on IR.

Honoring Earl 34
11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Man ... I wanted to draft two backs this year because I thought the draft was deep at RB . Oh well we have Brink .

mexican_texan
11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Man ... I wanted to draft two backs this year because I thought the draft was deep at RB . Oh well we have Brink .
That's Sir Brink, thankyouverymuch.

PapaL
11-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Moats needs some carries. I think he looks good everytime I see him.

Guess we need a blocking TE in more now since we just lost our best blitz pickup RB (unless we're going to start seeing Leach out there more).

Thorn
11-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Moats needs some carries. I think he looks good everytime I see him.

Guess we need a blocking TE in more now since we just lost our best blitz pickup RB (unless we're going to start seeing Leach out there more).

So there's an idea, just use Leach to run the ball more to give Slaton a break. Leach runs pretty hard and can hit. Not quite sure how fast he is though.

Insideop
11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Green was a gamble for the Texans and they lost. Had he stayed healthy, we would all have #30 shirts to wear to the games. I don't think a lack of heart was his problem, just age and years of pounding taking their toll. If you saw the goal line run for a touchdown he had against Indy I think, it should let you know that his heart was not the problem.

So who do you like at RB in the '09 draft? We certainly need depth and someone that can pound it.

One of the names that's out there floating around is Shonn Greene. He's 5'11" and 235 lbs. He plays at Iowa and they say he's been "a beast" this year. Not sure if he fits the style (ZB scheme/one cut and run) type of RB Kubes/Smith are looking for, but he is a pounder from what I hear/read. Walter Football rates him, as of Oct 11th, as the 11th best RB and a 3rd or 4th round selection.

Another selection could be Rashad Jennings. He's listed at 6'1", 232 lbs and plays at Liberty (1AA school). Walter Football rates him the 10th best RB and also a 3rd or 4th round selection.

Personally, I think I would go with Greene. He may be a little slower than Jennings but he is more of a power RB and has played against stiffer competition (Big Ten). JMHO!

awtysst
11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
One of the names that's out there floating around is Shonn Greene. He's 5'11" and 235 lbs. He plays at Iowa and they say he's been "a beast" this year. Not sure if he fits the style (ZB scheme/one cut and run) type of RB Kubes/Smith are looking for, but he is a pounder from what I hear/read. Walter Football rates him, as of Oct 11th, as the 11th best RB and a 3rd or 4th round selection.

Another selection could be Rashad Jennings. He's listed at 6'1", 232 lbs and plays at Liberty (1AA school). Walter Football rates him the 10th best RB and also a 3rd or 4th round selection.

Personally, I think I would go with Greene. He may be a little slower than Jennings but he is more of a power RB and has played against stiffer competition (Big Ten). JMHO!

I actually prefer Jennings. He is a little bigger and actually was doing well at Pitt before he transfered for Family reasons. Plus I like his potential speed and size. He would be a guy that could move the pile and get those tough third and shorts.

I wouldn't mind either, but right now, I prefer Jennings.

Also, just to think outside of the box, how about a Jovorski Lane? He could line up and basically fall forward for a couple of yards. Plus he is bigger than most DEs so he would be a tough task to tackle. He wont beat you in a foot race, but he could be opur version of a Jerome Bettis. Pound it up Lane and then let little Slaton beat them to the corner, Willie Parker style...

Norg
11-25-2008, 10:20 PM
What happend to brown is he finally healthy yet

And walker is not even on our team anymore

drewmar74
11-25-2008, 10:31 PM
What happend to brown is he finally healthy yet

And walker is not even on our team anymore

Good morning, Norg. Glad to see that you read the previous two pages of posts.

Just to catch you up, though, Brown was IR'd with a back injury before the season started. It's probably a career ender.

Walker was on the Rams' PS. He was let go off of their squad and we picked him up and put him on our PS for about the 37th time.

You may proceed, JohnsonFan.

barrett
11-25-2008, 11:46 PM

are you out of your mind? his body gave up on him. did you see him score that touchdown against indy? when have you EVER seen a texans running back attack like that? never.

he had plenty of heart. he played hard for us when healthy. i wish him the best.

leebigeztx
11-26-2008, 12:47 AM
The rb situation shouldve been slaton,walker and Brown or Green but not both and Taylor. once it was deemed Brown,Green, and Taylor couldn't stay healthy, a guy like Davenport shouldve been signed and cut the others. I'm still wondering what wrong with Davenport as far as a big fast quick foot back, who can also handle special teams and 3rd down. Walker and Slaton will be fine. In the offseason, offer the raiders a 4th for bush, resign or keep walker and roll into next offseason with slaton,bush, and walker along with leach and maybe a lorenzo neal.

beerlover
11-26-2008, 02:22 AM
The rb situation shouldve been slaton,walker and Brown or Green but not both and Taylor. once it was deemed Brown,Green, and Taylor couldn't stay healthy, a guy like Davenport shouldve been signed and cut the others. I'm still wondering what wrong with Davenport as far as a big fast quick foot back, who can also handle special teams and 3rd down. Walker and Slaton will be fine. In the offseason, offer the raiders a 4th for bush, resign or keep walker and roll into next offseason with slaton,bush, and walker along with leach and maybe a lorenzo neal.

wow just think the Texans brain trust put all their eggs in one basket with Ahman Green, Chirs Brown & Chris Taylor rolling out the 08 53 man roster. so many, many oversights/needs its difficult to figure out where to start, but your plan is at least sensible.

my bet is they have to upgrade the RB position in the draft to at least another 3rd. a power back who compliments the speed back between the tackles in short yardage who runs north to south with some sustainable weight & endurance is in order. Clemson RB James Davis is just such a back around 5-11 210 pounds I think he could fill Greens shoes immediately as he shares carries with C.J Spiller so to w/Steve Slaton. hopefully he last to the 3rd rd. when the Texans select :)

HJam72
11-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Good morning, Norg. Glad to see that you read the previous two pages of posts.

Just to catch you up, though, Brown was IR'd with a back injury before the season started. It's probably a career ender.

Walker was on the Rams' PS. He was let go off of their squad and we picked him up and put him on our PS for about the 37th time.

You may proceed, JohnsonFan.

Wait a minute. What happened to Dominick Davis? :foottap: :)

Malloy
11-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Wait a minute. What happened to Dominick Davis? :foottap: :)

He and Babin are hosting the team BBQ this weekend!

MannyFresh
11-26-2008, 08:06 AM

They seem to gamble a lot with minimal results.

El Tejano
11-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I think it is great to have Walker back. I really liked him for our team. It concerns me about pass protection for the next 5 games coming up though.

I do hope that we break down and get a RB in the 1st or 2nd round. Ideally I would like to have Knoshawn Moreno and use our cap money on the D.

Vinny
11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
wow just think the Texans brain trust put all their eggs in one basket with Ahman Green, Chirs Brown & Chris Taylor rolling out the 08 53 man roster. Green has always been hurt since he arrived....Chris Brown has always been hurt since before he arrived and Chris Taylor has never survived a full NFL season. Great plan there.

scourge
11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Shaun Alexander was cut by the Redskins. No, I am NOT saying we need another past his prime RB, but for maybe we should take a look at him for a minimum contract for this season only... just to get us to the offseason.

Yankee_In_TX
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Green has always been hurt since he arrived....Chris Brown has always been hurt since before he arrived and Chris Taylor has never survived a full NFL season. Great plan there.

That's why I kept saying re-sign Dayne. I'm not saying there aren't better guys on the street (which for some reason the Texans can't or won't find), but given our roster back when, he might be the only man standing com November. Well, it's December, and...

I'm not sure what you do at this point. I don't think there's anything good on the street.

drewmar74
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
That's why I kept saying re-sign Dayne. I'm not saying there aren't better guys on the street (which for some reason the Texans can't or won't find), but given our roster back when, he might be the only man standing com November. Well, it's December, and...

I'm not sure what you do at this point. I don't think there's anything good on the street.

We could bring in Dookie to be our turd down back. Heck, he could probably be our no. 2!

SIGN DAVENPORT!

(I need the additional material)

mexican_texan
11-26-2008, 01:43 PM
We could bring in Dookie to be our turd down back. Heck, he could probably be our no. 2!

SIGN DAVENPORT!

(I need the additional material)
We could give him a one year deal. If he doesn't work out, we just dump him.

drewmar74
11-26-2008, 02:38 PM

I would hate to see that kind of potential flushed down the toilet.

Señor Stan
11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I would hate to see that kind of potential flushed down the toilet.

Exactly. Just put him in a laundry basket.

I think he would be a better fit on the Browns.

Maybe the Raiders and their "Commitment to Excrement"

drewmar74
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I think he would be a better fit on the Browns.

I agree. Their commitment to running inbetween the hash marks would suit him.

Don't be too quick to poo-poo his ability to help your team get a ring.

Yankee_In_TX
11-26-2008, 03:39 PM

I'm tired of that plan. Besides, we seem to sign broken backs to more than 1 year deals. (insert joke here).

TEXANS84
11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
According to my IPhone news chart, we signed Darius Walker off the St. Louis practice squad.

TexansLucky13
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
http://misunderestimation.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/DayneTD.jpg

You know you want him. Admit it.

mexican_texan
11-26-2008, 04:14 PM
According to my IPhone news chart, we signed Darius Walker off the St. Louis practice squad.
According to this thread, he was released by the Rams over a week ago

HJam72
11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
According to this thread, he was released by the Rams over a week ago

Maybe he still has the old, slow connection. :)

barrett
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Darius was signed to the practice squad on the 25th.

Specnatz
11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
» 11/26/2008 Signed CB Matterral Richardson to the active roster from the Washington Redskins' practice squad.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

mexican_texan
11-26-2008, 07:56 PM
» 11/26/2008 Signed CB Matterral Richardson to the active roster from the Washington Redskins' practice squad.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp
10/29/2008 Signed RB D.D. Terry to the practice squad.
Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Ryan Moats on Monday

drewmar74
11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Ryan Moats on Monday

Who did we let go off of the PS? That's two we brought in...

mexican_texan
11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Who did we let go off of the PS? That's two we brought in...
11/25/2008 Placed RB Ahman Green on the reserve/injured list. Signed RB Darius Walker to the practice squad. Released LB Justin Roland from the practice squad.
Signed TE Clark Harris to practice squad. Released RB D.D. Terry.
Signed G Anthony Oakley to the practice squad after G Brandon Frye signed with the Miami Dolphins to their active roster.
» 11/19/2008 Signed DE Jesse Nading to the active roster from the practice squad. Placed DE Earl Cochran on the reserve/injured list. Signed DT Gabe Long to the practice squad. confusing.