PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is a "brown" anyway

euro-Texan
11-22-2008, 07:34 AM
I've wondered that a while now. Well, let's jut say when the Texans are playing them, after that I rarely think about the Browns. Maybe it's short for Hash-browns? Cleveland might be the birthplace of the wafflehouse????

Or is Brown someone's last name? Someone who was really famous in Cleveland? Probably not someone who was famous for the Ravens though????

Does anyone know?

HJam72
11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
I believe it means dogs, or wild dogs. This week, I prefer to think of them as turds.

ChampionTexan
11-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I've wondered that a while now. Well, let's jut say when the Texans are playing them, after that I rarely think about the Browns. Maybe it's short for Hash-browns? Cleveland might be the birthplace of the wafflehouse????

Or is Brown someone's last name? Someone who was really famous in Cleveland? Probably not someone who was famous for the Ravens though????

Does anyone know?

They're named after Paul Brown - who was the General Manager and Coach when the franchise was founded, and was a very popular coach in Ohio - including a stint as the head coach of Ohio State. Brown later left the team named for him, and became the principal owner and coach of the Cincinnati Bengals when the AFL expanded in the late '60's.

RTP2110
11-22-2008, 07:42 AM
IIRC, I think they were named after the old owner, Paul Brown

texdawg
11-22-2008, 07:49 AM
The Brown's were named after thier coach Paul Brown. He was one of the most forward thinking and respected coaches ever in the history of football.

TURDS--wow never heard that one before.

HJam72
11-22-2008, 08:10 AM
I put a lot of brain cells into it. :mcnugget:

euro-Texan
11-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I'll accept the Paul Brown thing though It seems kind of odd that they kept the name after he left the organization, I still think it has something to do with Hash-browns...

HJam72
11-22-2008, 08:35 AM
They really like brownies. :thinking:

mexican_texan
11-22-2008, 08:50 AM
They should be the Cleveland Couches

nflnutswife
11-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I like the logo on their helmets!:slap:

HJam72
11-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I think they're also colorblind (or maybe I am) because those helmets look orange to me. They should be called the Oranges. Yeah, that's a perfect NFL name.

texanhead08
11-22-2008, 10:36 AM
They are named after Paul Brown the founder of the team. Isn't it ironic that the two ugliest uniforms in pro sports are associated with a man who was such a great coach. I guess he knew x's and o's but sucked at fashion.

HJam72
11-22-2008, 10:39 AM
So....we've finally devolved to arguing that our uniforms are prettier. :gun:

Old School
11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
So....we've finally devolved to arguing that our uniforms are prettier. :gun:

Hey!! We have to find something we can win at!!!!:cowboy1:

Sal Rosenberg
11-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Doo Doo Brown

Speedy
11-22-2008, 11:21 AM
What the hell is a "brown" anyway

I don't know, but I hope the Texans flush them.

Hardcore Texan
11-22-2008, 11:22 AM
A brown is the answer that 14 others provided above me but I didn't bother reading their posts and posted the explanation anyway, because I like being right, regardless of redundacy......:splits:

*disclaimer - you don't have to tell me, I already know I am a smartass.

ATX
11-22-2008, 11:59 AM
A color?

Browns
Reds
Blues

:thinking:

b0ng
11-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I just got finished taking them to the Superbowl a few minutes ago.

powerfuldragon
11-22-2008, 12:07 PM
per wikipedia they aren't named after paul brown:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Cleveland_Browns

[In 1946] A fan contest was conducted to determine the name of the team, with the most popular choice being "Panthers." However, Brown objected to the name after finding out it had been used by a semipro team in the city—one that had a reputation as a chronic loser. This prompted a second contest to choose a name befitting a champion. This contest yielded the nickname "Brown Bombers"—after reigning heavyweight champion Joe Louis—and was shortened to "Browns" for the convenience of headline writers. However, to this day, rumors persist that the team was named after Paul Brown himself.

Wolf
11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
A Brown is (like others said above) named after Paul, but I believe C Brown is a word for Injured often and has a hard time making in on the field to help carry the ball for the Texans

ATX
11-22-2008, 01:22 PM
per wikipedia they aren't named after paul brown:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Cleveland_Browns

Brown Bomber just doesn't sound right.......splash

mexican_texan
11-22-2008, 02:02 PM
A Brown is (like others said above) named after Paul, but I believe C Brown is a word for Injured often and has a hard time making in on the field to help carry the ball for the Texans
As far as I know, he's been hurt once with the Texans and it's a career-threatening injury.

Norg
11-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I hate the entire state of ohio is just so Mehhhhh

Hervoyel
11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm not a Browns fan by any stretch of the imagination but I can't get a lot of aggression going when we play them or get too fired up about wanting to beat them. I can't help it, I like these guys. Their fans got screwed just like we did and lost their team for no other reason than that their teams owner was a sack of crap. When the Browns came back I was kind of interested in seeing them do well. I didn't watch a bunch of their games and didn't become a Browns fan but I'm always kind of pulling for them. I can't help but think that if they can get back on track then so can we someday.

I'm glad the NFL has the Cleveland Browns around. I just wish it still contained the Houston Oilers. At least it's still got the Houston Texans.

Wolf
11-22-2008, 11:39 PM
you brought some memories back...
webster slaughter,kosar..frank minifield

Ernest byner , kevin mack

mancunian
11-23-2008, 09:24 AM
The Brown's were named after thier coach Paul Brown. He was one of the most forward thinking and respected coaches ever in the history of football.

he was and if it wasn't for him there'd be no West Coast Offence. Bill Walsh served under Brown and some of the WCO idea's he used are in fact Paul Browns.

Mailman
11-23-2008, 11:56 AM
"Why do they call it the Lombardi trophy?"

I used to think the genesis for Cleveland's name was common knowledge among most NFL fans. I must be getting older than I'm ready to admit.

J-Russ
11-23-2008, 12:01 PM
feces.

Corrosion
11-23-2008, 01:08 PM
A brown is that dark colored streak in the backside of your kids drawers.

Norg
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
i cant hate the browns either infact i pull for them there kinda the same team has us

But with that being said there is a freindly rivaly going between us we played each other alot almost every year