PDA

View Full Version : QB sneak: Romo lends a hand to homeless man

Corrosion
11-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Figure we could all use a good story today after many watch their money go to sh!t in the market again , the Texans suckage of a season and even McPurse and the Rockets not performing as many expect thus far.

QB sneak: Romo lends a hand to homeless man (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8821264?MSNHPHMA)

In a rags-to-riches story that might sound like the premise for a Hollywood production, a homeless man found himself being treated to the movies by multi-millionaire Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo recently, The Dallas Morning News reported on Thursday.

The man, who asked to be identified only as "Doc," was cashing in change at a Cinemark Theatre in Dallas when a stranger walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. The homeless man said he had planned to spend his day handing out fliers for a nearby consignment store and accepted a rain check before recognizing the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" he asked the theater worker.

Say what ya want about the Cowpies .... Romo's a class act. This isnt the first time he's done stuff like this.

mexican_texan
11-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Call me a skeptic, but that's a PR stunt if I've ever seen any.

TEXANS84
11-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I heard this story on Rome today, and its a great goodwill situation. Rome also mentioned that Romo stopped a couple weeks ago and helped a couple on the side of the road change a tire.

Texan_Bill
11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Heard the same stories on a few different shows today. What they failed to tell you was:
a) he fumbled the crow bar
b) he broke his pinky finger reaching in his pocket for his wallet at the theater.

:stirpot:

:jk: Just 'cause I hate the pokes doesn't mean they haven't had some decent, good folks on their teams.

WWJD
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Tony's a nice guy.

GuerillaBlack
11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Call me a skeptic, but that's a PR stunt if I've ever seen any.

Romo brought Will Smith to Lake Highlands High School in Dallas this week, too, at a school pep rally.

ATX
11-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Romo brought Will Smith to Lake Highlands High School in Dallas this week, too, at a school pep rally.

Maybe he can bring Jessica Simpson over to my place sometime since he's a nice guy and all. :thinking:

TimeKiller
11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
So he gave 7 bucks to a homeless guy so he could see a movie? This is news....how? I'm with mexican-texican, that's got PR written all over it.

He's probably a nice guy anyway.

TEXANS84
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Maybe he can bring Jessica Simpson over to my place sometime since he's a nice guy and all. :thinking:

Um, yeah...I agree. Check out the cover of this month's Cosmopolitain magazine. I dropped my jaw at the grocery checkout line.

Texan_Bill
11-21-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't get the whole infatuation with Jessica Simpson...

Signed,
Ima Liar :fib

Blake
11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah its a PR move. Why wouldn't they run this? Good guy that still has time to do nice things, unlike some millionaires out there.

BigWig
11-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Jerra is trying to cover up the rest of the badness that is the Boys.
PR stunt no doubt, and I am not inot Jessica at all, give me Kim Kardashian!

gtexan02
11-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think this is a PR stunt. Paying for 1 guy to go to the movies is just something he did, and it ended up being newsworthy because of who he was. I highly doubt he planned it

mexican_texan
11-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't think this is a PR stunt. Paying for 1 guy to go to the movies is just something he did, and it ended up being newsworthy because of who he was. I highly doubt he planned it
When I heard the news on the radio, they mentioned that Romo asked his publicist not to say anything. That has PR written all over it. I'm not saying he's not a good guy or that he didn't do this just to help out the guy, but this wouldn't get this kind of press without his PR people.

gtexan02
11-21-2008, 12:17 PM
So Romo goes to a movie theater, does a minor good deed, DOESNT tell the guy he's helping that he's Tony Romo, AND tells his publicist not to say anything----

and its a PR stunt to you?

What would he have to do for it not to be considered a PR stunt?

Of course these things get to the news. The homeless guy and the movie theater guy probably made a big deal about it, and word got around pretty quickly. What this says to me is that he probably does this type of thing a lot---and everyone once in a while people hear about it

BattleRedRaider
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
So Romo goes to a movie theater, does a minor good deed, DOESNT tell the guy he's helping that he's Tony Romo, AND tells his publicist not to say anything----

Of course these things get to the news. The homeless guy and the movie theater guy probably made a big deal about it, and word got around pretty quickly. What this says to me is that he probably does this type of thing a lot---and everyone once in a while people hear about it

It's a secret publicity stunt! [/Rat Race]

Showtime100
11-21-2008, 12:26 PM
PR stunt or not, it was a nice thing Romo did. Funny, stories like this NEVER seem to leak out about Skip Bayless.

mexican_texan
11-21-2008, 12:32 PM

And the press is supposed to believe a homeless man? This went through his publicist.

Texan_Bill
11-21-2008, 12:32 PM
PR stunt or not, it was a nice thing Romo did. Funny, stories like this NEVER seem to leak out about Skip Bayless.

Skip Bayless..... Translation - Asshat

Showtime100
11-21-2008, 12:36 PM
And the press is supposed to believe a homeless man? This went through his publicist.

I sure hope you were being sarcastic.

gtexan02
11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I sure hope you were being sarcastic.

Doubtful, unfortunately

StarStruck
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Doubtful, unfortunately

I agree because this seems to be the world we live in. In many situations, it's all about me and mine, and IF, by some CHANCE random acts of kindness occur, the person doing the giving want to be sure there are pictures taken, and publicity about the deed.

I have donated time to different causes and when the camera crew shows up, I make it a point to get away from any photo ops. Nothing against those who don't, but some people do indeed do random acts for the less fortunate by nature rather than for fame. Of course, no one would know me from Eve, but the point for me is do something without expecting something in return.

SheTexan
11-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Act of kindness would be to buy the guy a hot dog and a bag of popcorn! If he's homeless he's bound to be hungry! JMO!

StarStruck
11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Not necessarily. If that were the case it seems to me a hungry man would be seen at Williams Chicken instead of the theatre.:)

FILO_girl
11-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I am as much a disser on that team from southern OK as the next Texans fan...but I do like Romo.
Seems to be a decent, nice guy.
Just not down with the team he is associated with.