PDA

View Full Version : At issue: Texans tackling

Wolf
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
The Texans are the NFL's worst turnover team, at minus-13. Monday, we hit some on their propensity to give the ball away.

Another issue that pops up as a major concern is the Texans tackling. The inability of the team to get a handle on turnovers and get a handle on the ball carrier are the kind of issues that can kill a coaching regime. They suggest the big messages are not getting through.

Coach Gary Kubiak said the Texans drop off in tackling in the second half was a major reason for the team's 33-27 loss at Indianapolis.

Houston held the Colts to 12 carries for 37 yards in the first half, then gave up 117 rushing yards on 22 carries in the second half.

"One of the things for sure that we did not do as well in the second half that we did in the first half, we did not tackle as well," Kubiak said. "We knew that we were trying to force them to run the ball, and in the first half, we did an excellent job of tackling. When they were running the ball, those plays were two, three yard gains. We're playing the same type of defense in the second half, the same type of things and all of the sudden you miss a few tackles here or there and those become eight, nine-yard plays. So, that's all it takes for all of the sudden they go from doing something [ineffectively] to [effectively] and they were very committed to it. So, I think that was the biggest problem."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-6-123/At-issue--Texans-tackling.html

gtexan02
11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Translation - The colts weren't succeeding in the first half, so they made adjustments.
Meanwhile, the Texans went in with their gameplan and stuck to it no matter what.

The result? We're leading after halftime, but end up losing soundly.

BigBull17
11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
The reason we dont force turnovers is because we dont ever change things up. We do the same crap coverage scheme, while rushing 4. We also have unathletic, smallish defenders. Either get big fatties, or scary fasst smaller guys. Not smaller, unathletic guys.

gtexan02
11-19-2008, 08:01 AM
The reason we dont force turnovers is because we dont ever change things up. We do the same crap coverage scheme, while rushing 4. We also have unathletic, smallish defenders. Either get big fatties, or scary fasst smaller guys. Not smaller, unathletic guys.

I don't think it has anything to do with our players, but I do think it has everything to do with scheme and attitude.

The Texans have never been an aggressive defense. We've always been a "limiting" defense, meaning we're happy to give up 2 or 3 yarders as long as we don't give up 10 yarders.

The result is the opposing team has the ball for tons of time and marches right down the field. We always give a cushion and we always play the man, not the ball. Our players don't have ball skills at all. When they do get chances to make INTs, its because of a horrible throw or a tipped pass. I dont think I've seen the Texans make a play on a ball all year long. No jumped routs. No jump balls that go our way

hot pickle
11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Translation - The colts weren't succeeding in the first half, so they made adjustments.
Meanwhile, the Texans went in with their gameplan and stuck to it no matter what.

The result? We're leading after halftime, but end up losing soundly.

and thats the tail at the end of almost all texans games... stick to the gameplan and hope we dont lose to bad

nero THE zero
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Adibi made it to the ballcarrier a number of times in the backfield, only to let him slip away for a positive play. One of our biggest issues is our inability to stop running plays for a loss. Even running plays that are bottled up at the LOS end up going for a gain of 2 or 3. When that happens you are constantly putting yourself in 3rd and short situations, and, thus, our defense can never get off the field.

That's why a monster DT and some LB who can tackle are so desparately needed on this team.

gtexan02
11-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Again, I don't really see it as a personnel issue. We have the players and they have the ability to get to the ballcarriers.

But our coaches don't teach "big play" mentality.

We'd rather "stuff" the runner for a 3 yard game 9/10 times then take a chance on a negative play and end up giving up 6 yards

BuffaloglennTX
11-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Adibi made it to the ballcarrier a number of times in the backfield, only to let him slip away for a positive play. One of our biggest issues is our inability to stop running plays for a loss. Even running plays that are bottled up at the LOS end up going for a gain of 2 or 3. When that happens you are constantly putting yourself in 3rd and short situations, and, thus, our defense can never get off the field.

That's why a monster DT and some LB who can tackle are so desparately needed on this team.

I don't disagree on the monster DT and tackling, physical linebackers. Against Indy, however, we did have quite a few 3rd and 6 or better and Indy converted almost all of them. So our problem wasn't so much that we gave them easy short third downs, it's that we gave them easy longer third downs. I can't remember what we did against Baltimore as I blocked that game out of my head. We just sucked.

drewmar74
11-19-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't disagree on the monster DT and tackling, physical linebackers. Against Indy, however, we did have quite a few 3rd and 6 or better and Indy converted almost all of them. So our problem wasn't so much that we gave them easy short third downs, it's that we gave them easy longer third downs. I can't remember what we did against Baltimore as I blocked that game out of my head. We just sucked.

...which has been a recurring theme this season. It's been demoralizing.

*hey! that was 2000 posts!

dalemurphy
11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with our players, but I do think it has everything to do with scheme and attitude.

The Texans have never been an aggressive defense. We've always been a "limiting" defense, meaning we're happy to give up 2 or 3 yarders as long as we don't give up 10 yarders.

The result is the opposing team has the ball for tons of time and marches right down the field. We always give a cushion and we always play the man, not the ball. Our players don't have ball skills at all. When they do get chances to make INTs, its because of a horrible throw or a tipped pass. I dont think I've seen the Texans make a play on a ball all year long. No jumped routs. No jump balls that go our way

The Bills don't exactly have the most talented front 4, especially without Schobel. However, if you watched that game, different blitzes and fronts created havoc and allowed totally unblocked players to come free right up the middle. Why we can't do some of that is a mystery...

I realize that blitzing can be high risk. However, if your defense is going to get driven down the field anyway, why wouldn't you take some shots and at least make it uncomfortable... Besides, we have a good offense, it's not a bad thing to add a couple more posessions per game to it.

HJam72
11-19-2008, 09:23 AM
The reason we dont force turnovers is because we don't ever change things up. We do the same crap coverage scheme...

Bingo. :photos: