PDA

View Full Version : Texans Defense: The Worst NFL Defense Over the Last 4 Years

Texans_Chick
11-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Houston Texans defense: The NFL's worst over the last 4 years (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/11/the_houston_texans_defense_nfl_1.html)

You might say whoa, that's not true. And if you only rely on YPG, yes, the Texans haven't been ranked at the bottom of the league each and ever year for the last four years.

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders was kind enough to send me a spreadsheet of their proprietary ranks of defensive efficiency. They look at each play and compare them to league averages at similar down and distances. They also factor in strength of opponent.

The numbers are not pretty. Numbers don't play the game, and they are only one evaluation tool, but they basically confirm what you have seen.

And these stats don't even include the close to 30+ point, 500 yard performance that the Colts had.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Very interesting, TC.

I got my hands on something that may explain it.................the Texans' Playbook.

http://www.tenwaystofail.com/failure.gif

maddogmrb
11-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Houston Texans defense: The NFL's worst over the last 4 years (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/11/the_houston_texans_defense_nfl_1.html)

You might say whoa, that's not true. And if you only rely on YPG, yes, the Texans haven't been ranked at the bottom of the league each and ever year for the last four years.

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders was kind enough to send me a spreadsheet of their proprietary ranks of defensive efficiency. They look at each play and compare them to league averages at similar down and distances. They also factor in strength of opponent.

The numbers are not pretty. Numbers don't play the game, and they are only one evaluation tool, but they basically confirm what you have seen.

And these stats don't even include the close to 30+ point, 500 yard performance that the Colts had.

Thanks TC for the post and info. Didn't think we were quite that bad but, obviously we are struggling mightily. I have been as disappointed with Richard Smith's defenses as you have been. There seems to be no identity, no fluent game plan, no attack strategy and of course, a lack of talent at several positions. Lack of talent withstanding, this defense has underperformed every year and I believe that our staff has under utilized its talent versus a good staff that gets more out of less talented players. It is past time for a change in DC and philosophy (not that we seem to have one in the first place).

The1ApplePie
11-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Offensive Gameplan: Throw balls at Andre... Throw balls at Andre...
D Gameplan: Mario is a beast... Mario is a beast... Drop Mario into coverage

stingray
11-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, at least we lead in something!!!!!!!!

imatexan
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Soo look at the other teams who are rite there with us, they are all very good teams who have been dominating!

No worries here.:mcnugget:

Texans_Chick
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Offensive Gameplan: Throw balls at Andre... Throw balls at Andre...
D Gameplan: Mario is a beast... Mario is a beast... Drop Mario into coverage

The Texans offensive gameplan is not just throw balls at Andre.

Certainly he is someone you want to get the ball to, but the offensive touches have been spread around a ton, much to the unhappiness of fantasy players tempted to take Texans players.

barrett
11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
From the presser today, Kubiak seems pretty clear that he's sticking with the personnel that he has in place. I wonder if that's because of the organizations philosophy to evaluate at the end of the season or if it's because he still believes his defensive coaches are on the right track.

Texans_Chick
11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
From the presser today, Kubiak seems pretty clear that he's sticking with the personnel that he has in place. I wonder if that's because of the organizations philosophy to evaluate at the end of the season or if it's because he still believes his defensive coaches are on the right track.

I think that even if Kubiak wanted to run Richard Smith over in his car, he would say supportive stuff publicly in general of his coaching staff. It is not his way to make public tirades.

There's no point in crushing him to the public.

dalemurphy
11-17-2008, 11:43 PM
I think that even if Kubiak wanted to run Richard Smith over in his car, he would say supportive stuff publicly in general of his coaching staff. It is not his way to make public tirades.

It would make me feel better! Besides that warm feeling of vindication, it would also comfort me to know that Kubiak has the ability to assess the glaring problem on this team.

Seriously, though, I think he's encroaching on a dangerous area. He is totally dismissive of any blame being placed on the defensive coaching staff (he'll only refer to the staff as "us" in a very vague way) but he does get a little more specific blaming the players for: missing tackles and bad technique... And, while this isn't exactly throwing them under the bus, it could be seen as that by a bunch of guys who are frustrated with coaches not putting them in a position to succeed... Something to watch the rest of the season for. I did notice a lot more expressed frustration by the defensive players on the field the past two weeks.

Second Honeymoon
11-18-2008, 12:10 AM
totally agree dalemurphy.

i am sick of our defense and at times our offense playing so damn conservative and afraid to take chances. we are a 3 freakin win team!! what do we have to lose? isn't that one of the benefits of being a crap team? you can do things like go for it on 4th down. When was the last time Kubiak tried a surprise onside kick or a fake punt?

the team needs to come up a hell of a lot more excited as they are one of the flattest teams I watch every Sunday especially the defense. Yeah, they'll dance up a storm against the Bengals and Lions but anytime they face even a halfway decent team, they just punk out and get their arses whooped. just utterly pathetic.

Ya know, watching the Ravens play defense and display intensity play after play really reminded me how soft our defense is. All the defense is is a bunch of gentle giants and nice guys. TJ has a mean streak, but he sucks so hes irrelevant and Dunta isn't 100% so its tough for him to step into that role before he can fix his game and he is a DB for crying out loud.

When a DB is pretty much the only guy who has shown the ability to actually get physical and mix it up, you know your defense is soft. We need someone to lead this defense and to smack the other team in the mouth. I am still so irked we didn't go after Kris Jenkins this offseason. It showed me that the Texans weren't committed to winning and maybe taking a chance or two. Look at all the guys the Jets got? What makes them so freaking special? oh i know, they are actually trying to win a Super Bowl. It sounds crazy, but stranger things have happened and it wouldn't be happening if the Jets Front Office didn't dare to believe and take a chance on some new top dollar players.

Wolf
11-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I thought about that tonight and with the defense.. and had the same concerns as others about firing a DC right now... my thinking tonight is if you are going to do it, do it now! ...I would think if Frank Bush was to be promoted , you would think he was smart enough not to revamp the whole scheme right now and use what we had and tweaked it for now.. In the offseason (if that who is what we wanted to run it) , then do more... But just give the guys someone to believe in (I may be totally offbase, but not sure if the defense believes (as a whole) on what we are doing) ..

threetoedpete
11-18-2008, 01:29 AM
This game, the defense preformance was set up way back in August when they Kept the z man, Jeff Zgonina and cut Maddox. Once Travis Johnson went out with the knee it was over. Outside of Mario, they really can't get any pressure with the other six. Bullman and Cockeran are raipidly returning the investment we made in them. But they are stuck on bring heat with just four no matter what the results. What ever effects Zgonina brings to the locker room, we paid for it in spades yesterday in the second half. I understand a new coach trying to win a locker room...but Kubiak's stuborn bowed up neck is killing us with some of these veterans.

I'm still waiting for someone smarter than me to explain the toss sweeps in the first half. There has to be a reason they ran a play so slanted to the colts defense's favor. This is the only line we face that we actually out weigh. Plus the fact that our rookie LT is a mauler. He likes to run block. that's his strength. I mean if they saw something from the Pittsburg game on film, that's one thing...the stadegy in my mind defies all logic. I understand they had a donut going for it on fourth and short. I really do. But come on. If the gaurds & center suck that/this bad, they have to hide them, repalce them.

i don't get it. You'd expect them to put the guys in a positon to succeed , not to fail. One of them to the right on the goal line....Meyers gets a crisp block, Erick gets a knock down block..two guys down, and the defense still ate Slaton up. The play was doomed the moment they called it.

sakebomb
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm telling you it's the scheme. I know we are VERY weak in many positions on the defensive side of the ball. Other teams are not 11 strong on defense. I see guys all the time I've never heard of flying around the field making plays. Our guys don't look like they have a passion like other teams. They are just out there dying a slow death with no sense of urgency. That is on the coaching staff.

ChrisG
11-18-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.tenwaystofail.com/failure.gif
BY RICHARD SMITH

fixed it

spurstexanstros
11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Personally, it is what I have been saying for the last five.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CAN SOMEONE MAKE A STOP ON THIRD DOWN!!!!!!, PLEASE ANYONE!!!! please......."

Its usually followed by a whimper and maybe a tear if no one is around.

This has been our problem even in dc era...our d can not make stops. PERIOD and especially when they need it. when they do they win.

Thorn
11-18-2008, 02:02 PM
This has been hell for me because I love a good defensive team. I like the offense to put up points an all that, but I love it more when the hometown defense just crushes someone.

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

Porky
11-18-2008, 03:18 PM

It's one thing to say something like, we're going to assess the job that everyone in the organization has done after the season - blah blah blah.

It quite another to say what I heard him say on the news - we have the right coaches in place, we just have to figure out how to get more out of our players.

It was a complete vote of confidence. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it sure didn't make me a happy camper. He doesn't have to throw him under the bus, but he doesn't have to hold his hand over his head and call him champion either.

Ckw
11-18-2008, 03:26 PM
It's one thing to say something like, we're going to assess the job that everyone in the organization has done after the season - blah blah blah.

It quite another to say what I heard him say on the news - we have the right coaches in place, we just have to figure out how to get more out of our players.

It was a complete vote of confidence. Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it sure didn't make me a happy camper. He doesn't have to throw him under the bus, but he doesn't have to hold his hand over his head and call him champion either.

What worries me is whether or not this is going to anger the players at all. You know that they know something is wrong. In fact, all we have to do is go back to Dunta's comments a few weeks ago when he said he thought Gary was doing a good job but wouldn't comment on Dick Smith. I am pretty sure that is about how it went. Anyone have the link?

If Kubiak keeps blaming his players for not executing and doesn't hold the coaching staff accountable, then I am all for Kubiak getting the ax.

Second Honeymoon
11-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm telling you it's the scheme. I know we are VERY weak in many positions on the defensive side of the ball. Other teams are not 11 strong on defense. I see guys all the time I've never heard of flying around the field making plays. Our guys don't look like they have a passion like other teams. They are just out there dying a slow death with no sense of urgency. That is on the coaching staff.

i couldn't have put it better. we just flatline through the season and that starts up top. kubiak doesn't show much passion or fire and doesnt get too fired up and it is mirrored in the teams that he prepares for Sunday. The 'no talent' argument is BS imho. There is talent there, its just a horrible scheme and the players are asked to play what I would term 'soft' in both coverage and QB pressure. I just don't see what there is to lose....were 3 and freaking 7. the fanbase isn't happy and heads will roll...doubt its Kubiak this offseason but Smith is as good as gone and Kubiak will be on the hotseat next year.

The only way I see Kubiak getting canned is if they go 3-13 and only beating MIA, CIN, and DET....and I'm not sure that would even get him canned. definitely would make for a hotter seat in 2009 but something tells me McNair is too stubborn and proud to admit failure only 3 years into the 'prodigal' son's return....even if it stared him in the face.

Texans_Chick
11-18-2008, 07:52 PM
i couldn't have put it better. we just flatline through the season and that starts up top. kubiak doesn't show much passion or fire and doesnt get too fired up and it is mirrored in the teams that he prepares for Sunday. The 'no talent' argument is BS imho. There is talent there, its just a horrible scheme and the players are asked to play what I would term 'soft' in both coverage and QB pressure. I just don't see what there is to lose....were 3 and freaking 7. the fanbase isn't happy and heads will roll...doubt its Kubiak this offseason but Smith is as good as gone and Kubiak will be on the hotseat next year.

The only way I see Kubiak getting canned is if they go 3-13 and only beating MIA, CIN, and DET....and I'm not sure that would even get him canned. definitely would make for a hotter seat in 2009 but something tells me McNair is too stubborn and proud to admit failure only 3 years into the 'prodigal' son's return....even if it stared him in the face.

He doesn't show that emotion in press conferences. Nor does he show his buttocks during half time.

He does show plenty of emotion to his team.

I don't know why you refer to him as the prodigal son. That makes no sense given the Biblical story.

If we are getting all Biblical, I would suggest the Book of Job to decribe the Texans season. Or Acts has some relevant things. Lots of bad things happen to the early Christians and they are dispersed to many lands due to the persecution. But it turns out this is a good thing because it spreads God's word.

Sometimes out of bad stuff good things happen. But when you are in the midst of the bad stuff it is hard to figure out what that good stuff is going to be. During the middle of crisis you always have to be on the look out for opportunity.

imatexan
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
At least its not a 13-7 game every week, that would be way boring.

Double Barrel
11-19-2008, 10:49 AM
I've lost all confidence that this front office can pull it's head out of it's corporate butt. The fact that Richard Smith is still here just proves that they believe in magic fairies and pixie dust. Successful teams would have fired that dude a long time ago (and they probably never would have hired him as DC to begin with!!).

Instead, we get excuse after excuse every off-season. It stinks. Try not to step in it.

Wolf
11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I've lost all confidence that this front office can pull it's head out of it's corporate butt. The fact that Richard Smith is still here just proves that they believe in magic fairies and pixie dust. Successful teams would have fired that dude a long time ago (and they probably never would have hired him as DC to begin with!!).

Instead, we get excuse after excuse every off-season. It stinks. Try not to step in it.

DB do you or anyone else know any doctors in the Houston area? Maybe ones that could take their belly button out and insert a small piece of plexiglass or a small skylight? so while their head is up their ass, they can still see where they are going? :specnatz:

I can only dream

TexanRevolution
11-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know why you refer to him as the prodigal son. That makes no sense given the Biblical story.

If we are getting all Biblical, I would suggest the Book of Job to decribe the Texans season. Or Acts has some relevant things. Lots of bad things happen to the early Christians and they are dispersed to many lands due to the persecution. But it turns out this is a good thing because it spreads God's word.

Wow...and she even exegetes the Holy Scriptures. :bowdown:

Let's hope this experience leads to a "Revelation" of sorts.

http://www.aocc.org/angel.jpg

Wolf
11-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Sometimes out of bad stuff good things happen. But when you are in the midst of the bad stuff it is hard to figure out what that good stuff is going to be. During the middle of crisis you always have to be on the look out for opportunity.

Well TC, we do have Richard Smith and the Red Sea Defense ..

http://www.christiananswers.net/godstory/parting-sea.jpg

Texans_Chick
11-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Well TC, we do have Richard Smith and the Red Sea Defense ..

http://www.christiananswers.net/godstory/parting-sea.jpg

Bwahahaha.

I discuss more defensive stuff in my latest Chron blog post: Looking at Houston Texan coaching trees and how numbers can mislead (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/11/looking_at_houston_texan_coach.html)

When I was looking around at numbers, I noticed something peculiar that I thought was interesting...The most recent Football Outsider (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/week-11-dvoa-ratings-3) stats...

Look the teams at the bottom of the league with mostly the worst records.

Most of those teams rank poorly with both offense and defense. And some with special teams too. They are a catastrophe across the board.

The Texans' clear problem is defense. Just like it is with some other teams that have had better success than the Texans in recent years. They have needs on offense but they can work around those some. Defense is a mess.

Knowing that doesn't help the team much now, but it does suggest that fixing that area could fix a lot of things. That the Texans situation isn't as dire as some others in the league.

Jackie Chiles
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=outsiderswk12

Doesn't it just make you proud to be a fan? Every week its more stuff like this. Here are some snippets if people don't want to read the entire thing:

"A nice matchup against the Texans makes Jamal Lewis a great play. Football Outsiders calculates the difficulty of a player's matchup and compares it to his expected average performance in the 2008 season; the matchups with the biggest effect on player value are shown below.
Jamal Lewis, RB, CLE (16%)"

"Jamal Lewis (Browns, plus-16 percent): As bad as Houston's pass defense is, its run defense is much worse -- it's the league's worst, in fact. Until they spend yet another first-round pick on a defensive lineman, that's not going to change, which will work out well for Lewis this week. A 100-yard day is extremely likely."

"Brady Quinn (Browns, plus-12 percent): The Houston defense is the gift that keeps on giving. It's got three excellent players in defensive end Mario Williams, middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans and cornerback Fred Bennett. It's also got a few players who are simply awful, and they happen to make up the rest of the secondary. (Dunta Robinson is exempted, since he's not at 100 percent.) Quinn's shown the ability to be competent at the very least, which means that he can pick holes in the Texans' defense and be a good start in deeper leagues or as a No. 2 quarterback."

This is just follow up to what TC has been posting. According to their system Quinn and Lewis both have the highest increase in predicted output vs. their average output due to facing our defense. Nice.