PDA

View Full Version : Kubes live

Norg
11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
GO NOW

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2787&play_clip=Y

Hardcore Texan
11-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Can't wait to hear the perfect combintation of podium tapping and excuses.

Hardcore Texan
11-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Why does Christian Slater look sad?

Corrosion
11-17-2008, 04:39 PM
We cant tackle .... :thinking:

Vinny
11-17-2008, 04:39 PM
How can he say, "we played as clean as we can play" with a straight face? The defense was a no show. He seems oblivious to the fact that playing good defense wins games.

Hardcore Texan
11-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Why doesn't some one ask "how come the defense has not improved at all" or how come the defense gives up 30+ points per game".......how's he going to dodge that one?

Vinny
11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
a reporter said to Kubiak that Dunta said there were a lot of blow assignments on defense and Kubiak said he would disagree with that....that you are gonna have mistakes in a game.

Kubiak doesn't just accept mediocrity, he breeds it.

Hardcore Texan
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
"What you want is to have some plays that will offset mistakes" ......yeah, that's the message we want to send.....not let's eliminate the mistakes or minimize them.

And he just said Matt will throw this week and they feel good about him playing again this season..........loosely translated, Schaub is going to go on IR.

Showtime100
11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
I've seen more positive body language at execution announcements.

I didn't know about Matt. Don't think McClain did either.

EDIT: I'm tired, got the wrong name.

Thorn
11-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I've seen more positive body language at execution announcements.

I didn't know about Sage. Don't think McClain did either.

nevermind. I'll edit mine because Showtime edited his. LOL

Showtime100
11-17-2008, 04:53 PM
nevermind. I'll edit mine because Showtime edited his. LOL

I edited my post. But I didn't know Matt could be (or there was talk) of Matt being out for the season.

Hervoyel
11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I think he probably brings up Matt throwing and the Texans feeling good about him playing again this season just because it changes the subject and gets people off of his ass. Seriously, even if you (as I) think that it's meaningless that Kubiak says he thinks he'll play again this season you're still talking about how full of bull they are (as am I) instead of how crappy the defense played.

bah007
11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Anything about Slaton's "dead legs" this week?

Silver Oak
11-17-2008, 05:16 PM
would you guys be happier with a coach who would launch into a Dennis Green-like tirade? seriously, attacking Kubiak on his public speaking mannerisms is a waste of time IMO.

he's going to be the head coach next season so get over yourselves and get used to it.

TexanSam
11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Someone should have asked him about the Hail Mary thing he talked to Rosenfels about. We have the ball with a little under 2 minutes left and he tells Rosenfels don't do anything dumb so they can try a hail mary? WTF?

Carr Bombed
11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
would you guys be happier with a coach who would launch into a Dennis Green-like tirade? seriously, attacking Kubiak on his public speaking mannerisms is a waste of time IMO.

he's going to be the head coach next season so get over yourselves and get used to it.

Actually.......YES!

I want to see some attitude on this team, somebody needs to show some anger over the way we're playing. Not this "aw shucks, we just didn't execute" crap. I've been hearing that crap for 7 years now. When is somebody finally going to get pissed off, cause I sure as hell am.

Houston Texans..........where losing is accepted (and winning isn't expected).

This isn't coach pitch baseball and not everybody is a winner. Our media needs to be harder on the coaches as well......nobody ever wants to ask the hard questions.

Arky
11-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Someone should have asked him about the Hail Mary thing he talked to Rosenfels about. We have the ball with a little under 2 minutes left and he tells Rosenfels don't do anything dumb so they can try a hail mary? WTF?

I'm listening to 610am right now and Matt Jackson swears he's going to ask that very question when Kubiak is on between 5 and 6 pm...

bah007
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Actually.......YES!

I want to see some attitude on this team, somebody needs to show some anger over the way we're playing. Not this "aw shucks, we just didn't execute" crap. I've been hearing that crap for 7 years now. When is somebody finally going to get pissed off, cause I sure as hell am.

This isn't coach pitch baseball and not everybody is a winner. Our media needs to be harder on the coaches as well......nobody ever wants to ask the hard questions.

Exactly. There seems to be only a few organizations in football that don't hold their employees accountable for the product on the field.

Detroit for sure. The Texans come to mind as well.

SheTexan
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
How long does it take a rookie HC to grow up?? I'm serious. Kubes has been a coach for years, a HC for 3. Didn't he learn ANYTHING while he was working under Shanny?? He cannot game plan, poor time management, obviously has NO control over his DC, hires Shannys baby boy and then has to bring in Gibbs to "tutor" him as OC, hasn't yet learned how to prepare his team for the next game, makes 70,000+ fans on a Sunday aft scratch their head and wonder "what the HELL" is he doing?? Some people say "no blood, no guts, no glory!" I say "no brains, no BALLS, no glory!!"

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist, but, I believe our team is better than their record, and I believe they WANT to do better, WIN, and be proud of who they are. Our failure this season can be contributed to more than just bad luck, crappy corners, subpar QBs, and a D that plays worst than my grandson's six man football team. It falls on the MEN that walk the sideline or sit up in the booth. A team unprepared is a team destined for failure. JMO! Had to vent! Thank you!:shetexan:

Nawzer
11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm listening to 610am right now and Matt Jackson swears he's going to ask that very question when Kubiak is on between 5 and 6 pm...

Yeah I heard the same thing and if true it's unbelievable. I want to hear Kubiak's response to this.

drewmar74
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
How long does it take a rookie HC to grow up?? I'm serious. Kubes has been a coach for years, a HC for 3. Didn't he learn ANYTHING while he was working under Shanny?? He cannot game plan, poor time management, obviously has NO control over his DC, hires Shannys baby boy and then has to bring in Gibbs to "tutor" him as OC, hasn't yet learned how to prepare his team for the next game, makes 70,000+ fans on a Sunday aft scratch their head and wonder "what the HELL" is he doing?? Some people say "no blood, no guts, no glory!" I say "no brains, no BALLS, no glory!!"

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist, but, I believe our team is better than their record, and I believe they WANT to do better, WIN, and be proud of who they are. Our failure this season can be contributed to more than just bad luck, crappy corners, subpar QBs, and a D that plays worst than my grandson's six man football team. It falls on the MEN that walk the sideline or sit up in the booth. A team unprepared is a team destined for failure. JMO! Had to vent! Thank you!:shetexan:

*stands and applauds*

Beautiful.

Now, if we can only get Schottenheimer to come in off of the golf course....

scourge
11-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Does he necessarily need to go on a tirade? no. but answers by our coach like this...

a reporter said to Kubiak that Dunta said there were a lot of blow assignments on defense and Kubiak said he would disagree with that....that you are gonna have mistakes in a game.

[QUOTE=Hardcore Texan;1055217]"What you want is to have some plays that will offset mistakes" ......yeah, that's the message we want to send.....not let's eliminate the mistakes or minimize them.
QUOTE]

...are pathetic. He doesn't need to yell. He needs to admit problems and give answers on addressing them, not talk about how problems and mistakes are normal and we just need to have a good play for every bad one. I hope you don't honestly believe that the other 31 coaches in this league feel the same way. heck, even Marinelli isn't acting this way.

And yes, he will be our coach next season. But if next season is anything like this, he has no chance of returning in '10. Capers had 4 seasons and I am willing to bet that Kubiak won't get any more than that if this is how its going to be.

dalemurphy
11-17-2008, 06:02 PM
It frustrates me that he is willing to criticize the players for missing tackles and techinical breakdowns but won't say one single word about the performance of the coaching staff, other than the obligatory "we look at ourselves first".

I think they're going to lose the defensive players if they keep that up. It was evident the past 2 weeks how frustrated the players are. Gotta get rid of Smith now!

Texan_Bill
11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Well when Richard Smith looks in a mirror, he gets no refelction, no ....anything.

powerfuldragon
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Well when Richard Smith looks in a mirror, he gets no refelction, no ....anything.

Richard Smith would probably be way cooler if he were a vampire. he'd probably infect the entire D... Could you imagine DB's that could turn into bats at will? so many turnovers.

Texan_Bill
11-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Richard Smith would probably be way cooler if he were a vampire. he'd probably infect the entire D... Could you imagine DB's that could turn into bats at will? so many turnovers.

You may be on to something there PD. :)

Hardcore Texan
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM

yes sir, right away, thanks for setting us straight....:rolleyes:

I agree he will be the coach next season, in fact I have never advocated that I didn't want him here, because I think he deserves another year. I would prefer some more honest answers, especially about injuries and some freaking accountability with the defense. Instead of the same coach speak we get every week. Why even hold a press conference, all the answers are the same every week.

texan9885
11-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Can't wait to hear the perfect combintation of podium tapping and excuses.

that tapping is freakin annoying, lol

TexanSam
11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Some of Kubiak's quotes make it seem like he's lost confidence. But that may be because I read the article about Willis Wilson in the Chronicle and he mentions coaches losing confidence. I could be completely wrong

Silver Oak
11-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Actually.......YES!

I guess that's where our opinions differ then. I would much rather have ass chewings and anger be behind closed doors and out of the view of the public, other coaches, and players.

I'm a season ticket holder that's just as frustrated as any of you guys, but I surely don't want a raving maniac throwing players and coaches under the nearest bus at these news conferences. It's counter-productive and I don't think that appraoch is one Mr. McNair wants his coach to have.

Mr. White
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Just listened to him on 610. This guy has an excuse for everything.

Rex King
11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
It frustrates me that he is willing to criticize the players for missing tackles and techinical breakdowns but won't say one single word about the performance of the coaching staff, other than the obligatory "we look at ourselves first".

I think they're going to lose the defensive players if they keep that up. It was evident the past 2 weeks how frustrated the players are. Gotta get rid of Smith now!

True, he sounded he77a defensive when asked about clock management. This is all feeling disturbingly like the fall of the Capers empire - the complaints about coachspeak (need to look at ourselves vs. execution) and idiosyncrasies (the fishmouth and little black book vs. tapping the podium), Dunta subtly (or not so subtly) hinting at a need for a coaching change.

TexanSam
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
We should all mail Bill Cowher a giant card and send him a basket of goodies and a chocolate cake

eriadoc
11-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Aside from the occasional blow-up, I can't think of a coach that goes into a press conference and says the kinds of things that y'all think you want to hear. Coaches say their piece behind closed doors. Well, good ones who haven't lost the team do, anyway.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Just got home to post. In reviewing this thread, I haven't read anywhere where it is reported Kubiak said that the whole defensive game plan was centered around rushing as many players as would lead to getting to Manning. This is unbilievable in that I routinely saw the Colts O waltzing the Texans D into their own back field. How many sacks???...........I believe somewhat less than 1............and 320 yds passing? It is also unbelievable in that Kubiak was so complacent and oblivious to what he had just said.

Marcus
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
All this pissing moaning about how he taps the podium, or other idiosyncrasies, or the coachspeak, for God's sakes . . .

Will some of you pleeeeeaaase grow the hell up?

If you want to complain or second guess the coach's decisions, fine, that's all part of the second guessing.

But this ridiculing of his mannerisms or his character is childish, to say the least.

Silver Oak
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
All this pissing moaning about how he taps the podium, or other idiosyncrasies, or the coachspeak, for God's sakes . . .

If you want to complain or second guess the coach's decisions, fine, that's all part of the second guessing.

But this ridiculing of his mannerisms or his character is childish, to say the least.

:goodpost:

Texans Pride
11-17-2008, 08:39 PM

No, actually it isn't.

The message is 80% body language and 20% verbal. His "mannerisms" show a man who has settled into a patch of excuses, or is too deflated to battle it out.

Personally, I don't think he KNOWS what to do to fix the problem.

Specnatz
11-17-2008, 08:40 PM

May be; just maybe ... he does not throw anyone under bus during a presser like you want a coach to do so he loses the locker room.

awtysst
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
We need a Will Muscahmp like Defense Coordinator. We need a guy that gets pissed off and yells at players when they surrender a TD when they are up by 30. We need a guy that is full of emotion and brings a pumped up D that flies to the ball and plays with passion.

nut
11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
It's the same few guys (or girls) over and over defending Kubiak. You don't want a guy that shows emotion, why not, some emotion is required for a winning attitude. The Texans already go into their losing mentality whenever the chips are down. Look at our finishes. It's up to the coach to change that and he looks the most worried. You are afraid he will lose the team? You're kidding me. What does he do that commands your blind allegiance? If it's because he's an Aggie or you are his relatives, then that would explain the excuse-making for him. He picked all these sacrificial goats (ie. Smith) you people are trying to burn at the stake to keep him on his throne. This is exactly the same horse crap that most of you defended Carr with except you blamed the OL.

Marcus
11-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Ah yes, here we go again with the "no emotion or fire" horseshit.

:baby::crying:

maddogmrb
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM

I like that post :goodpost:

HoustonFrog
11-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Exactly. There seems to be only a few organizations in football that don't hold their employees accountable for the product on the field.

Detroit for sure. The Texans come to mind as well.

I agree too. It is a loser mentality.

As far as mannerisms, etc..take it from a Speech Comm major and an attorney...non-verbals go a long way and if you look defeated and make the same excuses week in and week out, then your b.s doesn't fly.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree too. It is a loser mentality.

As far as mannerisms, etc..take it from a Speech Comm major and an attorney...non-verbals go a long way and if you look defeated and make the same excuses week in and week out, then your b.s doesn't fly.

........but it sure does attract them.:mad:

Mr. White
11-18-2008, 07:40 AM
True, he sounded he77a defensive when asked about clock management. This is all feeling disturbingly like the fall of the Capers empire - the complaints about coachspeak (need to look at ourselves vs. execution) and idiosyncrasies (the fishmouth and little black book vs. tapping the podium), Dunta subtly (or not so subtly) hinting at a need for a coaching change.

I caught this too. I thought it was real lame when he tried to act like he didn't know what the caller was talking about. The caller was asking about clock management in general and Kubes pressed him for a specific example...he acted like he was surprised why anyone would ask that question.

I could care less about his mannerisms and body language.......I want a coach who is accountable.

Hardcore Texan
11-18-2008, 07:44 AM

No, actually it isn't.

The message is 80% body language and 20% verbal. His "mannerisms" show a man who has settled into a patch of excuses, or is too deflated to battle it out.

Personally, I don't think he KNOWS what to do to fix the problem.

Exactly. We are just tired of excuses and want some accountability in the form of a new DC. And we are very frustrated. It is not that hard to understand nor is it childish.

DerekLee1
11-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Why does Christian Slater look sad?

Because his show, My Own Worst Enemy, was canceled this week.

Silver Oak
11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
It's the same few guys (or girls) over and over defending Kubiak. You don't want a guy that shows emotion, why not, some emotion is required for a winning attitude. The Texans already go into their losing mentality whenever the chips are down. Look at our finishes. It's up to the coach to change that and he looks the most worried. You are afraid he will lose the team? You're kidding me. What does he do that commands your blind allegiance? If it's because he's an Aggie or you are his relatives, then that would explain the excuse-making for him. He picked all these sacrificial goats (ie. Smith) you people are trying to burn at the stake to keep him on his throne. This is exactly the same horse crap that most of you defended Carr with except you blamed the OL.

I did a quick once over of your 75 or so posts on this site Nut, and I found 100% of them to be negative about our players, coaches, and owner. You have some kind of agenda and I don't know what it is, but I believe you don't like this team at all and I have to question your presence here.

Mr. White
11-18-2008, 09:00 AM
I did a quick once over of your 75 or so posts on this site Nut, and I found 100% of them to be negative about our players, coaches, and owner. You have some kind of agenda and I don't know what it is, but I believe you don't like this team at all and I have to question your presence here.

Maybe so, but he has a pretty valid point.

Looks like Kubes is the new Carr.

Texans_Chick
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
We need a Will Muscahmp like Defense Coordinator. We need a guy that gets pissed off and yells at players when they surrender a TD when they are up by 30. We need a guy that is full of emotion and brings a pumped up D that flies to the ball and plays with passion.

No one yells and cusses more than Richard Smith.

Lots of coaches on the Texans defense are yellers and cussers. Of course, a lot of it is lost because a lot of these guys aren't terribly accomplished coaches that the team believes in.

Parcells can yell all he wants and abuse people because people respect his accomplishments. If an unaccomplished person does it, they are just considered an *hole.

Kubiak sometimes yells at his players. They like playing for him anyway. Kubiak doesn't yell or get otherwise deranged at his press conferences because there is no point in it. It would be a put on for him to do some sort of show at the press conference.

Tedc
11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
....................... your b.s doesn't fly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/bsflag.gif

eriadoc
11-18-2008, 11:04 AM
no one yells and cusses more than richard smith.

Lots of coaches on the texans defense are yellers and cussers. Of course, a lot of it is lost because a lot of these guys aren't terribly accomplished coaches that the team believes in.

Parcells can yell all he wants and abuse people because people respect his accomplishments. If an unaccomplished person does it, they are just considered an *hole.

Kubiak sometimes yells at his players. They like playing for him anyway. Kubiak doesn't yell or get otherwise deranged at his press conferences because there is no point in it. It would be a put on for him to do some sort of show at the press conference.

+1.

Showtime100
11-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Lots of coaches on the Texans defense are yellers and cussers. Of course, a lot of it is lost because a lot of these guys aren't terribly accomplished coaches that the team believes in.

I like your post and agree completely, but the beaten down body language speaks volumes because it's unintended and geniune.

HoustonFrog
11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/bsflag.gif

Nice work!It flies then, but not other times..lol

awtysst
11-18-2008, 06:32 PM

TC,
Its not just the yelling and screaming that Muschamp does, but its his scheme that fires up his players. He is fiery, passionate, and loud, but he combines that with excellent Defensive scheming. Look at what Duane Akina did last year for UT's defense. The Horns were reduced to an absolute joke with a Defense that rivaled the anything Richard Smith could have come up with. In comes Muschamp with many of the same players(and even rookies) and he transformed the D into an attacking phsyical Defense. THATS what we need. A guy that has passion and a good scheme. IE a guy like Muschamp.

Silver Oak
11-18-2008, 07:54 PM
TC,
Its not just the yelling and screaming that Muschamp does, but its his scheme that fires up his players. He is fiery, passionate, and loud, but he combines that with excellent Defensive scheming. Look at what Duane Akina did last year for UT's defense. The Horns were reduced to an absolute joke with a Defense that rivaled the anything Richard Smith could have come up with. In comes Muschamp with many of the same players(and even rookies) and he transformed the D into an attacking phsyical Defense. THATS what we need. A guy that has passion and a good scheme. IE a guy like Muschamp.

What works in college football doesn't always translate to pro football. At this level it's a business and less of a rah rah environment.

Texans_Chick
11-18-2008, 09:23 PM
TC,

I would like a competent defensive coordinator. I do not care if he is loud or not as long as he is a good coach that the players should respect.

CloakNNNdagger
11-18-2008, 10:53 PM
You want FIRE..........Let me introduce you to our next defensive coordinator as he demonstrates the technique behind his success.

http://www.freemyspacegraphics.com/Graphics/Funny_Animations/images/funny_2.gif

threetoedpete
11-19-2008, 12:43 AM
So did anyone ask him about the logic of using toss sweeps against this fleet footed D ? I'm to the point now that they must have decided in August to play for '09 draft picks. Any word yet on a new direction with different players ?

Carr Bombed
11-19-2008, 01:35 AM
I guess that's where our opinions differ then. I would much rather have ass chewings and anger be behind closed doors and out of the view of the public, other coaches, and players.

I'm a season ticket holder that's just as frustrated as any of you guys, but I surely don't want a raving maniac throwing players and coaches under the nearest bus at these news conferences. It's counter-productive and I don't think that appraoch is one Mr. McNair wants his coach to have.

I'm not asking him to throw the entire team or coaching staff under the bus (although it wouldn't hurt if he announced that Richard Smith was no longer the D coord.).......I'm asking him to show some damn emotion, not just the mundain coach speak crap. Players start tuning that stuff out....it's time for some public anger. We're what 3-7 yet he walks to the podium every week with the same ho hum look on his face........get mad or something, last season he had a 8-8 ballclub despite coaching a mash unit team. It's pretty obvious we're underachieving.

Double Barrel
11-19-2008, 11:55 AM

QFT!!

"Must spread rep yada yada yada..."

dskillz
11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Ah yes, here we go again with the "no emotion or fire" horseshit.

:baby::crying:

To change the losing culture here you need a strong personality to impose a new winning culture. It is too easy to fall back into the, "We are going to lose the game anyway" mindset with out it. I am not saying we need a screamer or yeller, but the team needs someone who is going to change the organization.

I am not talking just X's and O's here, I am talking changing the locker room attitude and the organizational attitude. Kubiak isn't a strong enough personality to overcome that. His "Aww shucks" pressers don't inspire the fan-base, is "We'll get'em next time" talks to our QBs don't inspire them to do actually value the ball.

IMO, he just isn't the right man for THIS job. Maybe in San Diego he might be better. A team that has winners on it already, a player's coach might work. But not here, not now.

Of course none of us know for sure if our opinions/ideas would actually work, but that is 50% of the fun of being a fan.