PDA

View Full Version : The Obligatory "Bright Side" Thread - Colts Game 2

Runner
11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
The Texans showed they can compete with an elite...well, good...team.

ziggy29
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
The obligatory rebuttal, I guess, would be that "moral victories are for expansion teams and perennial losers."

Of course, that shoe is starting to fit pretty well.

Runner
11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I haven't looked very carefully, but I think most of the two-win teams lost, so the Texans remain the Cream of the Crap. Big showdown coming up with Cleveland next week.

awtysst
11-16-2008, 05:00 PM
I haven't looked very carefully, but I think most of the two-win teams lost, so the Texans remain the Cream of the Crap. Big showdown coming up with Cleveland next week.

We're the COCs of the league.

Hmm, that didn't come out right.

Oh jeez. neither did that.

J-Russ
11-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Every game that passes take us closer to the end of the season. Thank God.

Speedy
11-16-2008, 05:04 PM
The Texans showed they can compete with an elite...well, good...team.

Compete my ass. They lose AGAIN and that's the only thing that matters.

HJam72
11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Speedy cuts right to the chase. :jogger:

ATXtexanfan
11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
We now know that when the O doesn't turn the ball over thay are as good as anyone, however the D needs to be overhauled. Mario and demeco are the only ones that can start for other D's

Runner
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
The obligatory rebuttal, I guess, would be that "moral victories are for expansion teams and perennial losers."

Of course, that shoe is starting to fit pretty well.

Compete my ass. They lose AGAIN and that's the only thing that matters.

I was of course, being sarcastic - see Cream of the Crap.

ATX
11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
The D played a great first half against the Colts, not allowing a TD on the road. We were in this until 38 seconds left. Slaton played a great game. That's all I got.

Maddict5
11-16-2008, 05:18 PM
the offence played well in a tough away environment.

jacoby looks like a real playmaker on ST's

slaton obviously

we had a real shot to win at indy (which is some progress i guess as opposed to the usual blowout)

Speedy
11-16-2008, 05:41 PM
FIVE drives in a row by Indy, 91 yards, 81 yards, 80 yards, 71 yards and 69 yards. Last possession of the 1st half until the end of the game. They even overcame 25 yards worth of penalties on one drive, and this defense, even with penalty help, can't make a freaking stop.

If there's a bright side it's that we have a homerun hitter in Steve Slaton. Other than that, this "we were in it 'til" BS ain't good enough any more.

Win some f-ing football games!!!!!

And that's not going to happen until you get a defense. PERIOD!!!

Hervoyel
11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
We lost. There isn't a bright side. Slaton's running was nice. If we could get that from him 14-16 weeks a year then that would make a difference. One game like this is just "nice".

Actually now that I think about it 14-16 games like that from Slaton wouldn't make a difference. Our defense would give them all away and Slaton's brilliance would be just like watching Barry Sanders futile attempts to drag the Lions into respectablity all by himself. I wouldn't be happy for the Texans, I'd be sorry for Slaton.

Giant Tiger
11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
the offence played well in a tough away environment.

jacoby looks like a real playmaker on ST's

slaton obviously

we had a real shot to win at indy (which is some progress i guess as opposed to the usual blowout)

Problem is the Colts are on the decline :ohsnap:

Mr. White
11-16-2008, 07:19 PM
On the bright side, the game's over.

nut
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
We covered the 9 points.

threetoedpete
11-16-2008, 07:28 PM
We lost. There isn't a bright side. Slaton's running was nice. If we could get that from him 14-16 weeks a year then that would make a difference. One game like this is just "nice".

Actually now that I think about it 14-16 games like that from Slaton wouldn't make a difference. Our defense would give them all away and Slaton's brilliance would be just like watching Barry Sanders futile attempts to drag the Lions into respectability all by himself. I wouldn't be happy for the Texans, I'd be sorry for Slaton.

Yeah it's taken a while...but I get it. Dungy and the colts managed us just as they always do. Score may be a little different....the plot and the end results are always the same.

TexanSam
11-16-2008, 07:52 PM
The more we lose the better our draft position. I guess that's kind of nice.

threetoedpete
11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
FIVE drives in a row by Indy, 91 yards, 81 yards, 80 yards, 71 yards and 69 yards. Last possession of the 1st half until the end of the game. They even overcame 25 yards worth of penalties on one drive, and this defense, even with penalty help, can't make a freaking stop.

If there's a bright side it's that we have a homerun hitter in Steve Slaton. Other than that, this "we were in it 'til" BS ain't good enough any more.

Ya know...and it's the little things....simple stuff. Like the sack on the goal line..you know the second field goal ? There is no doubt that Brown was beaten by an inside spin move by Freeny. I except that. It was a perfect move executed by an all pro grizzly veteran. What I can't except is the play call from the start. Trips left...isso play for Walters on the right. I mean the very concept of the play expects Duane Brown to hold the block three seconds. You with me ? Now the play had a chance to make it...just a chance. Pitts chips block whoever the Dt was over Meyers and then he just stopped. He quit. I mean if I'm just a lay person and I know there is a great danger, a high risk if you will, leaving the rookie one on one with Freeny on that play what does Pitts estimate that he was ok make Pitts.....lazy or stupid ? Pick one. I mean Brown has only seen Freeny exactly twice....Pitts has a few more games under his belt. As I said it was a questionable call in the first place. All these little things.

J-Russ
11-16-2008, 08:19 PM
The more we lose the better our draft position. I guess that's kind of nice.

With SF winning today, it puts us in a three way tie for the 7th pick of the draft. The other team that is tie with us is the Cleveland Clowns, who we play next week. Epic.

Specnatz
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Problem is the Colts are on the decline :ohsnap:

Tell that to the Steelers last week. Someone forgot to tell the Colts they are on the decline.

Scooter
11-16-2008, 09:21 PM
on the bright side, vonta leach is fun to watch nomatter the score. did anyone get the measuring tape to how far that kick returner flew?

slaton's run was also great and i've gotta give that one to kubiak. after the motion i was hollering at the TV because we showed exactly what we were going to do ... and we did ... we just threw some blocking wrinkles into it that i and obviously the colts werent expecting.

MEGA SWATT
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
slaton:splits::splits:

DBCooper
11-17-2008, 08:54 AM
on the bright side, vonta leach is fun to watch nomatter the score. did anyone get the measuring tape to how far that kick returner flew?

That was awesome!

BigBull17
11-17-2008, 12:29 PM

They allowed a RB dump off to go for 20 yards on a 3rd and 18. Nuff said. Our defense is about as bad as Ive ever seen. It almost makes me want to throw up on myself. Yuck.

BigBull17
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Ya know...and it's the little things....simple stuff. Like the sack on the goal line..you know the second field goal ? There is no doubt that Brown was beaten by an inside spin move by Freeny. I except that. It was a perfect move executed by an all pro grizzly veteran. What I can't except is the play call from the start. Trips left...isso play for Walters on the right. I mean the very concept of the play expects Duane Brown to hold the block three seconds. You with me ? Now the play had a chance to make it...just a chance. Pitts chips block whoever the Dt was over Meyers and then he just stopped. He quit. I mean if I'm just a lay person and I know there is a great danger, a high risk if you will, leaving the rookie one on one with Freeny on that play what does Pitts estimate that he was ok make Pitts.....lazy or stupid ? Pick one. I mean Brown has only seen Freeny exactly twice....Pitts has a few more games under his belt. As I said it was a questionable call in the first place. All these little things.

What are you talking about? Its not like our rookie LT is going up against a Pro Bowl DE...Oh yeah...And for the record, Pitts isnt all that great...

Vinny
11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
bright side? We don't have to worry about those pesky playoff weekends spoiling all of our plans.

Honoring Earl 34
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
bright side? We don't have to worry about those pesky playoff weekends spoiling all of our plans.

Or attending playoff party's after the holidays and getting even fatter . We can start our New Year's resolution's Jan. 2nd .

Silver Oak
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM

the man comes to play hard each week. I wish we had a team of guys with just that kind of hard hitting attitude.

Specnatz
11-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Or trying to pretend you care. This way you can be completely negative.

Runner
11-17-2008, 09:47 PM
...You with me ? Now the play had a chance to make it...just a chance. Pitts chips block whoever the Dt was over Meyers and then he just stopped. He quit. I mean if I'm just a lay person and I know there is a great danger, a high risk if you will, leaving the rookie one on one with Freeny on that play what does Pitts estimate that he was ok make Pitts.....lazy or stupid ? Pick one. I mean Brown has only seen Freeny exactly twice....Pitts has a few more games under his belt. As I said it was a questionable call in the first place. All these little things.

Ah the great Pitts mystique. An original Texan. The season must really be in the tank for fans to start calling his bluff.

Why isn't this guy a team leader? Probably because the players know what he is about. The play you describe isn't anything new; he's always been like that. He does not help make anyone around him better and doesn't try to.

Chester is about Chester. Once he got his big paycheck, Chester was also about cashing the checks.

Texans Horror
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Keep on the sunny side,
always on the sunny side,
Keep on the sunny side of life...
It will help us ev'rday,
It will brighten all the way,
If we'll keep on the sunny side of life...

Now that the Texans are the first team to be mathematically elminated from the division race, they will begin to excel. (I've found they do better when there's no pressure to win.) Looking at the past two seasons, it seems Kubiak goes 4-4 in the second half of the season, so at 0-2 Kubiak is due a win. And here come the Browns. Oh, goody...

Giant Tiger
11-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Tell that to the Steelers last week. Someone forgot to tell the Colts they are on the decline.

Yes, they did beat the Steelers, and sometimes they'll beat quality opponents; but they're no longer an "elite" team. They'll win 8 or 9 this year, but the 14 win seasons are over. Not saying they're a weak team, just saying they "peaked" already. I won't be surprised if the Chargers beat them next week & the Chargers are a very ordinary team this year :twocents:

Specnatz
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, they did beat the Steelers, and sometimes they'll beat quality opponents; but they're no longer an "elite" team. They'll win 8 or 9 this year, but the 14 win seasons are over. Not saying they're a weak team, just saying they "peaked" already. I won't be surprised if the Chargers beat them next week & the Chargers are a very ordinary team this year :twocents:

Then the Steelers are not elite either.

dalemurphy
11-18-2008, 12:49 AM
The D played a great first half against the Colts, not allowing a TD on the road. We were in this until 38 seconds left. Slaton played a great game. That's all I got.

I don't really consider keeping everything in front of you and hoping the Colts' offense implodes as playing "great defense".

The reality is that the Colts dropped a bunch of passes in the first half and the defense benifited. However, they did nothing to cause them nor did they ever make the Indy offense uncomfortable- well, except for Mario destroying Ugoh the entire second quarter- unfortunately, our DC couldn't figure out a way to capitalize on that mismatch.