PDA

View Full Version : April 28, 2006

HoustonFrog
11-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Sorry but I found it funny when doing my usual board scanning that April 28, 2006 was the most users ever on this board at the same time. Around 9 pm. 1,493 users. What happened that day?We signed Williams over Bush..lol. Just found it interesting.

Thorn
11-13-2008, 07:31 AM
I remember a few folks at work that were actually emotionally upset to the point they almost couldn't concentrate on their jobs. This was all they could talk about.

I wasn't on this board at the time, it must have been maddness! LOL

mexican_texan
11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
It was so annoying. We were flooded with Reggie Bush highlights and like 10 insightful posters out of 5,000 morons, including myself, actually liked Mario.

imatexan
11-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Ya you really couldnt get through to anyone at the time.

DiehardChris
11-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Ha ha I wish I would have been around for that.

Mr. White
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Ha ha I wish I would have been around for that.

No you don't. It was a troll attack the likes of which I'd never seen. I still have flashbacks to this day. My wife has had to sleep in the guest room ever since.

The horrah....

Thorn
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I can't possibly imagine over a thousand registered users on here at once all pissed off at the draft. Wow. Were Purple Hearts handed out to the mods afterwards? LOL

Texan_Bill
11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I avoided this place like the plague. In fact that weekend I drank. I drank heavily.

Ryan
11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
That was a bad day on here. People, including myself, were about to explode with frustration and anger.

Porky
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
It was so annoying. We were flooded with Reggie Bush highlights and like 10 insightful posters out of 5,000 morons, including myself, actually liked Mario.

I guess I was one of the "morons". I thought that Mario was a workout warrior, and Bush was at worst going to be a Brian Westbrook. It's funny because hindsight is 20/20. So, if Bush was the second coming and Mario was a bust, would 5,000 of us have been insightful, and 10 of you morons, or do you have some kind of crystal ball the rest of us don't?

GP
11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I guess I was one of the "morons". I thought that Mario was a workout warrior, and Bush was at worst going to be a Brian Westbrook. It's funny because hindsight is 20/20. So, if Bush was the second coming and Mario was a bust, would 5,000 of us have been insightful, and 10 of you morons, or do you have some kind of crystal ball the rest of us don't?

Good post.

The issue over Mario vs. Reggie was a difficult one. You had a running back who was electrifying and did crazy stuff on the field, and you had a physical specimen in Mario who was graded out higher than Julius Peppers for a lot of scouts.

I fell into the group that was in-between: I was shocked that we didn't select Bush, concerned about Mario for a few reasons, but glad that we didn't select Vince Young. I was a wait-and-see sort of guy. For me, there was just such shock that the Texans FO weathered the hype storm that ensued up until draft day. Was shocking that they had that much discipline in the midst of so much hype in the media.

Looking back at the Texans offense (with AJ being the only true weapon at the time) it's hard to say you wouldn't want a potential game-changing RB who could split out wide and do other various things (return kicks).

FILO_girl
11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I believe I was one of the 10 who wasn't having a complete mental meltdown, IIRC...
do I get a special prize? :stirpot:

Texan_Bill
11-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I believe I was one of the 10 who wasn't having a complete mental meltdown, IIRC...
do I get a special prize? :stirpot:

Any prize you might have been awarded, floated away with your balloon... :whistle:

Shaft75
11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I avoided this place like the plague. In fact that weekend I drank. I drank heavily.

Is there ever a weekend that you don't drink "heavily"?

Texan_Bill
11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Is there ever a weekend that you don't drink "heavily"?

Yes....... hang on, I'm thinking.

May have to go back to you. ;)

gtexan02
11-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Both Bush and Williams are turning out to be good players

I dont think, in retrospect, it was unfair to label MW as a potential workout warrier. If it walks, talks, and looks like a duck...

I guess sometimes it turns out to be a chicken

Runner
11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Both Bush and Williams are turning out to be good players

I dont think, in retrospect, it was unfair to label MW as a potential workout warrier. If it walks, talks, and looks like a duck...

I guess sometimes it turns out to be a chicken
Or a goose.

Grid
11-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I was one of the folks that was actually rooting for Mario over Vince Young and Bush. I viewed vince as a lackluster QB that didnt have the drive and intelligence to be an elite QB. Bush, I was put off by the recent revelations about the shady dealings he had been involved in, and I felt that he was too small to be the kind of runningback that we needed on the team.

My list had Mario at the top, followed by Dbrick..and then a tradedown.

Anyway.. all I really remember from those days was that 75% of people were outraged.. 20% were trying to be optimistic.. 4% just didnt want to talk about it.. and 1% were happy but afraid to say it :D.

We also had alot of people from other teams come around to tell us we were stupid, and get in a few hyucks on our behalf.

IMA TEXAN
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
In hindsight, we seem to have gotten the best player of the first three players taken and Tennessee seems to have gotten the worst.

But someday instead of being vindicated because we took the best player in the draft I would rather be the team who took the player who melts down in his third year and can't beat out a 40 year old journeyman with the only undefeated team in the league and a 4 game division lead halfway through the season. We "won" the draft, I'd prefer to win football games.

HoustonFrog
11-14-2008, 06:46 AM

I remember stepping in and there was no way to make any points because threads moved down the page by the second and it was the same stuff over and over.

I will say anmd admit that my theory that whole off season was to move down to #3 or so to grab Mario or stay and take Bush. This is before we knew that the Saints and others said they wanted Mario. But I really wanted to move down and parlay the #1.

Scooter
11-14-2008, 07:00 AM
as bad as it was, can you imagine the chaos if we had waited until the draft to announce mario?

Hardcore Texan
11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
as bad as it was, can you imagine the chaos if we had waited until the draft to announce mario?

I remember posting here during that day and being very okay with the Mario pick. I didn't want Bush and I didn't want Vince. I wanted to trade back for D'brick. But once it became evident we weren't going to do that I was very okay with Mario over the other two.

One contributing factor to the firestorm was that the Texans announce the MW pick the night before the draft started, gave people plenty of time to get their rant on.

mexican_texan
11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I remember posting here during that day and being very okay with the Mario pick. I didn't want Bush and I didn't want Vince. I wanted to trade back for D'brick. But once it became evident we weren't going to do that I was very okay with Mario over the other two.

One contributing factor to the firestorm was that the Texans announce the MW pick the night before the draft started, gave people plenty of time to get their rant on.
D'Brick...whatever happened to him? I recall half the board wanted him...or at least the half of the board that stayed.

Scooter
11-14-2008, 11:06 AM
i was the same way, either mario or d'brick and i was leaning towards d'brick.

dalemurphy
11-14-2008, 11:24 AM

No what made you "morons" was your insistance that you knew it was a horrible draft pick. Wanting Bush or Young shouldn't have discounted the possibility that Mario could have been a good pick as well.

So, it was your confidence that makes you look ridiculous looking back. Certainly, if I would've said that Mario is going to be great and Bush will stink and I know it.. well, if that turned out to be untrue then I would look very foolish.

My position, at the time, was that I appreciated the organization not making its personnel decisions based on fan and media pressure and also that I will never complain about my team trying to build the DL and OLs.

Hopefully some people learned a lesson or two- like Richard Smith. Instead of crucifying people simply because you disagree with a decision, a measure of humility and benefit of the doubt should be used.

BigBull17
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
No what made you "morons" was your insistance that you knew it was a horrible draft pick. Wanting Bush or Young shouldn't have discounted the possibility that Mario could have been a good pick as well.

So, it was your confidence that makes you look ridiculous looking back. Certainly, if I would've said that Mario is going to be great and Bush will stink and I know it.. well, if that turned out to be untrue then I would look very foolish.

My position, at the time, was that I appreciated the organization not making its personnel decisions based on fan and media pressure and also that I will never complain about my team trying to build the DL and OLs.

Hopefully some people learned a lesson or two- like Richard Smith. Instead of crucifying people simply because you disagree with a decision, a measure of humility and benefit of the doubt should be used.

Add to the fact that you were called racist if you didnt want VY, or an ***** if you didnt want Bush and it was the worst 2 months of my life as a Texan fan. It didnt help that John McClain and Dick Justice were spewing their garbage every 3 seconds. And for the record, I want to trade back with the Jets for the 4th pick and Abraham then take Mario. Hell of a pass rush... Like anyone wants the 1st overall pick anyway.

Kulluminatii
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Add to the fact that you were called racist if you didnt want VY, or an ***** if you didnt want Bush and it was the worst 2 months of my life as a Texan fan. It didnt help that John McClain and Dick Justice were spewing their garbage every 3 seconds. And for the record, I want to trade back with the Jets for the 4th pick and Abraham then take Mario. Hell of a pass rush... Like anyone wants the 1st overall pick anyway.
http://www.victorystore.com/NFL_Products/images/Raiders-logo.jpg:D

HoustonFrog
11-14-2008, 12:42 PM
D'Brick...whatever happened to him? I recall half the board wanted him...or at least the half of the board that stayed.

Doing pretty well for the Jets and saw him play well last night.