PDA

View Full Version : If Kubiak goes..... what about Alex Gibbs?

Koolaid Time
11-11-2008, 08:26 PM
He is the Asst. Head Coach, so does he get the job next , or does he go as well, or ?

Honoring Earl 34
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
He is the Asst. Head Coach, so does he get the job next , or does he go as well, or ?

They'll probably make Chester Pitts a player coach because nobody knows the Texan way like Chester .

ObsiWan
11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Kubiak isn't going anywhere.

TexanSam
11-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Probably depends on who we would hire. My guess is that if Kubiak left though, Gibbs would probably leave on his own.

ObsiWan
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
now if we suck in '09, the whole lot of 'em are out the door. But I don't see Kubiak going anywhere this off-season...

...of course, stranger things have happened.

J-Russ
11-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Who knows if the next coach would even run a ZBS. If he doesn't, then it's pretty obvious that Gibbs is out as well. Also, I think the only reason Gibbs came out of retirement was because Kubiak asked him to help him out with teaching ZBS, so I doubt he'll stick around if Kubes is gone....

But all of this is irrelevant because Kubiak isn't going anywhere, anyways.

headsplint
11-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Who knows if the next coach would even run a ZBS. If he doesn't, then it's pretty obvious that Gibbs is out as well. Also, I think the only reason Gibbs came out of retirement was because Kubiak asked him to help him out with teaching ZBS, so I doubt he'll stick around if Kubes is gone....

But all of this is irrelevant because Kubiak isn't going anywhere, anyways.

Somewhere there is an interview with Kubiak where he says Gibbs and Rhodes contacted him about the jobs. Not the other way around..

J-Russ
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Somewhere there is an interview with Kubiak where he says Gibbs and Rhodes contacted him about the jobs. Not the other way around..

Either way, whatever. Bottom line, they came here for Kubiak, they won't stay if Kubiak gone. Btw, if guys like Rhodes and Gibbs called up Kubiak wanting to coach for him, it really telling of how highly they must think of him.

I'm excited to see who's going to call up Kubiak in the off-season, asking if they can be his DC. If Frank is not already named the DC by then.

steelbtexan
11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
They'll probably make Chester Pitts a player coach because nobody knows the Texan way like Chester .

Very funny

Chester has been the constant on some of the worst OL in NFL history has been Pitts.

This qualifies him to be the new Texans OL coach.

ObsiWan
11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Very funny

Chester has been the constant on some of the worst OL in NFL history has been Pitts.

This qualifies him to be the new Texans OL coach.

what's that old saying...?
"Them that can't play, coach."...?

Honoring Earl 34
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
what's that old saying...?
"Them that can't play, coach."...?

Alot of the guys that could really play can't coach because they expect all the players to be smart and have a work ethic like they did .

Ole Miss Texan
11-11-2008, 11:28 PM
My thoughts are that Kubiak isn't going anywhere and will be a successful coach here. Alex Gibbs probably won't coach here very long. He will probably retire after another year or two.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2008, 11:42 PM
My thoughts are that Kubiak isn't going anywhere and will be a successful coach here. Alex Gibbs probably won't coach here very long. He will probably retire after another year or two.

I think he will retire (again) when he is satisfied with our offensive line, or when Kubiak gets fired -whichever comes first. I don't believe either of those things will happen after this year. Decent chance one of them happens next season. No way he's here beyond 2010.

The1ApplePie
11-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd rather hire some one who's blocking schemes were actually useful in the 21st century

Modern ZBS are great

Alex Gibbs circa 1998 ZBS, no so much

Scooter
11-12-2008, 12:16 AM
I'd rather hire some one who's blocking schemes were actually useful in the 21st century

Modern ZBS are great

Alex Gibbs circa 1998 ZBS, no so much

wasnt the last team he was on the league leader in rushing every season?

GP
11-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Either way, whatever. Bottom line, they came here for Kubiak, they won't stay if Kubiak gone. Btw, if guys like Rhodes and Gibbs called up Kubiak wanting to coach for him, it really telling of how highly they must think of him.

I'm excited to see who's going to call up Kubiak in the off-season, asking if they can be his DC. If Frank is not already named the DC by then.

It's "telling" because they figured if Richard Smith could get a gig in Houston, so could they.

mexican_texan
11-12-2008, 12:42 AM
It's "telling" because they figured if Richard Smith could get a gig in Houston, so could they.
Alex Gibbs came out of retirement, not unemployment, and Rhodes was Kubiak's initial choice for DC. Dick Smith was more of a last minute choice when the Cardinals didn't let Rhodes go.

texanhead08
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
It was Frank Bush who was Kubiak choice for dc. The Cards wouldn't let him out of his contract.

Mr. White
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
wasnt the last team he was on the league leader in rushing every season?

I'm sure having Mike Vick on the roster didn't hurt.

GP
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Alex Gibbs came out of retirement, not unemployment, and Rhodes was Kubiak's initial choice for DC. Dick Smith was more of a last minute choice when the Cardinals didn't let Rhodes go.

Ray Rhodes was with the Seahawks from roughly 2003 to 2007, and he was not Kubiak's initial choice. I think you meant Frank Bush (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=21)

And my comment has nothing to do with the "hows" and the "whys" of how or why those guys got here. It was just a sarcastic dig at the fact that everyone has a chance at a job here if Richard Smith did.

The pure and simple fact that Richard Smith was even interviewed at all is distressing enough as it stands.

mexican_texan
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I meant Bush. I get the two confused.

Vinny
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm sure having Mike Vick on the roster didn't hurt.The Falcons continue to stay at the top of the league in rushing...without Mr Vick or Mr Gibbs.

TimeKiller
11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm sure having Mike Vick on the roster didn't hurt.

Isn't he almost out of jail?

I'm just saying we could try it!

...oh man I'm about to get flamed for that...

drewmar74
11-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Isn't he almost out of jail?

I'm just saying we could try it!

...oh man I'm about to get flamed for that...

At RB? As a slot WR?

As a slash type player?

dskillz
11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
If Kubiak gets fired in-season, Alex would take over, but I doubt he would be a long-term solution.

drewmar74
11-12-2008, 05:23 PM
If Kubiak gets fired in-season, Alex would take over, but I doubt he would be a long-term solution.

I bet he'd walk.

And then Richard Smith would take over for the balance of the season.

NBT
11-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Gary Kubiak is not man enough for the job. He can't even find the guts to fire the worst excuse for a DC I have ever seen. Clean house if need be. It just hurts to have to start over AGAIN!!!

Texan_Bill
11-12-2008, 06:16 PM

That would be awesome!!!

*stops by Carter Country to get some new rounds :gun: *

Thorn
11-12-2008, 06:33 PM

It's the stuff of nightmares..........:eek: