PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak: Slaton "worn down"

Vinny
11-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Slaton worn down: Rookie running back Steve Slaton had just four carries for 7 yards. He did break away for a 58-yard touchdown reception that was called back for a holding penalty on tight end Owen Daniels. Regardless, Slaton didn’t see much time on the field, and that’s because carrying the load has started to take its toll on him.

“He was really worn down, to be honest with you,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “He struggled last week in practice - just sharpness, speed, those types of things. He didn’t miss any time or anything, but we just felt like we were going to do everything we could to split those reps up even more so - if anything, a little less for Steve than Ahman (Green) or the other young man in (Ryan) Moats.” Ok, Slaton has averaged 13 carries a game with a little over 500 yards and he is worn down? I find that hard to believe.

Kubiak hopes that resting Slaton against Baltimore will make him more productive going into Sunday’s game at Indy.
Brilliant move of the week....they rested him for the Colts?????????? wtf? Can't we just fire Kubiak now...please?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4865

hollywood_texan
11-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Ok, Slaton has averaged 13 carries a game with a little over 500 yards and he is worn down? I find that hard to believe.

Slaton is a rookie and this is not uncommon.

Runner
11-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Slaton is a rookie and this is not uncommon.

For a running back with 13 carries a game? Did he room with Brown during camp or what?

This guy is supposed to be a vital cog in the Texans future. I do not understand what is going on with this team.

Crap like this and recent games makes me wonder how can anybody believe this team cares and is giving its all.

bah007
11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
For a running back with 13 carries a game? Did he room with Brown during camp or what?

This guy is supposed to be a vital cog in the Texans future. I do not understand what is going on with this team.

We don't have enough of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Heart_left-highlight_jon_01.svg/491px-Heart_left-highlight_jon_01.svg.png

mexican_texan
11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
He's tiny

stingray
11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Built in excuse by Kubiak to draw attention away from the fact that he is becoming the new Mike Martz of the NFL.

texanhead08
11-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Kubiak wishes he was Mike Martz. Martz went to the playoffs numerous occasions. Kubiak couldn't find the playoffs with a gps.

dtran04
11-10-2008, 11:55 PM
He probably couldn't recover from the week before.....where he played every single snap.

Wolf
11-10-2008, 11:57 PM
I wonder if we could rest Richard Smith because he is "worn down" also

Wolf
11-10-2008, 11:58 PM
well it is a good thing Brown and Green aren't worn down.. they should pick up the slack
:sarcasm:

Runner
11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
He's tiny

So what? Thirteen carries a game. I guess that is why I haven't seen his stats plastered all over the board recently.

The Texans had to get another fullback a couple of weeks ago because Leach was tired, right? I know I read a quote by some player stating how the Texans end the seasons strong because of Kubiak's light workouts and Riley's conditioning program. Maybe it is just because they rest during the season.

cuppacoffee
11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
We don't have enough of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Heart_left-highlight_jon_01.svg/491px-Heart_left-highlight_jon_01.svg.png

I was thinking of another part of the 'male' anatomy.

Would not be appropriate to attach a pic though. Might be sensitive people reading here.

:coffee:

Runner
11-11-2008, 12:04 AM

Really? I was thinking of the ladies.

cuppacoffee
11-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Really? I was thinking of the ladies.

You have a valid point there.

I suppose they have demonstated an abundunce of one and a lack of the other.

Wolf
11-11-2008, 12:09 AM
You have a valid point there.

I suppose they have demonstated an abundunce of one and a lack of the other.

well as robin wiliams said

God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

so I don't know what the Texan's excuse is

mexican_texan
11-11-2008, 12:12 AM
well as robin wiliams said

God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.

so I don't know what the Texan's excuse is
Get those cheerleaders off the field and in the stands.

Runner
11-11-2008, 12:16 AM
OK. I've thought about it. I feel bad for Slaton if he has some medical condition causing this, i.e. Cutler/diabetes.

If not, I only have one repsonse. I'm just going to shake my head and laugh. This team just doesn't give a crap.

mexican_texan
11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
He was never meant to be a full-time back. Especially as a rookie. You wanna blame someone, blame Green.

hollywood_texan
11-11-2008, 12:19 AM

Crap like this and recent games makes me wonder how can anybody believe this team cares and is giving its all.

Going from college to rookie to vet is a growing process.

Not disagreeing with you but I wonder if this rookie wall issue is valid in this situation.

texanhead08
11-11-2008, 12:22 AM
He was never meant to be a full-time back. Especially as a rookie. You wanna blame someone, blame Green.

How bout blaming the idiots that signed Green to that contract.

beerlover
11-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm still very upset on the holding call (Owen Daniels). if it was or not it doesn't matter the Texans needed that big play & it was called back. this is what happens to losing football teams, not use to open field, backside blocking responsiblities. either they just don't expect them to happen or they don't practice or they lack instincts to execute. I'm not sure which one is to blame, but Slaton has deserved some timeout, in a blow-out its even better cause there is no sense in wasting him for the rest of the season.

Runner
11-11-2008, 12:23 AM

A) 13 carries a game isn't a full time work load
B) I wouldn't blame Green anyway. Somebody offered him a lot of money for part time work. I would blame the Smithiak colossus if it wasn't so darn perfect.
C) I'm going to have to reconsider what I think Kubiak means by "working their tails off".

Kaiser Toro
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
I am worn down.

I now declare Admiral Stockdale as the Patron Saint of Losing Fan Bases, "who am I? Why am I here?"

Runner
11-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Going from college to rookie to vet is a growing process.

Not disagreeing with you but I wonder if this rookie wall issue is valid in this situation.

I want to know how many other rookie running backs and left tackles have needed such rest periods the past five years.

Floating excuses like this should embarrass the team. Some of the fan base buys it though, so I guess the marketing department is still doing a bang up job.

Runner
11-11-2008, 12:28 AM
I am worn down.

Go to work tomorrow, answer a couple of e-mails, and go home. Save a little something for next week.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2008, 12:32 AM
So what? Thirteen carries a game. I guess that is why I haven't seen his stats plastered all over the board recently.

The Texans had to get another fullback a couple of weeks ago because Leach was tired, right? I know I read a quote by some player stating how the Texans end the seasons strong because of Kubiak's light workouts and Riley's conditioning program. Maybe it is just because they rest during the season.

I'm not really sure how carries per game becomes the measuring stick. Slaton's been the starting back since the second game, and because of injuries to Green and Taylor, prior to yesterday, he's been a workhorse. It seems to me that staying in to protect and catching short passes would be at least as physically taxing as running the ball - particularly when the protection part is pretty much new to you.

Also, I thought the reason they picked up another fullback was because Taylor went on IR and he was the backup fullback. If there's something out there that talks about Leach being tired (beyond needing to be spelled a play or two like every other player in the NFL), I'd be interested in seeing it.

JayCee
11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
being a rookie doesn't seem to be a problem for other rookie running backs, Forte as an example.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2008, 12:39 AM
being a rookie doesn't seem to be a problem for other rookie running backs, Forte as an example.

Not so fast my friend...

From the article:
In the first eight weeks last year, Peterson ran for 1,036 yards. He had three 100-yard games and two 200-yard games. He added 12 receptions for 206 yards. He had nine touchdowns.

In the last eight weeks, Peterson ran for 305 yards while playing in only six of the eight games. He added seven receptions for 62 yards. He had four touchdowns.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/fantasy/10/17/rookies/index.html)

Kaiser Toro
Go to work tomorrow, answer a couple of e-mails, and go home. Save a little something for next week.

Since I tweaked my hammy going for my third cup of coffee I was hoping that I could split time with my cohort tomorrow in submitting our proposals. If I get hit with one more paper jam this Quarter I may not be able to make the remainder of the Q4 sales forecast calls. I am just worn down by all of the work hazards and inefficiencies that others are throwing at me.

Corrosion
wrong thread .... :specnatz:

Kaiser Toro
11-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Hmmm 2-14 for Capers .... Worst Kubiak can do this season is 3-13 .... :fans:.

I would be more surprised if we won out, rather than lose out at this point.

I think Kubiak will be back, unless we go on another losing streak and the locker room starts to turn, which I believe the narrative is starting to take form of a fall guy. Once players are being quoted about their coaches, sides start to take shape, the microscope comes out and heads roll.

JayCee
11-11-2008, 12:55 AM
In the first eight weeks last year, Peterson ran for 1,036 yards. He had three 100-yard games and two 200-yard games. He added 12 receptions for 206 yards. He had nine touchdowns.

In the last eight weeks, Peterson ran for 305 yards while playing in only six of the eight games. He added seven receptions for 62 yards. He had four touchdowns.
Yeah but he averaged 20 carries a game in the first 8 games last year, much higher than Slaton.

utahmark
11-11-2008, 01:05 AM
isnt this just normal. if we were winning no one would even think twice about this.

I mean they probably worked him harder during camp to see what he could do. he then played in 4 preseason games. Then he's started almost every game for us. Just because he doesn't get the ball he's still out there blocking and running routes. Honestly im not sure i get it, but doesnt it happen to most rookie starters on every team. I always hear about it, every year.

vinny you must really be frustrated(as we all are) you never start a thread.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah but he averaged 20 carries a game in the first 8 games last year, much higher than Slaton.

Slaton's had 150 touches thru 8 games (120 carries and 30 receptions), Peterson had 173 (158 carries and 15 receptions), so the difference is about 2.5 touches per game.

Kaiser Toro
11-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Slaton's four best outings (yards, ypc) have been the weeks he has had his most carries.

I believe that Kubiak coaches soft and that is why we have a soft team.

awtysst
11-11-2008, 01:20 AM

Would not be appropriate to attach a pic though. Might be sensitive people reading here.

:coffee:

Were you thinking

http://www.artcoinc.com/fritts-torchworked_marbles_1.jpg

Perhaps it was

http://papelipe.no/var/weblog/storage/images/photos/moelen/moelen_stones/525-1-eng-GB/moelen_stones_gallerylarge.jpg

or maybe it was

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Pomelos_-_Grapefruits.jpg

JayCee
11-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Slaton's had 150 touches thru 8 games (120 carries and 30 receptions), Peterson had 173 (158 carries and 15 receptions), so the difference is about 2.5 touches per game.
fair enough - actually Peterson had 12 receptions in his first 8 games

Norg
11-11-2008, 01:54 AM
We prob should of ran green more or heck even leech

WE Cannot i mean cannot Give up on the running game

but we did and that makes me sad

utahmark
11-11-2008, 02:07 AM
We prob should of ran green more or heck even leech

WE Cannot i mean cannot Give up on the running game

but we did and that makes me sad

lol. I think we are all a little sad right now.

When our day comes:jogger:, all this will make it even better.......... if our day comes :bored:

Vinny
11-11-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm not really sure how carries per game becomes the measuring stick. Slaton's been the starting back since the second game, and because of injuries to Green and Taylor, prior to yesterday, he's been a workhorse. It seems to me that staying in to protect and catching short passes would be at least as physically taxing as running the ball - particularly when the protection part is pretty much new to you.

13 carries a game comes out to a little more than 3 carries a quarter. He also has had a little over 3 catches per quarter, so "workhorse" isn't exactly a good label for him. When he is in the game he usually doesn't have much pass blocking responsibility.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Slaton's four best outings (yards, ypc) have been the weeks he has had his most carries.

I believe that Kubiak coaches soft and that is why we have a soft team.

Slaton is the type of back that will get stuffed and stuffed, might pick up 4 yards, then break off a 20+ or 40+ yard run.......so he's more effective the more chances he has to make big plays. If anything Kubiak hasn't used him enough and I don't think "Slaton is wearing down", he sure as hell didn't look worn down when he ran through Baltimore's defense on his way to the endzone. I think Kubiak is just making up excuses.

and yeah........we are coached incredibly soft on both sides of the ball.......we are one of the softest teams in the league.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2008, 02:43 AM
13 carries a game comes out to a little more than 3 carries a quarter. He also has had a little over 3 catches per quarter, so "workhorse" isn't exactly a good label for him. When he is in the game he usually doesn't have much pass blocking responsibility.

I think it's just off base not to consider the number of snaps in addition to the number of carries, and it's also a little bit misleading to throw out the 13 carries a game. Prior to the Ravens game (the first 8 games of the season), he'd carried 120 times, and caught 30 passes. That works out to 18.75 touches per game at the time Kubes decided to rest him. Even after the Baltimore game, he's got more touches than any other rookie in the league after Forte and Chris Johnson.

I think the rookie wall is real for a pretty fair number of players, and this would be the right time for it to start kicking in. It will be interesting to see what happens to Slaton, Johnson and Forte as the season goes on.

Vinny
11-11-2008, 02:48 AM
I think it's just off base not to consider the number of snaps in addition to the number of carries, and it's also a little bit misleading to throw out the 13 carries a game. Prior to the Ravens game (the first 8 games of the season), he'd carried 120 times, and caught 30 passes. That works out to 18.75 touches per game at the time Kubes decided to rest him. Even after the Baltimore game, he's got more touches than any other rookie in the league after Forte and Chris Johnson.

I think the rookie wall is real for a pretty fair number of players, and this would be the right time for it to start kicking in. It will be interesting to see what happens to Slaton, Johnson and Forte as the season goes on.
Glad to know Kubiak "saved" Slaton for the Colts as we fall out of contention vs the Ratbirds. I don't understand this apologist thing, but some of us just are a-ok with an awful product I guess. I saw the same thing with our fan base concerning David Carr. As DC would say....geez guys, we are having fun out there! Don't let those frowns get you down!

Ckw
11-11-2008, 03:40 AM
Glad to know Kubiak "saved" Slaton for the Colts as we fall out of contention vs the Ratbirds. I don't understand this apologist thing, but some of us just are a-ok with an awful product I guess. I saw the same thing with our fan base concerning David Carr. As DC would say....geez guys, we are having fun out there! Don't let those frowns get you down!

I don't think that's what it is. I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that people still feel like overall, this is a crappy team. We need Dunta back starting badly. We have below average safeties. We need another pass rusher. We need a run stopper in the middle. We need another OLB, and that could be generous because I am counting Diles (healthy and the same next season?) as a quality starter. And that is just on the defensive side of the ball!

Then you have offense. We need a C and a G. We may need to change our blocking philosophy as the smaller, quicker, zone-blocking guys aren't getting it done. We might need a QB (I think Schaub can be the guy, but Schaub has never stayed healthy). And if this story about Slaton being "tired" is true, then we need a bruising, pound it up the middle RB.

Sure, fixing all those problems is ideal but not realistic. This is why I think priorities should be: pass rushing DE, an actual quality NFL safety, a new C, and another RB. All that can be done this offseason and if accomplished, I think there could be "real" playoff potential. All of us were just too busy drinking the koolaid at the beginning of the season thinking we had playoff potential.

Is Kubiak the problem? Maybe. Has he made some major mistakes? Yes but I think they are the types of mistakes he can learn from and improve upon. Clock management and challenges are things a coach can gain a better understanding of over time. Idiotic play calls like running play action on first and goal can be learned from and eliminated if there is faith in the push from the OL. So we will just have to wait and see. You may think you already have the answer and you might be right, but we will just have to wait and see.

Runner
11-11-2008, 07:25 AM
isnt this just normal. if we were winning no one would even think twice about this.

"If we were winning" means a lot. They aren't though, so that is why I'm surprised that any criticism about the Texans is rebutted by someone because there is nothing wrong with that particular aspect of the team. For a team that has no issues that can't be explained away, they sure do play bad on the field.

To answer your question, "Isn't this just normal?"

Yes it is. For the Texans.

Runner
11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Also, I thought the reason they picked up another fullback was because Taylor went on IR and he was the backup fullback. If there's something out there that talks about Leach being tired (beyond needing to be spelled a play or two like every other player in the NFL), I'd be interested in seeing it.

I think many teams would consider two fullbacks a luxury. Given the Texans lack of depth elsewhere - say QB - I certainly do.

This thread talks about Kubiak saying Leach needed some rest. It may have been on the radio so there might not be a link. I didn't re-read the whole thing.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1011593&highlight=sapp#post1011593

Leach, Brown, Slayton. These are players the Texans rely on, yet they are too tired to play a normal load according to their coach.

HJam72
11-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't believe him. I'm not on the fire Kubiak wagon, but I do think this one is just an excuse. The Ravens stuffed our running game, and that's all there is to it. Who even expected us to run better against them? We're not even a run first offense yet.

gtexan02
11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Is no one else concerned about our strength and conditioning?

Last year everyone gets injured. This year we have to rotate all our rookies in and out just to keep them from being worn down.

Whats the deal?

ArlingtonTexan
11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
If anything worn down Slaton, it was the Vikings game where he took every RB snap and instead of running back, played personal pass protector most of the game.

Still, I hope that worn down is code speak for, "Slaton has a bunch of little nagging injuries that we don't want to disclose" versus he is not able to handle a moderate number of touches.

Texans_Chick
11-11-2008, 09:10 AM
If anything worn down Slaton, it was the Vikings game where he took every RB snap and instead of running back, played personal pass protector most of the game.

Still, I hope that worn down is code speak for, "Slaton has a bunch of little nagging injuries that we don't want to disclose" versus he is not able to handle a moderate number of touches.

I dunno. He didn't seem worn down on that long run.

The guys on 1560 were speculating that it might have something to do with missing a protection in the Vikings game. That they weren't terribly eager to get Rosenfels killed facing a 3-4.

Ultimately, whether Slaton was wore down or not, it is not an excuse for having only 15 carries for the entire game, many of which were in junk minutes at the end.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Round Overall
Drafted Pos # Carries
Joseph Addai 1st 30 14.12
Tiki Barber 2nd 36 10.33
Tatum Bell 2nd 41 5.36
Cedric Benson 1st 4 7.44
Ladell Betts 2nd 56 5.91
Lorenzo Booker 3rd 71 4
Chris Brown 3rd 93 5.9
Ronnie Brown 1st 2 13.8
Bush 1st 2 9.69

swtbound07
11-11-2008, 09:32 AM
i don't trust kubiak and smith to evaluate that slaton is tired. For all i know, he's perfectly fine.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
9 games

Slaton (5'9 203 lbs)
124-545-5 TDs (4.4 Ave) 32-198-1 TD (6.2 Ave.)
Total 156 touches (Zero fumble), ave. 17.33 touches/game

Adai (5'11 214 lbs)
First 9 118-570-3 (4.8) 26-194-1 (7.46)
Total 144 touches (1 fumble), ave. 16 t/g
Last 7 108-511-4 TDs* (4.7) 14-131-0 (9.36)
122 touches (1 fumble), ave. 17.43 t/g

Ronnie Brown (6'0 230 lbs) played in 15 games
First 9 140-655-3 (4.68) 23-153-0 (6.65)
Total 163 touches (1 fumble), ave. 18.11 t/g
Last 6 67-252-1 (3.76) 9-79-1 (8.78)
76 touches (3 fumbles), ave. 12.67 t/g

The one (6'0 203 lbs)
First 9 91-256-1 (2.81) 53-352-1 (6.64)
Total 144 touches (2 fumbles), ave. 16 t/g
Last 7 64-309-5 (4.83) 35-390-2 (11.14)
99 touches , ave. 14.14 t/g

Marion Barber (6'0 220 lbs) played in 13 games
138-538-5 (3.9) 18-115-0 (6.4)
Total 156 touches (3 fumbles), ave. 12 t/g

Kaiser Toro
11-11-2008, 09:47 AM
9 games

Slaton (5'9 203 lbs)
124-545-5 TDs (4.4 Ave) 32-198-1 TD (6.2 Ave.)
Total 156 touches (Zero fumble), ave. 17.33 touches/game

Adai (5'11 214 lbs)
First 9 118-570-3 (4.8) 26-194-1 (7.46)
Total 144 touches (1 fumble), ave. 16 t/g
Last 7 108-511-4 TDs* (4.7) 14-131-0 (9.36)
122 touches (1 fumble), ave. 17.43 t/g

Ronnie Brown (6'0 230 lbs) played in 15 games
First 9 140-655-3 (4.68) 23-153-0 (6.65)
Total 163 touches (1 fumble), ave. 18.11 t/g
Last 6 67-252-1 (3.76) 9-79-1 (8.78)
76 touches (3 fumbles), ave. 12.67 t/g

The one (6'0 203 lbs)
First 9 91-256-1 (2.81) 53-352-1 (6.64)
Total 144 touches (2 fumbles), ave. 16 t/g
Last 7 64-309-5 (4.83) 35-390-2 (11.14)
99 touches , ave. 14.14 t/g

Marion Barber (6'0 220 lbs) played in 13 games
138-538-5 (3.9) 18-115-0 (6.4)
Total 156 touches (3 fumbles), ave. 12 t/g

We certainly do need to tell the whole story since this is about Slaton's role with the Texans, keeping our defense off the field and Kubiak's inability to have a feel for the game outside of Shanahan's system and former players.

Addai's team won 13 games his first year

Brown's team won 9 games his first year.

Bush's team won 10 games his first year.

Barber's team won 9 games his first year.

Is there a correlation or relationship, probably not. However, in this fan's opinion, Salton is the most explosive back we have ever had and we do not use him enough. If not now, then when? I am fearing, more than ever, that we will be considered a soft team, that does not squeeze wins out of our roster. All we do is extend careers and pay for mediocrity, unfortunately that is as good as it gets in our brief history.

El Tejano
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Kubiak wishes he was Mike Martz. Martz went to the playoffs numerous occasions. Kubiak couldn't find the playoffs with a gps.

Your right. He just went to the Super Bowl two times and won.

El Tejano
11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I think we need to remember that Slaton is a 3rd down back and not the every down type. It's evident as the game goes on and he gets easier to tackle.

GuerillaBlack
11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I think we need to remember that Slaton is a 3rd down back and not the every down type. It's evident as the game goes on and he gets easier to tackle.

Give Slaton another offseason/training camp to bulk up some more.

GP
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
This team is lost.

Kubiak is not a HC. Every week that goes by is proving this.

But, as it was with Capers, Bob The Gentleman isn't going to make a bold move. Kubiak will be back for one more year. Yippee.

:texflag:

GP
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Your right. He just went to the Super Bowl two times and won.

As the offensive coordinator, and NOT as the conductor of the entire symphony. Martz was the HC, so he assembled the team. Kubiak assembled his team, but it's definitely not anywhere near being the unit that Martz assembled.

Kubiak is not HC material yet, and he's lost this team. He's done. It's just a formality of giving him a fourth year like Capers was given. Which is patently absurd when you look at how compact and brief the NFL season is.

I want those two 2nd round draft picks back, too. But I can't find the receipt.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 10:17 AM
We certainly do need to tell the whole story since this is about Slaton's role with the Texans, keeping our defense off the field and Kubiak's inability to have a feel for the game outside of Shanahan's system and former players.

Addai's team won 13 games his first year

Brown's team won 9 games his first year.

Bush's team won 10 games his first year.

Barber's team won 9 games his first year.

Is there a correlation or relationship, probably not. However, in this fan's opinion, Salton is the most explosive back we have ever had and we do not use him enough. If not now, then when? I am fearing, more than ever, that we will be considered a soft team, that does not squeeze wins out of our roster. All we do is extend careers and pay for mediocrity, unfortunately that is as good as it gets in our brief history.We don't exactly pay a ton for Slaton to start with. :cool:

Adai averages about 19 touches the following 2 years.
Marion averages 12.68 touches the following two years.
Bush 18.9

In this day and age, the majority of teams choose to go with two backs.
I don't see any problem with that.

Shaun Alexander was drafted #19 overall and started only 1 game his rookie season. He averaged 4.3 touches.

And Benson at #4 was supposed to be a featured back.

There had been tons of guys who were drafted higher than Slaton and didn't play much. Many never even become starter.

If anything, I like to see Slaton's workload lighten up just a tad.
He runs up the middle more than Bush, and at least as much as Adai.

dskillz
11-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I dunno. He didn't seem worn down on that long run.

The guys on 1560 were speculating that it might have something to do with missing a protection in the Vikings game. That they weren't terribly eager to get Rosenfels killed facing a 3-4.

Ultimately, whether Slaton was wore down or not, it is not an excuse for having only 15 carries for the entire game, many of which were in junk minutes at the end.

I totally agree. 15 carries in a NFL game is some Jack Pardee stuff. Even if they are stopping the run, you need to run the ball to kepe them honest atleast.

I am so tired of Kubiak saying just the opposite of what I see on the field.

El Tejano
11-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Steve Slaton worn down huh? Cedric Benson is feeling pretty good!!! Thanks alot FO!

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Can people finally admit that the RB situation is NOT fixed and that Slaton is NOT a featured back. He is at best a change of pace back who can do more than your average 3rd Down back. Much more to be honest, but I hope people stop deluding themselves into thinking that the RB situation is set. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We should have taken Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, or one of the defensive backs available and not reached on Duane Brown, who has cost us our Quarterback's health and cost us a bunch of games with his horrible play. yeah, yeah, he is a rookie but if he aint good enough to help us win, THEN YOU DO NOT PLAY HIM UNTIL HE CAN.

swtbound07
11-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Can people finally admit that the RB situation is NOT fixed and that Slaton is NOT a featured back. He is at best a change of pace back who can do more than your average 3rd Down back. Much more to be honest, but I hope people stop deluding themselves into thinking that the RB situation is set. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We should have taken Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, or one of the defensive backs available and not reached on Duane Brown, who has cost us our Quarterback's health and cost us a bunch of games with his horrible play. yeah, yeah, he is a rookie but if he aint good enough to help us win, THEN YOU DO NOT PLAY HIM UNTIL HE CAN.

i can't admit it. Slaton can, and should be the featured back. Were it not for an Owen Daniels hold and an ***** coach, we'd be gushing about him yet again. I don't know why we are trusting the people who fed us carr and spencer to give an accurate status. I don't believe he's tired. I believe kubiak is an *****.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 10:58 AM
i can't admit it. Slaton can, and should be the featured back. Were it not for an Owen Daniels hold and an ***** coach, we'd be gushing about him yet again. I don't know why we are trusting the people who fed us carr and spencer to give an accurate status. I don't believe he's tired. I believe kubiak is an *****.

i agree that Kubiak is an ***** but how can you think that Slaton is a featured back type? he isn't big enough to take the pounding of an NFL season as the featured back. he would be good sharing time with another runner preferably a bruiser-type. i like slaton, but he is NOT a featured back or worthy of 25+ carries a game. Just sayin.

but kubiak is a freakin moron and a horrible head coach. good coordinator but a horrible head coach.

swtbound07
11-11-2008, 11:02 AM
i agree that Kubiak is an ***** but how can you think that Slaton is a featured back type? he isn't big enough to take the pounding of an NFL season as the featured back. he would be good sharing time with another runner preferably a bruiser-type. i like slaton, but he is NOT a featured back or worthy of 25+ carries a game. Just sayin.

but kubiak is a freakin moron and a horrible head coach. good coordinator but a horrible head coach.

warrick dunn...small and tough.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
warrick dunn...small and tough.

and he has generally had a complimentary back working with him during his career.

besides, anyone can point to one example to support their cause and i hope you realize i am not downing Slaton or saying he sucks because he has been a GREAT find by our front office. i am just saying that he isn't the guy that is going to make our RB troubles go away by himself. in order to truly fix our RB situation, he would need some help and a partner to help shoulder the load.

False Start
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Cedric Benson is feeling pretty good!!!

I bet he is. :shots:

Texans_Chick
11-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Mendenhall isn't playing. He is out for the season with an injury. If you pick RB high, you are taking the risk that 1. they get hurt because it is a position that gets easily hurt; 2. that he is much better than other RBs you can get later in the draft.

Schaub got knocked out of the game due to the hit where Salaam was a turnstyle.

Salaam is limited. I wanted to say that in the 2007 season, he had some of the highest stats for allowing defenders to hit the QB.

You can say that Brown was a reach, but he would have been taken with the next pick in the draft. Brown is a rookie and he has played better than some of the guys picked before him.

Vinny
11-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Mendenhall isn't playing. He is out for the season with an injury. If you pick RB high, you are taking the risk that 1. they get hurt because it is a position that gets easily hurt; 2. that he is much better than other RBs you can get later in the draft.

Salaam is limited. I wanted to say that in the 2007 season, he had some of the highest stats for allowing defenders to hit the QB.

You can say that Brown was a reach, but he would have been taken with the next pick in the draft. Brown is a rookie and he has played better than some of the guys picked before him.
Taking a back late first rd isn't really like taking a back with a top ten pick, but I agree with the center of your comment. Premiere backs (ideal physical specimens) disappear from first thru the early 3rd round and guys that don't have ideal physical dimensions start leaving the board 3rd round and back.

Salaam may be limited but so is Brown....so the position wasn't really upgraded this year and the jury is out if it was upgraded long term. The Titans didn't reach for need when everyone knew their WR corps was weak...now they look brilliant taking a feature back with one of their early value picks because he was good enough to take even though they already had young backs. The Texans wouldn't take talent because they are busy reaching for picks to fill need instead of taking top talent.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Brown has not helped us win football games, Steph. That is my point.

If you have a guy who isn't helping you win, why play him? Salaam was doing fine last year and we had a good record against sacks. Werent we like #6 in few sacks allowed last year? Why the reach needed on Brown?

I am sure we could have found someone deeper in the draft at LT if they were just going to throw the guy out there and hope for the best. Brown has been horrible but that is to be expected from a rookie.....so YOU DON'T START A ROOKIE LT IF YOU WANT TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!

i know mendenhaal got hurt already and Jenkins has looked rusty at CB for the Cowboys but I think a RB or a CB or even a quality DE would have done more to help our team win. Brown has only helped our team lose football games and why waste a 1st Round pick on a guy that does that.

at some point the Texans need to show more urgency as a franchise and try and win today. In the NFL there is no tomorrow. You have to win now and you can turn things around in a hurry if you show some urgency and dedication to winning football. it seems that McNair and his franchise think that just playing football is enough. its not enough. you have to win.

Specnatz
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM

I did not know a deliberate low hit not once but twice was the LT fault, I thought that was soley on the dirty SOB who did it on purpose.

So how do you suppose a rookie get better? Sitting on the bench and not getting reps in a game? Yeah that is working great for our Bennett and Moulden, that is the Richard Smith philosophy right there in a nut shell. Play faggins and not play the young guys cause of experience even if the player is better than the vet.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I did not know a deliberate low hit not once but twice was the LT fault, I thought that was soley on the dirty SOB who did it on purpose.

So how do you suppose a rookie get better? Sitting on the bench and not getting reps in a game? Yeah that is working great for our Bennett and Moulden, that is the Richard Smith philosophy right there in a nut shell.

my point is that if you are going to spend a 1st Round draft pick on someone, you might as well make it someone who can help you win games and not some guy you are just going to roll out there and hope for the best. it's obvious that Brown isn't ready to play the position, so why spend a 1st Round pick on a guy. Don't we have enough holes to fill that we coudl have found someone who could have come in and made a positive impact rather than a negative one?

A rookie gets better by practicing, watching the veterans, and getting some time here and there when necessary. To roll a 'project' like Brown out there with no competition for the job is a dubious proposition but one that seems to have your full support, Spec.

most everyone thought it was a bad draft pick on draft day and even amidst all the spin doctoring and excuses, i think that the majority of the fanbase in hindsight, would agree that it was a dubious selection at best and that the team had other pressing needs that could have been filled with more of a positive impact.

we drank the koolaid (again) and look where we are now. we have an unhappy vet (salaam) and a rookie LT who can't block his own shadow. congrats Texans....great draft pick.

drewmar74
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
He's tiny

I dunno, he doesn't seem that small to me at 5'9" and 203 lbs.

Signed,

Warrick Dunn
5'9", 187 lbs

BigBull17
11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't believe him. I'm not on the fire Kubiak wagon, but I do think this one is just an excuse. The Ravens stuffed our running game, and that's all there is to it. Who even expected us to run better against them? We're not even a run first offense yet.

Its hard to say that when we only ran 10 plays while the game was in the balance. 10 times. 10. The Titans ran it 29 times for 20 yards. We ran it 10 times for 38 ish. We werent 2 scores down till the middle of the 3rd quarter, yet wer totally abandoned the run. It was a ***** move.

BigBull17
11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Brown has not helped us win football games, Steph. That is my point.

If you have a guy who isn't helping you win, why play him? Salaam was doing fine last year and we had a good record against sacks. Werent we like #6 in few sacks allowed last year? Why the reach needed on Brown?

I am sure we could have found someone deeper in the draft at LT if they were just going to throw the guy out there and hope for the best. Brown has been horrible but that is to be expected from a rookie.....so YOU DON'T START A ROOKIE LT IF YOU WANT TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!

i know mendenhaal got hurt already and Jenkins has looked rusty at CB for the Cowboys but I think a RB or a CB or even a quality DE would have done more to help our team win. Brown has only helped our team lose football games and why waste a 1st Round pick on a guy that does that.

at some point the Texans need to show more urgency as a franchise and try and win today. In the NFL there is no tomorrow. You have to win now and you can turn things around in a hurry if you show some urgency and dedication to winning football. it seems that McNair and his franchise think that just playing football is enough. its not enough. you have to win.

I think the team has the wrong rotation. Saalam 2, Brown 1. Instead of the other way. Let him learn slowly, but get reps. I do disagree on Jenkins. He is a guy who said he didnt like to tackle in an interview. no thanks. Moulden, Im not a fan of because he is so raw, but Id rather have a guy who will contribute to stopping a guy running down the field.

I just dont know what RB I would have taken. In hindsight, Chris Johnson looks good, but then I wasnt a fan of his. Same with Felix Jones and Mendenhall.

GP
11-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Taking a back late first rd isn't really like taking a back with a top ten pick, but I agree with the center of your comment. Premiere backs (ideal physical specimens) disappear from first thru the early 3rd round and guys that don't have ideal physical dimensions start leaving the board 3rd round and back.

Salaam may be limited but so is Brown....so the position wasn't really upgraded this year and the jury is out if it was upgraded long term. The Titans didn't reach for need when everyone knew their WR corps was weak...now they look brilliant taking a feature back with one of their early value picks because he was good enough to take even though they already had young backs. The Texans wouldn't take talent because they are busy reaching for picks to fill need instead of taking top talent.

I agree with the bolded statement (above) but I am glad that we picked for need (Mario) instead of the guy who was touted as being more talented (Reggie). Even though the gap there, Mario's talent vs. Reggie's talent, is pretty narrow...we took Mario based on need: The need to pressure AFC South QBs.

HOWEVER.....the slide down in this past year's draft, to grab Duane Brown and thereby also gain Steve Slaton, was a reach of Jason Babin proportions IMO. The thing that kept this move from being questioned too much was that we acquired a RB with a name (Steve Slaton) as part of the slide down.

That was a case of "Why didn't we pick up Mendenhall where we were?" for me. Mendenhall got hurt with the Steelers. And so I can reckon that the guy, had he been drafted by us, would not have played in that particular game as a Steeler...and thus he would not have been injured had he played for the Texans that week on the shcedule. Of ocurse, he could have ended up hurt in any other game he had played for us. But sometimes I find myself playing the "What if Mendenhall had played for us" game every now and then. Oh well.

Amobi was taken out of need: Need for an interior dlineman who could help Mario out. BUT...there was also some high-level talent potential with Amobi that a lot of people said was there. I haven't given up on Amobi yet. I am hoping that he is in need of a new d-coord (like the rest of our defense is) AND that he is just behind because of the age gap. He could be a guy who needs more than 1 or 2 years to settle in and make things click.

The Texans need to probably take a deep deep look at spending their high first round pick on a QB if the right guy is still there. No more QBs in the 7th round, thankyouverymuch. This team needs a general in the huddle, a guy with youth and moxie and proven success. Gotta have all three of those, IMO. David had 2 out of 3, Schaub has maybe 1 out of those 3.

Too bad we can't draft defensive coordinators. :thinking:

Brando
11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I agree with the bolded statement (above) but I am glad that we picked for need (Mario) instead of the guy who was touted as being more talented (Reggie). Even though the gap there, Mario's talent vs. Reggie's talent, is pretty narrow...we took Mario based on need: The need to pressure AFC South QBs.

HOWEVER.....the slide down in this past year's draft, to grab Duane Brown and thereby also gain Steve Slaton, was a reach of Jason Babin proportions IMO. The thing that kept this move from being questioned too much was that we acquired a RB with a name (Steve Slaton) as part of the slide down.

That was a case of "Why didn't we pick up Mendenhall where we were?" for me. Mendenhall got hurt with the Steelers. And so I can reckon that the guy, had he been drafted by us, would not have played in that particular game as a Steeler...and thus he would not have been injured had he played for the Texans that week on the shcedule. Of ocurse, he could have ended up hurt in any other game he had played for us. But sometimes I find myself playing the "What if Mendenhall had played for us" game every now and then. Oh well.

Amobi was taken out of need: Need for an interior dlineman who could help Mario out. BUT...there was also some high-level talent potential with Amobi that a lot of people said was there. I haven't given up on Amobi yet. I am hoping that he is in need of a new d-coord (like the rest of our defense is) AND that he is just behind because of the age gap. He could be a guy who needs more than 1 or 2 years to settle in and make things click.

The Texans need to probably take a deep deep look at spending their high first round pick on a QB if the right guy is still there. No more QBs in the 7th round, thankyouverymuch. This team needs a general in the huddle, a guy with youth and moxie and proven success. Gotta have all three of those, IMO. David had 2 out of 3, Schaub has maybe 1 out of those 3.

I'm not giving up on Amobi either but I have started thinking about what might have been had we drafted Willis.

Blake
11-11-2008, 12:59 PM
The Texans wouldn't take talent because they are busy reaching for picks to fill need instead of taking top talent.

Thats exactly what bothers me about the Texans drafting thought process. They focus on needs rather than overall talent and it drives me nuts.

Isnt it Ironic that we will be in position to take 2-3 franchise left tackles in the 2009 draft?

Blake
11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
You can say that Brown was a reach, but he would have been taken with the next pick in the draft.

Im not saying you are wrong, but just asking why you think the Chargers would have taken Brown with the 27th pick when they have Marcus Mcneill?

gtexan02
11-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Lets think about the Brown pick for a moment:

We have Alex Gibbs, who likes smallish defenders who are agile on their feet.

Our starting LT going into camp is an off-beat up, journeyman, aging Salaam.

And no one else

Sometimes bad teams have to reach. It'd be nice to take BPA all the time, but its not possible when you simply have NO one to play a position. Who would have played LT this year? Salaam was hurt for a lot of the season.

gtexan02
11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Im not saying you are wrong, but just asking why you think the Chargers would have taken Brown with the 27th pick when they have Marcus Mcneill?

I don't remember if it was the chargers or someone else, but I do remember reading one GM say that he was planning on taking Brown with the pick following the Texans (whether or not that invovled a trade I don't knwo)

TimeKiller
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Because they said as much.

Blake
11-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Because they said as much.

The GM on the chargers said that? Did you read this on the net or did he say it on the radio?

Basically im calling yalls bluff now and am looking for confirmation.

TexanSam
11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
The GM on the chargers said that? Did you read this on the net or did he say it on the radio?

Basically im calling yalls bluff now and am looking for confirmation.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080428-9999-1s28chargers.html

“We came up one pick short,” said Turner, who along with the rest of the Chargers brass watched Houston trade into the 26th spot and take tackle Duane Brown of Virginia Tech.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080428-9999-1s28chargers.htmlI think they want Brown to play RT

Texans_Chick
11-11-2008, 02:24 PM

Jury is out on Brown.

As for reaching, I will agree with this....I think that the Texans have a bias in the draft for picking more developmental picks than complete players with more of a track record in college.

I would like them to pick more players at positions that would be readier to play day one. Some of the best players the Texans have are players who were very accomplished at their positions in college.

devo-x
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't we have another young RB to share the load with Slaton - Ryan Moats? I have not heard his name mentioned often

powerfuldragon
11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
the thought of facing the Raven's D would wear me out.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 03:32 PM

David only had 1 out of those 3 traits you listed and that was the only one he couldn't affect and that was his youth. schaub easily has 2 out of the 3 traits and that is youth and moxie. he didn't have the proven success but if your proven, its pretty much a given you arent going to be available via trade unless the tread is falling off your tires and you are near retirement.

Schaub has done a FAR better job than Carr ever did. Ever. He has shown more moxie as well. He just doesn't seem to be tough enough to play QB in this league or at least in this offense/behind this blocking scheme/talent.

Schaub has everything except super arm strength and toughness. he has the mental game, good touch on his passes, and has shown good leadership on and off the field. It's just a shame that he has been so injury prone. a crying shame.

as for the OT, Slaton is what he is. A back that has been productive and has managed to stay relatively injury free. That is all you can expect out of a 4th Rounder. We just can't expect this guy to be our featured back or to carry us to the Super Bowl. This guy is going to need someone to help carry and shoulder the load. no doubt.

I

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 03:36 PM

there was a report with the Chargers Gm or some front office guy saying they were looking at him at #27. it doesn't mean they were going to take him but it does mean that other team's were considering him in the 1st Round.

I just think we could have gotten a 'project' LT later in the draft. Brown was a project and you don't take projects in the 1st Round especially if you need immediate help at other positions.

but whatever, the Texans drafting record isn't exactly exemplary so it isn't that much of a surprise that they look to have blown the pick at this point in time. i hope Brown ends up improving because he has been getting owned and costing our team yardage, sacks, and most importantly WINS.

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Jury is out on Brown.

As for reaching, I will agree with this....I think that the Texans have a bias in the draft for picking more developmental picks than complete players with more of a track record in college.

I would like them to pick more players at positions that would be readier to play day one. Some of the best players the Texans have are players who were very accomplished at their positions in college.

exactly TC. this regime as well as the previous regime have shown a tendency to think they are smarter than conventional wisdom.

it hasn't exactly worked out in spade, has it?

Vinny
11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't we have another young RB to share the load with Slaton - Ryan Moats? I have not heard his name mentioned often
he is another smallish situational type back that a Coach would probably be leery of giving too many carries to also. Perhaps one day we can have 8 running backs and have them each carry the ball 4 times a game in order to crank up our run to pass ratios. Hell, if we can't give our backs lots of carries, let's give lots of backs carries.

BigBull17
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
David only had 1 out of those 3 traits you listed and that was the only one he couldn't affect and that was his youth. schaub easily has 2 out of the 3 traits and that is youth and moxie. he didn't have the proven success but if your proven, its pretty much a given you arent going to be available via trade unless the tread is falling off your tires and you are near retirement.

Schaub has done a FAR better job than Carr ever did. Ever. He has shown more moxie as well. He just doesn't seem to be tough enough to play QB in this league or at least in this offense/behind this blocking scheme/talent.

Schaub has everything except super arm strength and toughness. he has the mental game, good touch on his passes, and has shown good leadership on and off the field. It's just a shame that he has been so injury prone. a crying shame.

as for the OT, Slaton is what he is. A back that has been productive and has managed to stay relatively injury free. That is all you can expect out of a 4th Rounder. We just can't expect this guy to be our featured back or to carry us to the Super Bowl. This guy is going to need someone to help carry and shoulder the load. no doubt.

I

Ill add to Schaub traits the short memory. He makes a mistake and doesnt over do it to make up for it, or crawl into a hole to hide. Its almost as if it never happened.

Also, Slaton is a 3rd rounder, but same diff. If teamed with another qualituy back, he will give us a good running game.

BigBull17
11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Steve Slaton worn down huh? Cedric Benson is feeling pretty good!!! Thanks alot FO!

Ced Benson is a joke.

texanhead08
11-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Ced Benson knows how to party. It pisses me off these cheap shots keep putting Schaub out. He was playing some pretty good ball too.

Vinny
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Ced Benson is a joke.He gained over 100 yards vs Jacksonville (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29646&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&seasonType=REG&week=9) last week....so he has that going for him I guess.

Bengals RB Cedric Benson has made a positive impression in his short stint with the club, we’re told, and he has drawn raves for his attitude and how he’s getting along with his teammates. More and more, it looks like Benson is going to have a chance to be in the Bengals’ long-term plans.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/afcnorth110908.htm

Second Honeymoon
11-11-2008, 04:30 PM
He gained over 100 yards vs Jacksonville (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29646&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&seasonType=REG&week=9) last week....so he has that going for him I guess.

yeah, but Benson doesn't pass the McNair 'white glove' test. After all, its always been all about image with McNair's Texans...screw winning. McNair is more concerned with PR, being the 'good guys', and counting his money than actually putting a competitive product on the field. Now he is already talking about 'cutting expenses' because the market is hurting his billionaire pockets. Screw Bob. He isn't even a real Texan in my eyes.

oh well, he won't wake up to reality until we all stop going to games and stop buying jerseys and stop supporting the team. We will end up being the Cubs fans of the NFL. Supportive, vocal, spend money, and never win jack squat. This offseason will be a big decision on whether to renew my season tickets. Spending around 5k a year on tickets alone and getting this in return isn't making me a very happy consumer. If I could recoup a portion of my PSL money, I would probably sell the seats tomorrow. No one hardly ever wants to go to the games and you are rarely sent home with a good feeling. The tailgating is great and the stadium is nice but THE TEAM FREAKING SUCKS!!! And what have the Texans ever given us to believe in? Ever? What big move have they ever done that shows the fanbase that they are committed to winning? Greenwood? Wade? Robaire? Give me a freaking break. That Colts debacle is still ticking me off. That walk back to the tailgate was a new low...even for the Texans.

Texans Horror
11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
The whole team will continue to get worn down more and more as the season goes on. This is an unfortunate by-product of Ike/the way-too-early off-week, but that's life. The last six games will be tougher for the Texans than other teams regardless of win/loss ratio.

This is where having a deep bench would have really helped the Texans. Unfortunately, they don't have the bench of a Spurs/Dynamo/NE-type team. Despite this, I think we will see more second-stringers playing to keep the first team rested.

Silver Oak
11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
this thread should be titled "Texans Talk: fans "worn down".

Texans_Chick
11-11-2008, 05:32 PM
yeah, but Benson doesn't pass the McNair 'white glove' test. After all, its always been all about image with McNair's Texans...screw winning. McNair is more concerned with PR, being the 'good guys', and counting his money than actually putting a competitive product on the field. Now he is already talking about 'cutting expenses' because the market is hurting his billionaire pockets. Screw Bob. He isn't even a real Texan in my eyes.

oh well, he won't wake up to reality until we all stop going to games and stop buying jerseys and stop supporting the team. We will end up being the Cubs fans of the NFL. Supportive, vocal, spend money, and never win jack squat. This offseason will be a big decision on whether to renew my season tickets. Spending around 5k a year on tickets alone and getting this in return isn't making me a very happy consumer. If I could recoup a portion of my PSL money, I would probably sell the seats tomorrow. No one hardly ever wants to go to the games and you are rarely sent home with a good feeling. The tailgating is great and the stadium is nice but THE TEAM FREAKING SUCKS!!! And what have the Texans ever given us to believe in? Ever? What big move have they ever done that shows the fanbase that they are committed to winning? Greenwood? Wade? Robaire? Give me a freaking break. That Colts debacle is still ticking me off. That walk back to the tailgate was a new low...even for the Texans.

Rick Smith has talked about this before. He recognizes that not all players are choir boys. There are a number of players on the roster who have er histories.

That being said, taking on a Ced Benson wasn't a no brainer given his extensive injury history and his lack of production as a Bear.

Depending on where your seats are, you can often make a profit selling your PSL. I got my current PSL after the 2-14 season, but not from a disgruntled person, just someone who was leaving the country. Sold my old PSL. Ended up being cash positive in the transaction.

ArlingtonTexan
11-11-2008, 05:59 PM
this thread should be titled "Texans Talk: fans "worn down".

:goodpost: When fans realize all but a miracle finish has this season looking at best like last season and probably not as good, the realization that it is seven years of bad football and counting brings out all kinds theories and what ifs.

TimeKiller
11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, I'm almost sure this will be passed over since this thread has about been derailed but I was thinking...some say Slaton is in the doghouse with Kubiak and that's why he didn't play much. My thought was Slaton had a little bit of the reputation to quit on a team (at least, I read two or three scout reviews that said just that), maybe he gave Kubiak a little flack?

BuffaloglennTX
11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I'm almost sure this will be passed over since this thread has about been derailed but I was thinking...some say Slaton is in the doghouse with Kubiak and that's why he didn't play much. My thought was Slaton had a little bit of the reputation to quit on a team (at least, I read two or three scout reviews that said just that), maybe he gave Kubiak a little flack?

He probably told Kubiak that he should have given him the *&%$ing ball more in the minnesota game. Maybe coach didn't like that too much.