PDA

View Full Version : Serious question...

Tedc
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
How does a punter get offsides in a punt? This is a serious question as I can't seem to understand the possibility of it.

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
How does a punter get offsides in a punt? This is a serious question as I can't seem to understand the possibility of it.

... was it a regular punt, because that seems impossible... or was it during a safety free kick?

mexican_texan
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
... was it a regular punt, because that seems impossible... or was it during a safety free kick?
Safety free kick

gtexan02
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Did that happen? I remember seeing our guys lined up pretty far on the free kick, I just didn't know why

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Safety free kick

k. makes sense now.

DerekLee1
11-10-2008, 03:21 PM
It was explained to me that on the safety free kick, he stepped over the 20 yard line, resulting in an offsides.

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
It was explained to me that on the safety free kick, he stepped over the 20 yard line, resulting in an offsides.

yup. probably because the texans rarely practice taht on special teams.

txchick1971
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
yup. probably because the texans rarely practice taht on special teams.

looks like to me they RARELY PRACTICE a lot these days :foottap:

Thorn
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
so how come on a free kick they punt? Wouldn't they get the ball farther down field if the place kicker did this?

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
so how come on a free kick they punt? Wouldn't they get the ball farther down field if the place kicker did this?

because that's what they always do after safeties...

bah007
11-10-2008, 03:47 PM
because that's what they always do after safeties...

As I understand it (not certain though):

You have the option to kick it from the ground or punt it.

But I can't recall seeing a team choose to kick it so I could be wrong.

Thorn
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I have NEVER seen a team do anything but punt the ball after a safety. In all my years of watching football, I never recall anyone tee'ing it up on the 20 yard line to kick after a safety. I mean, is it a rule you have to punt rather than kick? If so, why is it called a "free" kick when you can't?

I don't understand.

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Per the nfl rulebook:
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/safety

On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee. No score can be made on a free kick following a safety, even if a series of penalties places team in position. (A field goal can be scored only on a play from scrimmage or a free kick after a fair catch.)

that's probably got everything to do with it.. the fact that they can't use a tee.

Thorn
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Per the nfl rulebook:

that's probably got everything to do with it.. the fact that they can't use a tee.

OK, that makes sense. Thank's for looking that up. :)

bah007
11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Per the nfl rulebook:

I thought so. Thanks.

TimeKiller
11-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Not to derail the thread...but it seems that a Punter could also be a Kicker and vice versa. How come we never see this hybrid of the foot? They're not that different...

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Not to derail the thread...but it seems that a Punter could also be a Kicker and vice versa. How come we never see this hybrid of the foot? They're not that different...

if that hybrid were indeed on the team, what would happen if he got injured? all of a sudden you just lost two esoteric skillsets, so your FO starts scrambling, looking for replacements.. you get the picture.

Vinny
11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Dan Pastorini used to Punt, so I'm sure if a kicker could punt at a high level or a punter could kick at a NFL level they would do it.

Texan_Bill
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Dan Pastorini used to Punt, so I'm sure if a kicker could punt at a high level or a punter could kick at a NFL level they would do it.

Not only Pastorini, but also that team in Southern Oklahoma with Danny White.

I disagree for one reason Vinny. What happens if you have only one guy doing the punting and kicking - and he gets hurt. Now you have to move him inactive along with someone else to open up two roster spots... OUCH.

Michael Koenen (ATL) is the first guy to handle all of these duties since Pat Coral in the early '80's.

Tedc
11-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Not only Pastorini, but also that team in Southern Oklahoma with Danny White.

I disagree for one reason Vinny. What happens if you have only one guy doing the punting and kicking - and he gets hurt. Now you have to move him inactive along with someone else to open up two roster spots... OUCH.

George Blanda..ooops! Showing my age.

Texan_Bill
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
George Blanda..ooops! Showing my age.

George who......?? :spit:

Just trying to fide my aga.... :hides:

mexican_texan
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
It's completely different, it's much harder to kick than it is to punt.

powerfuldragon
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
It's completely different, it's much harder to kick than it is to punt.

yup. i'm pretty sure it requires much more leg strength to kick a ball off the ground than in the air. it's science.

Texan_Bill
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Spirals travel further and higher than end over end kicks. Even punts that don't 'turn over' completely still 'float' more than place kicks (end over end).

PapaL
11-10-2008, 06:39 PM
The Falcons, I believe, used a dual Kicker/Punter recently. Within the last couple of years.

ChampionTexan
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
If I remember correctly, Lee Johnson - the punter for the Oilers in the mid '80's (and later the Bengals and Patriots) also kicked off (I think the FG kicker was Tony Zendejas). He never attempted FG's unless they were extremely long and out of the range of Zendejas.

Texan_Bill
11-10-2008, 07:02 PM

Michael Koenen (ATL) is the first guy to handle all of these duties since Pat Coral in the early '80's.

The Falcons, I believe, used a dual Kicker/Punter recently. Within the last couple of years.

Michael Koenen?

Texan_Bill
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Vinny brought up a blast from the past: Skip Butler

PapaL
11-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Michael Koenen?

That is the guy!

mexican_texan
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I'll put it this way. I've seen linemen put up good punts in pickup games. I've never seen anyone other than soccer players kick a ball well.

HJam72
11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, but those Budweiser horses can do it, so it can't be that hard.