PDA

View Full Version : If we were drafting today, who would you select?

Hottoddie
11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

According to GBN, we would have the #8 pick in the draft if the draft were today. Using their latest Top 100 list to choose from, who would you select with the #8 pick?

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

I'd have a tough time passing on Jenkins if Molden doesn't develop & Dunta doesn't regain his old form by the end of this year.

DiehardChris
11-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Brian Orakpo or Rey Maualaga. I'm one of those people that thinks our horrible pass rush has a huge part in the blame for our horrible secondary.... and I think you build defense from front to back.

This pick of course counts on Molden being on track to contribute soon.

EDIT: I should say - I have Orakpo there, but I know the top DE of next year's draft has changed a few times... so what I mean is - whichever DE is the closest to a sure thing - or Maualaga, who I think is a sure thing.

Texan JBZ
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Aaron Curry or Taylor Mays

The1ApplePie
11-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Orakpo or Rey for sure

Hottoddie
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM

I can see Mays moving up, but wouldn't #8 be a little too high for Curry?

mussop
11-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I know this wont be popular here but if either Monroe or Oher fall to #8 Im all over them. If either of our OT fall ew are in deep dodo. We need more depth and talent on the OL you just dont pass up top of the line OLinemen. There just isnt anyone on D in this draft that grade out higher than those 2 for me.

If they are both gone It would be between Orakpo or Rey or Vontae Davis. Im with diehardchris on you build from inside out so probably would go with Orakpo but would be happy with any of these guys.

dsorc
11-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I would go for Orakpo or Curry. We have two young guys and Dunta coming back at CB so I think we're set for the future there. Mauluga is one guy I want to stay away like the plague. Dude is a freak athlete but he lacks instincts and the ability to read the play plus I don't want to move Demeco. Draft is deep at S so no need to overpay for Moore of Mays. Finally Orakpo is better than Johnson and we need more of a RE than a LE.

awtysst
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I say this every year, but I would trade down. There is simply more value to be had with extra picks as opposed to one single player. The tough part of a trade is that you need a dance partner. Even if a trade makes sense and is your best move, it does not always occur.

So, in my scenario, the Texans @ 8 trade down to #14(in this case Green Bay) Green Bay would then get the opportunity to select CB Malcolm Jenkins. GB is getting old at their CBs and he would be a great selection. All they would need to do would be to swap first rounders and throw in their second.

The math is as follows:
Texans #8=1400
Green Bay #14=1100, #46=440

Total Texans= 1400, Total Green Bay= 1540(ie GB pays a small price to move up and cement their CB for a decade).

So, what would the Texans do with these 3 1st day picks?

14. Aaron Curry-OLB Wake Forest
This would be a MAJOR pick for us. It would toss Greenwood out and put someone in who has the ability, size, and speed to play the position well. If he was on the Board(which I dont think he will) we could also go get James Laurinaitis the Ohio State MLB. We could then move Meco to OLB. In either case Greenwood either hits the pine or hit the street. Either one is good in my book.

With our brilliant trade down we now have 2 2nds to play with.

40. Auston English DE Oklahoma
I need to read more about him, but I think he could be that elusive passrusher we have been searching wanting from the Weaver position. This move allows us to get rid of Weaver and utilize Bulman off the bench. I think Bulman would be great as a situational rusher and allow English to get a breather. Our D-line problem has been 2 fold: 1) not enough talent and 2 not enough depth. This pick addresses both.

Oh and with 2 picks I have pushed Greenwood and Weaver to the bench or our the door.

46. Jonathan Luigs C Arkansas
I need to read/watch more about him but here is the idea I am going for. What has been the biggest problem so far with our Oline? Brown has been progressing and aside from an iffy game, Winston has been solid. So its not the tackles. Pitts has been fine so its now LG. A case could be made for Center or RG. IO personally think its Center. There have been so many times when I have seen Myers getting pushed backwards into the QB and RB. It seems that he is unable to hold the point of attack effectively. One question we SHOULD have been asking last year when we traded for him was why would Denver a ZBS team trade a young center for a 4th rounder. I think we now know. I say get the second best center on the board and watch him move the LOS forward.

72. B.J. Raji-DT Boston College
He is what you call a Space Eater. He is 6'1 323lbs and would look great on an Oline with Mario, Amobi, and English. He would be able to switch in and out with Okam in order to keep both of them fresh. I think this would be a huge (no pun intended) boost to our D-Line.

Ok. those are my thoughts. Rip me apart!!!

beerlover
11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
trade down to address multiple needs. this draft looks deep so should be able to upgrade at least three positions- OLB/Cushing, DL/Orakpo OL/Jason Smith then add depth @ RB & Secondary :)

threetoedpete
11-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Orakpo has an ankle. If it wasn't for the ankle he'd be my choice bar none. This is the second year he's missed major time with ankel injuries.

We've got one Qb down for the second time. And what ever it takes to make the ZBS go, we ain't got it yet. So the question is how long do you let Duane Brown learn on the fly ? Is he the guy or not ? Do you redraft for the o-line after you've already made one high pick the previous year ? I mean if it is going to take one more pick to fix the o-line, make the pick and be done with it. From what I'm seeing we're not to far from seeing another David Carr moment. What is not up for debate is whether or not MS can take a pounding. He can't. Either the o-line improves or you redraft for a young QB. They're going to need a young body in a couple of seasons to be on line for 2010 if the o-line doesn't ripen quickly next season.

They are good enough to win now with more production from the defense. Another thing to consider...this is the second year Demeco Ryans has had the ankle injury. Arron Curry, a fleet footed will, would be my first choice. They could use another center, the complementary Rb, and the DE. I picked other. Move back if you can, see what falls into your lap. Orakpo may get down graded for the injuries. Might end up with Curreyesque LB and Orakpo too.

Ole Miss Texan
11-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't be against drafting Aaron Curry (OLB) in the 1st at this point and drafting a top center like Alex Mack in the 2nd round.

But a trade down scenario netting us a 2nd round pick would be my first choice. I'd consider a safety like Mays or Moore but only if we could trade down. Jenkins and Davis would be very tempting.

mexican_texan
11-09-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

According to GBN, we would have the #8 pick in the draft if the draft were today. Using their latest Top 100 list to choose from, who would you select with the #8 pick?

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

I'd have a tough time passing on Jenkins if Molden doesn't develop & Dunta doesn't regain his old form by the end of this year.
Even if Molden and D-Rob pan out, we need first round DB talent.

rmartin65
11-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I voted trade down, but I dont know to where. I am thinking the early 20's, late teens. Pickup an extra second maybe.

TexansSeminole
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
#8 is pretty high.

I'd go Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno, or Aaron Curry probably. I think Curry would help our defense alot, and I think Beanie could give us a borderline scary running game. Moreno would be just as good if not better than Beanie.

In reality we will probably be closer to 12, or 15. I'd still try to get Aaron Curry. I think he has pro-bowl LB written all over him really at any linebacker position. I can see him playing either Sam or Will, and he is perfect physically for the Mike.

Even if Molden and D-Rob pan out, we need first round DB talent.

We do need to get a athletic safety, but I think we are set at CB for now. We've got Dunta, Bennett, Reeves, and Molden. Bennett, Reeves, and Molden are all still very young. If anything we need to get a veteran corner to play the 5. Faggins is done.

I would love to see us grab a safety at good value, I just don't see very many safeties out there that would be good picks @ 8-15. Maybe Mays, but I would be hesitant in selecting him as high as 15. Who else? I'm not sold on Moore. I suppose if you want to get creative you can pick Malcolm Jenkins and try and move him to FS, although I would not do that.

There's a bunch of safeties with 2-3 round value like Kam Chancellor from Virginia Tech, Emanuel Cook from South Carolina, Myron Rolle from Florida State, Michael Hamlin from Clemson.

eriadoc
11-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I voted Jenkins, but it's too early to even consider, really. We need a CB, a DE, an OLB, a QB, a RB, a C, and a RG. Not necessarily in that order. A safety wouldn't hurt. No matter what happens, I'd like to see the team take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and let Kubiak develop him.

beerlover
11-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Rick Smith will trade down if possible. Slaton has been invalueable & the Texans still aquired they're targeted 1st rd. draft choice LT Duane Brown with Barber thrown in for good measure, all for the 18th pick. imagine what he could do with the 8th pick? most likely wherever the Texans wind up selecting it will be higher than last year & this draft is going to have a tremendous underclassman turnout which translates into a very deep board.

Teams able to aquire multiple draft slots could be able to leapfrog their competition with infusion of smart draft picks addressing needs that fit ones system. the Texans simply have too many needs & already have some franchise peices to build around, now they need to hit some diamonds in the rough, continue to build the future & reconstruct roster with more speed.

TexansSeminole
11-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Teams able to aquire multiple draft slots could be able to leapfrog their competition with infusion of smart draft picks addressing needs that fit ones system. the Texans simply have too many needs & already have some franchise peices to build around, now they need to hit some diamonds in the rough, continue to build the future & reconstruct roster with more speed.

Great point. The number of draft picks for each team will be big. The Eagles look very smart for giving up their first last year and getting extra picks this year + Desean Jackson.

We need alot of help on defense in this draft. On offense we only need lineman and a runningback. We could use a guy for really every position on defense. Should be great opportunity at value all over the draft for defense.

Ole Miss Texan
11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
With as stellar as Duane Brown has been playing (slight sarcasm) shoulda could woulda been nice if we would have gotten Antoine Cason or Kenny Phillips in the late first because it's looking more and more likely we'll have a shot at Michael Oher this year. :)

I really havn't gotten to watch as much college football and these prospects as I wanted to this year but I'll tell you, I've been really impressed with Brandon Spikes, LB from Florida. I think this guy is going to be a pretty good player. I'm really not too impressed with the safeties as high draft picks this year. I think the drop off from the 'top' guys to those we can find in the 2nd and 3rd round isn't too bad.

I'm lost right now as to what we need to address on our team and when. I think fixing the interior of our OL is very important but then we'd be avoiding an impact defensive player we need so dearly.

DE is moving down on the list for me but a clogger DT is moving up. teams run up the middle on us way too easily. C, OG, DT, LB are glaring needs for us, imo. then we get into the more exciting positions like RB, CB and S that need some help too. Slaton is awesome, I like what I've seen from Green but not sure if he makes the team if we draft a guy, Moats looks really fast.

YoungTexanFan
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I cannot stress how much last year's 1st round pissed me off. It was clear the day we drafted Brown that he was trash. I have never once let off of this sentiment. Yes, Allen had some dirty hits, and he is a dirty player, but did no one notice how he blew by Brown? Brown is getting demolished and did so as well in college. So, this year comes around, and we are going to be in a spot to draft one of the top OT's (Smith/Oher/Moore). We can't draft one this year because of our last draft (We can't put that much $$ into one position, and we can't admit such an obvious failure: i.e. Travis Johnson)

mussop
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I cannot stress how much last year's 1st round pissed me off. It was clear the day we drafted Brown that he was trash. I have never once let off of this sentiment. Yes, Allen had some dirty hits, and he is a dirty player, but did no one notice how he blew by Brown? Brown is getting demolished and did so as well in college. So, this year comes around, and we are going to be in a spot to draft one of the top OT's (Smith/Oher/Moore). We can't draft one this year because of our last draft (We can't put that much $$ into one position, and we can't admit such an obvious failure: i.e. Travis Johnson)

If we could get a LT in this draft that is considered better than Brown right of the bat we would be stupid not too. That is one fo the good things about Brown is that he is suited very well to play guard. You slide him over into Breisals spot and our OL is tons better. There is no way this team passes up Oher if avcailable. If so i'll be stunned.

The1ApplePie
11-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Is it still possible to tank enough games to get Michael Crabtree?

Honoring Earl 34
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM

Can Brown play guard ?

Blake
11-09-2008, 10:02 PM

I dont agree with the Brown comments, but that is why you draft BPA and not reach for need.

dsorc
11-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Do people think we'll be picking in the top 5? I sincerely doubt Oher drops out of the top 5. Cincinnati, Detroit, Oakland, San Franciso, St. Louis could all use him and are all likely to pick before us. Unless we have a total collapse we'll probably be picking in the 10-12 range.

bah007
11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Orakpo has an ankle. If it wasn't for the ankle he'd be my choice bar none. This is the second year he's missed major time with ankel injuries....

It's actually been a knee both years.

Took an illegal hit on it last year and missed half the season.

Sprained it this year and missed one game.

I would take Orakpo or Curry.

mussop
11-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeh I guess if we are not going to the playoffs this year we at least have a top ten pick to trade down from. This is a deep draft and it would be nice to come out of it with 3 picks in the top 45 or 50 players. It would be nice to get Detroits late first and second round pick or even Phili's 2 number 1's for our top ten selectoin. I could really see a team like Phili going for that.

Duke Robinson OG 6-5, 335 Oklahoma
Alex Mack OC 6-4, 315 California Our OLine is set for years
Emanuel Cook FS 6-1, 205 South Carolina finnaly!
Donald Brown RB 5-10, 210 UConn Nice one two punch wit Slaton.
B.J. Raji DT 6-2, 325 Boston College for goaline and late game stops
Clay Mathews DE/LB USC special teams ace with potential

That would be a draft that made me really happy. .

Corrosion
11-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Is it still possible to tank enough games to get Michael Crabtree?

He's a fantastic prospect , I'd love to have the guy wearing Texans colors BUT .... does this team really need another WR ? .... Or could they use a few other positions like DE , OLB (or ILBmoving Ryans to OLB) , OG , C , S and CB ? (a big nasty DT would be nice too). Might even be in the market for a QB ....

Corrosion
11-10-2008, 02:21 AM
I'd look to trade down to the bottom third of the 1st round picking up a top third #2.

1) Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma
2a) Jonathan Luigs - C - Arkansas
2b) BPA - DE / OLB
3) BPA - DE / OLB

If its not possible to trade down , I'm taking Michael Johnson - DE -Georgia Tech to play opposite MW or Aaron Curry - OLB - Wake Forest .

Ole Miss Texan
11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Do people think we'll be picking in the top 5? I sincerely doubt Oher drops out of the top 5. Cincinnati, Detroit, Oakland, San Franciso, St. Louis could all use him and are all likely to pick before us. Unless we have a total collapse we'll probably be picking in the 10-12 range.

There is also Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe that are really highly rated LT's. Depending on the team, one or both could go before Oher.

But moving Duane Brown to guard intrigues me. Would this be a legitimate solution? After watching him so far this season what would yall say his strengths and weaknesses are? He gets blown up by speedy edge rushers, but how would he do against DT's straight up playing in the middle and not on the edge?

76Texan
11-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I think you guys maybe a bit too harsh on Duane Brown.
We've already known coming in that he can be beaten off the edge.
Need help from QBs to make the read and get rid of the ball when necessary.

I did think that we drafted him a bit higher than I thought, but I didn't mind that we did.
Look around the league for the last 3 years. There are several guys who were drafted higher at the position and they weren't as good or playing as much.

It was coaching decision to fast-track him, along with Briesel.
Sure seems like Kubiak wants to see the young line develop together.
And heck, it wasn't like other O-linemen were doing much better than Brown anyway.

It was Kubiak's decision not to resign Flanagan (too much money perhaps), McKinney nor Weary.
Not to play Salaam sooner so that Brown can watch and learn.
Not to give him more help like the opposition often do against Mario.
Baptized by the fire, sink or swim, so to speak.

Another thing I'd like to learn more of all the facts is to why he reported to camp around 327 lbs and is currently listed at 318 lbs currently on HoustonTexans.com. (They said the anxiety of the draft and the contract, bla bla bla.)

He was playing around 305-310 at VT, I believe. (The Hokies website still showed him at 308 lbs).
For a guy who also played some ST coverage and blocked some FGs it's hard to imagine that he has problem keeping his weigh under control.
And he was a TE just before the 05 season started.

Did the Texans coaches hurt him by having him bulking up???

76Texan
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM

I will be looking into Taylor Mays.
Big guy with good speed and range in the defensive backfield, I like that.

Spled
11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Anyone think George Selvie would be a good fit for us?

Texans Horror
11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
The Texans' two top needs are a second pass-rusher and a quarterback. Assuming Schaub is given one final year to develop, I see Kubiak taking the best quarterback that fits his system. Is this Harrell from Tech? I've heard he could fall to the second/third round. So to me, if you are drafting today, and the guy falls in your lap, you take Orakpo. The combination of him and Mario would make for a killer front line, which will improve the defense exponentially.

rollinstone18
11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Brandon Spikes over Maualuga if we go MLB.
Aaron Curry if we go SAM.
Selvie or Orakpo if we go DE.

I think Moore is going to drop to the 2nd. I hope we can get him then.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 11:27 AM
A guy who could fall into the late rounds, or not even get drafted (if he doesn't get an invitation to the combine,) is Duane Brown's old teammate at VT, Brandon Ore.

(Off-the-field problem in his Jr year at VT, perhaps even joining Okoye for some "field trip" LOL.)
He zoned out in classes, skipped study halls, missed team meetings and showed up late for classes.
Ore slipped up just before the Hokies headed to the Orange Bowl. He missed the first 45 minutes of a practice and was suspended for the first quarter of the game.
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/after-exit-tech-branden-ore-road-discovery
That got him kicked-off the team during the off-season.

Currently, he's listed at 5'11 - 212 lbs at West Liberty St.

He doesn't have burner speed (currently listed at 4.5) but is faster that he looks, and very well adapted to the ZBS scheme. He is also a good receiver out of the back field.
He looks stronger than Slaton, that's for sure.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
A guy who could fall into the late rounds, or not even get drafted (if he doesn't get an invitation to the combine,) is Duane Brown's old teammate at VT, Brandon Ore.

(Off-the-field problem in his Jr year at VT, perhaps even joining Okoye for some "field trip" LOL.)
He zoned out in classes, skipped study halls, missed team meetings and showed up late for classes.
Ore slipped up just before the Hokies headed to the Orange Bowl. He missed the first 45 minutes of a practice and was suspended for the first quarter of the game.

He doesn't have burner speed (currently listed at 4.5) but is faster that he looks, and very well adapted to the ZBS scheme. He is also a good receiver out of the back field.

Hell no.

Horrible character. Beamer couldn't even get him in check. If we picked up Branden Ore I would be more than pissed off. Not only is he a cancer, but he sucks.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Hell no.

Horrible character. Beamer couldn't even get him in check. If we picked up Branden Ore I would be more than pissed off. Not only is he a cancer, but he sucks.
Young guys can get into trouble, especially when his head is not in the classroom. In all reality, there are guys who just can't wait to go play and make some money.

But that's why I would only consider him with a low round pick or as an UDFA.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Young guys can get into trouble, especially when his head is not in the classroom. In all reality, there are guys who just can't wait to go play and make some money.

But that's why I would only consider him with a low round pick or as an UDFA.

If I remember correctly he always had an issue every year. Beamer gave the guy like 4 chances, and he just wouldn't take them.

76Texan
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
If I remember correctly he always had an issue every year. Beamer gave the guy like 4 chances, and he just wouldn't take them.
We're not looking to pay him much and we don't have to train him much either. And it's not like we depend on him to be the feature back. One slip and he can be gone.

Maybe the mistakes in the early years can turn out to be beneficial to him in the long run. I wouldn't cry if we don't take him! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
edited.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone think George Selvie would be a good fit for us?

Selvie can be a good fit for a lot of people, but he will be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB.

bah007
11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
The Texans' two top needs are a second pass-rusher and a quarterback. Assuming Schaub is given one final year to develop, I see Kubiak taking the best quarterback that fits his system. Is this Harrell from Tech? I've heard he could fall to the second/third round. So to me, if you are drafting today, and the guy falls in your lap, you take Orakpo. The combination of him and Mario would make for a killer front line, which will improve the defense exponentially.

No way in hell we find a QB in this pathetic draft class that will be better than Schaub.

The seniors all suck, with the exception of Harrell, who I don't particularly like as an NFL QB because he holds the ball forever in the pocket. I do love his ability to buy extra time though. He is very underrated in that capacity.

Not sold on Stafford if he comes out. Big arm, big hype, nothin else.

If some of the other juniors declare then maybe. Especially Nate Davis.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
There is also Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe that are really highly rated LT's. Depending on the team, one or both could go before Oher.

But moving Duane Brown to guard intrigues me. Would this be a legitimate solution? After watching him so far this season what would yall say his strengths and weaknesses are? He gets blown up by speedy edge rushers, but how would he do against DT's straight up playing in the middle and not on the edge?

He was rated so highly by our inept staff because of his athletic ability. His ability to seal the edge and slide his feet fast enough to cover the outside speed rusher. His "only" supposed weakness, as we were told when he was drafted, was his inability to stand up to the bull-rushes and the strength moves (This proved to be true as early as TC vs. Mario). However, as he proved at VT with at least 8 sacks given up, just his final year, he is incapable of handling even the speed rushers. So, we have a LT who isn't strong enough nor capable of holding the bull-rushers with power moves, and who isn't quick enough to block the edge rushers. Allen wasn't even touched by Brown on one of those dirty hits.

By God Texan fans, I swear to you: I am getting to the front office as quickly as I can.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 12:37 PM

This is the guy I want. He looks like an NFL QB already.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
No way in hell we find a QB in this pathetic draft class that will be better than Schaub.

The seniors all suck, with the exception of Harrell, who I don't particularly like as an NFL QB because he holds the ball forever in the pocket. I do love his ability to buy extra time though. He is very underrated in that capacity.

I like Stafford actually, but I'm not sold on a first round QB right now. I'm still of the belief that an elite QB is one of the last pieces you add, not the first. Harrell is a legit QB prospect, but probably barely a first day guy. He isn't an elite level QB and a lot of issues are distorted due to the scheme, having the best football player in America on his team, and 2-foot splits by a massive offensive line.

One Senior QB to avoid like the plague: Josh Freeman. Avoid him. I warn you fellows who don't follow the draft closely, do not be fooled by ideal size and some good measurables. Do not be fooled. He was KU's MVP in the game this year. Again: Do not be fooled by his 6'6, 255lb frame with a big arm. Stay away.

BigBull17
11-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Ok, Im not big on the neames, but who is the DE from South Florida? Id look into him. I also think Tebow would drop to later rounds, since he would have to overhaul alot of what he does and learn to play QB again.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:40 PM

No. Issues or not, he simply doesn't have the talent. Cut and dry.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Ok, Im not big on the neames, but who is the DE from South Florida? Id look into him. I also think Tebow would drop to later rounds, since he would have to overhaul alot of what he does and learn to play QB again.

Selvie, who is a top 15 type player, depending on his weight at draft time.

Tebow is a different animal entirely. He has proven actually over the last year and a half to have a very solid motion and a big time arm. He has cut down on his running this year. He still provides that option, but he has legit NFL size that can hold up. I'm starting to get more into his camp as a prospect.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Selvie, who is a top 15 type player, depending on his weight at draft time.

Tebow is a different animal entirely. He has proven actually over the last year and a half to have a very solid motion and a big time arm. He has cut down on his running this year. He still provides that option, but he has legit NFL size that can hold up. I'm starting to get more into his camp as a prospect.

Meh, I have seen him make some great throws but not often. Most of the throws he makes are to wide open receivers. Not sold on his accuracy one bit.

BigBull17
11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
14. Aaron Curry-OLB Wake Forest
This would be a MAJOR pick for us. It would toss Greenwood out and put someone in who has the ability, size, and speed to play the position well. If he was on the Board(which I dont think he will) we could also go get James Laurinaitis the Ohio State MLB. We could then move Meco to OLB. In either case Greenwood either hits the pine or hit the street. Either one is good in my book.

With our brilliant trade down we now have 2 2nds to play with.

Ok. those are my thoughts. Rip me apart!!!

If we move Ryans to OLB, I may kick a kitten. To pass on Willis, then 2 years later realize you need to move him, I will be pissed.

bah007
11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Tebow is just Vince Young with better mechanics right now.

If he stays at UF another year his NFL potential would be off the charts next year.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:47 PM
I think you guys maybe a bit too harsh on Duane Brown.

I did think that we drafted him a bit higher than I thought, but I didn't mind that we did.

Look around the league for the last 3 years. There are several guys who were drafted higher at the position and they weren't as good or playing as much.

It was coaching decision to fast-track him

Baptized by the fire, sink or swim, so to speak.

Did the Texans coaches hurt him

Sorry if these were the only parts I took out of your post, but this just screams David Carr and the C&C regime.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Tebow is just Vince Young with better mechanics right now.

If he stays at UF another year his NFL potential would be off the charts next year.

I don't agree with the top part. Vince never had the mechanics or the arm or the ability to progress through a read. Vince was never a real QB. Tebow has a big time arm and an NFL ready body. Tebow has showed a lot of development this year with his ability to make the reads and to sense the rush. He has cut down on his running after the first read. He's learned the check-down, and now that he has the records, he is becoming a true QB.

With that said, I really think another year at Florida is best for him as a prospect because of how far he had to come. I agree that his NFL potential goes up a lot after another year.

YoungTexanFan
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Meh, I have seen him make some great throws but not often. Most of the throws he makes are to wide open receivers. Not sold on his accuracy one bit.

To be honest with you, I'm not sold on his accuracy either, but I like his abilities. He hasn't lost any games. I wouldn't draft him to the Texans in his projected draft slot, but I like him to be an NFL QB somewhere, and somewhere down the road. Maybe a step or three above a healthy Brodie Croyle.

Hooston Texan
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
On the possibility of Branden Ore: if his off-field issues are so bad that even Beamer let him go, there is no way in the world he'll be a Texan. He's a decent enough RB, but pretty much in the dime-a-dozen category, holding character issues aside.

Expect every draft-eligible player who has a shot of going high in the draft to declare this year (more so than usual). Agents are already out in full force telling players that with taxes slated to rise on the top brackets in 2010--whether Congress acts or not--that the players have only a one-year window to make big bucks while the taxes are lower. Baseball is already seeing this as agents are trying to structure deals to get as much money to their clients in 2009 as possible. [I don't mean to invite political talk with this point, only to say that this is certainly a tact that will be taken with guys on the fence.]

76Texan
11-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Should we draft a Center and move Myers to G ?

If so, where do y'all see the guy from Cal vs. the guy from Alabama ?

I believe the Tides employ the ZBS.

bah007
11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
There are a ton of good centers in this draft.

Mack - Cal
Caldwell - Alabama
Luigs - Arkansas
Unger - Oregon
Wood - Louisville

I'm no expert on o lineman so I will differ to others, but to me, Mack looks like the all around best center in the class.

Caldwell plays with a mean streak and Luigs seems to play really intelligent (always seems to know what is going on around him).

Unger and Wood are good but not in the same class as the top three.

Wolf6151
11-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I voted to trade down and here's my trade. We send the #8 pick to Detroit (1400 points) for the first round pick they got from Dallas #20 (850 pts.) and Detroits own first pick in the 2nd round #33 (580 pts.) for a total of 1430 pts.. With the #20 pick we take Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest and with the #33 pick we take Myron Rolle SS Florida St. both of which will help our level of play against the run. Later in the 2nd round with our own #40 pick we take Jonathan Luigs C Arkansas cause Alex Mack will be gone by then. In the 3rd round we take Tyronne Green OG Auburn and in the 4th round we take Dorell Scott DT Clemson.

Texans Horror
11-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Flacco was supposed to suck, too, but he did pretty good against the Texans. No, I think the Texans need to find the right guy somewhere between Rds one and seven and develop him over the next year or two to take over as QB. I don't care if that's Stafford, Harrell, or somebody I haven't heard of. Draft somebody who isn't #8, and let them learn into the system. IMO the biggest reason why the Texans are 3-6 instead of 6-3 is the QB position.

Vinny
11-11-2008, 03:55 PM

Weren't you the guy who would rather have Brohm than Ryan (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=900971&postcount=27)? Lots of players will play better than we ever figured and tons will not be able to make the transition.

bah007
11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Flacco was supposed to suck, too, but he did pretty good against the Texans. No, I think the Texans need to find the right guy somewhere between Rds one and seven and develop him over the next year or two to take over as QB. I don't care if that's Stafford, Harrell, or somebody I haven't heard of. Draft somebody who isn't #8, and let them learn into the system. IMO the biggest reason why the Texans are 3-6 instead of 6-3 is the QB position.

LOL. Flacco was the highest or second-highest rated QB by a lot of the draft experts out there.

I hardly thinks that means he is supposed to suck.

You know what does suck? When the top QB's in a class are these guys:
Graham Harrell - Texas Tech (no offense to him, just not a 1st round talent)
Rhett Bomar - Sam Houston St
Nathan Brown - Central Arkansas
J.P. Wilson - Alabama

Unless some juniors declare, that is the wealth of talent we would be choosing from.

bah007
11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Weren't you the guy who would rather have Brohm than Ryan (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=900971&postcount=27)? Lots of players will play better than we ever figured and tons will not be able to make the transition.

No need to whip out my past posts. I can own up to being wrong on my own if you ask.

But yes. I thought Brohm had more NFL potential than Ryan. I thought Ryan would be the first QB chosen only because he was the most NFL ready at the time.

Too early to say I was wrong, but it certainly doesn't look good so far.

Vinny
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
No need to whip out my past posts. I can own up to being wrong on my own if you ask.

But yes. I thought Brohm had more NFL potential than Ryan. I thought Ryan would be the first QB chosen only because he was the most NFL ready at the time.

Too early to say I was wrong, but it certainly doesn't look good so far.

no need to ask..it's all here. You are talking to the guy who was gung ho for Rohan Davey back in 2002 you know...it's all good. I'm just saying that nobody has a crystal ball and to make absolute statements about the draft is folly.

bah007
11-11-2008, 04:06 PM
no need to ask..it's all here. You are talking to the guy who was gung ho for Rohan Davey back in 2002 you know...it's all good. I'm just saying that nobody has a crystal ball and to make absolute statements about the draft is folly.

I don't mean to pass my statements off as absolute. These are only my opinions but I've seen them echoed in other places as well so I feel pretty confident in them.

I also don't mean to come down on anyone who disagrees with me. I don't think I have yet, but if I did I apologize.

In the end, the draft is all a crapshoot and what I say doesn't mean a damn to anyone but myself anyway.

Vinny
11-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't mean to pass my statements off as absolute. These are only my opinions but I've seen them echoed in other places as well so I feel pretty confident in them.

I also don't mean to come down on anyone who disagrees with me. I don't think I have yet, but if I did I apologize.

In the end, the draft is all a crapshoot and what I say doesn't mean a damn to anyone but myself anyway.no apologies needed...I'm not coming down on you. This may be good year to trade back and take a QB for some franchise, but just because the top of the draft class isn't strong, doesn't make this class pathetic. Heck, most of the can't miss guys drafted early because they are ideal physical specimens don't work out anyway.....no issues with your overall contributions to the banter here when it comes to the incoming class of players. You seem to have a good eye for talent so I'm not calling you kastofsna or anything. :spit:

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I figure we will need to draft a QB in this draft class anyway, wither it be at the top or toward the bottom. Schaub is unproven, and succeptible to injury. Sage is done here after his meltdown with the Colts. He already had a poor start against Baltimore to pour a little salt on the wound. We need a young guy that these coaches, or new coaches, can teach. A guy like Henne last year would have been perfect, I was very impressed with Miami's draft last year. They had a fantastic draft last year. We need a guy to come in here and be the backup behind Schaub. Or atleast the third QB.

I like Nate Davis. He was actually less impressive than the last time I saw him tonight, but I still like what I see. He does a good job of getting a look at the whole field, using pump and head fakes, as well as looking off defenders.

Middle round guys: Cullen Harper from Clemson (Great 2007 year, Bad 2008 year thus far) and Curtis Painter.

We may take a QB at the top, but I hope not. We have too many holes to be throwing another young QB out into the fire immediately, and I can't see us picking a guy in the top 15 and sitting him on the bench. Maybe if we had more out there right now, but we just don't. We need impact players on defense, and another impact RB.

Corrosion
11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
You seem to have a good eye for talent so I'm not calling you kastofsna or anything. :spit:

..... :scarygirl:

................... :spit:

Corrosion
11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I figure we will need to draft a QB in this draft class anyway, wither it be at the top or toward the bottom. Schaub is unproven, and succeptible to injury. Sage is done here after his meltdown with the Colts. He already had a poor start against Baltimore to pour a little salt on the wound. We need a young guy that these coaches, or new coaches, can teach. A guy like Henne last year would have been perfect, I was very impressed with Miami's draft last year. They had a fantastic draft last year. We need a guy to come in here and be the backup behind Schaub. Or atleast the third QB.

I like Nate Davis. He was actually less impressive than the last time I saw him tonight, but I still like what I see. He does a good job of getting a look at the whole field, using pump and head fakes, as well as looking off defenders.

We may take a QB at the top, but I hope not. We have too many holes to be throwing another young QB out into the fire immediately, and I can't see us picking a guy in the top 15 and sitting him on the bench. Maybe if we had more out there right now, but we just don't. We need impact players on defense, and another impact RB.

Dont forget about the OL .....

WTB Center and Right Guard who dont get puched backwards every play.

Otherwise I'm with ya on the above post.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Dont forget about the OL .....

WTB Center and Right Guard who dont get puched backwards every play.

Otherwise I'm with ya on the above post.

Virginia Tech junior guard Sergio Render is a force. He is my favorite offensive lineman to watch this year.

Corrosion
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Virginia Tech junior guard Sergio Render is a force. He is my favorite offense lineman to watch this year.

Where do you see him going in the draft pending he declares ?

TexansSeminole
11-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Where do you see him going in the draft pending he declares ?

I have no idea because I don't know that much about the other lineman. He looks like atleast a 3rd rounder to me. Could be better, could be worse. Pretty sure he plays right guard for them too.

I'll tell you what, someone to look for in the future is Florida State Sophomore LG Rodney Hudson. Freshman All-American last year. Got ACC lineman of the week several times already this season. Would'nt be surprised if he was an All-American this year. I would be surprised if he wasn't a All-ACC first teamer. Coached by Rick Trickett (ex-West Virginia OL coach) in a zone blocking scheme. Trickett is a great coach too.

bah007
11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
He is only a true sophomore so he can't enter the draft, but whenever Eric Berry comes out for the draft we need to take a long look at him.

Giant Tiger
11-15-2008, 08:06 PM
I went with Michael Johnson, but I'm not opposed to a trade down. How does the QB class look next year? Rather than force a pick this year, why not bring in Ricky Ray of the Edmonton Eskimos for a look after the season? IIRC he passed Warren Moon for the most TD passes by an Eskimo QB this year. Can't hurt just to look at him. If he works out, we save a draft choice on a QB at least until next year & fill other needs.

threetoedpete
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
If we're sitting there at eight nine or ten..,.and Micheal Orh or Andre Smith are sitting on the board, any high end guy that gives you flexablity with what we already have.... something that slam dunks the ZBS o-line....I could see them doing it. Not saying they will. But ask yourself, if they had a running game....a constant running game; don't you think they'd be sitting here after the eight weeks at five and three instead of 3-5 ? Ohr looks like a perfect ZBS guard to me. Doubt he makes it that far... and I'm in agreement with everyones take...just saying.

Hottoddie
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Wow. The voting is pretty evenly distributed. I guess there is no consensus yet. Hopefully, Molden, Dunta & Adibi get more reps the rest of the way so that we can get a better idea of what we need to go after with our first pick.

Having said that, I'm starting to become more intrigued by the possibility of drafting Rey Maualuga & moving Demeco to OLB. Hear me out on this one. I haven't watched many of his games & have read where he tends to overrun the plays from time to time, but I've also read where he's extremely strong at the point of attack & has a mean streak. That's something this team is missing & needs desperately.

With the emergence of Diles, we only need one more LB'ing position to be upgraded. By taking Rey, we can move Demeco to OLB & more fully take advantage of his speed to get to the QB, which would somewhat offset us not taking a stud DE with the 1st pick. Also, Rey is strong enough to hold up to the pounding coming up the middle until our DT's grow into their positions. Demeco is taking a pounding & can't continue to do that much longer.

Another thing I read the other day from another poster was a question as to whether or not we could move Adibi to the safety position. He's got the ideal size, exceptional speed & has very good cover skills. Is that a possibility? If it is, then we shore up 2 positions by taking Maualuga

I personally believe we should take a DE with our 1st pick, but the more I think about taking Maualuga, the more I like it.

threetoedpete
11-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Better duck...Quack.

nunusguy
11-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I dunno, but doesn't Brian Orakpo project as a 3-4 OLB at the next level ?
Of course some may be predicting a new HC next year who will transition us back to the 3-4 ?

bah007
11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Of course some may be predicting a new HC next year who will transition us back to the 3-4 ?

Some people project him there because of his size and quickness.

But he won't get pushed around at RE in the NFL.

With a 550 bench, 675 squat, 380 power clean, 42 inch vertical, a 4.6 forty, plus solid production in college.....its gonna be hard for teams to pass on him.

Jackie Chiles
11-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow. The voting is pretty evenly distributed. I guess there is no consensus yet. Hopefully, Molden, Dunta & Adibi get more reps the rest of the way so that we can get a better idea of what we need to go after with our first pick.

Having said that, I'm starting to become more intrigued by the possibility of drafting Rey Maualuga & moving Demeco to OLB. Hear me out on this one. I haven't watched many of his games & have read where he tends to overrun the plays from time to time, but I've also read where he's extremely strong at the point of attack & has a mean streak. That's something this team is missing & needs desperately.

With the emergence of Diles, we only need one more LB'ing position to be upgraded. By taking Rey, we can move Demeco to OLB & more fully take advantage of his speed to get to the QB, which would somewhat offset us not taking a stud DE with the 1st pick. Also, Rey is strong enough to hold up to the pounding coming up the middle until our DT's grow into their positions. Demeco is taking a pounding & can't continue to do that much longer.

Another thing I read the other day from another poster was a question as to whether or not we could move Adibi to the safety position. He's got the ideal size, exceptional speed & has very good cover skills. Is that a possibility? If it is, then we shore up 2 positions by taking Maualuga

I personally believe we should take a DE with our 1st pick, but the more I think about taking Maualuga, the more I like it.

I like that idea as well because whats the use of rushing the passer if you can't stop the run worth a crap. It would be a very nice selection for next year but I don't think it would be the right selection for the future of the franchise. There should be some great DE and even LT prospects available at that point and those guys are just harder to find. The 2nd round is a better place to find value at LB imo. Look at the last few drafts and how many great ones are found there. I think its tougher to find a stud pass rusher (unless you are the NY Giants) in the mid rounds and anything found in the late rounds is kinda a crapshoot. I wouldn't be pissed if they picked Rey and for a while that was the direction I would have preferred but we only have 1 passrusher on this team and its not enough.

threetoedpete
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
LOL. Flacco was the highest or second-highest rated QB by a lot of the draft experts out there.

I hardly thinks that means he is supposed to suck.

You know what does suck? When the top QB's in a class are these guys:
Graham Harrell - Texas Tech (no offense to him, just not a 1st round talent)
Rhett Bomar - Sam Houston St
Nathan Brown - Central Arkansas
J.P. Wilson - Alabama

Unless some juniors declare, that is the wealth of talent we would be choosing from.

My personnel favorite is taking Daniels late and let him back up for Matty's annual bo-bo. Watched Chase Holbrock again yesterday. He's number ten on everyones list. If we draft the guy or take him as a FA...that's his number. 10.

Look he's 242, 6'5" and can throw every route in the book. Rocket arm no...but you don't need one in this offense. Just gotta be on time and on target. And...have the feet and mind to manage the pass rush in the pocket.

Lork88 or YTF out up the big twelve list of how he ranked the guys. Big gun arm with great athleticism on the edge....that's what I'm looking for in the next franchise guy...Josh Freeman, the kid at A & M....big arms, great feat.

Holbrook is not that....but he is better than what we have at the #3 spot. He can't be any worse turning the ball over than our 1 & 2 have been this season.

bah007
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
My personnel favorite is taking Daniels late and let him back up for Matty's annual bo-bo. Watched Chase Holbrock again yesterday. He's number ten on everyones list. If we draft the guy or take him as a FA...that's his number. 10.

Look he's 242, 6'5" and can throw every route in the book. Rocket arm no...but you don't need one in this offense. Just gotta be on time and on target. And...have the feet and mind to manage the pass rush in the pocket.

Lork88 or YTF out up the big twelve list of how he ranked the guys. Big gun arm with great athleticism on the edge....that's what I'm looking for in the next franchise guy...Josh Freeman, the kid at A & M....big arms, great feat.

Holbrook is not that....but he is better than what we have at the #3 spot. He can't be any worse turning the ball over than our 1 & 2 have been this season.

I'm not against taking one of these guys. I'm against taking one of these guys early.

The QB spot is a need for us, but there are spots on defense that are a black hole.

YoungTexanFan
11-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Orakpo will be just fine as a 4-3 DE. He isn't a small guy. He has plenty of girth to him. Selvie is a 3-4 guy most likely, but Orakpo is a legit 4-3 end.