PDA

View Full Version : Okoye out for Sunday?

houstonhurricane
11-06-2008, 11:37 PM
OKOYE OUT FOR SUNDAY
Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2008, 10:25 p.m. EST
With starting quarterback Matt Schaub and leading tackler Zac Diles already missing, Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye wonít dress for Sundayís game against the Ravens, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Okoye has a high ankle sprain. He didnít practice on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

Veteran Jeff Zgonina and rookie Frank Okam are expected to split reps on Sunday.

www.profootballtalk.com

Lucky
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
According to scout.com (http://profootball.scout.com/2/809134.html), Okoye has missed practice this week and will not be active this Sunday.

A league source told Scout.com that Houston Texans starting DTAmobi Okoye (high ankle) will not dress for Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens. Okoye didn't practice Wednesday or Thursday.

With Okoye out this week, look for veteran DT Jeff Zgonina and rookie DT Frank Okam to fill in. Zgonina, who has started 65 games in his 16 seasons of play, is likely to get the start this week.

In other team news Thursday, starting SLB Zac Diles (broken leg) was placed on injured-reserve. LB Kevis Coley was signed off of the practice squad to take his place on the active roster.

mexican_texan
11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
In his show on 610, Kubiak was asked about Molden and went on to say that he needs to see more out of Okam. It was pretty weird, he was talking about how Molden was playing well and all of a sudden mentioned Okam. I guess this explains it.

On the bright side, DelJuan has been playing well.

b0ng
11-06-2008, 11:48 PM
I figured Robinson would split the time (or just be the starter over) Zgonina. Least Okam is finally getting some reps (again).

J-Russ
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
http://www.appellationamerica.com/images/appellations/features/wve-white-flag-260.jpg

Really, I hope this will be Adibi and Okam coming out party.

The1ApplePie
11-07-2008, 01:59 AM
At least it can only improve our run defense

barrett
11-07-2008, 03:21 AM
i think Okoye has really improved as a run defender as has the entire defense. I don't think that's a fair statement. especially considering how Okam played in the preseason. Alot remains to be seen with him though. Well, both of them actually.

beerlover
11-07-2008, 04:31 AM
name change from the Texans to the Incredibles as in - you------got-----to-----be-----kidding? high ankle sprain is gonna take at least two-three weeks maybe four (not that I'm a Dr. just stayed in a Holiday Inn). all I got to say is they better reduce consession stand pricing, especially the beer :drunk:

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2008, 07:38 AM
name change from the Texans to the Incredibles as in - you------got-----to-----be-----kidding? high ankle sprain is gonna take at least two-three weeks maybe four (not that I'm a Dr. just stayed in a Holiday Inn). all I got to say is they better reduce consession stand pricing, especially the beer :drunk:

Why would they do that?...........they know that fans will need more of the yellow water to numb their senses...............and they need to make up for probable decreased attendance........you know, supply and DEMAND! When they see you coming, watch them bump the prices! :beerfunnel::beer:

CloakNNNdagger
11-07-2008, 07:47 AM
In his show on 610, Kubiak was asked about Molden and went on to say that he needs to see more out of Okam. It was pretty weird, he was talking about how Molden was playing well and all of a sudden mentioned Okam. I guess this explains it.

On the bright side, DelJuan has been playing well.

I don't know where I read it, but in the past month Kubiak was basically referring to Okams lack of consistent effort and commitment, a characteristic that was originally attributed to him in college and affected his scouting pic position in the draft.

Hagar
11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
In his show on 610, Kubiak was asked about Molden and went on to say that he needs to see more out of Okam.I watched the Minnesota game again last night and giving Okam a start may be a good thing. I slow motioned the run defense and DTs were getting blown off the ball all day. On the majority of plays TJ ended up 3 to 4 yards back behind the line of scrimmage. While we held Peterson in the first half, his second half explosion was very predictable.

I'm trying to figure out what Kubiak is seeing in the rest of his DT, because they're playing like crap. Yes, Okoye is playing like crap too. If Okam comes out a plays well, this maybe a situation were Frank is one of those "game day" players who doesn't practice. Kubiak is a big practice guy and therefore Okam doesn't look good to him. Maybe its wishful thinking that Okam will step up here because none of the other DT are.

chicagotexan2
11-07-2008, 09:22 AM
So he's been in all the previous games? I know he's young and it's only year 1.5, but this guy is not playing like a top 10 pick should. On the other hand he is playing like a Texans top 10 pick should.

Mr. White
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Travis Johnson v.2

noxiousdog
11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
So he's been in all the previous games? I know he's young and it's only year 1.5, but this guy is not playing like a top 10 pick should. On the other hand he is playing like a Texans top 10 pick should.

Steve McKinney thinks Okoye is doing fine, and now that he's retired, he's had no issues calling out Texan's players who aren't getting it done.

SeŮor Stan
11-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm trying to figure out what Kubiak is seeing in the rest of his DT, because they're playing like crap. Yes, Okoye is playing like crap too. If Okam comes out a plays well, this maybe a situation were Frank is one of those "game day" players who doesn't practice. Kubiak is a big practice guy and therefore Okam doesn't look good to him. Maybe its wishful thinking that Okam will step up here because none of the other DT are.

See: Leach, Vonta

mexican_texan
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I watched the Minnesota game again last night and giving Okam a start may be a good thing. I slow motioned the run defense and DTs were getting blown off the ball all day. On the majority of plays TJ ended up 3 to 4 yards back behind the line of scrimmage. While we held Peterson in the first half, his second half explosion was very predictable.

Practice? We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. I know I'm supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example . . . I know it's important . . . I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?

HJam72
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Maybe Okam just doesn't want to kill Myers in practice.

Sal Rosenberg
11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Travis Johnson v.2

No Please:texflag:

J-Russ
11-08-2008, 01:18 AM
I watched the Minnesota game again last night and giving Okam a start may be a good thing.

Injury notes: Defensive tackle Amobi Okoye sat out of practice with a high ankle sprain and could miss Sunday’s game. If Okoye does not play, rookie Frank Okam most likely will start in his place.

“We’ll probably go with Frank, go that direction and come up with a new rotation from that standpoint,” Kubiak said.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4852

Just confirming it.

spurstexanstros
11-08-2008, 01:50 AM
OKOYE OUT FOR SUNDAY
Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2008, 10:25 p.m. EST
With starting quarterback Matt Schaub and leading tackler Zac Diles already missing, Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye won’t dress for Sunday’s game against the Ravens, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Okoye has a high ankle sprain. He didn’t practice on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

Veteran Jeff Zgonina and rookie Frank Okam are expected to split reps on Sunday.

www.profootballtalk.com

offensive lines across the league say, " Who, is this Amobi character? Oh you mean the guy I leave to double team Mario, right?"

The next sack Amobi will get will be his first of the year right? He has had a lack luster year so far.

mexican_texan
11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
offensive lines across the league say, " Who, is this Amobi character? Oh you mean the guy I leave to double team Mario, right?"

The next sack Amobi will get will be his first of the year right? He has had a lack luster year so far.
A sack for a DT is pro bowl type numbers. Sacks mean nothing to that position.

b0ng
11-08-2008, 03:13 PM
A sack for a DT is pro bowl type numbers. Sacks mean nothing to that position.

Albert Haynesworth begs to differ.

Also, sacks are important to ANY player on a defensive line. If a DT is getting to the QB and picking up lots of sacks, then usually that means he's a complete badass. I can't think of any DT who picked up lots of sacks and wasn't thought of as at least "good" if not "great".

Vinny
11-08-2008, 03:16 PM
well, to be honest, if Okoye can't play we aren't losing anything. On the plus side, I've stated that we needed a (quality) big (as in supersized) DT to man the middle for years. Guys like that implode the line a few times a game (see Meyers game tape for examples), keep interior linemen off DeMeco, hold their ground in the red zone and in short yardage situations, and make it tough for QB's to step UP in a pocket. I've never understood building a D line for pass rushing situations only...that's pretty much what the Texans did, and that part of the line responsibility isn't very good to boot.