PDA

View Full Version : Zac Diles injured....out for season

J-Russ
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=156885

Mattj is a radio host in Houston, I think. 610 or 790, I don't remember.

Here's what he reported:

Zach Diles got carted off at practice today...details at 2....

Well, all the Diles hater don't have to worry bout bitching about our team's best LB this season after every game now! :rolleyes:

stingray
11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Great.....:gun:

Hardcore Texan
11-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Not good at all. I guess Adibi will be activated, if he's even healthy himself.

TimeKiller
11-05-2008, 12:50 PM
If it's MattJ as in Matt Jackson then 610.

I guess this isn't the worst thing that could've happened...but...it's about 1 position away from it.

Adibi, where art thou?

gtexan02
11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
I guess now we'll know how far Ryans has fallen or how healthy he really is. If his tackles remain low even with Diles out, then we know Ryans is having some trouble this year.

This really sucks. Diles was one of the few bright spots on our defense

nero THE zero
11-05-2008, 12:59 PM
...and our season begins to unravel.

This Sunday we start fighting for our draft position.

beerlover
11-05-2008, 01:02 PM
wonder if they move Kevis Coley from practice squad to active roster?

Texecutioner
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Man that hurts! He was starting to really play well for us.

Hard knocks are starting hit us on injuries. First Shaub and now Diles. Damn.

mexican_texan
11-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm fairly sure he was cut

TheRealJoker
11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
That's a huge blow to the defense.

Ryans is gonna have to return to his old self ASAP or the swiss cheese defense is gonna get even worse :(

rollinstone18
11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
super lame.

Diles was improving every week.

scourge
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I still say that Ryans is injured, resulting in the mediocre play.

mexican_texan
11-05-2008, 01:24 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6096833.html

Gone for the season.

Diles, the team's leading tackler, broke a tibia during a special teams drill before Wednesday's practice.

The injury came during a non-contact drill.

Diles will be replaced by Kevin Bentley, who signed with the Texans as a free agent from Seattle.

Diles will undergo surgery and have a rod placed in the leg. Coach Gary Kubiak said rookie Xavier Adibi also figures into the team's plans at linebacker now that Diles is lost for the season.

"I feel terrible for Zach because he was playing so well, but through adversity comes opportunity," Kubiak said.

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 01:27 PM

I'm fairly sure he was cut

Nope - he's still there, although I did just see that the Dolphins signed Brandon Frye off of the practice squad. The spot's already been filled with some guy named Anthony Oakley. Don't know anything about him, but maybe he's got a shot?

GP
11-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Gone for the season.

If true, the thread title needs to be edited to read:

Zac Diles out for season...broken tibia

Brando
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Gone for the season.

Well with Schaub out for 2-4 weeks and Diles now out for the season this is a bummer. So who fills in for Diles, Adibi,Coley or can Bentley play OLB?

edit: Bentley can play OLB, cool, I liked what I have seen from him in the times he has played. Adibi will get more playing time, I hope he can stay healthy.

GP
11-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Kubiak said:

"I feel terrible for Zach because he was playing so well, but through adversity comes opportunity..."

WHAT?!?!

"...through adversity comes opportunity..."

Am I missing the context of this? Because taken as it is, it comes across as extremely foolish to say that Zac is now going to have "opportunity" due to this injury--What "opportunity" is there for Zac? An opportunity to lose playing time until preseason game # 1 in 2009? An opportunity to undergo surgery, and have to watch everyone else and hobble around on crutches and have his leg itch and stink due to the cast? Yeah, that's a golden opportunity...(sigh)

If taken the other way, then the comment means that the "opportunity" is for someone below Zac on the depth chart. And that means, "Well, Zac. That's a bummer for YOU...but, look on the bright side of this deal: Someone else gets to play in your spot!"

There's no freaking "opportunity" to be had here, Gary Kubiak. We just lost one of the only guys on the defense who was playing well. Someone please tell me I should have read more of the article than just the quote above. Tell me our head coach did not just say that.

Malloy
11-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Opportunity for another player to step up, nothing else.

Think you're reading too much into his statement :)

J-Russ
11-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Opportunity... for rookies? I guess Kubiak is in tank mode as well.

Hervoyel
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
...and our season begins to unravel.

This Sunday we start fighting for our draft position.

Whose games have you been watching? a season has to "ravel" before it can unravel and we've got a 3 game home winning streak over teams that were a combined 2-3,768 or some such to hang our hats on.

Zach Diles will really not even be missed this week. I'm sure we can give up our usual 28-34 points with a replacement in his spot if we try hard. Reeves might have to play with one eye covered to do it but I have faith that he's got it in him to get it done.

Oh and we should all look on the bright side. Now with Diles going down Richard Smith is well on his way to having another excuse for his defense to finish around 25th in the league. It'll buy him another season because we all know that nobody on earth can build a defense without 11 quality starters that stay healthy all year long. It's unpossible!

gwallaia
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, Damn!

mexican_texan
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Kubiak said:

"I feel terrible for Zach because he was playing so well, but through adversity comes opportunity..."

WHAT?!?!

Am I missing the context of this? Because taken as it is, it comes across as extremely foolish to say that Zac is now going to have "opportunity" due to this injury--What "opportunity" is there for Zac? An opportunity to lose playing time until preseason game # 1 in 2009? An opportunity to undergo surgery, and have to watch everyone else and hobble around on crutches and have his leg itch and stink due to the cast? Yeah, that's a golden opportunity...(sigh)

If taken the other way, then the comment means that the "opportunity" is for someone below Zac on the depth chart. And that means, "Well, Zac. That's a bummer for YOU...but, look on the bright side of this deal: Someone else gets to play in your spot!"

There's no freaking "opportunity" to be had here, Gary Kubiak. We just lost one of the only guys on the defense who was playing well. Someone please tell me I should have read more of the article than just the quote above. Tell me our head coach did not just say that.
Chill out. He's saying Adibi has an opportunity to play now.

GP
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Opportunity for another player to step up, nothing else.

Think you're reading too much into his statement :)

Yeah, but it's still an opportunity at the expense of a player who was getting his job done. If that's the context of his statement, I am just baffled by Kubiak.

I mean, seriously. That's a real encouraging thing for a player to hear, for your head coach to basically go "Eh. Someone else will step up."

Nice. :shades:

GP
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Chill out. He's saying Adibi has an opportunity to play now.

You, too?

Sheesh... :mcnugget:

If it was a player who was being a cancer in the locker room, and he had been benched by the HC...to let a humble guy come up and do the job...I can understand. But to say this about a guy who was injured, as if it's no biggee because it just means there's an opportunity for someone else?

Zac Diles earned that freaking spot. But, like someone else I've been following in the papers and on TV, it's a good thing when someone else gets a shot at another's expense.

I'm imposing a ban on myself from this board. Now.

Hervoyel
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Why couldn't it have been Jaques Reeves who gave some other player an opportunity to "step up"?

Malloy
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
"I feel terrible for Zach because he was playing so well..."

I would find this encouraging if I were Diles.

valleytexfan
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
of course...:brickwall:

Mari-OWNED!
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah, but it's still an opportunity at the expense of a player who was getting his job done. If that's the context of his statement, I am just baffled by Kubiak.

I mean, seriously. That's a real encouraging thing for a player to hear, for your head coach to basically go "Eh. Someone else will step up."

Nice. :shades:

Gotta agree with GP here. Kubiak's statement makes no sense in this situation. Diles had been playing great football. This is a loss, not an opportunity for another player to step up.

MeLoveTexans
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I said it before.. Texans have horrible luck.

I think that Bud Adams must have crept into Reliant stadium when it was being built and buried one of his toupees in the foundation to curse us.

J-Russ
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Gotta agree with GP here. Kubiak's statement makes no sense in this situation. Diles had been playing great football. This is a loss, not an opportunity for another player to step up.

you have got to be kidding me... I'm really curious, if you were the HC for the Texans what would you're response be?

"Oh noes, we're screwed. Our league worst defense is going to get worst now with our leading tackler out. We have no one on this team that can replace Diles, but Bentley and Adibi can do there best. I just doubt they can do half of what Diles did for us." ?

Polo
11-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I can't believe there are people actually complaining that Kubiak said Diles injury is a chance for another player to step up.

Especially considering he says it pretty much everytime a player gets injured.

nero THE zero
11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Whose games have you been watching? a season has to "ravel" before it can unravel and we've got a 3 game home winning streak over teams that were a combined 2-3,768 or some such to hang our hats on.

I should have said, "...and our season continues to unravel." It began last Sunday in Minnesota when Schuab tore his ACL.

Mari-OWNED!
11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
you have got to be kidding me... I'm really curious, if you were the HC for the Texans what would you're response be?

"Oh noes, we're screwed. Our league worst defense is going to get worst now with our leading tackler out. We have no one on this team that can replace Diles, but Bentley and Adibi can do there best. I just doubt they can do half of what Diles did for us." ?

I just read the whole statement, and it makes much more sense now. From what I read on the boards it just seemed like Kubiak could care less that Diles broke his leg.

nero THE zero
11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey Cloak, what are the long term implications of this injury?

Double Barrel
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
"The Houston Texans, I believe, are the most unluckiest team I have ever seen."
~ Bum Phillips

:howdy: yep, I agree!

Grid
11-05-2008, 02:31 PM
"Through adversity comes opportunity"

Its just a saying. A way of saying that when you are challenged, you are given the chance to step up and become a stronger person.

Its just a positive way of looking at a bad situation. Cmon people.. lets not get too critical.

LORK 88
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
You, too?

Sheesh... :mcnugget:

If it was a player who was being a cancer in the locker room, and he had been benched by the HC...to let a humble guy come up and do the job...I can understand. But to say this about a guy who was injured, as if it's no biggee because it just means there's an opportunity for someone else?

Zac Diles earned that freaking spot. But, like someone else I've been following in the papers and on TV, it's a good thing when someone else gets a shot at another's expense.

I'm imposing a ban on myself from this board. Now.
I really think you're misinterpreting Kubiak's statement. Keep in mind Kubiak is the one who started him this season without much previous experience, and did so without hesitation. Kubiak loves Diles, make no mistake about it. I interpreted it as "we'll miss Zac, but this is an opportunity for Adibi and Bentley to step up and prove themselves". I'd much rather have him say something like that rather than "Diles was playing up to Ryans level, we're screwed now"! A statement like that would show A) Diles meant way too much to us on defense B) we weren't prepared for injury or anything else common in the NFL.

Arky
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4840

Check out the full response at the main site - better explanation...

DiehardChris
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I guess Adibi will miraculously get over the season-long "illness" he's had to this point.

I think Bentley can fill in fairly well - and I also imagine they'll promote Kevis Coley up off the practice squad, perhaps? I'm pretty surprised no team has signed Coley off our PS. Seems like he could stick somewhere as the last LB on the active roster.

Porky
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Well this sucks. It IS an opportunity for someone else to step up, be that Adibi and/or Bentley. That's simply a statement of fact. What next, critize Kubiak when he says it's hot in the summer. :foottap:

PapaL
11-05-2008, 03:19 PM
*sigh*

disaacks3
11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Diles, the team's leading tackler, broke a tibia during a special teams drill before Wednesday's practice.

The injury came during a non-contact drill. How do you break a Tibia in a "non-contact" drill? What'd he do, run into a goalpost or something?

Why couldn't it have been Jaques Reeves who gave some other player an opportunity to "step up"? That requires "luck"...that rarest of diseases which the Texans seem to have a built-in resistance to.

YellerLotYeller
11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
No insightful, ground breaking response here....just a whole lot of pissedoffness. :gun:

drewmar74
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM
No insightful, ground breaking response here....just a whole lot of pissedoffness. :gun:

Agreed.

So, Bentley is going to step up?

Didn't he play somewhat effectively in relief earlier this year?

hradhak
11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Man this blows. We really don't have much going for us at this point

Hervoyel
11-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Agreed.

So, Bentley is going to step up?

Didn't he play somewhat effectively in relief earlier this year?

Bentley is going to be a machine! He's going to have people buying Bentley jerseys by the end of the season. You can bank on that.

will742
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Nooooooo Zac! :yikes:

I'm also looking forward to see what Bentley can do, but I don't see him as a long term replacement.

drewmar74
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Bentley is going to be a machine! He's going to have people buying Bentley jerseys by the end of the season. You can bank on that.

:mcnugget:

Ryan
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Crap :gun:

A very solid LB Corps just turned into a sub par one.

maddogmrb
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM

Yeah, you're right. He's just been buried behind our talented and deep LB squad!!

Best wishes to Diles for a full recovery and a better year next year.

Rex King
11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I still say that Ryans is injured, resulting in the mediocre play.

He addressed this on some radio show last night. He kind of waffled, but basically admitted that his ankle has been bothering him and slowing him down some. I don't think Kubiak wanted opposing offenses to know this with his "everyone's banged up this time of year" comment, but I think it would be pretty apparent that he doesn't have his usual mobility.

This hurts in more ways than one. Bentley showed some ability when he played earlier this year, but now he can't spell DeMeco if he needs the rest.

RagingBull
11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Kubiak said:

WHAT?!?!

Kubiak said the same thing last year when AJ went down. And Walters and Davis took advantage of it... I think he is hoping for something similar to come out of Diles injury. Maybe we can find Greenwoods replacement from this.

b0ng
11-05-2008, 06:03 PM

I can't tell if you're being serious because you've like followed this guy your entire life and now you get to tell us about this uncovered gem. Or if this is a "haha we're screwed" joke.

But either way this injury certainly doesn't help anything at all. I don't mind Kubiak's statement because it's true. Because of this adversity (injury) somebody is going to get an opportunity (his replacement). Saying nice things that would make Diles feel good isn't his job. Time to find somebody to fill the hole and hopefully we don't start trying to rival Denver with "Who has the shittiest defense" competition.

So yeah, Bentley stepped up nice for RYANS when he was called (I forget which game it was, but I could've sworn that it was against somebody at home) and it looks like he's going to get about all the playing time he can handle.

Insideop
11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
How do you break a Tibia in a "non-contact" drill? What'd he do, run into a goalpost or something?

That requires "luck"...that rarest of diseases which the Texans seem to have a built-in resistance to.

Heard on 610 a little while ago that Diles accidentally kicked himself in the other leg while doing the drill, and that he kicked himself so hard that it broke his tibia. Unbelievable!

Also, they mentioned that N.D. Kalu had been cut before the Diles accident to make room for Nalls, the new QB, and that Frye had been picked off the PS by Miami. What a day! :gun:

mussop
11-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Youre all over reacting. Its not like we lost an all pro. Yeh the guy has been racking up tackles but how many of those tackles have been for a loss or caused a turnover or was a big stop at an important time? Sheese you would thing we just lost LT for the year! Im more concerned about Ryans performance of lack there of than loosing Zac.

alphajoker
11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Unfreaking-believable...<sigh>

Joe Texan
11-05-2008, 06:58 PM
What a sorry piece of crap post. I liked Zac and we need him.

Crap

Joe Texan
11-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh and Mattj is probably Matt Jackson of the Rich and Matt show
Prime time players or something like that.

mexican_texan
11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Rappers love Bentley for some reason.

Hagar
11-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Hate to say this to y'all but breaking a tibia is a possible career ending injury ala Fred Weary and Charles Spencer.

While Spencer is still playing, he has never recouped his previous abilities. Spencer is listed a the second string RT & LT for the Jags.

TexanBacker93
11-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Hate to say this to y'all but breaking a tibia is a possible career ending injury ala Fred Weary and Charles Spencer.

While Spencer is still playing, he has never recouped his previous abilities. Spencer is listed a the second string RT & LT for the Jags.

It all depends on where the fracture happens. If it's in the tibial plateau like with Spencer it can be career threatening. A regular break in the shaft of the bone shouldn't have a long term effect.

I broke my tibia and was back to normal in 6 weeks. Granted I was 7, but recess could be pretty physical back then.

maddogmrb
11-06-2008, 08:42 AM
I broke my tibia and was back to normal in 6 weeks. Granted I was 7, but recess could be pretty physical back then.

Matt Schaub was excused from recess!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

steelbtexan
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Non contact injury

Another Riley protege of the high impact training routine.

Fire Riley

Good luck & getwell soon Zac