PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Release DeAngelo Hall - Texans rumored to be in mix

Mike Kerns
11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
This guy must be just a jerk or something...

Raiders to release CB Hall

Posted: November 4th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: DeAngelo Hall, Oakland Raiders

Oakland captured the NFL’s attention when it fired Lane Kiffin and hired Tom Cable. Now it is about to do it again — in a far more stunning fashion.

The Raiders are on the verge of releasing Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall on Wednesday, according to multiple NFL sources.

If they do — and the team was planning on doing it Tuesday before it held off — Oakland will have paid Hall $8 million for eight games and Atlanta a second-round pick for the cornerback’s services.

Oakland is planning to waive him now so as to avoid paying Hall the $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract. It is too much of a risk for a Raiders team that still needs to do more rebuilding.

If Oakland follows through, Hall would be placed on waivers, leaving playoff contenders with the question of whether they should put in a claim for him. If Hall goes unclaimed, he would be free to sign with any team.

Last off-season, when the Falcons shopped Hall, the teams most interested in the cornerback were the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Washington Redskins. The New England Patriots also have been in search of cornerback help.

Any one of those teams could put in a waiver claim for Hall, but it would be obligated to pick up his contract. If no one claims Hall, he could sign with the team of his choosing.

But this much is known: Hall’s time in Oakland has been brief and looks to be coming to a close. The curtain could drop Wednesday, if not Tuesday night.

Mike Kerns
11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Sorry, here is the link:

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Runner
11-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow. That franchise is so screwed up - no news there. I know the Raiders pull chicken crap moves to save a couple hundred thousand dollars with vets. Watching them then throw away millions on "big name" free agents makes me hate the business side of football. (If a can use that term in this case).

stingray
11-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Worst run organization in Pro sports. Even worse than the Clippers.

Hagar
11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Since I haven't seen the Raider's play all year, I wonder if Hall is playing badly or if Al's realized how ridiculous that contract was?

Also, I wonder how much dead weight the Raiders are carrying on their cap number?

Bang Cartoons presents "Al Heimer" (http://www.bangcartoon.com/2008/alsheimers.htm)

Chicagotexan1
11-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Those ahole fans deserve this team and it's deranged owner. Maybe we should shop Weaver, Reeves and Green.

J-Russ
11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Was just going to post this. Wow Atlanta just 'Phillip Buchannoned' the Raiders. Lawllll. What's next? JaMarcus on the trade block for a 5th rounder?

nunusguy
11-04-2008, 10:06 PM
That is a stunner. Hall, taken #8 overall and the first CB picked in the 2004 Draft just aheah of D-Rob who was the 10th pick, was a real prospect coming out of Virginia and early in his career he produced but dunno for sure what went wrong ?
I can't help but be reminded how disposing of the troublesome Hall and receiving a high Draft pick for that trade with Oakland was one of a batch of smart moves made by ATL that has quickly turned around that franchise from an NFL organization that was badly listing at the end of the Micahel Vick era into one that's now on the fast track to success and the playoffs again.

bah007
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Hall took the league by storm early in his career because of his Deion-like speed.

He has poor route awareness, and almost always falls for double moves.

He has the speed to cover up his mistakes against decent WR's, but gets schooled every time he faces a #1.

The guy was overrated in ATL & they traded him when his value was still high. Great move by the Falcons.

By trading for Hall, the Raiders again proved that they are the worst-run organization in the NFL (as if we needed any more proof).

J-Russ
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Heard Huff is going to be released as well, maybe some more guys. This could be our chance to grab that FS we be needing for some times now.

Silver Oak
11-04-2008, 10:47 PM
In the wake of the news that the Raiders soon will release cornerback DeAngelo Hall, a league source tells us that as many as 15 other current members of the team could be gone before next year.

The source believes that the purge will include receiver Javon Walker and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.

As to Hall, we’re told that the reasons given for the move include a desire to devote the money that Hall would receive over the next year ($16.5 million) to inking cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a long-term deal, and to sign other players.

Also, don’t be shocked if someone makes a waivers claim on Hall. We’re told that interested teams include the Patriots, Texans, Giants, Redskins, Rams, and Saints. Several teams have the money to pay Hall — and getting him for $16 million in guaranteed money could be regarded as a bargain.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/04/hall-the-first-step-of-a-silver-and-black-purge/

Silver Oak
11-04-2008, 10:48 PM
dammit...just posted same in Texans Talk. Ooops.

The1ApplePie
11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Hall's passion and mean streak would be great for our defense

His idiocy and jackassery would not be welcomed though

Kaiser Toro
11-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I have never been a fan. It has nothing to with him having flare, in fact I believe that of all of the positions I do not mind a cornerback on the island to beat his chest and talk smack. I just think he is all show and no flow.

Kaiser Toro
11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I am merging into Texan Talk since it is a tasty morsel and the Texans are quoted in the rumor piece. If we drop off the radar we will move it back to the NFL forum.

Honoring Earl 34
11-04-2008, 10:55 PM
They are going to release Tommy Kelly DT whom they just gave a big contract .

BSofA04
11-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Incredibly dumb on the Raiders organization. But to hell with them, if they drop anyone playing CB or S that's worth a damn, let's bring them in!

ArlingtonTexan
11-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Hall's passion and mean streak would be great for our defense

His idiocy and jackassery would not be welcomed though

I am not sure he really has passion and mean streak, more ego and lack of football smarts. While better, he has some Jacques Reeves to him. Can run and stay with anybody, but does he really make the amount of plays his physical skills dictate. Overall, though if the texans claim (get) him I have nothing to complain about, just not sold that he is as good as his reputation.

J-Russ
11-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't know how many teams would want to pick up Hall's through the wire, with his huge contract. I wonder if Rick Smith is willing to, or if he rather just battle it out with other teams and try to win in via UFA. Is he even worth his contract with Oakland? I been hearing mix things from peoples saying he was one of the top 5 CB last year with Falcons and other times he get burn much more then he make plays.

Htownsportsfan
11-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Heard Huff is going to be released as well, maybe some more guys. This could be our chance to grab that FS we be needing for some times now.

Where did you hear this? I just watched A. Schefter on the NFLN and he only mentioned Hall. Stated they did not want to take the risk on his contract since he had a guarentee. However you gotta think the fact he has a tendency to be a cancer in the locker room when his teams are playing badly. They paid him 8 million for 8 games thats a hell of a payday.

mussop
11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
has he ever returned kicks? I cant remember.

J-Russ
11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Where did you hear this? I just watched A. Schefter on the NFLN and he only mentioned Hall. Stated they did not want to take the risk on his contract since he had a guarentee. However you gotta think the fact he has a tendency to be a cancer in the locker room when his teams are playing badly. They paid him 8 million for 8 games thats a hell of a payday.

Heard it from a clutchfan's poster. There are a possible of 15 players that will be released. Don't rule anybody out unless their names are JaMarcus Russell, Darren McFadden, or Nnamdi Asomadgi(sp?).

Oh btw, Michael Bush was on the trade block not to long ago... just throwing that out there. Time to get off the packers and broncos and start leeching from the raiders.

Htownsportsfan
11-04-2008, 11:28 PM
I found this article refering to the fact they might release others per Al's request.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3683124&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

mexican_texan
11-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I'll take him. Can't say he's any worse than Reeves.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Where does it say the Texans are rumored to be interested?

*Edit* Nevermind, I see it now.

mexican_texan
11-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Since I haven't seen the Raider's play all year, I wonder if Hall is playing badly or if Al's realized how ridiculous that contract was?

Also, I wonder how much dead weight the Raiders are carrying on their cap number?

Bang Cartoons presents "Al Heimer" (http://www.bangcartoon.com/2008/alsheimers.htm)
Hall said he lost all desire to play football in Oakland. Can you blame him? When even $50 million or whatever isn't enough to make you want to play football in Oakland...it's a sign that there's something horribly wrong in that organization.

Norg
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I think we need to shop for a better FS or OLB before CB

we still got barbers brother FOr CB maybe hes good when he comes back

mussop
11-05-2008, 12:13 AM
I think we need to shop for a better FS or OLB before CB

we still got barbers brother FOr CB maybe hes good when he comes back

Are you kidding???? If we have the chance to upgrade any position without affecting the ability of the team to improve in the future we would be irresposnible for us to not do it.

The1ApplePie
11-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Hall has only really become a locker room cancer when he had to deal with

1. Petrino (half the team was at that point)
2. Al Davis

scourge
11-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I would rather have Huff if he becomes available, but considering what we have, taking a shot on Hall can't be all that bad. I doubt he is any worse than Faggins/Reeves/Buchanon

jamil
11-05-2008, 12:39 AM
hall and huff? i'll take both!

Mari-OWNED!
11-05-2008, 12:52 AM
I would welcome DeAngelo Hall with open arms! Lets get this guy in a Texans uniform!

IlliniJen
11-05-2008, 12:53 AM
In related news, my friends and I have determined that Al Davis is no longer a living being but rather an animatronic human, much like the bear band at Chuck E. Cheese.

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20070730/character_billybob.jpg

TexanSam
11-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Kind of shocking.

Probably not a great locker room guy.

JayCee
11-05-2008, 01:18 AM
if a player clears waivers, does that mean their previous contact becomes void?

Insideop
11-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Heard it from a clutchfan's poster. There are a possible of 15 players that will be released. Don't rule anybody out unless their names are JaMarcus Russell, Darren McFadden, or Nnamdi Asomadgi(sp?).

Oh btw, Michael Bush was on the trade block not to long ago... just throwing that out there. Time to get off the packers and broncos and start leeching from the raiders.

Well, if Bush is released, I hope we go after him. We need RB help now! Slaton is the only one we can count on now, Moats has only been with the team a short while and Green is, surprise surprise, injured again! As for Hall and Huff, not sure, maybe give a look see at Huff. JMHO!

Shaft75
11-05-2008, 02:19 AM
If we did pick up Hall and his large contract, I would like to know how it would potentially affect us signing DRob this offseason.

The free agent market for big name cbs is always expensive. Just look at how much we paid Jacques "turn around, bright eyes" Reeves.

However, if we can bring him in, it would be a huge step towards shoring up our secondary. He should be nearing his prime.

Imagine he and DRob as a tandem with Bennett and maybe a coached up Molden at nickel. Sounds great to me. Throw in a ss, olb and de and we would be solid.

Dan B.
11-05-2008, 05:05 AM
In related news, my friends and I have determined that Al Davis is no longer a living being but rather an animatronic human, much like the bear band at Chuck E. Cheese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8AwQHusZw&feature=related

There's a whole freaking series of these. You can even buy your own band (http://www.geekologie.com/2008/07/rockafire_explosion_band_for_s.php).

Lucky
11-05-2008, 06:24 AM
To pickup Hall on waivers, the Texans would have to pickup Hall's remaining contract. The Texans are about $3 million under the salary cap (according to Keith Weiland's salary cap page at inthebullseye.com (http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap.html)). I think I will move this to the NFL forum, until someone can prove that the Texans can afford to pickup Hall. Much less should.

CloakNNNdagger
11-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Hall took the league by storm early in his career because of his Deion-like speed.

He has poor route awareness, and almost always falls for double moves.

He has the speed to cover up his mistakes against decent WR's, but gets schooled every time he faces a #1.

The guy was overrated in ATL & they traded him when his value was still high. Great move by the Falcons.

By trading for Hall, the Raiders again proved that they are the worst-run organization in the NFL (as if we needed any more proof).

Yeh, sounds like the Schaub move........great move..........for the Falcons.

Kaiser Toro
11-05-2008, 08:16 AM
To pickup Hall on waivers, the Texans would have to pickup Hall's remaining contract. The Texans are about $3 million under the salary cap (according to Keith Weiland's salary cap page at inthebullseye.com (http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap.html)). I think I will move this to the NFL forum, until someone can prove that the Texans can afford to pickup Hall. Much less should.

If no one picks him up he is a free agent. Should he picked up wouldn't the team only be liable for eight games at ~5m this year? A simple restructuring of a contract elsewhere would do the trick. However, the ramifications on a Dunta re-signing would be hampered in my opinion and tie us to a CB that is coming off a bad injury and an over priced CB in Hall.

HoustonFrog
11-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I can see the Cowboys making a huge push. They need it desperately. I don't agree much with sports radio guys but Dre said he thought the teams that should make this move are ones in the playoff hunt that need a push and not teams that are just trying to add on with a losing record when there is no future for the guy on the team.

Texan_Bill
11-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I can see the Cowboys making a huge push. They need it desperately. I don't agree much with sports radio guys but Dre said he thought the teams that should make this move are ones in the playoff hunt that need a push and not teams that are just trying to add on with a losing record when there is no future for the guy on the team.

Why would Dallas make a push for Hall, than?? :whistle:

Specnatz
11-05-2008, 08:59 AM

Because they do not have enough head cases.

HoustonFrog
11-05-2008, 09:02 AM

LOL, pretty funny TB. 5-4 is in the hunt:)

Hervoyel
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
If we did pick up Hall and his large contract, I would like to know how it would potentially affect us signing DRob this offseason.

The free agent market for big name cbs is always expensive. Just look at how much we paid Jacques "turn around, bright eyes" Reeves.

However, if we can bring him in, it would be a huge step towards shoring up our secondary. He should be nearing his prime.

Imagine he and DRob as a tandem with Bennett and maybe a coached up Molden at nickel. Sounds great to me. Throw in a ss, olb and de and we would be solid.

....as soon as we fire "Dick" Smith and get somebody in here to coach these guys.

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 11:24 AM
If no one picks him up he is a free agent. Should he picked up wouldn't the team only be liable for eight games at ~5m this year? A simple restructuring of a contract elsewhere would do the trick. However, the ramifications on a Dunta re-signing would be hampered in my opinion and tie us to a CB that is coming off a bad injury and an over priced CB in Hall.

According to PFT, his remaining salary for '08 is less than half a million, but the kicker is that if he gets hurt, he has $16 Million in unpaid bonus that becomes guaranteed.

LINK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/05/hall-can-be-had-cheap-on-waivers-with-some-risk/)

Mr teX
11-05-2008, 11:26 AM

If that's true we need to be on him like flies on %#^&. That would save us a draft pick for other needs (DL) & immediately upgrade us in an area of need. I'd pass on hall just b/c he's a malcontent & not that good for us willing to put up with his garbage..

Runner
11-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeh, sounds like the Schaub move........great move..........for the Falcons.
The Falcons have made some shrewd moves after being in what looked like a disastrouss situation. At 5-3 I'm starting to get jealous of their football acumen. If the improvement continues through next year, they've done very well compared to other teams in bad situations.

GP
11-05-2008, 12:06 PM

Isn't that the bear from Showtime Pizza or Pistol Pete's Pizza?

I recognize him from my soccer days as an 8-year-old , making the trip to Showtime Pizza in Lubbock after the games. Those were the days...

eriadoc
11-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I have to think that Hall is still better than the crap we're rolling out there at CB. If it's economically viable, we ought to bring him in. $16 mill. is not economically viable, IMO.

scourge
11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, Hall can't be worse than what we've got.

However, with all his speed and athleticism, he gambles way too much and is not much of a tackler a la Buchanon and Deion.

That, and he has always had attitude issues, even before Patrino.

Texecutioner
11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I think a lot of you are forgetting what a total hype machine Hall always has been. He has never been as good as they say. He is a mal content and has terrible fundamentals at CB. He has talent and speed, but he has always gotten burned regularly and his instincts are poor. If we had a really good defensive coordinator right now, I might be inclined to think about it knowing the needs we have at CB right now but we don't. And if any of you think that Hall isn't going to be wanting a lot of money, don't kid yourselves. Someone out there will over pay for him again. It amazes me the hype that some people still put in this guy. I've seen him get torched and embarrassed way to many times.

Now Huff would be a great guy to go after. It is to early for me to believe that he is the bust that others think he is. They had him playing a different safety position at first where he was successful as a run stopper but wasn't able to utilize his potential and instinctive ball hawking skills that he was known for in college. if Huff is released, GO AFTER HIM SMITH! We need help at safety and Huff could definitely help us. How much, I'm not that sure until we get a real defensive coordinator here. However, he would be better than what we have.

TexansSeminole
11-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd much rather have Huff. Hall comes with baggage.

scourge
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I think a lot of you are forgetting what a total hype machine Hall always has been. He has never been as good as they say. He is a mal content and has terrible fundamentals at CB. He has talent and speed, but he has always gotten burned regularly and his instincts are poor. If we had a really good defensive coordinator right now, I might be inclined to think about it knowing the needs we have at CB right now but we don't. And if any of you think that Hall isn't going to be wanting a lot of money, don't kid yourselves. Someone out there will over pay for him again. It amazes me the hype that some people still put in this guy. I've seen him get torched and embarrassed way to many times.

Now Huff would be a great guy to go after. It is to early for me to believe that he is the bust that others think he is. They had him playing a different safety position at first where he was successful as a run stopper but wasn't able to utilize his potential and instinctive ball hawking skills that he was known for in college. if Huff is released, GO AFTER HIM SMITH! We need help at safety and Huff could definitely help us. How much, I'm not that sure until we get a real defensive coordinator here. However, he would be better than what we have.

Heh, apparently we were on the same page at the same time. Hall gets burned because of his very risky gambles. He relies too much on his speed and leaping ability, and most often these last couple of years, his timing was bad and gave up the big play.

And I, too, feel that Huff is not a bust, at least not yet. He has great skills and from what i know, isn't a potential cancer as Hall could possibly be. In the right system, he will be a perennial Pro Bowler. Rick would be insane not to heavily persue Huff, and you can quote me on that.

Texecutioner
11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
And I, too, feel that Huff is not a bust, at least not yet. He has great skills and from what i know, isn't a potential cancer as Hall could possibly be. In the right system, he will be a perennial Pro Bowler. Rick would be insane not to heavily persue Huff, and you can quote me on that.

Totally agreed. Problem is, Smith has not shown me that he is a very aggressive GM when it comes to free agents or waivers. I'm not real confident that he'll effectively persue Huff. He sure as well will be a fool if he doesn't though knowing the help we need at safety and the potential Huff still has in my opinion. If he could work out, that would be one less draft pick that we need to worry about next season which helps out a lot with all the needs we currently still have in our secondary.

scourge
11-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Judging by what we've done since the Texans inception regarding FA's, I think the lack of aggressiveness is possibly McNair's doing.

Besides, he doesn't fit what we look for in a FA. Not old enough, and no history of wear and tear, or significant injuries.

Polo
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
However you gotta think the fact he has a tendency to be a cancer in the locker room when his teams are playing badly.

If the Texans don't start taking some knuckle heads I'll probably stop watching them as much because they will always be losers...

Errant Hothy
11-05-2008, 03:01 PM
It's offical:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3684396

Credit goes to this guy:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55527

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 03:04 PM
If the Texans don't start taking some knuckle heads I'll probably stop watching them as much because they will always be losers...

2007 Super Bowl Champions - New York Giants
2006 Super Bowl Champions - Indianapolis Colts
2005 Super Bowl Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers
2004 Super Bowl Champions - New England Patriots

Name a knuckle head on those teams.

Vinnie
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Randy Moss

Errant Hothy
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Osi likes to poop on people...does that count?

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Randy Moss

Hadn't quite made it to N.E. by 2004.

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Osi likes to poop on people...does that count?

Only if it's teammates (which may be the case, but that would take things in a different direction. Different and horrible.).

Polo
11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
2006 Super Bowl Champions - Indianapolis
2005 Super Bowl Champions - Pittsburgh Steelers--

I don't know those teams well enough, and I'm sure they had several but....

Off the top of my head:

Plaxico
Rhodes
Porter
Wilfork

That was easy...

These guys are relative lightweights when it comes to being knuckleheads but we don't have any players that even come close to some of their trangressions....

And I'm not saying that we should go out and get complete thugs, but when we release a guy for having marijuana in his car and we have never went after a player with a questionable past, something is wrong...

I applaud the Texans for their efforts, but I have yet to see a good football team without atleast a few knuckleheads...Don't know what you guys experiences have told you all, but mine have told me that some of the most talented ball players are the ones who don't have flowers and pink tulips in their past...

I just think we need a few guys that are just naturally pissy and ready to get it on at anytime...

HoustonFrog
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Kevin Faulk of the Patriots--2008-(was on the Pats at time of SB)The 31-year-old was busted with the four blunts as he was stopped by a sheriff’s deputy during a routine search as Faulk walked through an administration office at the Cajundome

James Harrison-Pitt-(was on Pitt at the time of SB)-Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison was arrested in March for allegedly hitting his 29-year-old girlfriend, Beth Tibbott, and was arraigned on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief. The charges were later dropped

I think Pitt had the pooper on their team.

More from this past year

Kenyatta Jones - New England Patriots (now with AFL's Tampa Bay Storm) (battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest after urinating on the dance floor of a nightclub)

Cedric Wilson - Pittsburgh Steelers (slapping his girlfriend)

2006 of those teams

Santonio Holmes Steelers Domestic violence and assault (Judge dismissed charges.)

Barrett Brooks Steelers Fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving at an unsafespeed and other traffic violations

Now all these are random and not exactly the years of their Super Bowls but there are always troubled players on every team. They might not have a large role at times but they are there.

It's not like you can discount the Jacoby arrest and other Texans arrests, though some seem to point to the police being idiots. My point is not all teams are perfect.

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't know those teams well enough, and I'm sure they had several but....

Off the top of my head:

Plaxico
Rhodes
Porter
Wilfork

That was easy...

These guys are relative lightweights when it comes to being knuckleheads but we don't have any players that even come close to some of their trangressions....

And I'm not saying that we should go out and get complete thugs, but when we release a guy for having marijuana in his car and we have never went after a player with a questionable past, something is wrong...

I applaud the Texans for their efforts, but I have yet to see a good football team without atleast a few knuckleheads...Don't know what you guys experiences have told you all, but mine have told me that some of the most talented ball players are the ones who don't have flowers and pink tulips in their past...

I just think we need a few guys that are just naturally pissy and ready to get it on at anytime...

And I agree so far as I do wonder if sometimes we place too high a premium on being a good guy, but anybody who's been screened out of the system as a result of that wouldn't have helped us because he was a knuckle head, but because he was a good player - the two aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes I feel like there's posters on this board saying we should sign (insert name here) because they are a knuckle head, and we need those types of guys on our team.

Polo
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
And I agree so far as I do wonder if sometimes we place too high a premium on being a good guy, but anybody who's been screened out of the system as a result of that wouldn't have helped us because he was a knuckle head, but because he was a good player - the two aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes I feel like there's posters on this board saying we should sign (insert name here) because they are a knuckle head, and we need those types of guys on our team.

No, I don't think that we should just go after idiots for the sake of it...

I just wonder how many talented players that could have helped us we've passed up because they had a somewhat checkered past...

I'd like to see us start taking risk on guys like that if it means we are more competitive...

Second Honeymoon
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
The Texans need to take a chance on this guy but I doubt they will. He doesn't pass the 'good guy' McNair test.

leebigeztx
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Gil Brandt said if a team picked him up now, the team would only have to pay 600k for the rest of the yr. The problem is if he gets hurt, his 16 m is guaranteed. He's never missed a lot of games so he's worth the risk. He's better than reeves,faggins and maybe even bennett. Huff has struggled since being in the league, but he has youth on his side. I think hall might go somewhere where he has the chance to win a ring like the patriots if I was betting.

Sal Rosenberg
11-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Huff is a solid player.I always thought that he and Aaron Ross were a great combo.I hope the Texans pick him up if released.

mussop
11-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Besides when playing for that piece of crap Patrino and Al Davis when has Hall been this "malcontent"?

dtran04
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM
According to STATS LLC, he has beaten 40 times for 552 yards with 66 thrown his way. He has given more yards than any defender and is 3rd worst in catches allowed.

Sounds like he would fit in perfect here.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Huff is awful. Can't cover anyone and can't tackle. Get over the fact that he was a Longhorn. The guy is just a bad NFL player.

Big Lou
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
It looks like the Raiders are going to cut Hall, should the Texans sign him?

In retrospect the last time we got a Oakland CB that didn't go so well.

ATXtexanfan
11-05-2008, 09:50 PM
let jerry jones have him

Silver Oak
11-05-2008, 10:04 PM

steady yourself Polo, but I agree with you.

trouble is it's a fine line to try and walk between the guys like you describe that we want, against those that ultimately just bring heartache.

TEXANRED
11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
let jerry jones have him

Sure, why not? Jerry Jones signs signs all the other guys that will help him win divisional titles and playoff appearances.

I would much rather sit back and wait and build through the draft. We are only looking at another five or six more seasons.

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Sure, why not? Jerry Jones signs signs all the other guys that will help him win divisional titles and playoff appearances.

I would much rather sit back and wait and build through the draft. We are only looking at another five or six more seasons.

Don't know if I missed on the sarcasm smiley or not... but last year was the first year Dallas has won their division since 1998 and they haven't won a playoff game since '96. Cowboys have been severely overrated over the last decade.:)

The1ApplePie
11-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Bill Bellichick
Plaxico Burress
Rodney Harrison
Santonio Holmes

ChampionTexan
11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Don't know if I'm missed on the sarcasm smiley or not... but last year was the first year Dallas has won their division since 1998 and they haven't won a playoff game since '96. Cowboys have been severely overrated over the last decade.:)

And don't forget that they're last in their division this year. Heck, we don't need Pacman, T.O. or DeAngelo Hall to do that.

TheBigpaki
11-05-2008, 11:53 PM
After giving him bunch of money the Raiders decided to cut him due to him getting his behind handed to him.

I say the Texans pick him up. Sure he is doing bad right now but it could be like Brad Lidge situation. Just needs to be with a different team to be great again.

Make the Move!!!

bah007
11-05-2008, 11:58 PM

And how is an overrated, overpaid CB gonna help us?

Lucky
11-06-2008, 12:18 AM
According to STATS LLC, he has beaten 40 times for 552 yards with 66 thrown his way. He has given more yards than any defender and is 3rd worst in catches allowed.

Sounds like he would fit in perfect here.
Clearly, Hall would take the pressure off Jacques Reeves. :whistle:

eriadoc
11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
And how is an overrated, overpaid CB gonna help us?

Well, the overpaid part I cannot defend. The overrated part, however, is relative when you consider who we have at CB.

bah007
11-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Well, the overpaid part I cannot defend. The overrated part, however, is relative when you consider who we have at CB.

I think it would be a stretch to say that Hall would even be our 2nd best CB.

At least our guys can make the tackle (usually) when they give one up. This guy....no way.

spurstexanstros
11-06-2008, 10:08 AM

2007-Plaxico Burress(on and off the field)
2006-Nick Harper(off the field)
2005-Hines Ward( just on the field)
2004-Rodney Harrison (just on the field)

HJam72
11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Doesn't everybody play like crap for the Raiders these days? Didn't Randy Moss even play kinda crappy for them? Just a thought.

Sal Rosenberg
11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Clearly, Hall would take the pressure off Jacques Reeves. :whistle:

Are the Texans really in the mix?Or is this just chatty katy stuff?

imatexan
11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
:mcnugget:2007-Plaxico Burress(on and off the field)

Huh?

MannyFresh
11-06-2008, 02:54 PM
not sure either

Mr teX
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
2007-Plaxico Burress(on and off the field)

Only 1 knuckle head on your list....Lol at hines ward being on here.

Texans_Chick
11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I believe Hall was just signed by the Redskins.

Sal Rosenberg
11-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!:mcnugget:Why do they ALWAYS get the best secondary players????

Hervoyel
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Of course he was. What possible use could we have for a decent corner who's been to the Pro Bowl a couple of times?

Truth be told though I doubt he'd have even considered a Texans offer. He's done the losing thing already.

drewmar74
11-07-2008, 02:31 PM

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

They signed him to a one year deal per Schefter. They're basically renting him.

Sal Rosenberg
11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Their defense is already pretty good.WOW!Great Lease!

HOU-TEX
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Where did it ever say that the Texans were in the mix? I suppose I missed it somewhere. All speculation maybe? :thinking:

mexican_texan
11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Where did it ever say that the Texans were in the mix? I suppose I missed it somewhere. All speculation maybe? :thinking:
It was said on PFT.com

Specnatz
11-07-2008, 03:51 PM

It was said on PFT.com

And they never make shit up just to have a story or add to the story.

Ckw
11-07-2008, 05:22 PM
It was said on PFT.com

Now it is on espn: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3688600

JWarren14
11-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Signed with the Skins.

I wouldn't have liked the pick-up. He wouldn't have been happy here and we already wasted money on Reeves why waste more?

hot pickle
11-08-2008, 12:31 PM
were do the skins find the money to sign big name guy after big named guy unreal...

ChampionTexan
11-08-2008, 01:19 PM
were do the skins find the money to sign big name guy after big named guy unreal...

He reportedly signed a pro-rated one-year deal at $1 Million. That translates to 8 games for $492,000. Not exactly a high dollar deal by NFL standards.

LINK (http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/07/hall-chose-redskins-over-steelers-patriots/)