PDA

View Full Version : 1st and 9 & 11 inches?

Hookem Horns
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
What in the world was this? How could this be a first down? Did that ref even look down?

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2825/1stdownnz9.jpg

stingray
11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I couldn't believe that call. And they are there. Bullcrap call.

imatexan
11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Terrible!

hollywood_texan
11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
What in the world was this? How could this be a first down? Did that ref even look down?

What about a challenge by Kubiak?

MissouriTexan
11-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Someone mail that to someone...get that ref investigated.

axman40
11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Someone mail that to someone...get that ref investigated.
Yes send it to the Commish's office.

OzzO
11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Personally, I think he got the first down falling forward after the legs were wrapped up, but was just a bad spot (and to challenge the call based on that spot woulda been nice) but contiinue the fire and pictchfork brigade.

Oh, and close the blinds - I can't see the TV.
:cool:

Leahmic223
11-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Eh oh well. I think we got them to punt anyways to get into the redzone just to turn the ball over.

Ryan
11-02-2008, 05:36 PM
In the words of Charles Barkley, "Tuuuurible, just tuuuuurible"

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 05:40 PM

He wasn't looking at the marker.....he was looking at #35 and automatically signaled for the first down......hell when you've been doing it all day I guess it becomes second nature.

texanhead08
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Just like the 4th down play in the Pittsburgh game these morons don't know how to spot or measure when there is a first down. The league wonders why this crap happens every year and the fans are screaming at the refs.

Corrosion
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
That bad call / spot isnt why the Texans lost todays game ..... They got outplayed period.

Texan JBZ
11-03-2008, 12:45 AM
That bad call / spot isnt why the Texans lost todays game ..... They got outplayed period.

I have to disagree with you Corrosion (what else is new, right?). I don't think the Texans got outplayed. The offense moved the ball on them relatively easy. Just made too many mistakes. Reeves is a joke and a liability, but the defense as a whole held AP in check for 3 1/4 of the game. They just tired down from being on the field too much.

Carr Bombed
11-03-2008, 01:06 AM
I have to disagree with you Corrosion (what else is new, right?). I don't think the Texans got outplayed. The offense moved the ball on them relatively easy. Just made too many mistakes. Reeves is a joke and a liability, but the defense as a whole held AP in check for 3 1/4 of the game. They just tired down from being on the field too much.

T.O.P. was in Houston's favor.......when your defense is giving up points in a hurry they aren't on the field that much.

BattleRedToro
11-03-2008, 07:44 AM

I disagree with both of you. They lost because they turned the ball over too many times, especially whenever the Texans were so close to scoring.

Tedc
11-03-2008, 07:48 AM

I am convinced that Kubiak has started a collection of red flags at his house. Maybe wallpapering his house??

BattleRedToro
11-03-2008, 08:06 AM

When you have to challenge the measurement of the chains, then the officiating has gotten out of hand.

When a man standing on the field can't see that there is a gap between the ball and the first down marker, then its time for him to stop being an official.

That was inexcusable.

I don't blame Kubiak, either. At that point I would just throw up my hands in disgust, too.

But there is no excuse for not contacting the league office. That should definitely be happening

HJam72
11-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Home field advantage. IIRC, we got a few funny spots and calls like that the last few weeks too. I don't know why people have to be so incompetent, especially with TV cameras all over them, but it usually evens out.

Specnatz
11-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Are you telling me he is going to challenge a call that a ref made who supposedly just looked at the sticks that just measured for a down? How is he going to know the ref is blind?

Sometimes I think some of you just say things without actually thinking.

GP
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I am convinced that Kubiak has started a collection of red flags at his house. Maybe wallpapering his house??

Dude. He's lost so many challenges that should have been overturned...you could see the anguish on his face. It was like he was thinking about it, and then he figured he knew they'd uphold the ruling no matter what.

I still think the Ref Association is not doing a proper job. Even challenges that are blatantly obvious are not getting overturned properly. They're just a mafia with a whistle and tight pants.

disaacks3
11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Personally, I think he got the first down falling forward after the legs were wrapped up, but was just a bad spot (and to challenge the call based on that spot woulda been nice) but contiinue the fire and pictchfork brigade.

Oh, and close the blinds - I can't see the TV.
:cool: If he got a "bad spot", that's the Vikes' challenge, not ours. We get shafted on a call that EVERYONE at home can see, but the official actually THERE can't? WTF?

Was it a game-changing call? Who knows, it certainly didn't help any.

Awful suspicious though...The Vikes had a FAR worse penalty record for the season coming in and suddenly "cleaned up" their act for the Texans? Not likely.

Mailman
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM

Probably because they don't measure from the sticks but from the ends of the chain. The ball is beyond that white marker on the last link in the chain, which is what the official is looking at.

Dread-Head
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
THANKYOU! I was thinking the exact SAME thing! Also did the Refs call Pass Interference AT ALL during that damned game? The play before that last sack saw Sage getting HORSECOLLARED...but there was no call. The play PRIOR to that A DB TACKLED a Texans' receiver before the ball EVER got there! This had to be some of the WORST OFFICIATING I've EVER had the misfortune to see. The NFL needs to clean house on some officials. The calls in that game were BULL $h:t!

disaacks3
11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Probably because they don't measure from the sticks but from the ends of the chain. The ball is beyond that white marker on the last link in the chain, which is what the official is looking at. Do you have a source for that info?

Not questioning your veracity, but I'd like to read what the "real" rule book says regarding it. (not the watered-down fan version on NFL.com)

I'm skeptical because I've NEVER seen a 1st down called when no part of the ball is even "touching" the sticks.

ObsiWan
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that Kubiak couldn't challenge the call. I know the coach can always challenge the spot, but not the measurement call.

Its a judgement call, like pass interference or holding. Those cannot be challenged.

This explains why they missed it....
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tm/2008/tm081103.gif (http://www.mycomicspage.com/tankmcnamara/)

Texans_Chick
11-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I think that picture illustrates the Texans' entire season. If something weird and wrong is going to happen, it will happen against the Texans.*

*With the exception of that bizarre Andre Johnson catch against the Dolphins which was strange.

BigBull17
11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Itis measured by the stick,not the chain.

OzzO
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
If he got a "bad spot", that's the Vikes' challenge, not ours. We get shafted on a call that EVERYONE at home can see, but the official actually THERE can't? WTF?....

It's a bad spot in the general sense. I think the Vikes got further than their spotted ball (need to see a doctor about that) ended up. He was tackled by the legs and fell forward past the 1st down marker, from what it seemed to me.

The Vikes got a first down regardless, but I think they woulda challenged if not spotted as a first down.

I tried finding the rule on what they measure by - chain or stick and couldn't find it. I'm thinking stick.

Double Barrel
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Itis measured by the stick,not the chain.

yep.

How long is one chain length on the first down chains? --Mick, Denver

The first down chains are made up of one and 7/16th inch links. I called the company that manufactures and supplies field equipment to both the NFL and NCAA. If you mean how long the actual chain is, 10 yards from the outside edge of one pole to the other when stretched for a measurement is the answer.

Source (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-071031askjerrymarkbreit,0,7695622.story)