PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak needs to go!

Ryan
11-02-2008, 01:07 PM
There is no excuse for putting out such a crap team every game on the road. He needs to get his ass in gear and get the team ready each and every Sunday. Does he even know that he's not at Reliant?

Ckw
11-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't think you can pin the offense having to play in a loud domed stadium on Kubiak. Some of you guys really need to take Football 101.

stingray
11-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Here We Go. Classic Knee jerk reaction thread. Richard Smith Needs to go but not Gary.

powerfuldragon
Here We Go. Classic Knee jerk reaction thread. Richard Smith Needs to go but not Gary.

i'll go with that

gtexan02
This is Houston. If we're winning, we call for extensions. When we lose, we're ready to send him packing. Sometimmes our opinions change on plays, scores, games, seasons, etc

AnthonyE
11-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Seconded!

Sorry Ryan, I third this.

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Sounds good to me, the offense isn't the problem.....our defense just sucks.

Infact I would've already fired Richard Smith so we can be ahead of the pack when looking for a Dcoordinator next season.

Ryan
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
There has got to be a flaw in the way this team prepares for road games, and until I see otherwise, the blame goes on Kubiak. If you're able to win at home like they usually do, then they should be able to pull some out on the road. No excuses.

TexanSam
11-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't agree about the title of the thread, but I do put the blame on Kubiak as to why we always come out flat on the road. We haven't been a good road team since we came into the league, and Kubiak has done absolutely nothing to change that.

gwallaia
11-02-2008, 01:31 PM
We should fire everyone and only keep the perfect ones and from this point onward, only hire perfect players and coaches.

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
A flaw? Are kidding me? The flaw is the MIN D beating the living crap out of our offense. That plus your ridiculous posts really don't help anyone.

You know, I remember when Kubiak first came here and Denver fans came over to tell us what kind of system we were installing......and what the strengths and weakness are.

I strictly remember all of them saying, the biggest weakness are when you got behind early and are forced to pass the ball. They said the zone line is so light it gets exposed and pushed around in pass protection so things can go downhill fast if a team can take you out of the run game early.......especially against a very large Dline. Our line can't block Minny's fat boys up front....they don't have the sand in their pants.

If Kubiak wants to have any chance he needs to bring Sage out to start the second half.......nothing against Schaub, but Sage is a little more mobile and Schaub is clearly hurt right now. His passes are floating and he can't step into his throws, it's completely useless to bring him back out right now.

Texecutioner
11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't agree about the title of the thread, but I do put the blame on Kubiak as to why we always come out flat on the road. We haven't been a good road team since we came into the league, and Kubiak has done absolutely nothing to change that.

So do I Sam. Kubiak wouldn't even throw the ball on 3rd and 12 when we've had one of the best passing offenses in the last few weeks. Why does he come out on the road playing not to lose? We need to get Daniels more involved if Johnson will be getting doubled.

New_Texans
11-02-2008, 01:39 PM
lol and here...we...go with FIRE (enter name) threads.

Lucky
11-02-2008, 01:40 PM
If you think it's okay to tell another poster to shut up, you're wrong. I'm not sending out a dozen PMs to explain why a post was deleted. You know why.

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 01:47 PM
lol and here...we...go with FIRE (enter name) threads.

My (enter name) has been the same all season............Richard Smith.

I actually like Kubiak, does he need to grow as a coach.....hell yes, but I like the foundation that he has set on his side of the ball.

However if he doesn't get the other side of the ball to start picking up their play by next season (I'll give him one more Dcoordinator) his seat is going to start getting hot.

imatexan
11-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Just wait until the game is over..

RED_ROOSTER
11-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Aint nuthin wrong with Kubiak. The team needs time to mold, and get it crankin, you just need to take a chill.

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Aint nuthin wrong with Kubiak. The team needs time to mold, and get it crankin, you just need to take a chill.

That happens when you've spent your entire "Houston Texan" fandom waiting for the "team to mold".

I have no problem with people starting threads like these, even if I may or may not agree with them. People are tired of losing.

imatexan
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
This game is on Kubiak more than anyone.

TEXANRED
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Just wait until the game is over..

How about now?

New_Texans
11-02-2008, 02:58 PM
My (enter name) has been the same all season............Richard Smith.

I actually like Kubiak, does he need to grow as a coach.....hell yes, but I like the foundation that he has set on his side of the ball.

However if he doesn't get the other side of the ball to start picking up their play by next season (I'll give him one more Dcoordinator) his seat is going to start getting hot.

Smith has been a shoe in, its the other names that are knee jerk.

TexansFight
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
There is no excuse for putting out such a crap team every game on the road. He needs to get his ass in gear and get the team ready each and every Sunday. Does he even know that he's not at Reliant?

Sign me up and get me a pink soap avatar. This guy's game awareness and clock management skills are atrocious and I believe it is because he is not too bright. You either have it or you don't. That we look like **** on the road and that we have NO ****ING ACCOUNTABILITY for TOs by our QBs and poor play by our defensive players means that this joker needs to go. We get Marty in here next year and we win 11 games.

AustinTexansFan
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes!:foottap:

Htownsportsfan
11-02-2008, 03:06 PM

I am not sure I understand the meaning of this quote!

Lucky
11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
We get Marty in here next year and we win 11 games.
I'd prefer Cowher, but I'll settle for Marty.

rollinstone18
11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Piss poor blocking from Duane Brown. Petey Reeves gives up way too many big plays. Turnovers from bad QB play.

I don't know why you blame Kubiak or Richard Smith for this loss. This is on the players, not the gameplan.

TEXANRED
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Nothing about this game was Kubiak's fualt. We can't give up 3 T.O.'s and expect to win on the road.

Schaub is not the answer and neither is Sage.

ATXtexanfan
11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Nothing about this game was Kubiak's fualt. We can't give up 3 T.O.'s and expect to win on the road.

agree, schaub still sucks

TEXANRED
11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Piss poor blocking from Duane Brown. Petey Reeves gives up way too many big plays. Turnovers from bad QB play.

I don't know why you blame Kubiak or Richard Smith for this loss. This is on the players, not the gameplan.

Reeves getting beat is Smith's fault. Why you wouldn't give Reeves some help is beyond me.

And that first long play both Reeves and Wilson wiffed on the ball.

mussop
11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
This gets my most ignorant thread of the day vote!

ATXtexanfan
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Reeves getting beat is Smith's fault. Why you wouldn't give Reeves some help is beyond me.

And that first long play both Reeves and Wilson wiffed on the ball.

i dont know how that ball was completed

brakos82
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Except for not challenging that "first down", I didn't see anything today that hints at a need of scenery at HC.

Hardcore Texan
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM

I diisagree. He should have challenged the first down. He should have pulled Schaub right away after the injury and the floater to Leach never happens. Should have ran it on 3rd and 1 in the redzone, twice if need be or take the 3 freaking points. All bad decisions. I am not calling for his head though or Matt's.

Hardcore Texan
11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Exactly right.

Norg
11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Richard is going before Kubes / thread

spurstexanstros
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
How about now?

no freaking way is this thread serious? lets go over the history of the boards:
The coach was the problem, we got rid of him.
the GM was the problem, we got rid of him
the quaterback was supposed to be the problem we got rid of him.
The new starter was the problem and when the back up got his chance he screwed up royally.

Now you want to yet again fire the QB GM and Coach.

Who has the signature that says "stupid is repeating the same thing over and over" or something like that. Well I think the fans are falling into the stupid category if they havent already. The Texans will not make progress if they have to start over every 4 years. This isnt the olympics. It was a good game and players made mistakes. They played hard and lost... give the bloodshed a rest.

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I diisagree. He should have challenged the first down. He should have pulled Schaub right away after the injury and the floater to Leach never happens. Should have ran it on 3rd and 1 in the redzone, twice if need be or take the 3 freaking points. All bad decisions. I am not calling for his head though or Matt's.

Agree with everything except "challenging that first down"......if we can't get a obvious QB sneak that was probably good by a full yard overturned earlier in the year, we're not getting that overturned.

But yeah, I wanted Matt pulled as soon as he got hurt, and can't believe he didn't run for the 1st down on that 3rd and short.

imatexan
11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
The new starter was the problem and when the back up got his chance he screwed up royally.

Who has the signature that says "stupid is repeating the same thing over and over" or something like that. Well I think the fans are falling into the stupid category if they havent already. The Texans will not make progress if they have to start over every 4 years. This isnt the olympics. It was a good game and players made mistakes. They played hard and lost... give the bloodshed a rest.

Agreed. Fantastic post.

Texans_Chick
11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
The reason why it is difficult for the Texans to win on the road is the following:

1. It is difficult for any offense to perform on the road. Communication on the line is particularly difficult, made worse facing good defenses.

2. Good road teams have great defenses. The defense keeps the game close and gives the offense time to get their stuff together. It also keeps the offense from having to play from behind.

3. The Texans have a feast and famine defense.

4. (It would have been nice for the Texans to run the ball more. If you get into a throw first game against a team that is a good pass rushing team, you will get your starting quarterback hit sideways in the knee because the other team pins their ears back and stops respecting the run at all).

sigh

HoustonFrog
11-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm not advocating the firing but the SAME lapses in judgement in challenges, preparation...the 3rd and 1..and time management happens over and over.

Norg
11-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok pink soap brigade plzz lets make intelligent theads u going to get the hole board in trouble yes the sky is blue u dont have to tell us this we already know

Specnatz
11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
The GM is not the issue Kubiak is not the issue. He did not throw into double coverage both QBs did.

Wolfiegrrl
11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Honestly folks, let's take a realistic look at things. Ultimately, you can place the blame on the coach, he's the one responsible for hiring all the other coaches and making up the details of the team's personality. I'm a manager and I get what Kubiak has to do. Not only do you have to get all your coaches believing in your system, you have to get your players believing in your system. Right now, I see guys who have lost the fire to play for the DC here.

Do I think there are changes that need to be made this off-season? Oh yes. Kubiak needs to sit down and find a defensive coordinator that can put the fire in the hearts of the defensive players. I don't think Richard Smith is it. I remember when Kubiak first hired him, Smith would be out running laps with Kubes to stay in shape. Now, he's getting fat and lazy. His players see this and I think it effects how they play for him. What coach is getting most of the compliments from the players right now? I believe it's Frank Bush. Let's move him over.

TEXANRED
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM

I wasn't saying to fire the coach. I was responding to the poster who said to wait till the end of the game which was also when the Vikes went up 28-14.

You had to of been there.

The1ApplePie
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Time for Kubes to go. Three years and still no playoffs. Not even dream chance of playoffs. The man still thinks this is the NFL circa 1998 and his offensive game plan follows that.

Norg
11-02-2008, 03:59 PM

But hey after all these firings we did WIN more games U cant deny that

Runner
11-02-2008, 04:01 PM
The GM is not the issue Kubiak is not the issue. He did not throw into double coverage both QBs did.

Are these the hand-picked, the job is yours, no competition required QBs of the Texans?

I think the coach and GM have some responsibility for the personnel on the field who are playing with such incompetence.

Should they be fired? I don't know. Not right now anyway. Should they be held blameless for the the performance of the players they selected, trained, and choose to keep? Absolutley not.

J-Russ
11-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Yep. His team was in position to score and tie the game twice.... his QB blew it. You could probably make the argument that Kubiak blew it when trading for Schaub though. Sure would've love to see how the #1 rated prospect in the 2007 draft, Brady Quinn, would have done for our team.

Runner
11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Yep. His team was in position to score and tie the game twice.... his QB blew it. You could probably make the argument that Kubiak blew it when trading for Schaub though. Sure would've love to see how the #1 rated prospect in the 2007 draft, Brady Quinn, would have done for our team.

It would also be interesting to see how the Falcons are doing after the Texans "stole" Schaub from them leaving them with no viable QB.

OzzO
11-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Cool, how would you have improved it? How much crap would you have put out there? How would a coach's ass in gear be of any benfit to the team, much less how does one put an ass in gear? I think from the covered dome and purple wearing fans in the stadium, he probably knew he wasn't in Reliant.

Awesome post. So instead of bringing the problems, why not bring a solution?

Personally, I think they held their own till the 4th. Matt shoulda come out if he's hurt and two turnovers in the red zone does not benefit. Also, to have the worst defense in the redzone this year, does not do Kubiak any favors. But yet, you want to drop Kubiak. Cool.... let's bring Capers back for ya then.

CT CSTM
11-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Why weren't more of you guys at the game today???

spurstexanstros
11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I wasn't saying to fire the coach. I was responding to the poster who said to wait till the end of the game which was also when the Vikes went up 28-14.

You had to of been there.

I wasnt referring to you the thread I should have clarified

spurstexanstros
11-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I am curious what was our record this time last year? 3-5 I think considering the schedule start and Ike I think this team is better than last year

Lucky
11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Who's coaching these turnover prone QBs?

I am curious what was our record this time last year? 3-5 I think considering the schedule start and Ike I think this team is better than last year
AJ was out for 6 of those games, with the Texans going 1-5. What's the excuse going to be for a 3-5 start next season?

Carr Bombed
11-02-2008, 04:31 PM
What's the excuse going to be for a 3-5 start next season?

Don't we play the NFC West next year? If Kubiak doesn't get us onto a serious playoff run, fire everybody.

spurstexanstros
11-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Who's coaching these turnover prone QBs?

AJ was out for 6 of those games, with the Texans going 1-5. What's the excuse going to be for a 3-5 start next season?

so we are better than last year this time and some of you guys want to fire Kubiak even with the Texans facing more adversity than last year at this time.

thank God that logic doesnt extend to my Spurs...fire Pop Spurs are 0-2. sheesh. ( I am not saying you just saying thptt to the nay sayers):texflag:

Go Texans

Hardcore Texan
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Time for Kubes to go. Three years and still no playoffs. Not even dream chance of playoffs. The man still thinks this is the NFL circa 1998 and his offensive game plan follows that.

Wow...just wow, please tell me you forgot the sarcasm smilie. Have you checked out how potent our offense has been this season? So we should just scrap it all? I can't believe some of the posts sometimes. When we win, everyone is perfect, when we lose it's fire 'em all...LOL.

Norg
11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow...just wow, please tell me you forgot the sarcasm smilie. Have you checked out how potent our offense has been this season? So we should just scrap it all? I can't believe some of the posts sometimes. When we win, everyone is perfect, when we lose it's fire 'em all...LOL.

the only winz we got this season is aganist bad teams yes even the Fins included

when we go agansit ELite teams we get Spanked and dont even have to list them just off the top of your mind all the elite teams in the NFL thats who we lose to

and to make matters worst we get beat in our own divison has well

i guess iam just mad I want the texans to be a ELite team has well but i can say with a straight face we are not

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 06:06 PM

finally... some common sense.
rep your way

Face it. We've improved but talent wise, for the most part, we're still in mediocre-ville.
Yeah, we have a couple of studs, but there are lots of spots -mostly on defense- that need upgrading. And that takes time.

Silver Oak
11-02-2008, 06:12 PM
could be worse...we could be Cowboy fans and be hating things even more.

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 06:13 PM

The Cowboys have way more "studs" than we do - especially on defense - they should be upset.

beerlover
11-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Good move by Kubiak to put Sage in there with Matt both ineffective & gimpy. I wonder about his loyalty to "his guys" but that represented choosing a better option under the circumstances. our OL still needs upgrading both in pass protection & the running game while the running game needs a bruiser.

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 06:19 PM

LOL! Rated #1 by who? Mel Hairgel?
Please.
Quinn couldn't even unseat Derek Alexander.

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Good move by Kubiak to put Sage in there with Matt both ineffective & gimpy. I wonder about his loyalty to "his guys" but that represented choosing a better option under the circumstances. our OL still needs upgrading both in pass protection & the running game while the running game needs a bruiser.

True statements. Their D-line beat up our O-line pure & simple. We have Slaton. They have Peterson, Chester Taylor, and a pretty good O-line.

We're still building.

Ryan
11-02-2008, 06:25 PM
We're still building.

I hate this phrase with a passion. I think we've been a team too long now to use this excuse.

TEXANRED
11-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I hate this phrase with a passion. I think we've been a team too long now to use this excuse.

I think this is an accurate statement.

We still need a Center, a RG, a full time RB, a QB, OLB, DE, both DT's, and Safeties.

There are only so many rounds in the draft and we have been in cap hell the past three years so we have been unable to plug holes because of it.

This team is one good off season away from being a real good football team.

Sal Rosenberg
11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
We need someone to light a fire under the Texans .I just do not know who it should be with our group of choir boys.

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 06:37 PM

its not an "excuse".

it is reality.

Take a hard look at our roster... especially our O-line or our defense.
Who on our roster would make a playoff quality team besides Mario and Andre?? Maybe a healthy Dunta or DeMeco. Possibly O.D. That's it.
How many guys that we've had to keep could make the Titans or the Giants or the Redskins or the Steelers or even the hated Cowboys??
Who else would Jacque Reeves or Petey Faggins be starting for? Did we not pick up Eugene Wilson off the street?
Who else would be starting Morlon Greenwood or Anthony Weaver or Travis Johnson??
Kevin Walter might be a 3rd WR on those teams but not a #2.
Would Myers be a starting center on any of those teams? Would Brisiel start?

We're getting better. And that's probably what's so frustrating. We're almost there. But the plain fact is, we've still got improve our defense and O-line more before our team reaches playoff quality.

HoustonFrog
11-02-2008, 06:53 PM

Not really. I'm feeling much better about being their fan.

Norg
11-02-2008, 06:57 PM
We did it the reset Button in 2006 so that could be another reason has well

if it keeps going like this we might have to hit that reset button again Early :texflag:

Runner
11-02-2008, 07:01 PM
There are only so many rounds in the draft and we have been in cap hell the past three years so we have been unable to plug holes because of it.

If I'm not mistaken, the Titans were in worse cap hell just as recently.

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM

I thought they were better off than us. I seem to recall the talking heads giving them grief because they wouldn't go out and sign a big name WR since they had the cash....

Runner
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I thought they were better off than us. I seem to recall the talking heads giving them grief because they wouldn't go out and sign a big name WR since they had the cash....

All that cash freed up when their cap problems were resolved. They've really turned it around.

Blake
11-02-2008, 07:14 PM

That is a great point. It just shows that they know how to rebuild better than we know how to build period.

They drafted both Dline and Oline players early and often and just recently signed their bookend tackles to longterm deals.

We did good these past 3 years taking Mario, Okoye and Duane early, but we need to get away from trading or using our 2nd and 3rd round picks for offensive skill players until we can solidify our offensive line and entire defense.

Once you have a good defense and a solid offensive line, the skill players will show up.

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
That is a great point. It just shows that they know how to rebuild better than we know how to build period.

They drafted both Dline and Oline players early and often and just recently signed their bookend tackles to longterm deals.

We did good these past 3 years taking Mario, Okoye and Duane early, but we need to get away from trading or using our 2nd and 3rd round picks for offensive skill players until we can solidify our offensive line and entire defense.

Once you have a good defense and a solid offensive line, the skill players will show up.

Yep.
Time to upgrade those areas.

J-Russ
11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
LOL! Rated #1 by who? Mel Hairgel?
Please.
Quinn couldn't even unseat Derek Alexander.

By Scott Wright. Who else? I don't read any other draft gurus.

oh and the who the hell is Derek Alexander? You mean Derek Anderson?

Htownsportsfan
11-02-2008, 07:44 PM

The only unbeaten team in the NFL thinks your wrong and his game plan is pretty damn good since they have run the ball down everyones damn throat and played mistake free football. The difference is they have the talent to run the scheme and we still lack the skill up front and on defense.

Htownsportsfan
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I think this is an accurate statement.

We still need a Center, a RG, a full time RB, a QB, OLB, DE, both DT's, and Safeties.

This team is one good off season away from being a real good football team.

It hurts even more when I read the laundry list of needs in print! Its hard to fix a team that made so many personel mistakes in the past!

HJam72
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
The only thing this team is really lacking, not for a SB but to be a serious contender, is to load up on DBs. Every draft, I am screeming for a true FS and/or CB in the first round and it never happens. Keep spending all those high picks on DTs and this will continue forever. DRob will not always be here and/or healthy. It's a shame, whatever is keeping Bennett from reaching his full potential, but that's what we get for relying on only those 2....and a bunch of hapless squat. Wilson's OK too, but this team does not put the effort it should into having a secondary that can be trusted.

Runner
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
It hurts even more when I read the laundry list of needs in print! Its hard to fix a team that made so many personel mistakes in the past!

There are few players from the previous regime left on the team. The current staff has its fingerprints all over the roster as constituted. Continuing to pass the blame back due to cap issues may help the fans feel better about the current staff, but may be glossing over more current issues.

Htownsportsfan
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
There are few players from the previous regime left on the team. The current staff has its fingerprints all over the roster as constituted. Continuing to pass the blame back due to cap issues may help the fans feel better about the current staff, but may be glossing over more current issues.

True but the fasct we need players at so many positions is a reflection of past mistakes. Weaver at end hurts the pass rush, Greenwood lacks the speed we need outside. The mistakes we made in the secondary with PBuc etc are just some examples. We need to make some good free agent pick ups but just spending big for the highest priced FA does not always work. Look at SF they spent all that money in their secondary and their defense got worse. I would like to get a FA safty and LB and get the pass rusher in the mid rounds of the draft who does nothing but rush the passer.

Wolf
11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/horonto/not_this_stuff_again.jpg

hradhak
11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
It seems to me like the Texans have a lot of things to fix. I think we were all excited about the way the team was playing and our first 3 in a row. But I think we need to face facts that in games where we are evenly matched (we were at least by record coming in) we lose because we make stupid mistakes. I can't blame that on the coaching staff.

I agree that our D coaching has been awful this season. It seems like it's getting better, but our D is still nothing to write home about. Our O line was unprepared for this game though. We didn't really make adjustments to help protect the passer. I think the offense will be fine from a coaching standpoint, but our D coord needs to get run out of town.

beerlover
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Kubiaks speciality is the passing game, reason why he sought Gibbs out this off-season to work with the OL & improve the running game. so far so good but its still a work in progress. we need to invest picks early @ Rb too. just look @ the only unbeaten - Tennessee, they used #2 on LenDale White (06) Chris Henry (07) & #1 Chris Johnson (08). looks pretty good so far, something for the Texans to follow since you know they would like to really improve the running game & cut down on their turnovers :cool:

Runner
11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
True but the fasct we need players at so many positions is a reflection of past mistakes. Weaver at end hurts the pass rush, Greenwood lacks the speed we need outside. The mistakes we made in the secondary with PBuc etc are just some examples. We need to make some good free agent pick ups but just spending big for the highest priced FA does not always work. Look at SF they spent all that money in their secondary and their defense got worse. I would like to get a FA safty and LB and get the pass rusher in the mid rounds of the draft who does nothing but rush the passer.

There have been teams that have faced similar issues and turned their fortunes around relatively quickly. Of course, there have been other teams that face the same issues and take a long time to rise above the occasional mediocre season.

Right now the Texans are in the latter group. Optimistic projections based on style points in a 3-5 season do not change that fact. The Texans have to get over the hump in reality before they become a legitimate contender.

The Smith/Kubiak regime bears a lot of responsibilty for that. Look at the Falcons - they are 5-3 after being horrendous last year. The year before most Texans fans were congratulating themselves for getting Schaub for a two second rounders. Schaub has been a marginal starting QB (when he is actually able to be on the field) and he has been expensive against the cap and in terms of draft picks given up. I'm not sure the Schaub trade was any better than the P-Buc trade, and Kubiak was the one that pulled that one off.

Kaiser Toro
11-02-2008, 08:37 PM
My issues with Kubiak in this game are specifically allowing Schaub to play Superman, when we know that a hobbled Schaub is a turnover waiting to happen, and going with an onside kick. For a guy that has been around the game as much as him I am amazed at this lack of feel for time, score and situation.

Get rid of Hoke, get rid of Smith and get us a friggin Safety that can play outfield. The offense is fine except at Center and a fragile Schaub.

What a heartbreaking weekend of football.

Honoring Earl 34
11-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Kubiaks speciality is the passing game, reason why he sought Gibbs out this off-season to work with the OL & improve the running game. so far so good but its still a work in progress. we need to invest picks early @ Rb too. just look @ the only unbeaten - Tennessee, they used #2 on LenDale White (06) Chris Henry (07) & #1 Chris Johnson (08). looks pretty good so far, something for the Texans to follow since you know they would like to really improve the running game & cut down on their turnovers :cool:

I'd think about hiring their OL coach as my next head coach if I were to get rid of Kubiak .

Honoring Earl 34
11-02-2008, 09:11 PM
My issues with Kubiak in this game are specifically allowing Schaub to play Superman, when we know that a hobbled Schaub is a turnover waiting to happen, and going with an onside kick. For a guy that has been around the game as much as him I am amazed at this lack of feel for time, score and situation.

Get rid of Hoke, get rid of Smith and get us a friggin Safety that can play outfield. The offense is fine except at Center and a fragile Schaub.

I think in hindsight that I'd never hire a coach that plays odd ball schemes ( I'm talking about undersized OL and the sort ) . The next guy will either run that scheme or start over .

Marcus
11-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Please . . .

Second Honeymoon
11-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Kubiak's stellar road record continues. Kubiak's stellar record against teams that don't suck continues. Kubiak's inability to manage the clock continues. Kubiak's inability to get a team fired up and ready to play at the game's opening whistle continue. Kubiak's inability to find a decent defensive coordinator continues.

Kubiak already bought himself another year with the 3 game win streak (courtesy of the worst teams in the NFL) but at some point we need to kick this loser to the curb. He isn't EVER going to lead us to a championship, so why keep the guy around. The longer we stick with the guy and his 'scheme', the more our personnel will only be suited to gimmick offenses/schemes and make our growing process under another regime that much longer.

It's not Kubiak's fault we lost the game Sunday, but he isn't the solution in Houston. It's pretty obvious. If your not the solution, your part of the problem.

If he doesn't fire that little p***y Richard Smith this week, the guy can go jump in a lake for all I care. At some point you have to make your team accountable and that includes the coaching staff. When your the least blitzing team in the league and you don't get pressure on the QB, you have to blitz. It would be nice if we could get pressure on the QB from our front four like the Vikings can....but its obvious we arent the Vikings. If something isn't working, change what the hell you are doing. Richard Smith sucks the big one and he needs to grow a freaking pair.

Oh and for all the 'Mario is GOD' people out there. Bryant Mckennie made Mario his prison girlfriend Sunday all day long. Mario was invisible just like the rest of the defensive line other than Bulman and Cochran. It looks like they are finally coming to grips that Weaver sucks balls, which is about 2 seasons too late but oh well.

HJam72
11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Kubiak's stellar road record continues. Kubiak's stellar record against teams that don't suck continues. Kubiak's inability to manage the clock continues. Kubiak's inability to get a team fired up and ready to play at the game's opening whistle continue. Kubiak's inability to find a decent defensive coordinator continues.

Kubiak already bought himself another year with the 3 game win streak (courtesy of the worst teams in the NFL) but at some point we need to kick this loser to the curb. He isn't EVER going to lead us to a championship, so why keep the guy around. The longer we stick with the guy and his 'scheme', the more our personnel will only be suited to gimmick offenses/schemes and make our growing process under another regime that much longer.

It's not Kubiak's fault we lost the game Sunday, but he isn't the solution in Houston. It's pretty obvious. If your not the solution, your part of the problem.

If he doesn't fire that little p***y Richard Smith this week, the guy can go jump in a lake for all I care. At some point you have to make your team accountable and that includes the coaching staff. When your the least blitzing team in the league and you don't get pressure on the QB, you have to blitz. It would be nice if we could get pressure on the QB from our front four like the Vikings can....but its obvious we arent the Vikings. If something isn't working, change what the hell you are doing. Richard Smith sucks the big one and he needs to grow a freaking pair.

Oh and for all the 'Mario is GOD' people out there. Bryant Mckennie made Mario his prison girlfriend Sunday all day long. Mario was invisible just like the rest of the defensive line other than Bulman and Cochran. It looks like they are finally coming to grips that Weaver sucks balls, which is about 2 seasons too late but oh well.

Let's just hope these guys actually get more playing time, because I worry about this team not putting its best players on the field even after they've proven it. I've known for a long time that Cochran deserved to be out there more.

Second Honeymoon
11-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Let's just hope these guys actually get more playing time, because I worry about this team not putting its best players on the field even after they've proven it. I've known for a long time that Cochran deserved to be out there more.

agreed. tj and weaver need to ride pine the rest of the year and deserved to ride the pine last year. the fact that weaver continues to get paid is a complete travesty.

GP
11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Not for me.

GUNS UP!

LOL. When Crabtree made the catch and TD, I looked at my wife and said "There's not enough jail cells in Lubbock to hold all the drunk and disorderly Raiders fans tonight..."

Oh, boy. I think the days of UT fans/players/coaches saying "Tech has a rivalry with us, but we don't have one with them..." are over. That pretty little No. 1 team just got bumped, and got bumped by Tech nonetheless.

Sorry, Kaiser. Just had to throw a little dig in there!

HoustonFrog
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Here is what worries me...isn't this the exact same conversation they had about the fake punt and the challenges wasted or not used

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6091299.html

On a third-and-inches from the Vikings’ 18-yard-line, Rosenfels threw a pass to Kevin Walter, but it landed in the hands of Madieu Williams. The Texans were trailing by only a touchdown at the time.

No communication
“Nothing was called,” Rosenfels said after the game. “I couldn’t hear (Gary) Kubiak in the headset in my ear. And so I called the play. In hindsight, I probably should have just called a timeout. But I thought we might have something. I thought we’d get man-to-man coverage and have a couple of crossing routes. And I had Kevin Walter on that play, and I just under threw him.”

Kubiak believed the Texans had originally made the first down on the previous play. By the time the Texans heard the official say it was third-and-short, the play clock was under 15 seconds and there was no time to call a play into Rosenfels. The communication between the coaches and quarterback get turned off with 15 seconds left.

“Sage made a call, which we instruct him to do,” Kubiak said. “We give him things to go to. Hindsight is 20-20. I wish I had burnt a timeout.”

eriadoc
11-03-2008, 10:13 AM

+1.

utahmark
11-03-2008, 10:28 AM

going for the onside kick was the only option. the time it would of took for a kickoff return would of changed the whole complexion of the game. they would of been able to run the playclock down to the 2 min warning before 3rd down. allowing them to run the clock to around 1 min before we got the ball back. going for the onside gave us 2 chances, the kick itself pluse around 2 min instead of 1 min left in the game when we got the ball back. add to that the fact that k.brown seems to be very good at kicking the onside kick and its really a no brainer.(for a guy who's been around the game as long as him, anyway.)

UK_Texan
11-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Kubiak is slowly heading in the right direction IMO.

But good lord where was our secondary did they even travel to Minnesota? Just seen the limited highlights on game centre, and now understand where most of you guys were in a rant. Well done ill join the bandwagon now

Norg
11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Hmmm i didnt watch the game over again yet but iam pretty sure the didnt man handle Mario usually no one man handles mario one on one

He usually can push the OE back and get with in at least finger tips of the QB getting some hands in the QB face

and times is just secs away from killing a QB IMO

and if hes double he always opens holes for other guyz but they usaully dont do nothing with it other then DIles and Bulman

GP
11-03-2008, 11:09 AM
going for the onside kick was the only option. the time it would of took for a kickoff return would of changed the whole complexion of the game. they would of been able to run the playclock down to the 2 min warning before 3rd down. allowing them to run the clock to around 1 min before we got the ball back. going for the onside gave us 2 chances, the kick itself pluse around 2 min instead of 1 min left in the game when we got the ball back. add to that the fact that k.brown seems to be very good at kicking the onside kick and its really a no brainer.(for a guy who's been around the game as long as him, anyway.)

Don't agree.

We would get a punt return, so Jacoby becomes a potential factor.

The onside kick, failing, sealed the deal.

beerlover
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Don't agree.

I'm of the opinion, until proven otherwise, Jacoby is best only in punt return duties @ home with his momma seated in the bull pen the direction he is headed :texflag:

BigBull17
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM

Sounds good to me, the offense isn't the problem.....our defense just sucks.

Infact I would've already fired Richard Smith so we can be ahead of the pack when looking for a Dcoordinator next season.

I dont think Smith has done that bad the last few weeks. AD didnt do all that well till the 4th quarter. His players made some awful plays, but I dont think he called a bad game.

Blake
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't agree.

I agree. There was obviously plenty of time to force a three and out. They would have to punt, possibly short, or big return from Jacoby, then medium to short field to get a TD. Onside was a risky move that ended up not paying off.

Im not giving up on Kubiak. I like him as a HC and think he will keep getting better.

***Unless Bill Cowher wants to coach for us, then sorry Gary. :P

Texan_Bill
11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
What makes anyone think they would punt the ball to Jacoby for an opportunity to return it?

leebigeztx
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
The only pproblem I had with kubes sunday was the last decision. In being fair, Cleveland had a similar situation earlier and romeeo was dogged. I thought at the time and "feel" of the game and the success rate of the onside kick vs forcing 3 and out, they should have kicked deep. If thekick deep, maybe even into the ennd zone, they going to play very close to the vest. Its going to be 3 runs and a punt. jones gets a chance for a return. With 1 min and som change and 50 yds to go, vs 90 yds inceases ur chances. With that said, the 2 picks made no sense and couldve been fg or td's. That wasn't kubes fault.

utahmark
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Don't agree.

doesnt matter that they would of been able to take an extra 45 sec off the clock?

vickings were playing good on special teams even if they didnt kick it out of bounds he hadnt did anything all day. i would rather have the onside chance plus the extra time than a punt return.

but thats not even the main point, the point is that when your calling for a guys job you dont use stupid stuff like this as your reason. the guy isnt making obvious wrong in game decisions. hes making normal decisions that of course everyone doesn't agree with. if you watch any nfl game your gonna see some decisions you dont agree with.

Specnatz
11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
What makes anyone think they would punt the ball to Jacoby for an opportunity to return it?

They shook their magic eight ball and got the out come ....

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p282/jabadoodle/__ReplyHazyTryAgain.png

utahmark
11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree. There was obviously plenty of time to force a three and out. They would have to punt, possibly short, or big return from Jacoby, then medium to short field to get a TD. Onside was a risky move that ended up not paying off.

Im not giving up on Kubiak. I like him as a HC and think he will keep getting better.

***Unless Bill Cowher wants to coach for us, then sorry Gary. :P

you guys dont understand. we barely forced them to run their 3rd down play before the 2 min warning. the extra time a kickoff takes would of probably made it where they could of run the clock down to 2 minutes before running their 3rd down play. then after the 2 min warning they get to run 45 more seconds off the clock. it would of changed the whold complexion of the end of the game. instead of having 2 min left when we got the ball we would of had around 1min. the onside kick was the only real option.

and Brown doesnt get a lot of touchbacks so that wasnt gonna happen either.

utahmark
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Don't agree.

doesnt matter that they would of been able to take an extra 45 sec off the clock?

vickings were playing good on special teams even if they didnt kick it out of bounds he hadnt did anything all day. i would rather have the onside chance plus the extra time than a punt return.

but thats not even the main point, the point is that when your calling for a guys job you dont use stupid stuff like this as your reason. the guy isnt making obvious wrong in game decisions. hes making normal decisions that of course everyone doesn't agree with. if you watch any nfl game your gonna see some decisions you dont agree with.

GP
11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
The only pproblem I had with kubes sunday was the last decision. In being fair, Cleveland had a similar situation earlier and romeeo was dogged. I thought at the time and "feel" of the game and the success rate of the onside kick vs forcing 3 and out, they should have kicked deep. If thekick deep, maybe even into the ennd zone, they going to play very close to the vest. Its going to be 3 runs and a punt. jones gets a chance for a return. With 1 min and som change and 50 yds to go, vs 90 yds inceases ur chances. With that said, the 2 picks made no sense and couldve been fg or td's. That wasn't kubes fault.

Markbeth: See the above post, which explains my reasoning.

It would have been run-run-run-punt. Short(er) field.

Handing the ball to the Vikings near mid-field gave them breathing room.

I do agree with you on one point: That it's easy for us to say we'd have done it another way, but the coach is making the call in a very short amount of time. He doesn't have the time that we have. I just want to see Schaub or Sage perform well under pressure, and pull out the W when the final whistle blows. I'd like Kubiak to do the same thing on his end.

The Dolphins game was an example of doing such a thing, but those sorts of endings are rare for us.

Sal Rosenberg
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Sue Everybody!!:specnatz:

Specnatz
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Markbeth: See the above post, which explains my reasoning.

It would have been run-run-run-punt. Short(er) field.

Handing the ball to the Vikings near mid-field gave them breathing room.

I do agree with you on one point: That it's easy for us to say we'd have done it another way, but the coach is making the call in a very short amount of time. He doesn't have the time that we have. I just want to see Schaub or Sage perform well under pressure, and pull out the W when the final whistle blows. I'd like Kubiak to do the same thing on his end.

The Dolphins game was an example of doing such a thing, but those sorts of endings are rare for us.

With our run D you think that is a guarantee?

Texan_Bill
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
With our run D you think that is a guarantee?

I think he might have meant run-run-run-extra point.

leebigeztx
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Nothing is 100% for sure, that's why these guys play %. The chart and the coach says they're going to play it safe. Most times with a lead, the running game and on the 20 with a defense says they will run it out and punt. If the kicker kicks it deep enough, it could be a touch back and no tim hardly expires. Now they're at their 20 with 250and the opponet has 1 to plus the warning. On the possession before the punt, they gained 6 yds and had to punt. If the punter does boom one, you're still looking at the 30--35 yd line vs the 7 or so. I'm not going to play arm chair qb, but it does kinda come into question. What the fans need to relialize is this is a team moving forward in the right direction. The once pittiful running game is solid. The team ws cap strapped now ithas room. The roster is better and is young. If the coach is fired, its a start over. The titans,steelers, colts,eagles, and a few others are a examples of stability.