PDA

View Full Version : Why do Texans (and not Cowboys) have to compete locally for TV viewers ?

nunusguy
11-02-2008, 11:10 AM
In todays local TV schedule there's another game on the noon time slot across from the Texans game (who play in MN at noon), while the Cowboys late game is "unopposed" ?
It's beyond me why the Houston Texans have to compete with another game in their time slot in Houston, TX while the Cowboys (not based in Houston of course), have a monopoly on TV air time in their time slot in terms of football viewing ? And I enjoy watching the Cowboys, but I don't care to watch them or any other team as much as the Texans.
But my question is mainly from a commercial perspective: Bob McNair, the teams owner, can't be happy with this arrangement ? Nor should the citys merchants and political body by and large.

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2008, 11:16 AM
In todays local TV schedule there's another game on the noon time slot across from the Texans game (who play in MN at noon), while the Cowboys late game is "unopposed" ?
It's beyond me why the Houston Texans have to compete with another game in their time slot in Houston, TX while the Cowboys (not based in Houston of course), have a monopoly on TV air time in their time slot in terms of football viewing ? And I enjoy watching the Cowboys, but I don't care to watch them or any other team as much as the Texans.
But my question is mainly from a commercial perspective: Bob McNair, the teams owner, can't be happy with this arrangement ? Nor should the citys merchants and political body by and large.

The same thing happens in Dallas when Dallas is the away team. Like when Dallas played the Rams, there was another game on (I forgot which one).

Norg
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
hmm ive got the game it says its coming on a 12 noon on channel 11
KHOU

they always play the texan games i dont know what u mean

ChampionTexan
11-02-2008, 11:20 AM

It's part of the contract and has nothing to do with the Texans or the Cowboys. The double-header rotates back and forth between Fox and CBS, and today is Fox's day to have it. While I seriously doubt they would be contractually allowed to show something else in Houston, the fact of the matter is they'd be insane to voluntarily give up an NFL game - any NFL game - regardless of what it's up against.

It could easily be the other way around if CBS has the double-header and the Cowboys play a late game.

Jackie Chiles
11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I think its just because there are fewer late games than morning games. We had a couple late games in a row just recently and it was the first time I could remember having them back to back. More people outside of a team's fan base tend to watch the late games because of the fact that there are less to chose from. If we keep winning we should get our share but in all honesty I enjoy the morning games way more because I don't like to wait until 3 to watch the Texans. We aren't ever going to be as popular as the Boys but we should see a few more late games in the future if we can keep winning.

Norg
11-02-2008, 11:23 AM
anywayz i have never had a problem CBS local tends to always play the texans games i cant remember when they didnt

but what i wanted to say there is alot of good games that there shwoing today

Greenbay vs Tenn

COlts vs Pats

YIPPIE !!!!!!!

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
anywayz i have never had a problem CBS local tends to always play the texans games i cant remember when they didnt

but what i wanted to say there is alot of good games that there shwoing today

Greenbay vs Tenn

COlts vs Pats

YIPPIE !!!!!!!

Okay, but that's not what he's talking about. The local team is always shown.

mexican_texan
11-02-2008, 11:35 AM
He's saying that when the Texans play, you can also watch another game on Fox, but when the Cowboys play, you can't watch another game on CBS

ObsiWan
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I think its just because there are fewer late games than morning games. We had a couple late games in a row just recently and it was the first time I could remember having them back to back. More people outside of a team's fan base tend to watch the late games because of the fact that there are less to chose from. If we keep winning we should get our share but in all honesty I enjoy the morning games way more because I don't like to wait until 3 to watch the Texans. We aren't ever going to be as popular as the Boys but we should see a few more late games in the future if we can keep winning.

I think its as simple as that.

nunusguy
11-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I think its just because there are fewer late games than morning games.

Of course you're right. Actually there's only one late game where the AFC is the visiting team and therefor CBS would be the televising network. It's Miami at Denver, which wouldn't be as interesting to me (or most fans I'm sure) as the Dallas vs NY Giants game. But the early game with the Texans will have my undivided attension, while I might give some time to Miami vs Denver if I had this option across from Cowboys vs Giants ? Puzzling to me why the owners don't shut off the competition in their own market ? We all know that the NFL is first & foremost about the allmighty greenback.

Mailman
11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
No, that's not the reason why. It has nothing to do with the distribution of late vs. early games and everything to do with the contracts the networks have with the NFL.

Mailman
11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
It's part of the contract and has nothing to do with the Texans or the Cowboys. The double-header rotates back and forth between Fox and CBS, and today is Fox's day to have it. While I seriously doubt they would be contractually allowed to show something else in Houston, the fact of the matter is they'd be insane to voluntarily give up an NFL game - any NFL game - regardless of what it's up against.

It could easily be the other way around if CBS has the double-header and the Cowboys play a late game.
^Correct answer^

It's been this way for as long as I can remember watching football, except the NBC had the AFC and CBS had the NFC.

Is this really that new to ya'll?

nunusguy
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Is this really that new to ya'll?
Not at all, but I wondered about the application of the policy ? Is it applyed uniformly or not throughtout all NFL cities ? That was my issue ?
Another poster (G-B I think), said earlier in this thread it was the same policy up in N.Texas for Cowboy games. So if that's the case, I got NP. But I just didn't know if it was a different policy elsewhere, i.e. more preferential to the home-town team ?

The Pencil Neck
11-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Not at all, but I wondered about the application of the policy ? Is it applyed uniformly or not throughtout all NFL cities ? That was my issue ?
Another poster (G-B I think), said earlier in this thread it was the same policy up in N.Texas for Cowboy games. So if that's the case, I got NP. But I just didn't know if it was a different policy elsewhere ?

I've lived in a lot of different places and a lot of different states and I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere.

spurstexanstros
11-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Have you not met Jerry Jones? he is probably chair of scheduling comittee. Which explains our sched and theirs