PDA

View Full Version : Truly an amazing stat

stingray
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio last night. And they were talking about what a disadvantage it was for west coast teams to travel and play east coast teams with an early start time. Bob Poppa and Shannon Sharpe were the commentators. Sharpe was saying that it was the early start time and the travel as the main reason that many west coast teams lost. But Poppa disagreed and stated the reason was really only because the west coast teams are just sorry.

He then mentioned that the 80's niners teams never had any trouble travelling to the east coast and coming out with a win. As a matter of fact he said, they hold the all time road winning streak which stands at 18. I couldn't believe that stat.. 18!!!. They said that the streak lasted from 1988 to 1990. I really could not believe that stat. This fact along with the super bowl wins convinced me that the 1980's 49ers were the greatest team of all time. It's hard enough to win on the road but to win 18, truly an amazing statistic.

Speedy
11-01-2008, 01:06 PM
It's called "Negative Body Clock".

West coast teams normally play their home games at 1 pm PT, which is 3 pm here, 4 pm on the east coast.

When they travel to the east coast and play the early game, which east coast teams usually do, 1 pm ET, it's 10:00 in the morning for the west caost teams.

I never thought anything about this until I started playing the game inside the game, but there actually seems to be something to it. Those teams won't always lose, but they seem not to cover most of the time.

Say the 9ers back in the day were favored to win by 10. They may still win the game, but only by a FG.

SheTexan
11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio last night. And they were talking about what a disadvantage it was for west coast teams to travel and play east coast teams with an early start time. Bob Poppa and Shannon Sharpe were the commentators. Sharpe was saying that it was the early start time and the travel as the main reason that many west coast teams lost. But Poppa disagreed and stated the reason was really only because the west coast teams are just sorry.

He then mentioned that the 80's niners teams never had any trouble travelling to the east coast and coming out with a win. As a matter of fact he said, they hold the all time road winning streak which stands at 18. I couldn't believe that stat.. 18!!!. They said that the streak lasted from 1988 to 1990. I really could not believe that stat. This fact along with the super bowl wins convinced me that the 1980's 49ers were the greatest team of all time. It's hard enough to win on the road but to win 18, truly an amazing statistic.

To me there has never been a doubt! Fans can talk about the boys from North Texas all they want, but, they never held a candle to the Niners, back in the glory days. The NINERS 5 SB rings are a true reminder of what NFL football USE to be like! I miss it. My old heart stills skips a beat when I think about some of those games of so long ago.

Kaiser Toro
11-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I bet these conditions any time I can. Last week I hit a two teamer with the Panthers over the Cards and the Ravens over the Raiders. The only one that comes top of mind, that I lost, was the Raiders playing at Buffalo in Sept.

This is easy money, the odds are very much in your favor.

Kaiser Toro
11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Seattle @ Miami this week in the lone instance. Miami favored by 9 is the opening line.

HoustonFrog
11-03-2008, 09:48 AM
To me there has never been a doubt! Fans can talk about the boys from North Texas all they want, but, they never held a candle to the Niners, back in the glory days. The NINERS 5 SB rings are a true reminder of what NFL football USE to be like! I miss it. My old heart stills skips a beat when I think about some of those games of so long ago.

Sorry SheTexan but the Cowboys were every bit as good and people forget they were one Dwight Clark non catch from going to another SB. Talk about amazing..they had 20 straight winning records from 1966 to 1985. 20!!You know how hard that is?They also have most seasons with 10 wins..25. They have done it over multiple decades. The 49ers were great but did it with one team in one decade. Heck I'd take the Dallas teams that lost to Pitt in the late 70s SBs over those 49ers. 5 SBs in 8 appearance and 14 NFC Championship games. I'll take them. Not trying to be a Cowboy homer but I just think people forget the longevity of the franchise and how good they were in the 70s and early 80s, not just the 90s.