PDA

View Full Version : Research project

Yankee_In_TX
10-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Someone called CP on 790 tonight, asking what happens if the Texans were 10-6 but 0-6 in the division and no other team did better then 9-7.

Soooooo... For some of you stats hounds, which team has had the worst division record while winning the division?

mexican_texan
10-29-2008, 11:46 PM
This reminds me of 2004 when we were 7-9, but we would have had the better division record if we had beat Indy once, and I think they were 11-5

texasguy346
10-30-2008, 01:47 AM
This season we couldn't possibly go 10-6 if we go 0-6 in the division. We've already lost a game to the Steelers so the best we could do is 9-7 while going 0-6 in the division. If that's the case then clearly if another AFC South team is 9-7 with a better division record they'd certainly go ahead of us.

As for your last question I have no clue.

The Pencil Neck
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Someone called CP on 790 tonight, asking what happens if the Texans were 10-6 but 0-6 in the division and no other team did better then 9-7.

Soooooo... For some of you stats hounds, which team has had the worst division record while winning the division?

A couple of years ago, the Colts went 3-3 in the division and won the division and went to the playoffs. That same year, the Cowboys went 2-4 in their division and still finished 9-7 and went to the playoffs on a wildcard. The Seahawks went 3-3 in their division that year and won it as well. The Panthers went 5-1 in their division and didn't make the playoffs because they finished 8-8.

Normally, the teams at the top of the division actually do well in the division. But, mathematically, it's not necessary to win the divisional games to actually win the division. You can lose them all and still finish 10-6... it just hasn't been done recently... if at all. Right now, we've already lost a non-divisional game so the best we could do (assuming we lose all the divisional games and win the rest of the non-divisonal ones) is 9-7.

Yankee_In_TX
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks Pencil Neck - rep. I wonder if any 2-4's have ever won their division...

The Pencil Neck
10-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Pencil Neck - rep. I wonder if any 2-4's have ever won their division...

I went back all the way to 1980. The only time a team had a losing record in the division and WON that division was in 1982 which I think was a strike year. The Packers went 1-2 in the division that year.

Other than that, the worst divisional records that ended up as division winners were all even records and I count 9 times. (Although, one of those times is iffy because the team ended up in a 3-way tie for first place of the division. I'm not sure offhand if they, the Saints, got into the playoffs that year.)