PDA

View Full Version : Green injured again..? If so then...

TexanBorn51
10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
According to this link http://rotoworld.com/ states that Green has injury issues again which is not surprising. If so and Taylor and Walker are out so does that then mean it's Slaton and Moats this weekend.

mexican_texan
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes. Cecil Sapp would probably be behind them.

stingray
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I knew that Ahman playing that long was to good to be true. Well, hopefully he'll be back soon.

TexanBorn51
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. So it would then be Slaton, Moats, and Sapp. Who would have thought last year that now all three RB's had not played with the Texans until this year and the ones from last year gone.

b0ng
10-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Yuck! Well, I imagine that moats, sapp, then probably leach is what will happen probably, which doesn't sound pretty. You guys know what we need.

I'll give you a hint:

He probably likes donuts (http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/Ron_Dayne.jpg).

TexanBorn51
10-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Yuck! Well, I imagine that moats, sapp, then probably leach is what will happen probably, which doesn't sound pretty. You guys know what we need.

I'll give you a hint:

He probably likes donuts (http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/Ron_Dayne.jpg).

There was that great special place for Dayne the train back last year.Wear them down with those three yarders and he was always healthy. I wonder just curious but where actually is he now?

mexican_texan
10-29-2008, 10:44 PM
There was that great special place for Dayne the train back last year.Wear them down with those three yarders and he was always healthy. I wonder just curious but where actually is he now?
I saw him last week at an all-you-can-eat place. Let me tell you, this guy is a competitor.

TexanBorn51
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I saw him last week at an all-you-can-eat place. Let me tell you, this guy is a competitor.
So I assume that he is not playing but rather still may be waiting for a phone call from a team looking for a RB.

b0ng
10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
So I assume that he is not playing but rather still may be waiting for a phone call from a team looking for a RB.

Shaun Alexander is signed so yeah, he's probably on deck on somebody's short list.

mexican_texan
10-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Right. The thing is, though, that teams looking for RBs haven't even looked at Dayne. They look at younger players instead. Even Wali Lundy can't get a sniff.

mussop
10-30-2008, 02:41 AM
I for one am pretty excited to see Moats get a few snaps. The guy looked quick on the couple of plays he got last week.

Anyone have an update on Chriss Brown? Is he still on hte team?

TexanBorn51
10-30-2008, 06:42 AM
I for one am pretty excited to see Moats get a few snaps. The guy looked quick on the couple of plays he got last week.

I think he's still on but not sure so what would be the RB order then
Slaton
Moats
Sapp
Brown

mexican_texan
10-30-2008, 06:46 AM

He's out for the season, probably done for his career. He may have had an injury settlement.

The Pencil Neck
10-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Having a bit of selective memory, there? Dayne was injured for most of last year. He played through it most of the time but Walker got his starts because Dayne was too injured to go.

I saw Dayne on the sideline at last week's Wisconsin game.

The Pencil Neck
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM

He's on IR.

drewmar74
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I think he's still on but not sure so what would be the RB order then
Slaton
Moats
Sapp
Brown

Slaton
Mario
Moats
Sapp

Fixed if for you.

Sincerely,

Richard Smith

Malloy
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Slaton
Mario
Moats
Sapp

Fixed if for you.

Sincerely,

Richard Smith

If he can hold o to the ball I dont give a damn, try it out :)

V3rm0nt3r
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
ahhh... we have such a way with running backs. two on IR already plus Green who can't stay healthy to save his life...or contract. Sign the big man back at least he'll give us a short yardage back so we aren't running Slaton into the dirt. plus the guy's got mad heart considering he was hurt for a lot of the year but still went out there for a team who, he must have guessed, would cut him at the end of the year.

Malloy
10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
ahhh... we have such a way with running backs. two on IR already plus Green who can't stay healthy to save his life...or contract. Sign the big man back at least he'll give us a short yardage back so we aren't running Slaton into the dirt. plus the guy's got mad heart considering he was hurt for a lot of the year but still went out there for a team who, he must have guessed, would cut him at the end of the year.

I would call Dayne, tell him to work out like a madman, and once (unfortunately) Green is unable to start, Dayne will come in and compliment Slaton. Despite what people think of Dayne, I think he was pretty fast once he went through the hole. I can only imagine how productive he would be in an effective ZBS, I have a feeling that he would grind out ALOT of yards but hey, unfortunately we'll never know...

[edit] Actually I have a feeling that he would be a complete LB-terror, one quarter of him slamming into linebackers would wear a D down.. alot :)

drewmar74
10-30-2008, 01:26 PM

Dayne runs waaaay too soft to be an effective short yardage back. Dances too much in the backfield, also.

Heck, he's not even that good of a part time back. My $0.02 on Dayne was that he looked a lot more effective when he was the starter and looked like garbage when he would play part time.

mexican_texan
10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Didn't Mario used to play RB?

Malloy
10-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Dayne runs waaaay too soft to be an effective short yardage back. Dances too much in the backfield, also.

Funny how perception works. I never saw Dayne as much of a dancer, what I saw was him being told to wait until a hole opened, but the O-line were not able to open up jack. On the plays where he would cut and go (or smack up the middle) I saw what, to me, looked like steady yards. If I remember correctly, Dayne had some real nice runs to the outside, no dancing, just go.

From what I saw (that damn perception thingie again!), Dayne could be an interesting addition to the ZBS rushing attack.

Yankee_In_TX
10-30-2008, 02:15 PM
I would call Dayne, tell him to work out like a madman, and once (unfortunately) Green is unable to start, Dayne will come in and compliment Slaton. Despite what people think of Dayne, I think he was pretty fast once he went through the hole. I can only imagine how productive he would be in an effective ZBS, I have a feeling that he would grind out ALOT of yards but hey, unfortunately we'll never know...

[edit] Actually I have a feeling that he would be a complete LB-terror, one quarter of him slamming into linebackers would wear a D down.. alot :)

People called me crazy when our roster had 3 backs we knew wouldn't make it 16 games - Taylor, Brown, Green.

At least Dayne was always healthy, and even productive in Nov. and Dec.

V3rm0nt3r
10-30-2008, 03:03 PM

Heck, he's not even that good of a part time back. My $0.02 on Dayne was that he looked a lot more effective when he was the starter and looked like garbage when he would play part time.

hm... but if we have him just go in on short yardage situations don't you think he'll get the idea that we want him to get to the line asap? so i don't think he'll be dancing around. and honestly, him or Sapp?

unless your answer is Sapp in which case don't post. it makes me look bad...

drewmar74
10-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Funny how perception works. I never saw Dayne as much of a dancer, what I saw was him being told to wait until a hole opened, but the O-line were not able to open up jack. On the plays where he would cut and go (or smack up the middle) I saw what, to me, looked like steady yards. If I remember correctly, Dayne had some real nice runs to the outside, no dancing, just go.

From what I saw (that damn perception thingie again!), Dayne could be an interesting addition to the ZBS rushing attack.

I remember some instances where I was screaming at the TV for Dayne to go and he just pitter-pattered around the line. Maybe he was afraid to bang it in there because of what happened to Spencer? Who knows.

Dayne ran like a small man in a big man's body. He never did run really tough inside which is why I bristle when people suggest that he was / would be a good short yardage back. Why do you think that he was never "Thunder" to Tiki Barber's "Lightning?" It was more like "9 volt and Lightning" when he came out to the Giants from Wisconsin.

I would agree to him being productive in the ZBS. He resurrected (to some degree) his career in Denver and did well as a third option behind Anderson and Gary, methinks, running that offense.

Which, IIRC, was when he was the full time starter by default. Everyone else had been either pitifully ineffective or was damaged goods. By Nov. and Dec. we were begging for Ronnie to just get us 70 yards per game. When he started and got 90% of the reps, he was good for 70 YPG (give or take). Me, I think we can get faster, more effective relief for Slaton than what could be had in Dayne. And Slaton >>>>> Dayne so I surely don't want Slaton spelling the fat man.

hm... but if we have him just go in on short yardage situations don't you think he'll get the idea that we want him to get to the line asap? so i don't think he'll be dancing around. and honestly, him or Sapp?

unless your answer is Sapp in which case don't post. it makes me look bad...

I really don't know enough about Sapp to say. I do know that if I'm on a 3rd and 1 at the opponents 2YL, I don't want the Dayne Train going up the middle. Because he never really seemed to move the pile. I'd rather have Slaton do a flying leap over the pile than have Dayne try to bull his way through.

JWarren14
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Adimchinobi Echemandu
:fans:

mexican_texan
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Adimchinobi Echemandu
:fans:
Gesundheit.

JWarren14
10-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks, I think I am catching a cold...

Malloy
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
IWhich, IIRC, was when he was the full time starter by default. Everyone else had been either pitifully ineffective or was damaged goods. By Nov. and Dec. we were begging for Ronnie to just get us 70 yards per game. When he started and got 90% of the reps, he was good for 70 YPG (give or take). Me, I think we can get faster, more effective relief for Slaton than what could be had in Dayne. And Slaton >>>>> Dayne so I surely don't want Slaton spelling the fat man.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Dayne instead of Slaton. I'm loving me some Slaton on this team, but I think that Dayne would fit nicely as a backup bruiser type, just dont let him wait for a hole to open up, just smack it in there. Also, I think he would benefit greatly with a better O-line, like the one we have now.

Oh well its speculation at best, chances are that he wont ever get the chance, so whether or not it would work will likely never be known :)

TexanBorn51
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
So after all said and done now that Green is not in this Sunday it is
Slaton
Moats
Sapp
Green currently not healthy (each game he plays gets paid contract)
for this Viking game.
Because Green is out this Sunday but may be ready to go for the Ravens game. The Texans currently have to work with what they have now

The Pencil Neck
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Where is this "always healthy" thing coming from? Dayne wasn't always healthy.

Thorn
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
You can add me to the list that kind of misses the Dayne Train. But, you go with what ya got. Slaton can't carry the load by himself, so he has to have someone else. I'm interested to see what happens this weekend with those other two.

kcdoubleeagle
10-30-2008, 09:13 PM
cannot believe I am reading this.

Ron. Dayne. Was. TERRIBLE.:gun:

PapaL
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
How did Dayne become a Texan?

What? He was cut from DEN because he was injured and sucked?

Hmm...

Why was he cut from our team?

Because he sucked worse then the clowns we brought in.

TexanBorn51
10-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Dayne the Train...healthy or not healthy here were some stats and mind you that he came in later as starter to fill in for Green 2007

2006- 11 games- Rushng 612 yards -55 Y/G -Avg 4.1- 5 TD - 1 fumble
2007 -13 games- Rushing 773 yards- 59.5Y/G - Avg 4- 6 TD - 1 fumble

what other RB had those stats since DDavis...

PapaL
10-30-2008, 09:29 PM
What other RBs have there been since DD?

An injured Green and an injured Taylor.

Pretty easy to better than 2 guys who didn't play.

TexanBorn51
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
What other RBs have there been since DD?

An injured Green and an injured Taylor.

If I understand this right he seemed to be the man. And to think of the quality of the O line then and the O line now and how the passing was then and the passing now. Other than he being a year older what would he be like now. Not as a starter but complimenting Slaton. I guess we'll see what Moats and/or Sapp do and who knows one of them may be the next man. Oh and of course the unsung hero FB blocking Vonta Leach what a beast he's been.

dalemurphy
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
If I understand this right he seemed to be the man. And to think of the quality of the O line then and the O line now and how the passing was then and the passing now. Other than he being a year older what would he be like now. Not as a starter but complimenting Slaton. I guess we'll see what Moats and/or Sapp do and who knows one of them may be the next man. Oh and of course the unsung hero FB blocking Vonta Leach what a beast he's been.

We would have to replace the center and change the offensive system in order for Dayne to be, perhaps, somewhat effective. He can not attack the edges and therefore can not play in the zone scheme. Therefore, we would need to revert to a power blocking system- by the way, we don't have a center who can do that.

So, forget it. It's a moot point.

PapaL
10-31-2008, 08:13 AM

Every time Leach is in the game, I watch him. I get hyped watching bring the pain. On Slaton's TD run this past week I kept playing the Leach block over and over yelling "BOOM". It was a thing of beauty.

Leach for the ProBowl!

TexanBorn51
10-31-2008, 08:24 AM
We would have to replace the center and change the offensive system in order for Dayne to be, perhaps, somewhat effective. He can not attack the edges and therefore can not play in the zone scheme. Therefore, we would need to revert to a power blocking system- by the way, we don't have a center who can do that.

So, forget it. It's a moot point.
My point was not really to bring him back but to explain the health and not health issue production of a Texan RB. Your point on the blocking scheme sounds right. But once again I'm still asking for the lineup for this Sunday and thensome game(s) and another RB in case another is injured. Maybe the PS. I guess for now we have 3 RB's
Slaton
Moats
Sapp

Scooter
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
green
walker
echemandu
gado
taylor
lundy

dayne

hardly a hall of fame worthy group over the past 2 years, but only one name has been both good enough to get on the field and the only one to stay on the field. obviously the coaches dont feel that dayne's worth keeping around so this discussion means squat, but i dont think it's fair to downplay what dayne did as a texan. averaging 4ypc behind a line that wasnt as talented and in a system that wasnt working doesnt strike me as a player that needs ridicule. what dayne did for us and what he could do for us if we brought him back is handle carries, he can be trusted to average 4 yards and maintain 10-15 touches per game to spell slaton without hurting himself. it wont happen, but i'm in agreement that it probably should.

drewmar74
10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Well, Dayne is out there and Kubiak / Smith haven't called him back. I suppose that they think that Slaton + Moats / Sapp / Green (when healthy) is greater than Slaton + Dayne / et. al.

I appreciate what Dayne did, but I've got to be hopeful that Kubiak and Smith know what they're doing by putting different players on the field.

texan9885
10-31-2008, 09:53 AM
green
walker
echemandu
gado
taylor
lundy

dayne

hardly a hall of fame worthy group over the past 2 years, but only one name has been both good enough to get on the field and the only one to stay on the field. obviously the coaches dont feel that dayne's worth keeping around so this discussion means squat, but i dont think it's fair to downplay what dayne did as a texan. averaging 4ypc behind a line that wasnt as talented and in a system that wasnt working doesnt strike me as a player that needs ridicule. what dayne did for us and what he could do for us if we brought him back is handle carries, he can be trusted to average 4 yards and maintain 10-15 touches per game to spell slaton without hurting himself. it wont happen, but i'm in agreement that it probably should.

I am with you on the Dayne Train!!!

ChampionTexan
10-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Well, Dayne is out there and Kubiak / Smith haven't called him back. I suppose that they think that Slaton + Moats / Sapp / Green (when healthy) is greater than Slaton + Dayne / et. al.

I appreciate what Dayne did, but I've got to be hopeful that Kubiak and Smith know what they're doing by putting different players on the field.

I think that given the fact that the Texans have added three RB's to the roster since the season started (Walker, Sapp, Moats), and Dayne's name hasn't surfaced (other than on this board) in months, it's probably safe to assume we've seen the last of Big Ron in these parts.

ATRAIN
10-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Its time to look for Dominick Davis (Willams) LMAO

BigBull17
10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
I knew that Ahman playing that long was to good to be true. Well, hopefully he'll be back soon.

Which sucks because he was fine until he got horse collered.

gtexan02
10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Is he supposed to play on Sunday? He is listed as DTD

ChampionTexan
10-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Is he supposed to play on Sunday? He is listed as DTD

My guess is when the injury report comes out today, he'll be listed as questionable. It appears to be very iffy as to whether he plays, but unless something's been updated in the last hour or so, the comments that imply or say straight out that he's been ruled out for the Vikings are not accurate.

TexanBorn51
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Practice report says Green practiced today and it's day by day. Kubiak says it may be gameday decision from the way I understand it.

steelbtexan
10-31-2008, 05:33 PM
We're in good hands

Moats & Sapp will be fine as a chage of pace back if Geeen cant play.

I'm very high on Moats. He played very well for Philly before getting hurt. He runs hard & has the speed to take it to the house.

These are the best group of RB's we've ever had. It amazes me that people think Dayne was any good but I guess when compared to the likes of Mack, Morency, Taylor, Lundy, & Walker, Dayne looks pretty good.

GEEZ WE HAVE HAD SOME CRAPPY RB'S

Yankee_In_TX
10-31-2008, 05:44 PM

That's pretty much my point. Give me option B and I'll take it! For some reason when we moved to get another back we picked up.... Chris Brown?!

But with us continually signing/keeping injury prone backs (DD, Taylor, Brown, Green), NO ONE can argue that Dayne is worse then a guy on the sideline.

However, let the Football Gods smile and by a miracle, lets field Green/Moats/Slayton for the rest of the year! (and Sapp....? who?)

CloakNNNdagger
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
That's pretty much my point. Give me option B and I'll take it! For some reason when we moved to get another back we picked up.... Chris Brown?!

But with us continually signing/keeping injury prone backs (DD, Taylor, Brown, Green), NO ONE can argue that Dayne is worse then a guy on the sideline.

However, let the Football Gods smile and by a miracle, lets field Green/Moats/Slayton for the rest of the year! (and Sapp....? who?)

Just hope that one of these can truly "be there" to spell/complement Slaton thoughout the season...............so not to run Slaton into the ground.

threetoedpete
10-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Dayne the Train...healthy or not healthy here were some stats and mind you that he came in later as starter to fill in for Green 2007

2006- 11 games- Rushng 612 yards -55 Y/G -Avg 4.1- 5 TD - 1 fumble

1 promising Left Tackle wrecked.

2007 -13 games- Rushing 773 yards- 59.5Y/G - Avg 4- 6 TD - 1 fumble

what other RB had those stats since DDavis...

There fixed it for you. I'd rather go in the wacko direction and give Cory Boyd a sniff. Medications optional.

I think every one made out with the Dayne situation. He got us by and Ronnie got paid. MHO, the unknown has more up side.

From your fingers to God's eyes up there Doc.

TexanSam
11-01-2008, 12:20 AM
We're in good hands

Moats & Sapp will be fine as a chage of pace back if Geeen cant play.

I'm very high on Moats. He played very well for Philly before getting hurt. He runs hard & has the speed to take it to the house.

These are the best group of RB's we've ever had. It amazes me that people think Dayne was any good but I guess when compared to the likes of Mack, Morency, Taylor, Lundy, & Walker, Dayne looks pretty good.

GEEZ WE HAVE HAD SOME CRAPPY RB'S

Eh, I won't be sold on Moats until he actually does something in the NFL. He had a whopping 278 yards with Philly in 2005. From the looks of it, besides Slaton and Green, we still have some crappy backs until they prove otherwise.

It's unlikely that any of them will be all that effective on Sunday against the Viking's d-line. Hopefully Slaton can get to the outside a few times and pull off some nice runs for us because chances are he and whoever else is active on Sunday won't be able to do much up the middle. Hope I'm wrong on that one though.

beerlover
11-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Eh, I won't be sold on Moats until he actually does something in the NFL. He had a whopping 278 yards with Philly in 2005. From the looks of it, besides Slaton and Green, we still have some crappy backs until they prove otherwise.

Slaton has been far from crappy, Moats was a legit 3rd rd. pick that had bad luck injury wise, Philly has Westbrook (back-ups never see the field unless hurt) but he possess some of those same elusive traits thats why they drafted him & Ahman is well just past his prime trying to hang on a little longer, can't blame him for that as long as someone keeps paying him, hell I'd do it too :cool:

It's unlikely that any of them will be all that effective on Sunday against the Viking's d-line. Hopefully Slaton can get to the outside a few times and pull off some nice runs for us because chances are he and whoever else is active on Sunday won't be able to do much up the middle. Hope I'm wrong on that one though.

its going to be a stiff challenge for sure but I think we will at least have a better understanding where we're at after this game than before :tiphat:

Scooter
11-01-2008, 01:24 AM
edit

Yankee_In_TX
11-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Just hope that one of these can truly "be there" to spell/complement Slaton thoughout the season...............so not to run Slaton into the ground.

Yup!

Specnatz
11-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Green inactive for the game.