PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Faulk Picks the Texans

eriadoc
10-29-2008, 12:18 AM
On NFL Total Access this evening, TD and Marshall Faulk were asked which of the 3-4 teams from the AFC South would make the playoffs. TD picked the Colts, but Faulk picked the Texans, citing Schaub, AJ, and Owen Daniels as the reasons.

Allstar
10-29-2008, 12:46 AM
That's delightfully surprising. I like Marshall.

Specnatz
10-29-2008, 03:05 AM
I saw that the other day. He loves him some Schaub, AJ, and OD.

Malloy
10-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Honestly I am SO tierd of not getting any love from the medi...

wait a minute?!?!

BuffaloglennTX
10-29-2008, 07:47 AM
On NFL Total Access this evening, TD and Marshall Faulk were asked which of the 3-4 teams from the AFC South would make the playoffs. TD picked the Colts, but Faulk picked the Texans, citing Schaub, AJ, and Owen Daniels as the reasons.

That's awesome, but I have to wonder if Marshall is just trying to "unretire" and get a contract with the Texans should Green go down! It is a good sign for the team when former players recognize the consistency with which the Texans offense has played the last five games.

Malloy
10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
That's awesome, but I have to wonder if Marshall is just trying to "unretire" and get a contract with the Texans should Green go down! It is a good sign for the team when former players recognize the consistency with which the Texans offense has played the last five games.

No problem, when Green goes down, Faulk can take over his contract :)

Hardcore Texan
10-29-2008, 07:57 AM

I saw that last night too. The Texans got some more love on the show. Jacoby's punt return was #6 on their top 10 plays and Schaub was nominated for the Fed Ex Air/Ground award thingy for going 24/28, 280 yards and 3 TD's.

We are a young team on the rise. :fans:

TexansSeminole
10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
That's delightfully surprising. I like Marshall.

I don't really like Faulk as an analyst. Reminds me of Emmitt Smith, just not nearly as bad.

J-Russ
10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I posted after the first two week of the season that I thought the Titans were going to be first and the jags were going to be last in the divison, with us and the Colts fighting it out for the 2nd place. Looks like the NFLN crew feel that way too.

I'm starting to feel alot more optimistic(again...) after the Cincy game. Hopefully this is the game that finally show that we have developed some swagger and 'tude. I'm thinking we can go undefeated at home the rest of the way, and lose only two road games against CLE and GB. TEN might be more beatable then we think, it'll probably be a battle red game(the only official BR game is Jags, so we have another day we can use) and we all know how awesome the power of those Battle Red jersey are. I think we could def. go and win the next three, which would've look like crazy talk a week or two ago... don't really have a basis on this, just a gut feeling that I had for about a week. The feeling got alot stronger against the Cincinnati beatdown.

If we do go on and have a 10-6 Playoff Season, you guys can just go ahead and thank Jacoby for it. The Miami game is going to end up as the turning point of the season if it happens, and the turning point in that game was the PR for a TD.

Texan_Bill
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM

I saw that. Or at least I thought I saw that. Thanks for confirming that I am not in fact going crazy.

Goldensilence
10-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I posted after the first two week of the season that I thought the Titans were going to be first and the jags were going to be last in the divison, with us and the Colts fighting it out for the 2nd place. Looks like the NFLN crew feel that way too.

I'm starting to feel alot more optimistic(again...) after the Cincy game. Hopefully this is the game that finally show that we have developed some swagger and 'tude. I'm thinking we can go undefeated at home the rest of the way, and lose only two road games against CLE and GB. TEN might be more beatable then we think, it'll probably be a battle red game(the only official BR game is Jags, so we have another day we can use) and we all know how awesome the power of those Battle Red jersey are. I think we could def. go and win the next three, which would've look like crazy talk a week or two ago... don't really have a basis on this, just a gut feeling that I had for about a week. The feeling got alot stronger against the Cincinnati beatdown.

If we do go on and have a 10-6 Playoff Season, you guys can just go ahead and thank Jacoby for it. The Miami game is going to end up as the turning point of the season if it happens, and the turning point in that game was the PR for a TD.

Respectfully disagree. I think the Indy Game was the turnaround. Sage doing his thing pretty much cemented Matt Schaub as the unquestioned starter. I think any QB plays with more confidence when there isn't a guy pressing them. That and the whole team played pretty well. I'm not one on "moral" victories but this team could've imploded after that game and didn't. Some of the credit has to go to this staff(well parts of it)

Sideline
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Just saw that myself (we get total access on a days delay over here) really refreshing to see someone pick us. As soon as they brought it up in 4 downs I was sure they were both going to go Colts, a pleasant surprise that Marshall didn't.

J-Russ
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Respectfully disagree. I think the Indy Game was the turnaround. Sage doing his thing pretty much cemented Matt Schaub as the unquestioned starter. I think any QB plays with more confidence when there isn't a guy pressing them. That and the whole team played pretty well. I'm not one on "moral" victories but this team could've imploded after that game and didn't. Some of the credit has to go to this staff(well parts of it)

Well they did started off 0-14 in the dolphins game at home, until Jacoby rejuvenated the whole team. And the clutch play in final seconds gave us a confidence boost that kept snowballing as we beat the crappy team and totally change the team and fans perspective as we go into Minny. Don't see how MIA wasn't the TP of the season.

If you're basing INDY as the TP of the season only on the fact that Schaub job was cemented by Sage goofing up, then I have to disagree, especially since Schaub started off real shaky against MIA. I would consider that game, along with JAC, as the "rising action" because we were starting to play better and more cohesive as a team, as well as Kubiak learning from his past mistakes. But it wasn't until Jacoby return the PR for a score that our team started to rally back. That was the climax, IMO, that got us the win against the Dolphins, which ultimately could lead us to our first PO and winning season.

But yea, I do agree with abunch of credits needing to go to the staff. Kubiak is instilling what he wanted to develop when he first came into the team, a winning atmosphere and a winning attitude. Its really surprising to see how the team keeps coming back stronger and stronger every week no matter how devasting the last loss was(getting BO 2 week in a row, OT loss, 5min of Chokezilla.). Kubiak and staff needs to get alot of credit for keeping the team focus and motivated, especially considering how much flame Kubiak was getting at the beginning of the season.

Giant Tiger
10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I saw that the other day. He loves him some Schaub, AJ, and OD.

I saw that, too. That was cool :)

edo783
10-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I saw it also, but I just have a hard time taking Faulk seriously. I watch him and all I can see is Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman with the shape of his mouth and the way he smiles. Still, nice to see a talking head pick the guys to do well.

thunderkyss
10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
A guy at work told me today, that the Texans are going to win the SuperBowl this year.

He's not a football guy....... though he loves football. But he drew several comparisons between the Texans and the Patriots, the first time they won the Super Bowl. Nothing concrete, and basically saying we're this years Cinderella.

I told him I like the idea, but I'd be happy if we'd just start playing well consistently.

This week, will be a big test. The Minnesota Vikings have allowed only 70ypg so far this season. If we deserve to think our team doesn't belong at the bottom of the division, we need to top that mark.

I know people don't want to hear it, but this is a run team, and if we can't run the ball, our future isn't very bright.

defensively, we've got work to do. No doubt.

We've got an offensively minded coach...... who built his career on running the football. If we can't do that, then there is no chance he'll be able to teach this team how to play defense.

gtexan02
10-29-2008, 09:26 PM
As much as we'd like to pretend we're a run team, the stats just don't support it. I would call us an equal opportunity attack, or maybe even a passing team

ObsiWan
10-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Call me crazy (not everyone at once, thank you) but I think that special teams performance will swing this game.

The way I see it Schaub-to-Johnson will do as much offensive damage as Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. The respective defensive stats aren't that far apart. We've given the ball away 14 times, them - 15 (yeah, I was amazed someone was worse than us too). Our "running attack" is just as weak as their "passing attack". So other than being at home, I see no clear advantage for the Vikes.

Now a couple of games back, two punt returns for TDs almost cost Minnesota a win against New Orleans. Their punt coverage team allows a league high 18+ yds/punt (we allow around 12). So I'm thinking that if Jacoby can bust one (maybe two) big returns against them, that could swing the odds in our favor and definitely take their crowd out of the game.

Marciano's boys could swing this game for us.

El Tejano
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
The Miami game is going to end up as the turning point of the season if it happens, and the turning point in that game was the PR for a TD.

The PR is what kept us in that game, but you have to really look at the 4th and 10 catch that Andre had as the turning point. That catch saved our season.

barrett
10-30-2008, 08:38 AM
if this isn't semantics i don't know what is but none-the-less, i'm going to have to agree with the punt return as the ignitor. by Johnson's touchdown the will was already present and he was doing the forcing of said will upon a perfectly positioned DB.

on a larger scale though, the turning point was three + years ago when kubiak was brought in and subsequently Rick Smith. THAT is the turning point.

BigBull17
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=ObsiWan;1036852]Call me crazy (not everyone at once, thank you) but I think that special teams performance will swing this game.

The way I see it Schaub-to-Johnson will do as much offensive damage as Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. The respective defensive stats aren't that far apart. We've given the ball away 14 times, them - 15 (yeah, I was amazed someone was worse than us too). Our "running attack" is just as weak as their "passing attack". So other than being at home, I see no clear advantage for the Vikes.

Now a couple of games back, two punt returns for TDs almost cost Minnesota a win against New Orleans. Their punt coverage team allows a league high 18+ yds/punt (we allow around 12). So I'm thinking that if Jacoby can bust one (maybe two) big returns against them, that could swing the odds in our favor and definitely take their crowd out of the game.

Marciano's boys could swing this game for us.[/QUOTE

Our run game isnt weak. Its not as strong as our pass game, but how many teams have had a 100 yd rusher vs the Titans? Im betting 1 or maybe 2. We also dont turn the ball over with our run game, they fumble and throw picks. I give us a slight advantage in O, a little weaker on D, and Special teams is absolutly no contest.

El Tejano
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
You know everyone laughed at Marshall when he picked the Rams to upset the Cowboys, but there he was Sunday night with his Joker smile.

beerlover
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Call me crazy (not everyone at once, thank you) but I think that special teams performance will swing this game.

Marciano's boys could swing this game for us.

both tackles for Minnesota (Kevin & Pat Williams) should dominate the Texans offensive line are active for Sunday (four game suspension not arriving in time for Houston). even their big free agent off season signing FS Madieu Williams might see his first action of the year. then they're coming off a bye week so they've had time to prepare & for Adrian Peterson to get healthy.

I'm just not sure how the Texans can stop the Vikings running game or move the ball against that Defense either running or throwing? Schaub is not going to have alot of time in the pocket to read progressions, so they will have to be patient, short, quick hits, the running game will be physical, cut-back openings key for Slaton. Moates could be the darkhorse in the flats because of his speed on the outside. If all that is managed to the best of the Texans ability you may be right, the game comes down to turnovers & special teams :texflag:

GP
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the best way to get past those two big defensive tackles is to use a lot of no-huddle (get those big fellas gassed) and to lure them into the pass rush while swinging the ball out to Slaton and Moates...a heavy dose of three-step drops, quick slants, curls, bubble screens, and just generally all the high-percentage pass plays that will get complete and keep the clock rolling.

I think if we do that, we can deflate the defensive line and put the thought into their heads that they are not going to eat us up in the middle of the line or around the edges, they're not going to reach Schaub, they are using a lot of energy with little to show for it. That's when you start sneaking in the run plays, taking advantage of the situation.

I've seen times when Kubiak would pass on almost every down on the first possession, and I think it does a lot to the psyche of both teams: For them, it keeps Adrian Peterson off the field a lot AND that means they will be less inclined to run the ball if they have to match our score on each drive, and for us it means that we get all our guys involved and get them spreading the field out to let Slaton make it do what it do, baby.

Will be interesting to see how our guys come out after having 4-straight at Reliant.

Polo
10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't expect AP to have a big DAY...

He's very capable, but I don't think he'll be the deciding factor...

GP
10-31-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't expect AP to have a big...

He's very capable, but I don't think he'll be the deciding factor...

I don't know, man. He can blow up and dominate.

And we're talking about a Richard Smith defense here...

Polo
10-31-2008, 01:24 PM

I guess it's just my blind faith...

BigBull17
10-31-2008, 02:52 PM

That completely shut down Fred Taylor and Jones Drew. Gerrard is alot better of a QB than Ferrote too.

The Pencil Neck
10-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Our run game isnt weak. Its not as strong as our pass game, but how many teams have had a 100 yd rusher vs the Titans? Im betting 1 or maybe 2. We also dont turn the ball over with our run game, they fumble and throw picks. I give us a slight advantage in O, a little weaker on D, and Special teams is absolutly no contest.

ONLY Sleepy Steve Slaton has rushed for more than 100 yards against the Titans this year.

They held Adrian Peterson to 80 yards.

powerfuldragon
10-31-2008, 06:00 PM
i never liked faulk. i think it was his pedosmile what perturbed me at first. it's cool that someone's got faith in the texans.

ObsiWan
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM
i never liked faulk. i think it was his pedosmile what perturbed me at first. it's cool that someone's got faith in the texans.

okay.... I don't usually complain about spelling because I can almost always figure out what folks meant. Not this time.

do you mean "pedo" as in relating to feet
or "pedo" as in relating to children
or did you mean to type "pseudo" as in fake?

....two of those possibilities go down a sick path...

ObsiWan
10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Both Brian Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe picked the Texans to win because of our offense.

I am officially nervous.

Malloy
11-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Both Brian Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe picked the Texans to win because of our offense.

I am officially nervous.

Its easier to be pleasently surprised if one is the underdog

ObsiWan
11-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Malloy,
I just thought they'd go with Adrian Peterson & co. coming off a bye and being at home. Not to mention, they're only one game off their division lead.

And actually, with both of them picking us I'm not really as nervous as if Sharpe alone picked us. Sometimes I wonder what that boy is thinking.

But if we can keep that Viking D-line out of Schaub's face most of the day, and get a short field due to Jacoby returns a time or three, we can beat them.

The Pencil Neck
11-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Faulk was one of the experts who dogged the Texans the worst for taking Mario over Reggie. Even after last year, he was still dogging the Texans for taking Mario. I liked Faulk before that. Now, whatEV.

powerfuldragon
11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
okay.... I don't usually complain about spelling because i can almost always figure out what folks meant. Not this time.

Do you mean "pedo" as in relating to feet
or "pedo" as in relating to children
or did you mean to type "pseudo" as in fake?

....two of those possibilities go down a sick path...

#2.

imatexan
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Other writters are picking the vikings over Texans, not all but the majority.

All this means is we will prove them wrong!

:fans:

Malloy
11-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Malloy,
I just thought they'd go with Adrian Peterson & co. coming off a bye and being at home. Not to mention, they're only one game off their division lead.

And actually, with both of them picking us I'm not really as nervous as if Sharpe alone picked us. Sometimes I wonder what that boy is thinking.

But if we can keep that Viking D-line out of Schaub's face most of the day, and get a short field due to Jacoby returns a time or three, we can beat them.

I agree completely, and hope you are right! :)

Trail.Blazr
11-01-2008, 09:13 PM
It's not a 3-4, we will be able to play good O. If they start getting to our backfield, I give you the bootleg. We will move the ball just as well against them as any team we've played all season, with exception to the Steelers game.

With Dunta back, and seemingly finding his groove, the secondary is sharpening up a bit, which will equate to more pressure on the opposing QB.

Special Teams will Tee up our field position all game long.

The biggest area of concern is the Turnovers. Take Care of the Damn Ball!!

LonerATO
11-02-2008, 12:25 AM
it could be that Marshall has since transferred his love for the oilers to the texans

Hagar
11-02-2008, 11:56 AM
it could be that Marshall has since transferred his love for the oilers to the texans
Howie Long just took the Texans too. Wow!!!