PDA

View Full Version : AJ getting some man-love from Schein

drewmar74
10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Found this "out there" and liked it. Thought y'all might to:

Per Fox Sports talking head Adam Schein's "Schein Nine" weekly list....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8728312/The-Schein-Nine:-Philly's-Reid-underappreciated

3. Andre Johnson

You can write this one in stone. Houston's Andre Johnson is the best receiver in the NFL. I am not even sure it is close.

Factor in anything you want as the criteria — hands, speed, yards after the catch, football savvy, work ethic, character, age. I'm taking Johnson, who enjoyed yet another dominant game with 11 catches and more than 100 receiving yards against the Bengals.

:smiliedance:

Just a little more national love for one of our players that truly, truly deserves it.

Hookem Horns
10-28-2008, 01:50 PM
ESPN was giving him love too. They mentioned that he was the best player in the NFL that no one ever talks about.

eriadoc
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I've told people that for a while. There isn't another WR in the NFL I would take over AJ. There are only a couple I'd put on par with AJ (Boldin comes to mind), but if I had one or the other, I'd keep him.

drewmar74
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Heck, he had more Texan love in there...

7. AFC South

Anyone who doubted the Tennessee Titans doesn't understand football. The better team and more physical team won Monday night. At the midway point, the Titans are the best team in football.

The Colts, Texans and Jaguars are all 3-4. Don't be surprised if the Texans shock the Vikings this weekend.
Here's the simple fact about Jacksonville this year. The Jags are too inconsistent to be a playoff team. You cannot lose at home to Cleveland.

Okay, that's somewhat like damning with faint praise, but at least he's not dismissive.

9. Midway point stars

Here are some other names on very early and fluid lists.

Defensive Player of the Year Albert Haynesworth, London Fletcher, James Harrison, Joey Porter, LaMarr Woodley

Comeback Player of the Year Jake Delhomme, Jon Vilma

Offensive Rookie of the Year Matt Ryan, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Steve Slaton, Joe Flacco

Defensive Rookie of the Year Jarod Mayo, Chris Horton

Coach of the Year Jeff Fisher, Jim Zorn

Wow. Nice to read. :splits:

Mr teX
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
he's definitely up there... i'd say he & reggie wayne are the top 2. Wayne has better hands than AJ (not by much, but better) but AJ is stronger which makes him that physical beast that Wayne isn't.

Honorable mention:

Greg Jennings
Larry Fitzgerald

dalemurphy
10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
he's definitely up there... i'd say he & reggie wayne are the top 2. Wayne has better hands than AJ (not by much, but better) but AJ is stronger which makes him that physical beast that Wayne isn't.

Honorable mention:

Greg Jennings
Larry Fitzgerald

I've made a number of posts about AJ tendency to not want to take over the game. The Tennessee game was the ultimate example of his unassuming attitude... Instead of going and getting that bomb in the end zone. He laid back and waited for it... Instead, it was broken up in front of him.

I think that, combined with his effort in the Miami game on the 4th down play, was the turning point in his career. Now, he realizes that every big moment, every ball in the air, is his. And, nobody is good enough to stop him. He's no longer a very good receiver he's now in the all-time elite status. He's somewhere between Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice- at least for this past month. If I'm right about the change in him, he's going to have a career that makes my comparison to Jerry Rice not seem nearly as crazy as it does right now.

Not to get to exuberant, but we may have :

Jerry Rice and Reggie White on the same team- if you catch my drift!!

DiapHer
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
ESPN was giving him love too. They mentioned that he was the best player in the NFL that no one ever talks about.

When I chose Andre for one of my WR last year and this year in my FF keeper league that I am in at our local town pool hall they rolled their eyes and laughed at me when I turned my sheets in. Guess who is currently in the top three? :diapher:

hobie
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
When I chose Andre for one of my WR last year and this year in my FF keeper league that I am in at our local town pool hall they rolled their eyes and laughed at me when I turned my sheets in. Guess who is currently in the top three? :diapher:

Well I am glad your WR is putting up good numbers in your league, but my kicker is hanging me out to dry..... Charles Brown...has missed every attempt this season, maybe I need to switch to Kris instead.

:shades:

HOU-TEX
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Well I am glad your WR is putting up good numbers in your league, but my kicker is hanging me out to dry..... Charles Brown...has missed every attempt this season, maybe I need to switch to Kris instead.

You might want to watch the film and keep a close eye on his holder. She....er...he might be the root of the problem. :cool:

Malloy
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Because he's not out there behaving like an ass.

Best player in the NFL, I would probably stick that title to a QB (only because I see the position as more important than WR), but there is no doubt in my mind that he is the best reciever in the NFL, hands down... erhm.. up! :)

DiapHer
10-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Nah, he sucks...I took their advice on not playing him :shades:

hobie
10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

I will stay with Chuck then !!

Mr teX
10-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I've made a number of posts about AJ tendency to not want to take over the game. The Tennessee game was the ultimate example of his unassuming attitude... Instead of going and getting that bomb in the end zone. He laid back and waited for it... Instead, it was broken up in front of him.

I think that, combined with his effort in the Miami game on the 4th down play, was the turning point in his career. Now, he realizes that every big moment, every ball in the air, is his. And, nobody is good enough to stop him. He's no longer a very good receiver he's now in the all-time elite status. He's somewhere between Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice- at least for this past month. If I'm right about the change in him, he's going to have a career that makes my comparison to Jerry Rice not seem nearly as crazy as it does right now.

Not to get to exuberant, but we may have :

Jerry Rice and Reggie White on the same team- if you catch my drift!!

well... i won't go that far & say that....he's gonna have to improve on his TD receptions to even sniff Jerry. Having said that every time i see him catch a ball in space my heart starts pumping b/c i know that he could break a long one..certainly as exciting as jerry but not quite there yet. Jerry's in his own stratosphere in every thing WR related.

Shaft75
10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Ever since I adopted this guy...

GlassHalfFull
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM

Here is a prime example of a hater. Just because we are actually scoring TDs for a change, you have to crap all over Kris.

DiapHer
10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Here is a prime example of a hater. Just because we are actually scoring TDs for a change, you have to crap all over Kris.

:mshadows:

D-Frank
10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
ill say this: a few wr's run better routes than andre, may be a little faster,
may even catch better, but nobody is MORE clutch...or better...may be equal,
but no reciever is BETTER.(this year):whip:

IlliniJen
10-29-2008, 12:10 AM

Honorable mention:

Greg Jennings
Larry Fitzgerald

Hmmm...I don't know about Wayne this year. Maybe the Wayne of years past, but he's obviously having an off-year. I can't believe it's all Payton. I think I'd move Fitz above Wayne. With AJ #1 of course.

leebigeztx
10-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Adam is my man from nfl radio as I duubbed him "plug". He's actually been talking about aandre for a couple of yrs. Andre has been going off lately, but I think Mos is the best wr in the game. He's the most feared offensive player in football and can make the case about being the most feared in history. Anytime you're the common thread of the 2 hghest scoring teams in the history of the nfl, that's saying a lot. You can put him on any team and every defense will roll coverage to him.

BigBull17
10-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Hmmm...I don't know about Wayne this year. Maybe the Wayne of years past, but he's obviously having an off-year. I can't believe it's all Payton. I think I'd move Fitz above Wayne. With AJ #1 of course.

Reggie Wayne is good and all, but he's more of a system guy. He wouldnt be as good on a different team, were as AJ would be a Hall of Famer in a Colts uni.

Scooter
10-29-2008, 08:44 AM
jerry rice is the single best player at any position. andre johnson would be in jerry rice territory with peyton throwing to him. not to take away from harrison and wayne who are studs in their own right, but when carr and an experienced rookie are calling the shots, and you're still the best in the league ... you're doing something right. dre didnt have cullpepper and brady, no peyton, no romo and steve young. dre's made every catch in the book, including being upside down in the endzone, standing on the db, through a cb's helmet, and he wont ever alligator the "this going to hurt" medium post.

andre's one of the fastest players in football (though as a bigger receiver it takes him an extra step to hit top speed, his top speed is better than anyone's), pound for pound maybe the strongest player, the bravest #1 (and i love me some hines ward but hines plays the angles while dre BULLRUSHES through the play), and when given the chance AJ's going to take over a game 9 out of 10 times. there's no homer in my decision in the least, i'd take andre over any receiver not named rice in the last 20 years.

i've teased that he's the worst speaker ever, but that's also one of his plus sides. dre's in a league of his own as far as good guys go, and seeing him bland his way through a rome interview (big ups to rome, he has a fondness for quality folks) is bliss because he's got no problem jawing the db's who think their love taps will stop him from running all over them. there are too many good things about andre johnson to put into words, he's one of a kind and i hope he's always a texan.

mattieuk
10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Reggie Wayne is good and all, but he's more of a system guy. He wouldnt be as good on a different team, were as AJ would be a Hall of Famer in a Colts uni.

Give it 6/7 more years as a Texan, a ring or two, and he'll be our first HoF-er in a Texans uniform.

Porky
10-29-2008, 09:42 AM
And to top it all off, I think Andre is under-rated as a blocker in the running game. He takes NO plays off.

HOU-TEX
10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
And to top it all off, I think Andre is under-rated as a blocker in the running game. He takes NO plays off.

All our WR's block really well. I think they'd face the wrath of Gibbs if they didn't. Kubiak stated the other day that the WR's spend alot of time going over blocking with Gibbs in the meeting room. KW's probably the better of the bunch at blocking. He's always the one out there on the WR screens blocking his arse off for the Dre's.

:texflag: