PDA

View Full Version : Early Line: Vikings by 4.5 over Houston

MojoMan
10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
With three wins in a row, many Texan's fans are now expecting more of the same in the weeks ahead. However, the book makers do not appear to be nearly so optimistic, as they have the Vikings favored by 4.5 points.

http://covers.usatoday.com/data/odds.aspx

All three of the Texans wins have come against bad football teams and were achieved at home. Now the Texans must play on the road against a team that is not widely regarded as a joke. However, the Vikings may have their two starting DT's on the bench, which could weaken their otherwise stout rushing defense (#2 in the NFL).

What do you think? Will the Texans win on the road in Minnesota? Or is this the end of the manic climb before the depressive fall begins once again?

stingray
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
If the defense shows up, then I think they can win, but If A.D. runs wild, It will probably be a long day.

TEXANS84
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
However, the Vikings may have their two starting DT's on the bench, which could weaken their otherwise stout rushing defense (#2 in the NFL).

Doubtful that would happen. I'm sure players would appeal which would delay the suspension for a couple of weeks.

The Texans are a weak road team. Always have been. I think the spread is somewhat fair considering both records and differences in defenses/offenses.

Thorn
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I think we are looking at 4-4 after Sunday. We've shown we can stop the run if need be, just not the run and pass at the same time from a strong team. This isn't going to be a slam dunk for either team.

Hardcore Texan
10-28-2008, 11:30 AM
We are going to win! Our offense is going to play great and our D is going to come out focused on stopping the run. Dunta gets a pick 6 when Gus tries to beat us with his arm. :tiphat:

That's how I dreamed it last night.

disaacks3
10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Doubtful that would happen. I'm sure players would appeal which would delay the suspension for a couple of weeks.

The Texans are a weak road team. Always have been. I think the spread is somewhat fair considering both records and differences in defenses/offenses. It depends... If they think they're going to lose the appeal, but think they can beat the Texans WITHOUT these guys, then they may elect this game to be the one to sit out. (As opposed to some game against "stiffer competition" where their absence would be more sorely missed.)

Texans_Chick
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM

The Texans are a weak road team. Always have been. I think the spread is somewhat fair considering both records and differences in defenses/offenses.

ESPN crawl said that they were expected to be playing the Texans.

Blake
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Unless we have a good defensive game plan Minn will cover.

And with Richard Smith doing the game plan it doesn't look good.

ChampionTexan
10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
It depends... If they think they're going to lose the appeal, but think they can beat the Texans WITHOUT these guys, then they may elect this game to be the one to sit out. (As opposed to some game against "stiffer competition" where their absence would be more sorely missed.)

I believe any suspension that occurs will be for four games.

Hardcore Texan
10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Okay, how about this. We will win because we will go for it on every 4th down because we won't have a long snapper to snap the ball for punts or field goals.

Xetuoh1836
10-28-2008, 11:51 AM
During Brad Childress era, the Vikes are 10-9 at home and 2-1 this year. Of course, the Texan are 0-3 on the road this year and have a terrible away record since 2002.

This year, the home teams in the NFL are on a clip to win 63.5% of the time. That's second best since 1985, when the home teams won 64.3% of the time.

I think the line reflects these realities but, I feel the Texans will make Childress's record 10-10 after Sundays game in their house!

:texflag:

TexanSam
10-28-2008, 11:53 AM
We've been awful on the road since our existence. Kubiak hasn't really changed that. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, but the Texans have to prove to me that they can win big games away from Reliant Stadium.

gtexan02
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm about 95% positive we'll win this game

ATRAIN
10-28-2008, 11:59 AM

im about 90% positive :). What is Minn ranked as far as total off.? Other than AD they dont have any off. weapons. Texans by 14.

Mailman
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
We've been awful on the road since our existence. Kubiak hasn't really changed that. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, but the Texans have to prove to me that they can win big games away from Reliant Stadium.

Wut he sed

MojoMan
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
im about 90% positive :). What is Minn ranked as far as total off.? Other than AD they dont have any off. weapons. Texans by 14.

The Vikings are ranked #8 in the NFL in rush offense and #12 in total offense:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

The Vikings are a competitive football team. The Texans will be doing very well to come out with a win.

Mailman
10-28-2008, 12:08 PM

I'm about 95% positive we'll win this game if Schaub protects the football.

Mari-OWNED!
10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Texans are going to the Super Bowl!

BigBull17
10-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Depends if Childress loses his damn mind and keeps punting to good return men. We may get a few special teams points.

ATRAIN
10-28-2008, 12:21 PM

The Vikings are a competitive football team. The Texans will be doing very well to come out with a win.

If they let Chicago put up 48, I think our off is better than Chicago's. We should win this.

Ole Miss Texan
10-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Here's an interesting stat I'm going to throw out there...

Games when Peterson has scored a Touchdown, the Vikings are 0-3.
Games when Peterson has NOT scored a Touchdown, the Vikings are 3-1.

HOU-TEX
10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Here's an interesting stat I'm going to throw out there...

Games when Peterson has scored a Touchdown, the Vikings are 0-3.
Games when Peterson has NOT scored a Touchdown, the Vikings are 3-1.

That's kinda weird. :thinking:

gtexan02
10-28-2008, 12:34 PM
If I HAD to bet $1,000, I would bet on the Texans. I feel like they've got confidence after this 3 week stretch,a nd that counts for something

HOU-TEX
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
If I HAD to bet $1,000, I would bet on the Texans. I feel like they've got confidence after this 3 week stretch,a nd that counts for something

If I were to ever bet on a game, I would never bet on a Texans game. In their existence they've been about as consistent as a baby's bowel movement.

disaacks3
10-28-2008, 12:47 PM

For contrast..

Scoring Offense (All-NFL)
Texans - 11th - 25 PPG
Vikings - 19th - 22 PPG

Scoring Defense (All-NFL)
Texans - 24th - 26.4 PPG
Vikings - 18th - 23.9 PPG

This one ought to be close either way.

ATRAIN
10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
For contrast..

Scoring Offense (All-NFL)
Texans - 11th - 25 PPG
Vikings - 19th - 22 PPG

Scoring Defense (All-NFL)
Texans - 24th - 26.4 PPG
Vikings - 18th - 23.9 PPG

This one ought to be close either way.

Good comparisons thanks

b0ng
10-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I think that this game wil come down to who has thr ball last and who the refs like more. I thin 4.5 is too high of a spread and this game could end up being a 27-28 affair.

Texan_Bill
10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I voted yes, but not for the reason given.

I'm of the opinion that you are what your record says you are. However, I don't beleive that Minnesota is any great shakes either. Their 'big' edge is supposed to be their rushing game. While its ranked 8th, the Texans in comparison are ranked 11th, so not a huge edge. In 7 games they have rushed for 899 yards, while the Texans have rushed for 829 yards.

DBCooper
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
If I was the Vikings I would run the ball straight down the soft underbelly of the Richard Smith "Stay-puff" defense.

Maybe, as this marshmallow hardens over time, we will prove we can stop the run.

At least we know what they will try to do.

I do feel better about Dunta Robinson getting some reps under his belt.

powerfuldragon
10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
i wish i could be optimistic. if we win this one, my optimism will probably be so pronounced it'll be annoying.

TheRealJoker
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Playing on the road against that DL who will be fresh because of AP and their OL controlling TOP is a tough affair.

Our passing game runs off of playaction, if we cant run on those 2 mammoths in the middle we're in for a long day unless Schaub can throw some prayers up and our WRs can come down with big plays in spurts like the Colts did against them early in the season.

HOU-TEX
10-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Playing on the road against that DL who will be fresh because of AP and their OL controlling TOP is a tough affair.

Our passing game runs off of playaction, if we cant run on those 2 mammoths in the middle we're in for a long day unless Schaub can throw some prayers up and our WRs can come down with big plays in spurts like the Colts did against them early in the season.

They're coming off their bye week too. So their whole team will be fresh. :gun:

I hate to say it, but we need Ahman for this game in order to pound a little. To me, Slaton isn't much of a pounder. Sure, he's slobber-knocked a few here and there, but not on an every down basis.

Ahman, if you're listening, put the damn purse back in the closet and get your ass on the field. :shades:

gtexan02
10-28-2008, 02:43 PM
The main problem with the Vikes is that we match up against them really, really poorly.

They have a dominant OL, so what little pash rush we have is neutralized.
They have a speedy running back, which we always do poorly against.
They have a speedy WR, which we also do poorly against

And they have a physical run defense

beerlover
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
call me superstitious :spy: but I must refrain from all bets/hedges/predictions :voodoo:

Silver Oak
10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
who the hell are the 6% who voted for Minny to win?

MojoMan
10-28-2008, 03:40 PM
who the hell are the 6% who voted for Minny to win?

Click on one of the numbers of votes in the poll totals and you will see.

DBCooper
10-28-2008, 03:48 PM
They're coming off their bye week too. So their whole team will be fresh. :gun:

I hate to say it, but we need Ahman for this game in order to pound a little. To me, Slaton isn't much of a pounder. Sure, he's slobber-knocked a few here and there, but not on an every down basis.

Ahman, if you're listening, put the damn purse back in the closet and get your ass on the field. :shades:

Funny.

My word for the day is "slobber-knocker".

gtexan02
10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Funny.

My word for the day is "slobber-knocker".

Insert slobbery knockers joke here

edo783
10-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Looks like Vegas sees it as pretty much an even game. 3 points go to the home team, so 1.5 points.

TxDavid
10-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I drinkin' the kool-aid.....

Texans will win and keep the streak alive......Don't look Ethel!!!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/603/51pulqsz4ilsl500aa280ed1.jpg

Norg
10-29-2008, 12:16 AM
my goodness this is MInn we are play like 3rd in there divison

its not like we are playing Philly in Philly or like Denver at mile high

THis is just Minn LOL

OzzO
10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Yes - but only if the Texans don't spot them a couple of scores before they start playing as they were prone to do in a few games this season. Come out after warm ups ready to knock someone out after that coin is flipped.

TheRealJoker
10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
We have to get up on Minnesota early. If they get a lead or keep it close they will run All Day all day and the Schaub to AJ connections will be few and far between.

threetoedpete
10-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Well I keep flashing back to the Atlanta game...remember ? Coming off a little two game winning streak. Atlanta's down with the "how much is that doggie in the window' ...remember NO Vick ? and what happened....? They went on the road and Grady Jackson had the best game of his Career and just shredded the inside of the Texan's o-line. Now if we wake up Sunday morning and we find out one or both of the Vikings DTs are out...we got a chance. The Williams hillbilly's, Shawn Rodgers, Hederson, and Haynesworth. We're going to find out about the Texans o-line in the next few games. They're all big and they all are playing very well right now. Rodgers was a beast vs the Jags last weekend. I hope they win. Don't bet the farm on it though.

mattieuk
10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
They have the 17th best passing offense in the league. I say we make them use it. Clog up their game on the ground, own the line of scrimmage, and do not give them easy runs around midfield and in their own half, and making them go to the air instead. We've got to be aware they can bust out a big one at any time, but we've been doing well all season, and as long as we aren't handing them 30 yard plays on the floor all day, I don't think their offense will be moving a great deal. AP has been rushing 84.2 YPG over the last 4 games, if we keep him to that, I think we'll win this game. It will take a big effort, but I think with the confidence, we're going to be seeing a solid run D on Sunday, with DRob looking better every week.

As for the offense, we've gotta be as pass happy as possible. We aren't going to get much out of their D, especially if the Williamses are in, so apart from looking to get Slaton a few runs to the outside, we aren't going to see too much on the ground. They've been giving up 219.4 yards a game, I think Schaub can hit 300 again this week. Orton threw for 283 last time out against them and Brees totalled 330 yards in two of their last 3 games. Our receivers are buzzing, our QB is looking sharp, they've only had 4 picks all season. I see a big day for Schaub and Daniels, and indeed the Texans.

Just an interesting note, the Vikings last 5 games has seen Berrian leading their receiving yards, with most of his yards, and TD's coming in the 3rd and 4th quarters, we need to keep our eyes on his, he is Frerotte's go-to guy, and is a key part of their pass game.

If we don't go into this game with a big of a swagger, and desire to make this a playoff season after the last 3 games, I don't know what we have to do to get it. Heres to 4-4.

:texflag:

Polo
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
I think the Texans come out focused and play a good all around game...