PDA

View Full Version : Safety questions?

gtexan02
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Last year CC Brown and Will Demps were starting to gel into a pretty decent safety tandem. Demps even got a nod as a pro-bowl alternate.

This year, neither of them have done anything.

Wilson is looking like a major steal. He is the 2008 version of Will Demps it seems, except without the cast (so he can actually intercept the ball).

Anyone know whats up with our safeties from lalst year?

Texan JBZ
10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
I barely even saw Demps playing today. Ferguson and Wilson were in the game a lot today. I did see Demps on special teams though. I don't know what the hell is going on with guys like Demps and Bennett to land them on the bench. It's puzzling to say the least.

Goldensilence
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I barely even saw Demps playing today. Ferguson and Wilson were in the game a lot today. I did see Demps on special teams though. I don't know what the hell is going on with guys like Demps and Bennett to land them on the bench. It's puzzling to say the least.

Might be scary but perhaps the staff is starting to buy into the idea of getting the your best players out on the field even if it seems unconventional or not dictated by salary.

Mailman
10-26-2008, 09:45 PM
(on his decision to start FS Nick Ferguson) “Well, I mean it’s nothing really against (FS) Will’s (Demps) play. I wouldn’t say that. You know, we’re looking defensively for an identity from a standpoint of we’ve been making too many mistakes, and handling situations the right way and being sound in some situations. Nick has played a lot of football, and really it was just a gut from our standpoint. He has been working hard. We like what Eugene (Wilson) did when we gave him a chance. They both have played a lot of ball, so we thought we’d team them up together, especially in nickel, and our communication was very, very good. Will went and played special teams, and he’s a pro. We’re just going to continue to give guys opportunities, trying to get better as a football team, and those guys stood up today and played well.”

(on CB Eugene Wilson) “He’s rubbing off on our players. He’s very smart. He’s been in more big games than anybody we’ve had waltz in our locker room. He handles situations well. He’s got a lot of confidence. He’s cheating in situations where he recognizes a formation or a tendency. That’s how he makes plays. It’s taken some time for us to get comfortable with him, you know. He walked in my office last Tuesday, I think, and said, ‘Can I come see you?’ I said, ‘Sure.’ He said, ‘Coach, I can make some plays for you.’ I said, ‘Well, I know. You’re fixing to get a chance to do that this week.’ And he did.”

http://houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4797

Texan JBZ
10-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Might be scary but perhaps the staff is starting to buy into the idea of getting the your best players out on the field even if it seems unconventional or not dictated by salary.

Are you saying that Faggins should be playing ahead of Bennett? Please say no!

Goldensilence
10-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Are you saying that Faggins should be playing ahead of Bennett? Please say no!

I'm not but evidently the staff thinks so right now. This statement was more in regards to the safety position. Now if they could correlate that to Weaver...

DocBar
10-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Might be scary but perhaps the staff is starting to buy into the idea of getting the your best players out on the field even if it seems unconventional or not dictated by salary. The stats prove out that Bennett is better than Faggins, so I'm not sure about that one. Oppossing tems throwing against Bennett last year fared worse against Bennett than any othe DB since DRob came into the league.

mexican_texan
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Ferguson got to play for the same reason Kevin Walter got to play: he played his ass off on special teams. It's also the reason Molden isn't playing; he's slacking on special teams.

Goldensilence
10-26-2008, 10:57 PM
The stats prove out that Bennett is better than Faggins, so I'm not sure about that one. Oppossing tems throwing against Bennett last year fared worse against Bennett than any othe DB since DRob came into the league.

Again this was in response to the safety situation and perhaps you should tell that to Richard Smith.

As we should all get by now what happens last year doesn't always dictate what happens this year.

Texan JBZ
10-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Ferguson got to play for the same reason Kevin Walter got to play: he played his ass off on special teams. It's also the reason Molden isn't playing; he's slacking on special teams.

You're joking, right? Molden is the best special teamer on the Texans.

New_Texans
10-26-2008, 11:14 PM

What? Hes not playing because he probably isn't ready yet. His ST has been great.

mexican_texan
10-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Not what I've seen.

DexmanC
10-27-2008, 03:07 AM
Not what I've seen.

Well, maybe you should listen to Jacoby Jones' interview from the
Miami game. He gets props for one of the blocks that sprung him free.
Maybe you should replay the Matt Turk kicks from last week. It was
Andre Davis and MOLDEN pinning the ball in side the 1-yard line TWICE.

Maybe you should replay the first two Bengals special teams possessions
in Sunday's game. He made two EXCELLENT tackles as the first man downfield.

Molden has been outstanding in special teams. Though it is tough to convince
a blind man of that.

Allstar
10-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Well, maybe you should listen to Jacoby Jones' interview from the
Miami game. He gets props for one of the blocks that sprung him free.
Maybe you should replay the Matt Turk kicks from last week. It was
Andre Davis and MOLDEN pinning the ball in side the 1-yard line TWICE.

Maybe you should replay the first two Bengals special teams possessions
in Sunday's game. He made two EXCELLENT tackles as the first man downfield.

Molden has been outstanding in special teams. Though it is tough to convince
a blind man of that.

Agreed. Molden has easily stuck out as our best special teams player. He's even on the probowl ballot for ST at nfl.com

DiehardChris
10-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Agreed. Molden has easily stuck out as our best special teams player. He's even on the probowl ballot for ST at nfl.com

I think Kevin Bentley would have a little something to say about that.

threetoedpete
10-27-2008, 03:54 AM
One thing you've got to understand...they've got to find out what they are going to do with some of these guys for next off season. I mean you can believe what you want about the Brown/Salaam rotation.., but they had to knock the rust off of Salaam and they have to make a decision on him for next year. He had a pan cake on the Slaton TD run....I'd say Effarin is OK ?

They have a herd of safeties....young CBs....some are going to stay and some body's got to go. The thing I like about Kubes and the front office, they do not stay stagnate with the roster. Trading deadline is over....they are looking people up. They are pro active.

mexican_texan
10-27-2008, 06:15 AM
I think Kevin Bentley would have a little something to say about that.
There's a lot of guys who'd say something. Cecil Sapp, Andre Davis, Nick Ferguson, Leach. It's not as evident on TV, but when I was at the Dolphins game, he would slow down to look for the ball or change direction and the play would pass him by. There were times he could've got the Dolphins' return man behind the 20 and instead prepared himself to chase.

BigBull17
10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Wilson is the only REAL Free SAfty on our roster, and its amazing how much different it looked with one out there. He made two plays that with our other guys out there would have been a TD and a big gain into incomplete and a turnover.

Twitch-Houston
10-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Wilson is the only REAL Free SAfty on our roster, and its amazing how much different it looked with one out there. He made two plays that with our other guys out there would have been a TD and a big gain into incomplete and a turnover.

I agree, Wilson has looked great. Notice he protected the ball after his interception yesterday...ha ha

BigBull17
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree, Wilson has looked great. Notice he protected the ball after his interception yesterday...ha ha

Too bad Demps will have a "great week of practice" and be out there to blow coverage again.

alphajoker
10-27-2008, 11:20 AM

I don't know about that...I think Molden has been playing very well on special teams. He is usually one of the first players down the field and has made some solid open field tackles. He even helped down a punt within the opponents 5 yd. line last week.

alphajoker
10-27-2008, 11:23 AM

LOL, I noticed the same thing...I actually kept saying to myself, "just hold onto the ball, just hold onto the ball" as he was running the INT back.

Twitch-Houston
10-27-2008, 12:05 PM
LOL, I noticed the same thing...I actually kept saying to myself, "just hold onto the ball, just hold onto the ball" as he was running the INT back.

I hear ya....I was in bed sick watching the game and one of the few times I got vocal was when he intercepted and I was shouting..."hold the ball!" The other time I mustered the strength to yell was JJ's punt return.

Spike
10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
You hope to see more of Dunta and Wilson in the backfield as the games progress. Both of these guys just bring an intangible to the backfield. It seems to me that Reeves is just a turn of a head away from being a good DB. I would also like to see more of Moulden...

leebigeztx
10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I said from the outset Wilson was better than any safety on this roster. Reason is, he's a matchuup guy. He was a cb in college and those are the knda safeties u need now dayys because of the y-flex te and westbrook type of backs. Look at griffin, godfrey,tenard jackson.reed, polamalu,whitner are examples of safeties whocan cover and tackle. The days of atwater and the in the box guys are dead. All the goood tams wil isolate guys like that with te's and cause touble to r dfense. Wilson played n a difficult scheme on a superbowl squad.

AnthonyE
10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't know about that...I think Molden has been playing very well on special teams. He is usually one of the first players down the field and has made some solid open field tackles. He even helped down a punt within the opponents 5 yd. line last week.

Yeah, he stopped a kickoff return before the returner got to the 20 this past week at the beginning of the game, too.

BigBull17
10-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I said from the outset Wilson was better than any safety on this roster. Reason is, he's a matchuup guy. He was a cb in college and those are the knda safeties u need now dayys because of the y-flex te and westbrook type of backs. Look at griffin, godfrey,tenard jackson.reed, polamalu,whitner are examples of safeties whocan cover and tackle. The days of atwater and the in the box guys are dead. All the goood tams wil isolate guys like that with te's and cause touble to r dfense. Wilson played n a difficult scheme on a superbowl squad.

Couldnt agree more. You need a center fielder, not two more Lb's. Maybe we'll stop using stiffs and keep a play maker out there. Demps should only play FS if they are inside the 5 yrd line. Id rather my FS be a liability in the run than in the pass.

mexican_texan
10-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, he stopped a kickoff return before the returner got to the 20 this past week at the beginning of the game, too.
I rewatched the game and I rescind my statements. He's getting better at special teams, although I don't recall seeing him as a key blocker in Jacoby's TD return. Big props to Fred Bennett and Cecil Sapp though.

TheRealJoker
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I think its a great idea to have 2 veterans like Ferguson and Wilson get the bulk of the playing time at safety. Our defense's average age is something like 25 years old. We have the youngest unit in the NFL along with a terrible DC.

It couldn't hurt our defense to sacrifice some youth in the backend for experience, it'll only help. Mario even mentioned the communication was the best it had been all season on defense. Who here thinks this was because we had 2 veterans that have experience on winning teams and successful defenses playing safety? I certainly do.

Hervoyel
10-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Our secondary has been lacking veteran leadership and experience since Aaron Glenn left town all bent out of shape because they gave his job to Buchanon. If these guys can play then let them play. The Texans are always screwing the pooch when it comes to making decisions based on players age, speed, body type, or salary. It's been their M.O. for most of the teams existence. They let football players go and fill their spots with "physical specimens" who run fast or who have prototypical bodies but who can't make plays. The best defense we ever had was the first one we ever had. That says something. We drafted a defense in the expansion draft and then began upgrading it with lesser talent one year later.

Since Kubiak got here the team has been reversing this trend (though with Mario I was worried at first that we'd done it again) and if this is a sign that we're ready to start playing the "players" and benching or cutting the dead weight then it's a sign I've been waiting to see for a long time.

Malloy
10-28-2008, 09:24 AM

I was shouting 'GET DOWN DAMNIT'. Glad he did'nt :)

leebigeztx
10-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm not a big fan of ferguson, but he's played well. I thought the should have signed wilson as a free agent. I just think this is a pas to setup the run league now I mean the in the box safety is cool when there is a fullback in the game, If there isn't a fb and the team has 3 wr ad a y-flex te, ur safety better be a coveage guy. Essentially its like a 4wrset but a team like cleveland has a power back like lewis, then u don't want cbs all of the field. That safety should be able to handle the te and all u have to do is bring in 1 extra cb. If u don't have those kinda guys, then they split winslow, clark or gates type of guys with 3wr and lewis and it stretches the defense thin.

J-Russ
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM

I stop reading the thread after this post, just to make a comment on this. This comment couldn't be ANY further from the truth... I really hope you were just kidding.

Ok, back to the topic. If anyone hasn;t mentioned it yet, Wilson and Ferguson started in place of Demps and Harrison. Don't know whats wrong with Demps, IMO he was playing excellent in the last couple of weeks. Wilson was the guy I wanted at FS when we first signed him. I felt he could be this year Will Demps/Andre Davis. If he play up to the level I think he could, then you can go ahead and cross off FS for this off-season needs list.

mexican_texan
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I stop reading the thread after this post, just to make a comment on this. This comment couldn't be ANY further from the truth... I really hope you were just kidding.

Ok, back to the topic. If anyone hasn;t mentioned it yet, Wilson and Ferguson started in place of Demps and Harrison. Don't know whats wrong with Demps, IMO he was playing excellent in the last couple of weeks. Wilson was the guy I wanted at FS when we first signed him. I felt he could be this year Will Demps/Andre Davis. If he play up to the level I think he could, then you can go ahead and cross off FS for this off-season needs list.
If you kept reading, I rescinded my comments.

b0ng
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Eh, I wouldn't mind a high pick spent on a safety, maybe like a second or a fourth. The Texans seem to be money in these rounds of the draft.

J-Russ
10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
If you kept reading, I rescinded my comments.

my mistake then. I was just alittle taken back by the comment.

J-Russ
10-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Eh, I wouldn't mind a high pick spent on a safety, maybe like a second or a fourth. The Texans seem to be money in these rounds of the draft.

It's just not as big as a need as the DE or G/C position, IMO. I wouldn't mind drafting a SS in the 3rd or 4th since it seem like Demps(nor Harrison) is the answer to the other safety spot, and also since Ferguson is getting alittle over the hill. Pretty much we don't have any clear cut starter at SS(we have solid players that can fill in though), so I guess you can count that as a need although I wouldn't touch on it til we fill the other holes first.