PDA

View Full Version : Is our season "toast" if we lose this game?

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Something to think about. It's the same question that the mighty Colts are asking going into this next game. I got this from a Colts article (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081024/SPORTS03/810240392/1058/SPORTS03). But it's very applicable and sobering to OUR situation..............especially, since we have already lost once to each of our AFC South brethren............and we're only thinking of "making it into the playoffs." :

Then again, here's why you don't want to start 3-4

Of the 168 teams to reach the conference finals in the Super Bowl era, only seven started the season 3-4. And only one of those lost its next game: the 1996 Jaguars, who actually lost their next two and three of four to start 4-7, and still somehow found their way to the AFC title game.

Moral of the story, that anomaly aside? If you start 3-4, you had better start winning in a hurry. See here.

Teams that started 3-4 or worse and reached a conference title game:

Team Year Start Then Finish Playoffs
Steelers 1976 3-4 Won 7 straight 10-4 Lost in AFC title game
Vikings 1987 3-4 Won 4 straight 8-7 Lost in NFC title game
Steelers 1995 3-4 Won 8 straight 11-5 Lost in Super Bowl
Jaguars 1996 3-4 Lost 2, and 3 of 4 9-7 Lost in AFC title game
Bucs 1999 3-4 Won 6 straight 11-5 Lost in NFC title game
Patriots 2001 3-4 Won 2 straight 11-5 Won Super Bowl
Titans 2002 3-4 Won 3 straight 11-5 Lost in AFC title game

Teams that started 3-4 or worse since '02 realignment and reached playoffs

Team Year Start Then Finish Playoffs
Jets 2002 2-5 Won 4 straight 9-7 Lost divisional game
Titans 2002 3-4 Won 3 straight 11-5 Lost in AFC title game
Browns 2002 3-4 Won 1, then lost 9-7 Lost wild-card game
Giants 2002 3-4 Won 3 straight 10-6 Lost wild-card game
Packers 2003 3-4 Won 1, then lost 10-6 Lost divisional game
Packers 2004 3-4 Won 4 straight 10-6 Lost wild-card game

txchick1971
10-24-2008, 10:52 AM
with jelly to be exact.....jk, but really can we recover from that?

Thorn
10-24-2008, 10:58 AM
If we lose to the Bungles this weekend, this season is over. Doesn't mean I'll quit watching them, but at that point I'd quit expecting anything out of them.

nero THE zero
10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Not technically. But, practically, yes.

You figure you need 9-10 wins to get in. We have 10 games left with only 2 wins. That means we'd need to go 7-3 at the least to have a shot. Considering the disparity in our home play versus road play (with 5 road games left,) I'd say a home game versus a winless team is a must win.

OzzO
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, yeah it's toast already I would think...

but if there's a loss this week, I'm hope there's some burning of butts afterwards.

10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
yes

DiehardChris
10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Until we prove we can be anything resembling a team that can win a road game, we're not going anywhere. Beating the Lions and Bengals means nothing. If they beat Cincy then pull the upset in Minnesota - that will go a long way. The Texans are a horrible, awful road team.

Double Barrel
10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
The playoffs is the last thing on my mind right now.

We still have to win three in a row for the first time in franchise history. Sunday is our next chance to accomplish this task, and against an 0-7 team in our stadium, I'm not sure what else would be required to set it up better for us.

And beyond that, we still have to establish our first winning season in franchise history. I just cannot believe in a playoff run for this team until they can learn how to walk first. Right now we are in year 7 of baby steps.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM

We still have to win three in a row for the first time in franchise history. Sunday is our next chance to accomplish this task, and against an 0-7 team in our stadium, I'm not sure what else would be required to set it up better for us.

And beyond that, we still have to establish our first winning season in franchise history. I just cannot believe in a playoff run for this team until they can learn how to walk first. Right now we are in year 7 of baby steps.

Let's just hope that after the past 4 weeks, we've learned how to finish.

And let's hope that we remember to start like we did against the Lions.

beerlover
10-24-2008, 01:27 PM

so right :)

spurstexanstros
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Operation .500 would be hard to achieve if we loose this week and the season depnds on the Texans being as close to .500 as possible.

Runner
10-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I think a loss to the Bengals would mean one of three things to the majority of posters here. I would fall into category one.

1) It would mean the Texans aren't going anywhere this season and there are serious concerns for the team's direction.
2) Mediocre is good enough.
3) It would be further proof the Texans are constantly improving and on the cusp of being dominant.

It all depends on the point of view.

Tedc
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM
You know the old saying....... "On any given Sunday, the Texans have a shot at beating a team they are supposed to beat."

cuppacoffee
10-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Agreed.

If this team cannot beat the Bengals this week then we have accomplished nooothinnng.

I have no faith that we will win. That is how jaded I have become about our Texans.

We blew a 21 point lead at home to the Lions and had to hold on by our fingernails to salvage a win at home. :thud:

Pathetic display despite the quick start.

I don't have the ability to record and rewatch the game, but my initial impression (opinion) was that in the second half our O went into a shell and the D was all but non-existant, again.

I have lost all faith in the ability of both of our coordinators to make in game adjustments.:stooges:

Kubiak is trying to build a team and at the same time train coaches to be coordinators. It doesn't appear that he is being too successful at the later.

Despite the stats (which here in the past have been proven to be misleading) Matt Schaub is not the answer. He is a turnover machine that cannot lift his level of play to overcome his turnovers.

AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts. Before throwing stats at me, name a game on the line, where AJ or Mario stepped it up.

I'm soooooo tired of waiting...:foottap:

:coffee:

cuppacoffee
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
You know the old saying....... "On any given Sunday, the Texans have a shot at beating a team they are supposed to beat."

Exactly...with an equal possibility/probability of losing the same game.

Sorry gang...my pessimism has won.

Wolf6151
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
We're already toast.

JCTexan
10-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Agreed.

If this team cannot beat the Bengals this week then we have accomplished nooothinnng.

We blew a 21 point lead at home to the Lions and had to hold on by our fingernails to salvage a win at home. :thud:

I agree. If we lose this week we have no shot at the playoffs.

We didn't blow a lead. The Lions would have actually had to have tied it for us to have blown a lead. They didn't since we were up 28-10 at one point. The Colts game was blowing a lead.

AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts. Before throwing stats at me, name a game on the line, where AJ or Mario stepped it up.

I'm soooooo tired of waiting...:foottap:

Didn't AJ catch a pass to put us in FG position against the Jags? And what about that catch he had against the Dolphins? If that's not stepping it up I don't know what is.

badboy
10-24-2008, 02:49 PM
The win loss record is what I had expected, it just bothers me how the team has given away Ws . This year for me was about solidifying the team and gettig the new offense going. The receiving game is where I hoped it would be and both Slaton and Brown have fulfilled my expectations and then some. I expect Houston to crush Bengals and show a "finisher's" attitude not seen last week. I want JJ to have a great game and hug momma again. Maybe twice. I want to see at least four sacks for our D line and to have some huge knock downs by the dbacks maybe an INT or two. It's time for Richard Smith to convince fans he is the guy.

I am so confident of a lopsided score, I have accepted an invitation to go for a sail Sunday after church and not watch the game. First one I've missed since Texans started.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
If the Texans lose to the Bengals this Sunday, the Texans have made arrangements for a bodyguard to walk the coaches to the tunnel.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/Larry_Kuechlin/funny-pictures-chippy-the-attack-go.jpg

The quality, of course, is reflected by the present economy..........and the level of true committment to protect the staff.

False Start
10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Maybe not toast but more like a burnt pop-tart, even though its ruined it still has some potential.

imatexan
10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Like the all the greats before us have said:

"A win is a win"

awtysst
10-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Sigh.
I did not think i would have to pull this out so early, but here we go.

http://www.firstandsecondcityguys.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/JimMora.jpg

What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

Hervoyel
10-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I think if we're talking about a playoff spot then our season has been toast since the first week at Pittsburgh. We learned very quickly that we didn't have the defense to hang with anyone heading for the post season and nothing has changed in the weeks that followed. Whether we beat Cincinnati or not we'll still give them almost 400 yards of offense and probably around 28 points. We have no business thinking about the playoffs.

I'm not even a little bit upset by that though. I was very much hoping that the Texans would step up but since they haven't (on that side of the ball) I'm just taking the year one game at a time and just taking solace in the fact that our offense is maybe a few games away from being something awesome to behold. They just need more reps to work the mistakes out and get truly efficient and I hate to think that we'll probably be playing our best football after we're out of contention (at least on the offensive side).

Our defense is abysmal and nothing is going to change that as long as we're doing the same things with the same people. I've just resigned myself to the fact that we're going to see the same defense for the rest of the season led by the same guy and making the same stupid mistakes. Since it won't get any better until the end of the year (if then) I'm giving up bitching and crying about it and just going out there to watch the offense get better. They do seem to get better every year and who knows, maybe they'll get good enough to carry us to a winning record in spite of the defense.

Or maybe they'll get on a roll and something magic will happen. Who knows right? You turn a season around one game at a time so if we don't beat Cincinnati I wouldn't say our season is suddenly toast. I'd say it's "still" toast and nothing has changed.

ensign_lee
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM

Are you serious? How about JUST TWO GAMES AGO.

4th and 10? and the 20 ard or so reception, snagging it from the DB's grasps and converting that crucial 4th down? How about in the Jags game, driving down to get the game into overtime?

I could go on and on about AJ.

Mario? Have you not seen how many times the Mario sack song has come into play? He had a *huge* sack on Manning that many thought effectively ended the game against the Colts.

Pessimism is one thing, but come on now. That's crazy ridiculous.

dtran04
10-24-2008, 03:39 PM
If "inconsistent" means 2nd in the league in receptions and having the highest YPG in the entire league the past 2 years, I want 55 "inconsistent" players.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I get real worried when I hear sound bites like the one I just heard on 610 by Kubiak..............."They [Bengals] have an EXPLOSIVE offense."

How EXPLOSIVE an offense can you have being 7-0. Sounds like a CYA excuse for a coach who's also worried about having this one get away from us.

dtran04
10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Or just sounds like coachspeak to the media.

imatexan
10-24-2008, 03:58 PM
AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts.

Wow. Just wow. :bat::shocked

cuppacoffee
10-24-2008, 04:21 PM
JCTexan;1031789]I agree. If we lose this week we have no shot at the playoffs.

We didn't blow a lead. The Lions would have actually had to have tied it for us to have blown a lead. They didn't since we were up 28-10 at one point. The Colts game was blowing a lead.

I thought we were up by 21-0 at one point, my memory's not the best.

My point was that we were handidly beating the Lions but for some reason we played down to them and let them back in the game.

Didn't AJ catch a pass to put us in FG position against the Jags? And what about that catch he had against the Dolphins? If that's not stepping it up I don't know what is.]

A catch against the Jags to put us in FG position? Great recievers are measured by TD catches. At least that is my measuring stick.

Through 6 games AJ has 2 TD's on 45 Receptions for 629 yards
Through 7 games Ocho has 2 TD's on 27 Receptions for 269 yards
Through 7 games TO has 5 TD's on 25 Receptions for 398 yards
Through 6 games Moss has 4 TD's on 25 Receptions for 369 yards

I just picked these players because of their name recognization, I do not know who the league leaders are at this point. Might be interesting to know.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Conclusion? Teams know how to defense AJ. Give him his catches but limit his TD's. I can't prove it but it seems most of AJs catches are sideline variety that limit any yac. Like I stated.. its only my perception.

The catch against the Dolphins was great by any standard...I'd like to see that kind of catch more often. AJ very seldom battles for the ball.

Observe, it was a sideline catch.

What is AJ's yac (contact) average? I don't know, but I doubt it ranks very high against other #1 recievers. I could be very wrong though.

I just do not hold AJ to the highest esteem other Texan fans do.

cuppacoffee
10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

4th and 10? and the 20 ard or so reception, snagging it from the DB's grasps and converting that crucial 4th down? How about in the Jags game, driving down to get the game into overtime?

Mario? Have you not seen how many times the Mario sack song has come into play? He had a *huge* sack on Manning that many thought effectively ended the game against the Colts.

I am relegated to using a dial up connection and looking up stats is a major time consuming effort.

Could you look up the stat leaders for this year and tell me where Mario fits into the list.

Keep reading for my opinion of Johnson.

If "inconsistent" means 2nd in the league in receptions and having the highest YPG in the entire league the past 2 years, I want 55 "inconsistent" players.

Like I state in a previous post....

And two TD's for the year. One TD every third game.

2nd in the league in receptions and highest YPG are statistics.

TD's win games!

Statistics are for losers....I seem to remember a former players' stats being ridiculed as meaningless. But that's history and was proven correct.

We already have 54 inconsistent players and where has it gotten us?

K Brown is money.

I understand the need for us Texan fans to search for heros. I just don't think we have any... yet. But again, that's just me.

AJ and Mario are just the best on an average/below average team.

imatexan
10-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Wasn't it AJ who made that amazing catch to set up the winning TD against MIA?

O ya it was!

Buffi2
10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Char Broiled, Burnt toast - to be exact. If we let an 0-7 team get their first win against us - well, that is enough to send me to the Maalox. I don't even think the team could bounce back from that one - that would be worse than the meltdown against Indy.

This year I'm dwelling on our offense which is getting better and better. I try not to cry when the defense is on the field.

TheRealJoker
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
The home crowd better show up for this game. I'm confident Kubes will have the team ready but it better not look like bizarro world in the stands where one can hear the sound of a pindrop between plays when our defense is on the field :(

awtysst
10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I am relegated to using a dial up connection and looking up stats is a major time consuming effort.

Could you look up the stat leaders for this year and tell me where Mario fits into the list.

Mario is currently tied for sixth in the NFL with 6.0 sacks. The league leader is Demarcus Ware with 9.0. Here are the numbers:

1. Demarcus Ware-Dal: 9.0
2. James Harrison-Pitt: 8.5
Joey Porter-Mia: 8.5
4. Lamar Woodley-Pitt: 7.5
5. John Abraham-Atl: 7.0
6. Kevin Williams-Minn: 6.0
Aaron Kampaman-GB: 6.0
Albert Haynesworth-Ten: 6.0
Mario Williams-HOUSTON: 6.0

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2008, 09:08 PM
With these comments on PFT, can you imagine the response expected if the Texans fall to a potentially 0-16 team?

BENGALS NEED DAUNTE, NOW
Posted by Mike Florio on October 24, 2008, 8:58 p.m.

At 0-7 and facing the prospects of playing the next nine games without their franchise quarterback, the Cincinnati Bengals need help desperately at the position.

They need to sign Daunte Culpepper now.

Yeah, we’re a little bit in the tank for him. (At least we admit it.) But who else is out there?

Tim Rattay? Bruce Gradkowski? Kordell Stewart? Jeff George? (Actually, Jeff George would be fine by us, too.)

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jordan Palmer aren’t the answer. Unless the question is, “Do we want to go 0-16?”
So they should sign Daunte.

Did we say they should do it now?

RTP2110
10-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Hell, I thought the season was toast after the Indy game. The huge factor is being 0-3 in the division. We have to win the last 3 division games. In a tight playoff race, that's a tiebreaker that will send you home.

Norg
10-24-2008, 11:49 PM
NO but it would be bad

Cincy
Minn
Balty

if we can win 2 outta 3 of thoes games then that would be decent

also Winning the Last 3 Divison games is a MUST WIN if we wanna have a chance at a wild card

Also alot of teams in the MIddle of the pack in the AFC gots to lose big time

its looking bleak but we could still make it

Nawzer
10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Yep.

cuppacoffee
10-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Mario is currently tied for sixth in the NFL with 6.0 sacks. The league leader is Demarcus Ware with 9.0. Here are the numbers:

1. Demarcus Ware-Dal: 9.0
2. James Harrison-Pitt: 8.5
Joey Porter-Mia: 8.5
4. Lamar Woodley-Pitt: 7.5
5. John Abraham-Atl: 7.0
6. Kevin Williams-Minn: 6.0
Aaron Kampaman-GB: 6.0
Albert Haynesworth-Ten: 6.0
Mario Williams-HOUSTON: 6.0

Thanks awtysst....so if I am correct

AJ averages a TD every third game and Mario gets 1 sack a game.

If Mario maintains that average it will be a very good year.

Don't misunderstand me, I wish both guys would dominate their positions.

I am a Texan fan after all.

GNTLEWOLF
10-25-2008, 07:48 AM
I have been reading and re-reading this post all night wondering how many ways one can answer yes, our season is toast if we lose this game. The longer I thought about it the more I realized that answer lies in what ones goals are. If our goals are to reach the play-offs, then yes a loss this week will end our season. In my opinion, that boat has already sailed. however, if our goal is to see real improvement and to set ourselves up to have a solid team, then the jury is still out on that one until the end. This team has some talent. It also has many holes, like the DB's and our linebackers, and our pass rush and our Defensive coordinater. Some of those holes will not get fixed until the off-season if then. But things things like protecting the ball, and Offensive line blocking, and development of some of the raw young talent that we already have can be done.
Above I mentioned seeing real improvement, and I'm not talking about that manufactured slow-as-mlasses garbage that has been passing for it. I hope that if our play-off hopes end, that we will see a team emerge who really will be winners next year.

Malloy
10-25-2008, 07:55 AM
If we lose to the Bungles this weekend, this season is over. Doesn't mean I'll quit watching them, but at that point I'd quit expecting anything out of them.

I second that.

Go Texans, moo moo!!

ObsiWan
10-25-2008, 07:58 AM

You saved me a post.
And remember there was last year when Mario forced a fumble that led to us to getting up two scores on the Colts and finally beat them.

...how soon we forget.

Malloy
10-25-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't have the ability to record and rewatch the game, but my initial impression (opinion) was that in the second half our O went into a shell and the D was all but non-existant, again.

I have lost all faith in the ability of both of our coordinators to make in game adjustments.:stooges:

Kubiak wants to run the ball to maintain a lead, that's a fantastic idea if it wasn't for the fact that our D is doing jack. If we had a decent D the running to maintain a lead mentality would work just fine.

Until we can defend against a comeback we have to come out firing, and scoring, for 4 quarters every game, never play it safe, take chances, go for 50 points a game.

Malloy
10-25-2008, 08:08 AM
The catch against the Dolphins was great by any standard...I'd like to see that kind of catch more often. AJ very seldom battles for the ball.

Observe, it was a sideline catch.

Truth be told that sideline throw was with less than 2 minutes left on the clock, sideline is where you want to throw it.

Thorn
10-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Kubiak wants to run the ball to maintain a lead, that's a fantastic idea if it wasn't for the fact that our D is doing jack. If we had a decent D the running to maintain a lead mentality would work just fine.

Until we can defend against a comeback we have to come out firing, and scoring, for 4 quarters every game, never play it safe, take chances, go for 50 points a game.

Yep, exactly.

ObsiWan
10-25-2008, 08:31 AM
I think if we're talking about a playoff spot then our season has been toast since the first week at Pittsburgh. We learned very quickly that we didn't have the defense to hang with anyone heading for the post season and nothing has changed in the weeks that followed. Whether we beat Cincinnati or not we'll still give them almost 400 yards of offense and probably around 28 points. We have no business thinking about the playoffs.

I'm not even a little bit upset by that though. I was very much hoping that the Texans would step up but since they haven't (on that side of the ball) I'm just taking the year one game at a time and just taking solace in the fact that our offense is maybe a few games away from being something awesome to behold. They just need more reps to work the mistakes out and get truly efficient and I hate to think that we'll probably be playing our best football after we're out of contention (at least on the offensive side).

Our defense is abysmal and nothing is going to change that as long as we're doing the same things with the same people. I've just resigned myself to the fact that we're going to see the same defense for the rest of the season led by the same guy and making the same stupid mistakes. Since it won't get any better until the end of the year (if then) I'm giving up bitching and crying about it and just going out there to watch the offense get better. They do seem to get better every year and who knows, maybe they'll get good enough to carry us to a winning record in spite of the defense.

Or maybe they'll get on a roll and something magic will happen. Who knows right? You turn a season around one game at a time so if we don't beat Cincinnati I wouldn't say our season is suddenly toast. I'd say it's "still" toast and nothing has changed.

I agree totally with that. We don't have anything close to a high caliber defense. Until we do, we're not playoff-ready.

If we lose is the season "toast"?
No.
I've seen the offense mature in many ways. We finally have a RB that's a legitimate breakaway threat. We finally have a real passing attack, not just a dink & dunk QB. Our special teams can score. Those things are improvements. But we still have holes to fill (FS, DE) and spots to upgrade (defensive coordinator). And learn to stop giving the dang ball away.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Cincy played us to the wire. Because, personally, I don't see us being 10-pt faves over Cincy. They hung in there against Pittsburgh and against Dallas - teams with 3-4 defenses that gave us fits and more "stud" players on offense than we've got. Did the talking heads happen to notice that their strength, WR, is going up against our biggest weakness, CB. Did they see CJ go off for 150+ yds on two catches last week?? My message: If we don't pressure Fitzpatrick, we lose. Speaking getting pressure, did I mention that we only have 9 sacks and Mario has six of those. So if they double team Mario, Fitzpatrick may well have all day to find 8-5 and T.J. If we're smart we'll run the ball, kill the clock, and keep those guys on the sidelines

Bottom line: I just don't see this as an automatic win.

ObsiWan
10-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Thank you.
Please tell this to the folks who don't understand why we go for it on fourth down so often.

cuppacoffee
10-25-2008, 01:05 PM

My thoughts exactly..Play the entire game as though we are trailing...or we soon will be.

cuppacoffee
10-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Truth be told that sideline throw was with less than 2 minutes left on the clock, sideline is where you want to throw it.

Only if you are trailing and need to stop the clock.

But my original point is that teams seem to defense AJ to make all his catches near the sideline.

It's been a long time since AJ was hit in stride down the middle of the field.

I am going strictly from memory on this, but it seems like reality to me.

I am not attempting to turn the fan base against AJ. I am only stating the way I see things, even though many think I am wrong.

Hell...I very well could be.

:gotexans1

threetoedpete
10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Well we're going to find out two things Sunday.

Is this football team ready to stand on it's hind legs...and no matter what the adversity they encounter, find a way to win ?

Is this our starting five o-lineman or are we still missing some pieces ?

I'd like to see a blow out so that we could unloaded the benches in the fourth quarter.

As far as the season being over...that was prety much taken care of when the NFL released the schedule. We're four and & half behind the titans. Unless they loose a couple of key pieces off their defense, possible, not likely, no one is going to catch them. We're o-3 in the division once again. They've already dug a pretty deep grave at this point. They can stop digging now and play some football.

CloakNNNdagger
10-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Well we're going to find out two things Sunday.

Is this football team ready to stand on it's hind legs...and no matter what the adversity they encounter, find a way to win ?

Is this our starting five o-lineman or are we still missing some pieces ?

I'd like to see a blow out so that we could unloaded the benches in the fourth quarter.

As far as the season being over...that was prety much taken care of when the NFL released the schedule. We're four and & half behind the titans. Unless they loose a couple of key pieces off their defense, possible, not likely, no one is going to catch them. We're o-3 in the division once again. They've already dug a pretty deep grave at this point. They can stop digging now and play some football.

I don't know if we get a valid answer to these 2 questions if we have POSITIVE results against a team of such "caliber." However, I do believe that if the play is NEGATIVE, we may have a more valid and definitive answer.:hmmm:

TheRealJoker
10-25-2008, 02:13 PM
It shows just how sad our DC situation is when everyone EXPECTS one of the league's worst offenses this season to light us up.

Fire Richard Smith!!!

threetoedpete
10-25-2008, 02:19 PM
It shows just how sad our DC situation is when everyone EXPECTS one of the league's worst offenses this season to light us up.

Fire Richard Smith!!!

Well I remember Atlanta. Richard Smith had nothing to do with the interior o-line not being able to handle the DT's of the falcons. You my son can believe what you will. I remember the St. Louis Game and what Fitzgerald did. I have a healthy respect for any NFL team....and Smith had nothing to do with that one either. The coaches have the cards they've been dealt. And that's not going to change until Mr. McNair bangs them all. Or Kubes drops down stone cold dead. Live with it.

ObsiWan
10-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Well I remember Atlanta. Richard Smith had nothing to do with the interior o-line not being able to handle the DT's of the falcons. You my son can believe what you will. I remember the St. Louis Game and what Fitzgerald did. I have a healthy respect for any NFL team....and Smith had nothing to do with that one either. The coaches have the cards they've been dealt. And that's not going to change until Mr. McNair bangs them all. Or Kubes drops down stone cold dead. Live with it.

I remember Atlanta too.
I seem to recall that our defense made Joey Harrington look like Tom Brady. So, Smith did have a little something to do with that. And this year, a rookie took Harrington's job; so its not like a switch came on in Harrington's game. Smith just didn't sufficiently prepare the defensive troops.

And you'll have to refresh my memory about the Rams vs. the Texans ...unless you mean when Fitzpatrick lit us up for 310 yds & 3 TDs in 2005. Can't blame that one on Richard Smith - but it is a warning about Ryan Fitzpatrick. He brought the Rams back from 21 down in that game. Those twisted enough to want to relive it, click here (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=28689&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2005&week=REG12)

I completely agree with one thing you said. Any NFL team can take us down if we play them cheap and don't bring our A game - Atlanta was a perfect example.

Another thing you're most likely right about is that Kubiak isn't going to toss any of his coaches under the bus in mid-season. Neither is McNair. If he didn't do it to Capers, he won't ever do it.

CloakNNNdagger
10-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I remember Atlanta too.
I seem to recall that our defense made Joey Harrington look like Tom Brady. So, Smith did have a little something to do with that. And this year, a rookie took Harrington's job; so its not like a switch came on in Harrington's game. Smith just didn't sufficiently prepare the defensive troops.

And you'll have to refresh my memory about the Rams vs. the Texans ...unless you mean when Fitzpatrick lit us up for 310 yds & 3 TDs in 2005. Can't blame that one on Richard Smith - but it is a warning about Ryan Fitzpatrick. He brought the Rams back from 21 down in that game. Those twisted enough to want to relive it, click here (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=28689&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2005&week=REG12)

I completely agree with one thing you said. Any NFL team can take us down if we play them cheap and don't bring our A game - Atlanta was a perfect example.

Another thing you're most likely right about is that Kubiak isn't going to toss any of his coaches under the bus in mid-season. Neither is McNair. If he didn't do it to Capers, he won't ever do it.

You would have thought that they would have learned from past experience.................Naaaaa.

CloakNNNdagger
10-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Our division is trying to get weaker............Matt Jones, The Jag's most productive WR has been suspended for 3 weeks. The suspension may not begin until week 9. He was caught by a passing policeman cutting cocaine in his car with one of his credit cards. Well, if your credit card these days are almost worthless, you've just been given a useful alternative to tearing it up.:gun:

TheRealJoker
10-26-2008, 03:35 AM
Our division is trying to get weaker............Matt Jones, The Jag's most productive WR has been suspended for 3 weeks. The suspension may not begin until week 9. He was caught by a passing policeman cutting cocaine in his car with one of his credit cards. Well, if your credit card these days are almost worthless, you've just been given a useful alternative to tearing it up.:gun:

Is this a new charge? Or is it an extension of the summer cocaine charge? You would think 2 times in the same year that you're caught with cocaine would mean AT LEAST a season suspension. He obviously didn't learn the first time lol.

CloakNNNdagger
10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Is this a new charge? Or is it an extension of the summer cocaine charge? You would think 2 times in the same year that you're caught with cocaine would mean AT LEAST a season suspension. He obviously didn't learn the first time lol.

This occurred in July, and the suspension was dictated by the NFL. Jones was to submit an appeal prior to the upcoming game. If this has been done, it may delay the suspension until the 9th week. Official announcement of his playing status for today has not been published anywhere that I've been able to find.

CloakNNNdagger
10-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Interesting that The Sports Network, despite the -9 odds, has predicted a repeat "surprise" performance by Fitzpatrick, leaving the Texans with a 20-19 loss.

Thorn
10-26-2008, 08:20 AM
If the offense scores points, and the defense loses us this game, perhaps then a light bulb will go off somewhere and Richard Smith will be gone. I'd take the loss if that were to happen.

CloakNNNdagger
10-26-2008, 08:52 AM
If the offense scores points, and the defense loses us this game, perhaps then a light bulb will go off somewhere and Richard Smith will be gone. I'd take the loss if that were to happen.

Even if that's the case and we BARELY WIN this game, the light bulb better go off in someone's head, or, with all the angry fans, shortly afterwards we might see a stick of dynamite going off in someone's butt.
:foottap:

Malloy
10-26-2008, 09:02 AM

I like the positive spin. The game really is a win-win situation! :)

ESAD2-14
10-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Interesting that The Sports Network, despite the -9 odds, has predicted a repeat "surprise" performance by Fitzpatrick, leaving the Texans with a 20-19 loss.

Probably would not come as much of a "surprise" to those of us who have actually watched the Texans defense :lion: this year. Disappointing yes, surprise no.

In any case :fans: !!

whiskeyrbl
10-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Only if you are trailing and need to stop the clock.

But my original point is that teams seem to defense AJ to make all his catches near the sideline.

It's been a long time since AJ was hit in stride down the middle of the field.

I am going strictly from memory on this, but it seems like reality to me.

I am not attempting to turn the fan base against AJ. I am only stating the way I see things, even though many think I am wrong.

Hell...I very well could be.

:gotexans1

He catches at least two to three slants each game which are over the middle. However in the scheme of things I think we play him towards the sideline because that sure opens up the middle for KW and OD.

CloakNNNdagger
10-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Probably would not come as much of a "surprise" to those of us who have actually watched the Texans defense :lion: this year. Disappointing yes, surprise no.

In any case :fans: !!

Many of you may not remember, but back in 2002, the Bengals were 0-7. Then who did they face...................and get their 1st win?