PDA

View Full Version : Andre Davis out for 2 to 4 Weeks

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
per Fox 26:

Texans Lose Davis for At Least 2 Weeks

Last Edited: Tuesday, 21 Oct 2008, 8:25 PM CDT
Created: Tuesday, 21 Oct 2008, 7:50 PM CDT

HOUSTON -- NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports Tuesday the Houston Texans have lost receiver and special teams star Andre Davis from two to four weeks.

Davis had surgery on his left ring finger Monday. Head Coach Gary Kubiak said Monday the team was hopeful Davis would be able to play against the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday at Reliant Stadium. They now know that will not be the case.

Davis has caught seven passes for 123 yards, averaging a team-high 17.6 yards a catch. He has also returned 26 kicks, averaging 22.2 yards a return.

Last year Davis proved he could be a deep threat on offense and a significant weapon on special teams. Sunday he downed two Matt Turk punts inside the five yard line, which played a huge role in the outcome of the game against the Lions.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=7694693&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

gtexan02
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
lol, I don't know if it played a "huge role" because of a certain number 38 and 42

Ryan
10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I've been wanting to see somebody else return kicks for a change. Davis has not gotten it done so far.

jaayteetx
10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Think Adibi takes his spot on the active roster for those games?

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I hope we don't revert back to Anderson as slot receiver. Jacoby needs to fill in for Andre.

Norg
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I say let Kevin Walter been in the WR slot

BaylrBearBryant
10-21-2008, 11:55 PM
I hope we don't revert back to Anderson as slot receiver. Jacoby needs to fill in for Andre.

I think after these 2-4 weeks we'll know a lot more about the future of Jacoby Jones as a Texan.

buddyboy
10-22-2008, 01:33 AM

I dunno, I'd like to get Anderson out there and see what he can do. He was pretty good during the preseason...

nunusguy
10-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Jacobey is more exciting, more explosive, just more talented than Anderson but he's also riskier - he makes me nervous. Anderson would seem to be the safer chose to run back kickoffs, so lets restrict JJ to punt-returns.

Silver Oak
10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Jacobey is more exciting, more explosive, just more talented than Anderson but he's also riskier - he makes me nervous. Anderson would seem to be the safer chose to run back kickoffs, so lets restrict JJ to punt-returns.

while I like JJ's upside, he causes me a lot of nervousness as he still doesn't know how to protect the ball. he caught a punt over his shoulder on Sunday when there was no good reason for him to have had to do it.

Malloy
10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
I think for the first time in Texans history, I am not bothered at all with this injury to AD. WR talent and ability is at an alltime high on this team, and we have skillful players ready to step up.

ST, I think JJ can handle it, he better or we'll get rid of him like we did with Mathis :)

texanhead08
10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm wondering if Jacoby will be returning kickoffs too. If he is I am nervous just because we know he has had issues with ball secruity.

Ole Miss Texan
10-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Well Walter moves in the slot receiver position when Davis comes in. To me, it seems both Anderson and Jones are better suited to come in as slot receivers though so I wonder if Walter will stay on the outside?

I don't even know how many snaps Davis gets on the field. I'm not too worried about this (as long as he can recover fine). That's not to say I don't want Davis on the team b/c I do. But I think Anderson and Jacoby will do alright and look forward to their contribution. This should only help Jacoby's maturation as a WR, which is what we need.

As far as kick off returns, I wonder if Slaton will get to take that over. I'm pretty sure he did that during preseason and at West Virginia, but now that he's the starting RB, I wonder if that will change. I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

El Tejano
10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I hope we don't put Anderson in the slot and Walter on the outside. The last time we did that, we lost big time in Pittsburgh and Tenn. I don't like that kind of rotation at WR. This is bigger than people think. Once Andre Davis became part of the rotation, our offense started moving the ball alot better. Before that, we looked pitiful.

gtexan02
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Well Walter moves in the slot receiver position when Davis comes in. To me, it seems both Anderson and Jones are better suited to come in as slot receivers though so I wonder if Walter will stay on the outside?

I don't even know how many snaps Davis gets on the field. I'm not too worried about this (as long as he can recover fine). That's not to say I don't want Davis on the team b/c I do. But I think Anderson and Jacoby will do alright and look forward to their contribution. This should only help Jacoby's maturation as a WR, which is what we need.

As far as kick off returns, I wonder if Slaton will get to take that over. I'm pretty sure he did that during preseason and at West Virginia, but now that he's the starting RB, I wonder if that will change. I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

I'm hoping that Anderson or Jacoby will be our KR guy. I don't want to risk Slaton's health at this point for KR duty

ObsiWan
10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Bring Moats up from the P/S and let him return kickoffs.

And, sorry, but there's a noticable drop-off in talent when replacing Davis with either Anderson or Jones.

Anderson: Hands are there but he's too light to block effectively, too small out jump DBs for the ball, and not fast enough to create separation.

Jones: The speed/size is there but his hands are suspect. I don't trust him to make a difficult catch or to not to do something dumb if he does catch it. And has he actually blocked anyone yet? If he has, I missed it. I've seen him wiff a time or two....

...siiiigh.... now I really miss Harry Williams. He had size/speed and was fearless.

Ole Miss Texan
10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Jones: The speed/size is there but his hands are suspect. I don't trust him to make a difficult catch or to not to do something dumb if he does catch it. And has he actually blocked anyone yet? If he has, I missed it. I've seen him wiff a time or two....

...siiiigh.... now I really miss Harry Williams. He had size/speed and was fearless.

I'm sort of the opposite when it comes to Jacoby. He just strikes me as making a sort of difficult catch and you think he's turned the corner, but then he'll let a wide open pass hit him in the helmet. As far as securing the ball, I agree wholeheartedly. His problem of swinging the ball out far when he runs is a problem as both a WR and a PR.

QFT on Harry Williams. Kubiak was really impressed with his progress and potential as a player during the offseason/preseason.

76Texan
10-22-2008, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=ObsiWan;1030505]Bring Moats up from the P/S and let him return kickoffs.

QUOTE]
Moats was cut by the Eagles due to fumblitis.

Sideline
10-22-2008, 06:31 PM
I would love to see David Anderson get some time in the game now Davis is out. I think he proved he should be given a shot over Jacoby in the pre-season.

ArlingtonTexan
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
I think it won't be an either/or with anderson/Jones. it will be dependant on formation and siuation as to which will be the 3rd guy versus the 4th guy. don't forget that we may see a few more two TE sets also as the Bengal run defense has been worse than the pass defense.

threetoedpete
10-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Time to find out where J.J. is in his development. If I remember correctly, Anderson took a pretty good shot on Kick off coverage during the Miami game. Dressen's played well. Two TE sets might not be a bad idea.

Sideline
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I think it won't be an either/or with anderson/Jones. it will be dependant on formation and siuation as to which will be the 3rd guy versus the 4th guy. don't forget that we may see a few more two TE sets also as the Bengal run defense has been worse than the pass defense.

Thats a good call to be honest, get them both involved.

Sideline
10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
With Davis out of the lineup, David Anderson will become the third receiver and Jacoby Jones will see more action on offense.

“What happens is that Jacoby goes back to work full-time right now,” Kubiak said. “So he’s in the rotation. In three wides, David will come and play inside, but Jacoby will know all of the spots.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4785

Answers our question, thats a quote from Kubes about the injury.

GuerillaBlack
10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Answers our question, thats a quote from Kubes about the injury.

"Jacoby, go long!!!"

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
"Jacoby, go long!!!" That would depend more on how long Matt can go.:tiphat:

disaacks3
10-23-2008, 10:31 PM
while I like JJ's upside, he causes me a lot of nervousness as he still doesn't know how to protect the ball. he caught a punt over his shoulder on Sunday when there was no good reason for him to have had to do it.
Yeah, that one bothered me too. Then I saw him do it when they came out at the end of halftime...I don't know where he picked up that habit, but he needs to break it NOW.