PDA

View Full Version : Question about LBs

El Tejano
10-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't know if this belongs in another forum but here it goes.

I love Demeco Ryans. I think he is a great linebacker and probably one of the most talented young lbs in the game right now. He's aggressive, plays smart and fundamentally sound. This is why I think we are wasting him at MLB. Originally he was drafted to play OLB but we didn't have a MLB so we had to put him there and he excelled.

I wouldn't mind drafting another MLB or even getting one in FA who could come and let Ryans play where Morlon Greenwood is right now who just barely made two good tackles against Miami.

While playing at Alabama, Demeco caused havoc for opposing QBs. Check out the bowl game vs. Texas Tech.Could you imagine if Ryans is lined up at OLB and looking like he is going to blitz? The d definetly has to account for him and figure out what to do with Mario at the same time. Even if he drops back in coverage he is the only LB we have that keeps up with TEs and knows how to tackle.

I know it isn't broke so don't try to fix it. But is it really not broken? I look at it as an upgrade otherwise we have to hope that Adibi works out which I haven't even seen the dude in pads at all.

Spike
10-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I think the argument is that you don't move a guy who is having success at one position (pro-bowl) to another slot.

That being said, I tend to agree with you. I have seen differing opinions on Diles, but I think he has played well for a first year starter and is improving every week. If you move Ryans to Greenwood's spot, you just have to fill the middle.

I am all for experimenting with the guys we have now. I say move Ryans to the side, plug in Bently or Thompson and see what that combination can do.

It can't be much worse.

Texan_Bill
10-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I just hope you don't get lambasted for this heresy the way some of us did whenever we brought this up a while ago... :aggressive:

beerlover
10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
we need to see Richard Smith make some adjustments to add more speed on the outside this weekend to contain Fitzpatrick as he is most effective outside the pocket. if that entails benching Greenwood to move DeMeco outside & let Kevin Bently hold the middle I say lets get the most productive players on the field @ the same time for a change :)

Spike
10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I just hope you don't get lambasted for this heresy the way some of us did whenever we brought this up a while ago... :aggressive:

I can take...I can no longer stay silent :)

gtexan02
10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
As per the announcers during last weeks game, Kubiak himself apprently said he was pleased with the play of his three line backers, and believed that position to be set. They went on to say that he is not pleased with the DL and Secondary, and those are the priorities

As for Diles and Greenwoods tackle stats, I think those are more indicative of teams running away from Greenwoods side and towards Diles side (Greenwood usually lines up behind Mario on run downs, and team have been running more infrequently to that side).

This leads to a bunch of tackles for Diles

Putting DeMeco in for Greenwood would basically take him out of a lot of run plays (they'll just run away from him) and make him responsible for covering the TE on passing downs, something we all know he doesn't excel at nearly as much as he does playing the MLB

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure about moving D-Ryans, but we damn sure need some LB's. That said, if we were to bring in a FA or draft pick that's a sure fire MLB then I'd be game making the move. I'd most definitely keep D-Ryans the defensive captain.

Unless there's a good Guard available, I'm all for a defensive draft. :fans:

eriadoc
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure about moving D-Ryans, but we damn sure need some LB's. That said, if we were to bring in a FA or draft pick that's a sure fire MLB then I'd be game making the move. I'd most definitely keep D-Ryans the defensive caption.

So is that like a picture of all 11 defensive players and underneath the pic it just says "Demeco Ryans"?

:D (just bustin' your chops a little)

maddogmrb
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
So is that like a picture of all 11 defensive players and underneath the pic it just says "Demeco Ryans"?

Personally, I think we should move 'em outside and keep him as the caption, also!

Hardcore Texan
10-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Why hasn't Adibi seen the field, I have not seen him out there since pre-season.

El Tejano
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
That said, if we were to bring in a FA or draft pick that's a sure fire MLB then I'd be game making the move. I'd most definitely keep D-Ryans the defensive caption.

I'd like to have the MLB from USC.

Yankee_In_TX
10-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Briefly - DR's ankle is bum, part of why he has been a little off this year

I think he is like Mario, a skilled and talented guy who could destroy if he had an decent LB to play with (DE for Mario).

I think if we got a decent NFL calibre MLB DR would create havoc from the outside, and maybe give Mario that other effective pass rusher for D's to contend with.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 02:44 PM

Personally, I think we should move 'em outside and keep him as the caption, also!

Alright, alright, so I messed up once. I never claimed to be a perfectionist like johnsonfan. :)

The Pencil Neck
10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Why hasn't Adibi seen the field, I have not seen him out there since pre-season.

He's been hurt or sick the entire time. He's really behind when it comes to reps. I was hoping he'd have taken Greenwood's spot by now but you can't do that if you can't practice (and you're a rook.)

The Pencil Neck
10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I think if we got a decent NFL calibre MLB DR would create havoc from the outside, and maybe give Mario that other effective pass rusher for D's to contend with.

Exactly. If we had Patrick Willis in the Mike, Demeco on the outside, and Mario, Demeco and Mario would be even more monstrous than they are now.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
He's been hurt or sick the entire time. He's really behind when it comes to reps. I was hoping he'd have taken Greenwood's spot by now but you can't do that if you can't practice (and you're a rook.)

Yeah, from what Kubiak has said he's having trouble holding his weight, much less gaining any.

I was pro-IRing him before the season due to his lack of field time then. Now I wonder why it hasn't been done yet. Kevis Coley could've taken his spot until next season. Coley would've at least been able to contribute to the team by now.

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
As per the announcers during last weeks game, Kubiak himself apprently said he was pleased with the play of his three line backers, and believed that position to be set. They went on to say that he is not pleased with the DL and Secondary, and those are the priorities

I think this is pretty accurate. McClain stated acouple of times that the Texans drafted Adibi and hoped he could push Morlon for the WLB spot this year. Obviously things didn't worked out the way they planned because of injuries and weight problem, but he could be in the mix later this season(like Diles last year) or maybe next season.

I don't think the Texans is going to draft a OLB high in the next draft, and if they do decide to draft one at all it'll probably be for depth/ST purposes.

The Pencil Neck
10-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, from what Kubiak has said he's having trouble holding his weight, much less gaining any.

That was when he had a stomach virus. He had it for a couple of weeks. A lot of people misinterpreted this as Adibi losing weight for some unknown reason (like some unknown illness) or him not being able to bulk up.

But then after being ill in the preseason, I think he got hit by another virus (or illness) that same week that Matt got sick. That week, there were several people throughout the league that were all ill. I was surprised there wasn't more investigation or reporting on that.

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
That was when he had a stomach virus. He had it for a couple of weeks. A lot of people misinterpreted this as Adibi losing weight for some unknown reason (like some unknown illness) or him not being able to bulk up.

But then after being ill in the preseason, I think he got hit by another virus (or illness) that same week that Matt got sick. That week, there were several people throughout the league that were all ill. I was surprised there wasn't more investigation or reporting on that.

Mystery solved. It was Tatum Bell tainting everyones water bottle at their practice for not giving him a call after getting canned in Detroit.

TheRealJoker
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I think our most productive LB group would be:

Sam - Diles

Mike - Bentley

Will - Ryans

There are several problems with that however...

Ryans is the signal caller on defense plus the whole all pro MLB thing he has going for him, Bentley has been cited as the captain on special teams (he's like the DeMeco of the kick coverage units) and moving him to starting defense would cause a dropoff in special teams, and Greenwood doesn't play ST and if he did there would be a dropoff from Bentley.

I just hope that Amobi becomes the player we hoped he'd be sooner than later so that the Texans dont end up kicking themselves for passing over Willis, Marshawn Lynch, or Reevis :(

NBT
10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd like to have the MLB from USC.

Rey Maualuga has issues with his being overly aggressive. He plays too out of control to suit me. I would much rather we do what we have to do (trade up?) for MLB james Laurainitis, then move DeMeco to his more natural WLB position.

NBT
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Exactly. If we had Patrick Willis in the Mike, Demeco on the outside, and Mario, Demeco and Mario would be even more monstrous than they are now.

You're living in the past. We have to deal with the present.

NBT
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I think our most productive LB group would be:

Sam - Diles

Mike - Bentley

Will - Ryans

There are several problems with that however...

Ryans is the signal caller on defense plus the whole all pro MLB thing he has going for him, Bentley has been cited as the captain on special teams (he's like the DeMeco of the kick coverage units) and moving him to starting defense would cause a dropoff in special teams, and Greenwood doesn't play ST and if he did there would be a dropoff from Bentley.

I just hope that Amobi becomes the player we hoped he'd be sooner than later so that the Texans dont end up kicking themselves for passing over Willis, Marshawn Lynch, or Reevis :(

If they were the most productive, they would be playing allready. Either that or Kubiak is getting real insecure. Come on open it up, be more aggessive. We can't be much worse on defense than the way we are.

Texan JBZ
10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I just don't understand the logic in moving a Pro Bowl Mike LB to the Will LB. He's proven to be effective right where he is at. Why mess up a good thing? That position is set for many years to come. Rick Smith should worry about getting another Will, a Safety with some range, and more pass rushers. The Texans have no problem with their MLB position.

ATXtexanfan
10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
not sold on diles and greenwood, they have looked better the past few weeks against the lions and dolphins, but against the playoff teams from last year ..........

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I just don't understand the logic in moving a Pro Bowl Mike LB to the Will LB. He's proven to be effective right where he is at. Why mess up a good thing?

It's sorta the same with Chester Pitts. He could be a good LT for us, but he could be an even better LG with all-pro potential. So if Meco is already great at MLB and is an all-pro, then imagine if we put him at his natural position, WLB. He could be some sort of super-ultra WLB for us.

btw, I don't advocate switching Meco to WLB. He's been at MLB for 2 years now, and we already put the time in on teaching him and getting him comfortable at MLB, so why switch now?

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
not sold on diles and greenwood, they have looked better the past few weeks against the lions and dolphins, but against the playoff teams from last year ..........

Indy was a PO team and Diles made both Peyton and Clark looked like chumps in one play.

rollinstone18
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Demeco isn't moving to OLB. We either need to light a fire under Okam or find another DT who can clog the trenches and keep o-lineman off of Meco. A big body up front would go a long way in helping all of our linebackers.

Fox
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Diles is an interesting player to me. I think his size limits his ability to stop the run when they run it at him, but on the other hand he's made plays with his pass rush, coverage, and pursuit of the ball carrier. His play so far makes me think he deserves to keep his spot next season.

Greenwood on the other hand I'm not sure I've noticed yet this season. He seems to have a positive influence in the locker room, particularly with Demeco in the film room, but he looks like just another guy on the field. We could definitely use another play maker in his stead.

dsorc
10-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Rey Maualuga has issues with his being overly aggressive. He plays too out of control to suit me. I would much rather we do what we have to do (trade up?) for MLB james Laurainitis, then move DeMeco to his more natural WLB position.
If we want a LB in the first it's more likely to be Curry from Wake Forest. He's the best OLB out there and can do everything. Leads his team in tackles, covers well, and will get some sacks. Should be going around our pick as well.