PDA

View Full Version : Early Line: Houston -10 over Cincinnati

MojoMan
10-21-2008, 12:11 PM
The Texans are 10 point favorites for the second week in a row.

http://covers.usatoday.com/data/odds.aspx

This is the same spread the Texan's were favored by over the Lions last week, and they did not cover. Will they cover this week?

Personally, I believe they will.

What do you think?

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
We're going into week 8 and I've yet to see our defense stop anybody on a consistant basis. No, we won't cover the spread.

IMO, we'll be lucky yo get a win. Housh, CJ, Henry, etc. vs. Texans secondary = Complete domination no matter the QB throwing to them.

I'll take Cincy +10 for a 1000, Alex

Texan_Bill
10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
We're going into week 8 and I've yet to see our defense stop anybody on a consistant basis. No, we won't cover the spread.

IMO, we'll be lucky yo get a win. Housh, CJ, Henry, etc. vs. Texans secondary = Complete domination no matter the QB throwing to them.

I'll take Cincy +10 for a 1000, Alex

Yo homeboy... The Bungles are dead last in total offense. With that said, playing our defense they will look like a top 15 offense. Now reverse the rolls, our offense against their 19th ranked defense. We crush them for 475 yards total offense, but only win 31-20 because of -2 turnover ratio... :gun:

ObsiWan
10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
That's a sucker play. I mean, have we EVER covered??

gtexan02
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty confident we'll win, but I wouldn't bet it will be by 10 or more. The only games we've had chances in this season have been scarily close. Even last week. So theres reason for me to believe we'll suddenly blow someone out.

McNair knows that the economy is bad, so I'm guessing he's asked the team to keep it real close until the last play. That way, everyone stays longer and buys more stuff. Brilliant man (lame joke attempt)

MojoMan
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
That's a sucker play. I mean, have we EVER covered??

If we don't cover against the Bengals, there is a good chance we never will.

However, I think the Texans rock this week. They looked great for the first two quarters against the Lions. That game was not actually as close as the final score suggested.

disaacks3
10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I figure this is the game where we finally get it together and start fixing the turnover ratio. The Offense should look good (Andre Davis' injury notwithstanding).

Unfortunately, I still think the D gets burned for 2-3 HUGE plays and we 'barely' hold on for the win. (+/- 6 pt margin of victory)

Thorn
10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
We'll make Texan's history with our first 3 game winning streak.

However if we win by more than a touchdown I'll be surprised.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Yo homeboy... The Bungles are dead last in total offense. With that said, playing our defense they will look like a top 15 offense. Now reverse the rolls, our offense against their 19th ranked defense. We crush them for 475 yards total offense, but only win 31-20 because of -2 turnover ratio... :gun:

Right! It wouldn't be the first time Fitz torched our so-called defense. If Carson plays.....we lose.

MojoMan
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I looked at all the NFL lines on the USA Today site (http://covers.usatoday.com/data/odds.aspx) and noticed that Houston -10 is the biggest spread for any game scheduled this week.

They either have a lot of confidence in the Texans or no confidence at all in the Bengals. Maybe it is some of both.

texanhead08
10-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Its more the Bungals than the Texans. The Bungals are on the verge of quitting its a shock they haven't fired Marvin Lewis, but that would be a dream come true for him.

DiehardChris
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
That's ridiculous. 10 points??? With our secondary and their receivers? No way. We'll win - but no way.

Wolf6151
10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
10 points is nuts. If we win it's by 3 pts. or less, this will be a very close game and could even be a Bengals win if we're not careful.

ChampionTexan
10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Right! It wouldn't be the first time Fitz torched our so-called defense. If Carson plays.....we lose.

No Palmer on Sunday - it's definitely Fitzpatrick...

From the Article:
Lewis also ruled out quarterback Carson Palmer for the game Sunday in Houston. Palmer will rest his sore passing elbow for a second straight week. It's unclear whether he will play again this season. For now, Palmer is trying to see if the elbow heals with rest. If not, he has an option of having surgery.

LINK (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jkKMGJHbhjb5N-umAVivs2YOkHQQD93UF68O0)

edo783
10-21-2008, 02:29 PM
No way, IMO, do we cover 10 points. I expect a close game that could go either way.

Thorn
10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
No way, IMO, do we cover 10 points. I expect a close game that could go either way.

I tend to agree, but does this say the Bungles are not as bad as their record is, or that Houston is just not very good yet? Or both? LOL

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 02:34 PM
No Palmer on Sunday - it's definitely Fitzpatrick...

From the Article:

LINK (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jkKMGJHbhjb5N-umAVivs2YOkHQQD93UF68O0)

I suppose that's good news for us.

I'd like for once, just once, to be able to come out and punch a team in the face and Manning them until we're up at least a 40 burger. We only did it for a quarter and a half against the Lions.

Corrosion
10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
The Bungles gave the Steelers all they could handle for about three quarters last week .... playing a winless team is like playing russian roulette , the gun has nothing to lose. I think this is a close game , the Bungles arent as bad as their record.

Porky
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I'd take the points, but it really depends on which team shows up and for how long. If the team from half one last week shows up, we could win 38-10. If the team from half 2 shows up, we could lose 27-21.

Livid13
10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Do NOT touch this game unless you're a masochist, or simply want to lose money. They had the Lions by 21 and couldn't cover. NO! NO! NO!

Corrosion
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Do NOT touch this game unless you're a masochist, or simply want to lose money. They had the Lions by 21 and couldn't cover. NO! NO! NO!

I dont think any of us are foolish enough to put money on the line in this one.

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I dont think any of us are foolish enough to put money on the line in this one.

Apparently there are 12 folks willing to take the spread.

MojoMan
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Yes, but only in a poll on a message board. None of us have actually had to put any money on the line to record those votes. Some of this might just be a reflection of our die-hard support for the Texans.

:)

HOU-TEX
10-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, but only in a poll on a message board. None of us have actually had to put any money on the line to record those votes.

:)

Yeah, I know.

Personally, I suck at playing the spread. This past week I only got 4 correct. I wouldn't last very long if I were a betting man. :gun:

NBT
10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I think this is the game we finally start putting it all together like we did last season. BUT we need to put a boot in Kubiak's butt to make sure Richard Smith has a decent game plan ALL through the game. Don't take Fitzpatrick lightly. He can definitely hit his receivers if we give him the time. And that is the key to this game. Get a hard passrush and keep the pressure on all game long.

michaelm
10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Sunday, November 3rd 2002
The the 2-5 Houston Texans, coming off a 21-19 victory over the 3-3 Jaguars, host the 0-7 Cincinnati Bengals, who were an absolute train wreck at the time.
If memory serves, the Texans were favored by a decent margin. This may possibly be the first time we were favored in team history, but I could be wrong.
The end result was a 38-3 shellacking by the Bengals.

The situations are obviously far removed, and not exactly similar, but I can't think of this game without thinking of that game...

Texan_Bill
10-21-2008, 04:47 PM

I've got 31-20....

JWarren14
10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Whats the O/U at right now thats probably a safer play, or just play the ML. I got hosed with the Detroit game last week, Cincy ATS alll the way!

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't know why, I just have a feeling that this game might be a our first blow out victory.

If you guys noticed a trend since the beginning season, you'll see we improve every week. The trend goes like this:

PIT - We get blown out and look horrible in every aspects of the game from Q1-Q4.

TEN - We keep it close in the 1st half. It gets ugly in the 3rd and we get blown out in Q4.

JAC - We finally look good and take turns throwing punches with them. We keep it close and tie it at the end of regulation, but came up short in OT.

INDY - We look great and dominate them on both sides from Q1-Q4.... until the last 5 minutes.

MIA - We kept it close and took home an ugly win.

DET - We blow them out the first half and manage a win, but let them score in second half.

Review:
week 1 - Dominated from Q1-Q4, blown out. L

week 3 - Kept up and look decent Q1-Q2, collapse and dominated in
Q3-Q4, blown out. L

week 4 - Kept up from Q1-Q4, Collapse in OT, close loss. L

Week 5 - Dominate opposing team from Q1-Q3 1/2, collapse in last 5 mins, close loss. L

Cycle restart, win seires.

Week 6 - Kept it close Q1-Q4, won in final secs, close win. W

week 7 - Dominate in Q1-Q2, maintain lead but lead margin slips in Q3-Q4, win by 7. W

week 8(cont. trend) - Dominate throughout and end the game in blow out.

The trend is, we get better by the halves with every game.

MojoMan
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
I don't know why, I just have a feeling that this game might be a our first blow out victory.

If you guys noticed a trend since the beginning season, you'll see we improve every week. The trend goes like this:

The trend is, we get better by the halves with every game.

Call me silly, but I think the Texans still have a chance to be a playoff team this year. They must do a better job at stopping the turnovers or they are finished. Except for the turnovers, this is a much better team than their record indicates.

Ryan
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know why everyone is saying that we can't cover this spread. There is a very legitimate reason why they haven't won a game yet, THEY'RE NOT VERY GOOD.

Although Houshyomama or Ocho Cinco up against Faggins would scare me to death.

J-Russ
10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Call me silly, but I think the Texans still have a chance to be a playoff team this year. They must do a better job at stopping the turnovers or they are finished. Except for the turnovers, this is a much better team than their record indicates.

I hope so. I think our offense will continue to get better, but in the end I see our defense losing alot of games for us this year.

TEXANS84
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Sunday, November 3rd 2002
The the 2-5 Houston Texans, coming off a 21-19 victory over the 3-3 Jaguars, host the 0-7 Cincinnati Bengals, who were an absolute train wreck at the time.
If memory serves, the Texans were favored by a decent margin. This may possibly be the first time we were favored in team history, but I could be wrong.
The end result was a 38-3 shellacking by the Bengals.

The situations are obviously far removed, and not exactly similar, but I can't think of this game without thinking of that game...

"Next week, I assure you a win,'' receiver Chad Johnson said. "I guarantee you we will win.''

The Texans, as one might expect, were not thrilled with Johnson's comments.

"I don't think it's one player's job to come out and put a bounty out like that," Texans defensive tackle Gary Walker told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Monday. "They're struggling to get established, just like we are. We don't look like the expansion team.

"I don't even know the guy (Johnson). Obviously, if he's going to come out and make statements like that, he needs to show up on film a little more."

Chad Johnson guarantees victory over the Texans as an 0-7 team (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-246876.html)

Texan_Bill
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Chad Johnson guarantees victory over the Texans as an 0-7 team (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-246876.html)

2002---->David Carr---->Corey Bradford---->James Allen / J. Wells

2008---->Matt Schaub---->Andre Johnson----> Slaton / Green

Obviously the 2002 defense was much better though...

ATXtexanfan
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
we will cover that spread like petey covering CJ

TheRealJoker
10-21-2008, 08:39 PM
2002---->David Carr---->Corey Bradford---->James Allen / J. Wells

2008---->Matt Schaub---->Andre Johnson----> Slaton / Green

Obviously the 2002 defense was much better though...

Wasn't the 2002 defense the best in franchise history?

How sad :(

Giant Tiger
10-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, the Bengals are a better team than the Lions, so we'll need to score a lot to beat them. I say 31-27 Texans :)

mexican_texan
10-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm taking the Bengals. No way we win.

imatexan
10-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Everyone seems a little nervous about this game, even though yall are saying we should win.

mexican_texan
10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Wasn't the 2002 defense the best in franchise history?

How sad :(
No, it was in 2004, we pitched a shutout and went something like 13 quarters without giving up a TD.

MojoMan
10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Houston 35 - Cincinnati 6

The Texans win, covering the spread with what appeared to be the greatest of ease.

This was a good day to be a Houston Texans fan.

Malloy
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Houston 35 - Cincinnati 6

The Texans win, covering the spread with what appeared to be the greatest of ease.

This was a good day to be a Houston Texans fan.

and a good day to put money on the spread :)

edo783
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
To be honest, I really didn't think they would cover. Bungles didn't seem to be as bad of a team as the record indicated. I expected to win, but with something around a TD difference. This was a true blowout. Good job by the guys.

disaacks3
10-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I figure this is the game where we finally get it together and start fixing the turnover ratio. The Offense should look good (Andre Davis' injury notwithstanding).

Unfortunately, I still think the D gets burned for 2-3 HUGE plays and we 'barely' hold on for the win. (+/- 6 pt margin of victory) I'm more than happy to be dead on with the first part and WAY OFF w/ the second part.

WTG texans - Took care of business today. :redtowel: