PDA

View Full Version : Petey Faggins

Joe Texan
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
I saw this guy get crispified on a 96 yard bomb and the very next play, the extra point he is laughing in the huddle and gets burned on the 2 point conversion. how much of ths are we gonna have to swallow before they let the young guys try to take the job he does so poorly. I know he has chewed off his fingers knowing Dunta is chomping at his heels. I cannot wait till this guy gets the Ax, he is as bad as NoTime.

bah007
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Maybe our DC should know better than to put Faggins in man coverage on the freak that is Calvin Johnson.

By now, we should all know what Petey is capable of. And covering CJ one on one isn't one of those things.

I'm certainly not happy about it. But he is what he is. A nickelback who is for some reason playing man coverage on one of the best WRs in the league.

TEXANS84
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
This was actually a topic on 610 on the way home. And they made valid points.

Bennett is the best cover corner right now on the team, step for step.
Reeves and Faggins are corners, but not good "cover" corners.

Bennett is sitting on the bench. Faggins is starting. Bennett also slid to the #4 corner when Dunta came back, with Molden at #5.

Makes me wonder what Fred did so bad to earn that role. Sure, Petey has had a couple good games...but I believe Fred is the better cover corner. I have no idea why Molden isn't in on any plays except for special teams considering how high everyone was on him in training camp.

I'm also sick of the corners only playing one side of the field. If it were up to me (and if Dunta was healthy), your #1 corner should play the #1 reciever. I just don't get Hoke's philosophy from day one, how the #1 plays the right side, #2 plays the left. ???

hradhak
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
When Dunta gets better, he'll definitely be our #1. I can't imagine that Faggins is starting when Dunta takes over again as the starter.
Now if only Bennett would get the start along with him, that would make our secondary pretty good. Not sure why Bennett is #4 on the depth chart.

PapaL
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Considering Corners are suppose to covering players, shouldn't our best cover corners be on the field? As opposed to our best non-cover corners, if such a thing really exists.

DRob - I don't see him being healthy and being himself until next year. This would be his putting work in to really get back next year.

TexansLucky13
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
The thing is, on another Lions drive, Freddie B broke up what would have been a near TD by CJ. He was stride for stride with him and moved his body into excellent position.

Why our best vertical defender is not starting is beyond me. Toss Petey.

gtexan02
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
I Like Petey. He plays a role. You don't need a team with 5 starting caliber CBs to win. He is a good nickel or dime corner, and is great at defending 3rd and long situations.

The problem with him is that he's not fast. As far as the NFL goes, Petey is slow. Why they keep matching him 1 on 1 with the other teams fastest player is a coaching problem, not a personnel problem. That was a dumb move on the coaches, end of story.

Joe Texan
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
How many times do we have to go through this while Peetey laughs at his mistakes in the huddle. Can him right now.

gtexan02
10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
How many times do we have to go through this while Peetey laughs at his mistakes in the huddle. Can him right now.

How do we have any idea what he was laughing about or if he was laughing? Maybe he was crying, and it looked like laughing?

Maybe he was feeling really crappy, and DeMeco knew he needed a mentally ready Petey to hold up on the 2 pt conversion, so he said something funny.

If he was actually laughing as in "Oops, My bad. Hahaha" Then yeah, thats a problem

But its too difficult for a fan to know what was going on. The coaches like his work ethic and attitude. I'll cut him a break on this one, because I think it was a terrible deensive call

False Start
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Yeah, that really gets to me. When I screw something up at my job I sure as hell don't laugh about it. My boss man would tear me a new one.

Fox
10-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I think Petey has a role to play on this team, but it's one that requires safety help over the top at all times. Ultimately he should be a nickel or dime back, and shouldn't be paired all alone with an elite receiver. I think he can be a very productive player for us in that setting.

Reeves takes a lot of grief this season, but honestly I'm not sure I can remember him getting flat out burned this year. He shadows everyone pretty much step for step. As most of you know the problem is he can't get his head turned. Once he figures that out, if he figures that out, he could be a pretty damn good #2 IMO. As of now, he's alright.

Bennett is a player that's still learning in my book. Appears to have great athleticism, can match up with the taller receivers and compete for jump balls. Seems to have good ball skills. I don't think he's as good at shadowing his man as Reeves yet, I see him bite on more double moves and falling a step back more often. Not intending to bash him, I think he should start over Faggins and has a chance to be a very good player but I think in year 2 now he's still honing his game quite a bit.

Dunta is still a question mark until he has more time to get over his injury. Didn't see him approaching the ball carrier with quite the same aggressiveness as in the past, he's got some rust to shake off.

Finally, Molden needs some PT. Looked good in pre-season to me, we should give him some snaps as the year progresses and see how he's progressing.

All in all, no superstars but plenty of talent to be a good secondary with the proper coaching/support. I think Petey is everyone's favorite whipping boy, but in the correct role is a solid player.

CloakNNNdagger
10-20-2008, 07:48 PM
The thing is, on another Lions drive, Freddie B broke up what would have been a near TD by CJ. He was stride for stride with him and moved his body into excellent position.

Why our best vertical defender is not starting is beyond me. Toss Petey.

Bennett has been missing tackles (like that's been anything new for much of the D). His shoulder may still be a problem.......and that would certainly be a factor that could lead to questionable tackling practices........and a limited showing.

TexansLucky13
10-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Bennett has been missing tackles (like that's been anything new for much of the D). His shoulder may still be a problem.......and that would certainly be a factor that could lead to questionable tackling practices........and a limited showing.

True but it hasn't effected him from the waist down... and that's where Petey struggles. A poster used the term "maxed out" and I think that is appropriate.

Norg
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Bottom line is SOme people in our secondary need to be replaced during the off season

Faggins being one of them hes been burned for the last time and has costed us many games in the past

Joe Texan
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
He was in the huddle Laughing and saying sorry guys, If your truly sorry why you laughing, You took our confidence and threw it in the trash.

J-Russ
10-20-2008, 08:19 PM
IMO, they use Faggins as a motivational tool for Bennett. Sorta like that episode in King of the Hill when Bobby was on the track team. Everytime someone slacks off or screws up the coach replaces them with Bobby to embarasses em, because really how you going to let a fat, slow kid replace you, a real athlete?

Same thing with Faggins, how you going to let that slow, crappy CB replace you, Bennett? No wonder he sounded pissed off in that chron article, nobody wants to be replaced by Faggins. The embarrassments can't get any lower then that.

But really, Kubiak did it at the right time, during the Fins and Lions game(gimme games), and it worked because Bennett is starting to play like his old self again. Kubiak would've never done this 'experiment' against a team like CLE, or INDY. The whole coaching staff knows Petey would be 'Lee Evaned' all game long if it was against teams like them.

Norg
10-20-2008, 08:19 PM
i always laugh when iam under pressure maybe he cant help it

J-Russ
10-20-2008, 08:27 PM

Maybe he smokes up a joint before a game. That would explain why he loses concentration when covering a receiver one on one. and the laughing...

imatexan
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I completely agree! He has to gooo!

Marcus
10-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Let's see.

Happen to know anyone on the team who could cover Calvin Johnson?

I thought so.

leebigeztx
10-21-2008, 01:33 AM
In football, u can't hide players. Go and ask dallas how they did hiding roy wiliams.People want to say play the slot. Most times those are the quick shifty route runner types. I mean roscoe in buffalo, wade in minny, gonzales in indy, and on really good teams, they'll move on of their good wr's in the slot because they have the entire field to work with. Bottomline, he should be on the bench.

BSofA04
10-21-2008, 03:05 AM
http://www.sports790.com/cc-common/mlib/589/10/t_589_1224513818.jpg

Saw this on another board, thought it was funny...and sad.

barrett
10-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Let's see.

I thought so.

i believe it has already been stated that Bennett covered him and made a play on the ball to break up an otherwise clear touchdown.

BigBull17
10-21-2008, 08:09 AM
By now, we should all know what Petey is capable of. And covering NFL WR one on one isn't one of those things.

There, fixed it for ya. He brings nothing to the table what so ever.

BuffaloglennTX
10-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Let's see.

I thought so.

Exactly - no one in the league can cover a 6'5", 4.2 speed 235lb receiver one on one. It doesn't happen without getting toasted at least once a game, especially since the Texans were not getting enough pressure on the rookie QB with the banged up Lions' offensive line. As has already been posted, Faggins is good in nickle and dime packages, and either should have had safety help on that play or the coaches simply made a poor decision. Can TO be covered one-on-one? No. Can our own Andre Johnson be covered one-on-one? No.

BigBull17
10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I Like Petey. He plays a role. You don't need a team with 5 starting caliber CBs to win. He is a good nickel or dime corner, and is great at defending 3rd and long situations.

The problem with him is that he's not fast. As far as the NFL goes, Petey is slow. Why they keep matching him 1 on 1 with the other teams fastest player is a coaching problem, not a personnel problem. That was a dumb move on the coaches, end of story.

There arent too many slow guys at WR in the NFL. Even those slot guys. He has no place on an NFL roster, except maybe special teams. Its pathetic that they try to force feed how good he is when its painfuolly obvious hes not.

gtexan02
10-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Calvin Johnson had 2 catches all game. ALL GAME. And one of those was a hail mary where he wasn't even in the end zone. So Calvin Johnson had ONE catch.

From what I've heard, Harrison was supposed to be the deep cover on that play. He blew his assignment and was benched. As was Petey.

DeMarcus is a good cover corner if he has safety help or if he isn't covering a 4.3 guy. He doesn't have 4.3 speed. He can cover #2 and possession receivers.

A team with a terrible secondary CAN NOT afford to just ditch our only veterans. Thats a terrible strategy, and setting us up for failure. We aren't a team with enough depth to just outright cut starters on our team. Especially when the mistake is, in my opinion, on the coaches.

We as fans have got to quit having such knee jerk reactions. Petey got burned by Lee Evans years ago. He got burned by Calvin Johnson. Both are speedsters. How many CBs in the league would be cut after playing Randy MOss or AJ if every team cut whoever got burned.

I'm not saying that Petey is great, or even very good. I'm saying he's solid when he's used correctly. There are maybe 10-15 corners in this league who can match up with anybody at any time. Otherwise, I'd say all the rest of them are going to need help against the elite WRs every once in a while.

Am I glad he's a starter on this team? No. But at the same time, I know he's our best option at the moment

spurstexanstros
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM
They can no longer play hide the Petey... I am so tired of "lee evans" type plays, that or he gives up big first downs when they really need a third down stop. If he is gonna press Cj at least put a shoulder into in within the first 5 yds.

bigbrewster2000
10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
They can no longer play hide the Petey... I am so tired of "lee evans" type plays, that or he gives up big first downs when they really need a third down stop. If he is gonna press Cj at least put a shoulder into in within the first 5 yds.

They were not playing hide the Petey. Give the guy some credit. He is a very good Cover guy on short to medium passing routes. I am all for guys having opinions and blowing off steam on message boards but the way some of you guys act when players make mistakes is just a TAD bit rediculous.

Petey cannot cover deep, well known fact. He should have had safety help over the top. That was either a coaching issue or a blown assignment by Harrison.

If your argument is Bennett should have been on the field instead then I 100% agree with you. But to say Petey shouldnt be on the team or on the field as a nickle or dime back is inacurate.

Double Barrel
10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
From what I've heard, Harrison was supposed to be the deep cover on that play. He blew his assignment and was benched. As was Petey.

Bingo! I'm glad you made this point, gtex. Faggins was supposed to have help on that play and the defense just broke down yet again. Where was our pass rush on that play? We've got a sub-par QB in the freakin' endzone, and dude is able to stand back there long enough for that bomb to develop?!

Our defense is seriously bad, and Faggins is this week's dunce on a stool to represent it.

barrett
10-21-2008, 11:32 AM
according to Kubiak Faggins was supposed to be deep. I haven't heard anything about the safety. i haven't finished listening to the Kubiak show though. maybe i'm not up to speed but at the press conference he said Faggins was supposed to be deep. all that quarter half quarter stuff... i don't know what that means. does that mean a saftey is supposed to be over him?

beerlover
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Petey defines the melancholy state of affairs of the Texans db's forever but of course has really only been since inception :headhurts:

BigBull17
10-21-2008, 12:18 PM
In football, u can't hide players. Go and ask dallas how they did hiding roy wiliams.People want to say play the slot. Most times those are the quick shifty route runner types. I mean roscoe in buffalo, wade in minny, gonzales in indy, and on really good teams, they'll move on of their good wr's in the slot because they have the entire field to work with. Bottomline, he should be on the bench.

Um, they broke his arm with a hammer?

BigBull17
10-21-2008, 12:20 PM

And thats the point, its not just speed guys. EVERYONE makes catches. Look at some stats and see how many 3rd and 8+ we give up. I bet its sickening.

The Pencil Neck
10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
according to Kubiak Faggins was supposed to be deep. I haven't heard anything about the safety. i haven't finished listening to the Kubiak show though. maybe i'm not up to speed but at the press conference he said Faggins was supposed to be deep. all that quarter half quarter stuff... i don't know what that means. does that mean a saftey is supposed to be over him?

My understanding from what Kubiak said was that Petey was supposed to be playing back. He wasn't going to be getting safety help so he shouldn't have been playing up on his man.

texanhead08
10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Petey couldn't cover me.

Fox
10-21-2008, 03:49 PM
My understanding from what Kubiak said was that Petey was supposed to be playing back. He wasn't going to be getting safety help so he shouldn't have been playing up on his man.

That was my take on Kubiak's comment as well. Seems like a coaching gaffe to me. Even if Faggins played way off the line there's no way I want him to be the last man between CJ and the end zone.

Mr teX
10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Petey is garbage & i don't need a 97 yd. TD in 2008 to tell me what i've known since 2004......

the fact that we have him as a starter speaks volumes about the terrible state our secondary is in. In this day & age, the TE's are usually the 3rd options for Qb's as they are most times athletic enough to flex out & run routes like a WR & that's nearly half the league at this point...so those of you advocating we keep him as a nickel back & for "veteran leadership" lol, do you really want to see him trying to cover an Antonio Gates or a Dallas Clark?

he shouldn't be on the field except for in the gravest situations & in minimal spurts....as in special teams or both of our starters & nickel CB is hurt.......that's it.

Mr teX
10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
That was my take on Kubiak's comment as well. Seems like a coaching gaffe to me. Even if Faggins played way off the line there's no way I want him to be the last man between CJ and the end zone.

That's my take on it as well. I was at the game & had a backside view of the play & there was no safety for miles after he caught that pass. It was a coaching gaffe (surprise, surprise!:brickwall:) to let faggins go 1 on 1 with CJ.

but imo it's more on Faggins simply b/c he was not in the correct position to begin with. If he's off CJ the customary 5 (in our case 7) he's not burnt so easily as he was, the ball doesn't come out as quick & maybe by then the D-line is there to sack Orlovsky or at make him throw it away.

Polo
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
But the Texans have the talent to compete if only the co-ordinator used them right...:rolleyes:

suuuuurrre....

That's why we've failed to find an upgrade over Petey Faggins since our inception....

That's why we can afford for players to get hurt...Because of all the talent and depth we have that our D-coordinator fails to use...

Question: Haynesworth is a beast. Does the Titans defense take a huge step back if he misses a game or two?

Question: Mario is a beast. Would our defense miss him much if he had to sit out a game or two?

With all the serviceable talent we have, I'm guessing no. We could always depend on other guys to step up and atleast play at a winning level right ?

The only scheme that keeps Petey from getting burnt is one that keeps him on the sidelines...

leebigeztx
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
I want people who defend faggins to really think about this. How many playofff quality teamshave a 3rd corner as bad as fagginss? 0. Why? Because the trend has been going like this for yrs that ur 3rd corner plays 60% of the snaps. In essence, the 3rd corner plays more than the slb. That's why ur team either needs to have a 3rd corner or a matchup safety that can cover like a corner. Just think in the the division with th teams and tell me who does petey match up with as a nickel or dime back. Is he gong to cover clark or gonzales in indy? Can he cover northcutt or even mercedes? Can he cover scaife or any of the 3rd type guys titans have? So lets expand outside the divison. Show me 1 3rd wr you feel confortable with faggins playing against in the slot. I mean this week, he's eithergoing to get tj or henry. If you think the nickel or dime cbcan be as weak as faggins, then obviously ur not thinking about the playoff potential.

BuffaloglennTX
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I want people who defend faggins to really think about this. How many playofff quality teamshave a 3rd corner as bad as fagginss? 0. Why? Because the trend has been going like this for yrs that ur 3rd corner plays 60% of the snaps. In essence, the 3rd corner plays more than the slb. That's why ur team either needs to have a 3rd corner or a matchup safety that can cover like a corner. Just think in the the division with th teams and tell me who does petey match up with as a nickel or dime back. Is he gong to cover clark or gonzales in indy? Can he cover northcutt or even mercedes? Can he cover scaife or any of the 3rd type guys titans have? So lets expand outside the divison. Show me 1 3rd wr you feel confortable with faggins playing against in the slot. I mean this week, he's eithergoing to get tj or henry. If you think the nickel or dime cbcan be as weak as faggins, then obviously ur not thinking about the playoff potential.

We can bash Faggins all we want and talk about the playoffs, he sucks, can't get us to the playoffs etc. That's great. Guess what, we don't have a bunch of other options waiting to fill in for him at this point. Once Dunta is up to speed (however many weeks that is) and Bennett pulls his head out and the coaches start him again we'll be in better shape, and then hopefully Faggins will be used only in dime situations and on special teams and everyone can quit bitching (about him). Show me a corner in the NFL that have never been toasted - and I'll bet you he's never been in the lineup.

gtexan02
10-22-2008, 08:52 AM

What do you want the Texans to do exactly? Go out and sign a starting caliber CB? Oh wait, there aren't any.
Make a trade with someone for a starting caliber CB? Oh yeah, there are none of those either.

Petey got burned on a 96 yarder against CJ when he was going one on one with the guy. Any coach should have seen that as a potential problem. Faggins isn't 4.3 fast, so to put him one on one with a 4.3 receiver is just a bad idea. Other than that, CJ was basically held catchless. I thought he actually played a decent game (other than that one mistake, which I still blame the scheme on)

No one on this board is going to argue that Faggins is "good" or "great." Last year, he ranked in the bottom 10 of cornerbacks if you look at his metrics (average yards allowed per pass attempt direct his way). Is he starting material? Not for a lot of teams. But to say he needs to be replaced just doesn't make sense. Replaced by whom, exactly? Obviously the coaching staff doesn't feel like Molden is ready. With the exception of last Sundays gross mis-play, I think he is actually having a better year than last year

If it will make you feel any better, check out this highlight video of Saints starter Fred Thomas from last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT9BmG7_PJ4

Malloy
10-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Can TO be covered one-on-one? No. Can our own Andre Johnson be covered one-on-one? No.

Bingo!

Most people around here are screaming 'THROW IT TO DRE!' everytime someone puts him in single cover. Same goes for other teams and Calvin Johnson. Leaving corners one-on-one with these guys is just asking for a slap in the face.

leebigeztx
10-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Its onee thing to be slow as a corner, its another to be slow and have poor technique. As a corner in press playing against a guy like calvin, u have to get ur hands on the guy and re direct him. That's just poor technique. Then in previous weeks, he was giving up inside leverage. That's also poor technique. To another poinnt, woodson and tramon williams held wayne and marvin to 5 catches and about 50 yds total. Springs locked down t.o. If you have a memory, clements used to shut johnson down. Now i'll give u those guys are good corners, but I thought bennett should hhave been on johnson. If petey is going to make young player mistakes, u might as well play the young guys.

Mr teX
10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
But the Texans have the talent to compete if only the co-ordinator used them right...:rolleyes:

suuuuurrre....

That's why we've failed to find an upgrade over Petey Faggins since our inception....

That's why we can afford for players to get hurt...Because of all the talent and depth we have that our D-coordinator fails to use...

Question: Haynesworth is a beast. Does the Titans defense take a huge step back if he misses a game or two?

Question: Mario is a beast. Would our defense miss him much if he had to sit out a game or two?

With all the serviceable talent we have, I'm guessing no. We could always depend on other guys to step up and atleast play at a winning level right ?

The only scheme that keeps Petey from getting burnt is one that keeps him on the sidelines...

All it says is that Faggins screwed up more than Smith did. Faggins should've been back & whether that was faggins freestyling out there or called for in the defensive call is really not known & no one is talking so.... but Smith's defensive call in the secondary shouldn't have never called for Faggins to be left 1 on 1 with CJ with no safety help in the 1st place.

Yeah Detroit hadn't moved the ball well all game save for 1 drive & yeah, they were backed up in the shadow of their own goal posts which most teams don't like to throw backed up that far in their own area. But even with all that, you still had to figure that they were going to come out throwing that drive b/c they were down by 3 scores at that point & throwing the ball in hopes of gettting a quick strike was the only way they were gonna get back in the game....& they got just that aided in no small part by Faggins & Smith.

All it does is make his defensive call in the secondary look even more inexplicable.

Polo
10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
but Smith's defensive call in the secondary shouldn't have never called for Faggins to be left 1 on 1 with CJ with no safety help in the 1st place.

You want the man to call creative plays yet cover up for every players deficiencies at the same time?

Faggins would need a safety over his head all game long in order to assist him in not getting burned....You don't think that'd severley limit the d-coordinator? According to Demeco he's already limited in the blitzes he can call because of personnel...

Yeah, we do need the second coming at D-coordinator if we're going to turn these same guys into a good defensive unit.

Mr teX
10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
You want the man to call creative plays yet cover up for every players deficiencies at the same time?

Faggins would need a safety over his head all game long in order to assist him in not getting burned....You don't think that'd severley limit the d-coordinator? According to Demeco he's already limited in the blitzes he can call because of personnel...

Yeah, we do need the second coming at D-coordinator if we're going to turn these same guys into a good defensive unit.

A coach's job is to put his players/team in the best positions to make plays & ultimately win the game. Tell me, which of those did smith accomplish by leaving his 2nd CB out like that against the team's # 1 deep threat? The situation dictates what you do at that point. It hadn't really been a close game up to that point & all he had to do was let the clock work against the lions by calling defensive plays that call for them to dink & dunk down the field. sure they might score, but they assuredly will have taken 3-5 minutes or more off the clock....if they didn't wind up punting the ball or turning the ball over. Remember this was the lions we were playing not the friggin' 2007 patriots. That whole series Petey & Reeves should've had safeties over the top to discourage the deep throw & quick score..& it would've been nothing wrong with that. You don't see teams on offense up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter chunking hail marys do ya? no they run clock & then assume the victory formation at about the 2 minute mark.

Im not saying we have the best talent out there to shut down opponents b/c we obviously don't have that, but as i've stated before, too often the coaching is working against the players & Smith is the #1 culprit of that. The game was made tougher than it should've been b/c both parties screwed up.

Polo
10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Do you realize that Smith had been leaving both Reeves and Faggins one on one with CJ all day?

Mr teX
10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Do you realize that Smith had been leaving both Reeves and Faggins one on one with CJ all day?

1 on 1 as in man coverage? i don't know about that.... Detroit didn't hit on many passes but the ones they did hit on were those post corners to furrey & that suggests to me they played cover 2 alot. He might've been doing it every so often but i forgot to record the game so i couldn't rewatch it when i got home.

In any case it wouldn't surprise me that Smith would do that....Which raises another question. If Demeco is saying Smith feels limited in his blitz packages b/c of personnel, what makes smith think that he's so much more flexible in the secondary that he can afford to let his Cb's play only 1 side of the field regardless of who's over there? ....it just makes no sense.

Polo
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
If Demeco is saying Smith feels limited in his blitz packages b/c of personnel, what makes smith think that he's so much more flexible in the secondary that he can afford to let his Cb's play only 1 side of the field regardless of who's over there? ....it just makes no sense.

Demeco didn't say Smith felt limited....

He said that he thought the personnel wasn't suited for that...

And Corners playing on one side of the field isn't something Richard Smith came up with and decided to use...

Joe Texan
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Basically we cannot pick a good corner to shake a stick at. I can name several bad corners we have had or have

Jaques, Notime, Faggins

spurstexanstros
10-25-2008, 02:46 PM
They were not playing hide the Petey. Give the guy some credit. He is a very good Cover guy on short to medium passing routes. I am all for guys having opinions and blowing off steam on message boards but the way some of you guys act when players make mistakes is just a TAD bit rediculous.

Petey cannot cover deep, well known fact. He should have had safety help over the top. That was either a coaching issue or a blown assignment by Harrison.

If your argument is Bennett should have been on the field instead then I 100% agree with you. But to say Petey shouldnt be on the team or on the field as a nickle or dime back is inacurate.
Cover guy Really? I gues you must mean those plays when it is third and 8 and he gives a ten yard cushion.... I wont even begin to list the amount of game we have lost because of teams throwing at him to convert crucial third downs.
And thats the point, its not just speed guys. EVERYONE makes catches. Look at some stats and see how many 3rd and 8+ we give up. I bet its sickening.

obviously, bigbull has been paying attention...that or reading my "for the love of God someone please make a stop on third down threads." What is even more sickening if you look on those third and 8 plays the number of times Petey's name will turn up. He covers them but unfortunately it is after the first down marker.

ObsiWan
10-25-2008, 03:50 PM
TC's blog (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/10/houstontexans_talk_with_footba.html) addressed this issue yesterday. For those who haven't checked it out, here's what her special guest from Football Outsiders had to say about our CB decision

Last year, Bennett rated out as one of the best cornerbacks in the league by our metrics. Teams targeted Bennett 15% of the time when he was a starter, but Bennett succeeded in preventing teams from getting a healthy chunk of the yardage necessary for (or even from achieving) a first down 61% of the time. That was second-best in all of football. Passes in his direction averaged only 4.4 yards per attempt, best in football. When he [B] was on the opposing team's best receiver, he averaged 4.0 yards per attempt and a 63% success rate; Dunta Robinson averaged 7.8 yards per attempt and a 61% success rate, while DeMarcus Faggins averaged 10.4 yards per attempt and an abysmal 36% success rate. Bennett defensed -- directly prevented a completion by knocking a pass away or taking a catch away from a player -- on 17 of the 63 passes thrown to him. Faggins and Robinson combined for 13 defenses on 95 passes.

Fast-forward a year, and Bennett's been benched for Faggins, and with the return of Robinson, could be fourth on the depth chart. That's insane. Now, of course, just because Bennett had a good statistical half-a-year doesn't mean he's the best corner in the league; he undoubtedly got help from safeties in coverage (but then again, so did Robinson and especially Faggins), and he'd struggled some early this year. That being said, is Faggins really the answer? Has he ever shown anything resembling the level of ability that Bennett showed last year in the six seasons he's played for Houston. Not even close. Ignoring that to play Faggins is silly, and if you want to fire Richard Smith, that would be the first reason why.
There you have it. An independent assessment from someone "with no dog in the fight". Faggins sucks.

It also strikes me as interesting that Phillip Buchanon somehow turned into a decent CB when he got to Tampa Bay. Of course it could be that Aqib Talib is breathing down his neck.

beerlover
10-25-2008, 07:18 PM
herd mentality :deadhorse

spek
10-25-2008, 10:45 PM

I laugh when I get hurt really bad and am in alot of pain.
People just have different ways of dealing with things.